Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 73. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 37
June 10, 2018, 07:19:42 PM
GPU,
Can you explain the difference between your Accelerator and an EVO 970?  You guys are evolving the mining world to the next phase.
thanks

The difference is one is a hard drive and the other is an FPGA accelerator that happens to fit into the same slot.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
June 10, 2018, 06:34:26 PM
GPU,
Can you explain the difference between your Accelerator and an EVO 970?  You guys are evolving the mining world to the next phase.
thanks
Activity: 552
Merit: 500
June 10, 2018, 05:04:26 PM
Lots of things are changing in the mining world! This looks pretty promising! I deff want to try one on a rig or two!
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
June 10, 2018, 04:12:34 PM
This looks like a really promising middle ground between GPU and FPGA mining. I'd say it's a serious win if it manages to work out proerly.
Activity: 15
June 10, 2018, 03:58:55 PM
Hello David,

Thumbs up for the efforst and ingenuity. Survey is done. I aslo have a lot of questions. The order quantity depends on the results and the limitations of the Acorns. I will wait untill you publish the preliminary results so I can narrow my questions.

I have ordered one of the FPGAs from fpga.lan .and I was just thinking if the Acorn will influence/benefit also the FPGA. I'm almost sure what the answer will be but with my limited experience a second opinion will be good.

Can't wait to see the first test and result. Keep up the good work Smiley
Activity: 39
June 10, 2018, 02:59:19 PM
You will continue to use 1x risers for the GPUs.
There will be special miner software that does the offloading to the accelerator.

will this software work with my current mining programs?  Can I continue to run claymore, enemy, etc... or do I have to run GPUH or whoever else develops a FPGA accelerator mining software?

Im highly interested in this due to price and its current use.  But like mentioned before, a bunch of unanswered questions.  I know it takes time, but Im trying to make sure any future purchases will work with this and not be going backwards.
Activity: 58
Merit: 4
June 10, 2018, 12:26:34 PM
You will continue to use 1x risers for the GPUs.
There will be special miner software that does the offloading to the accelerator.
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
June 10, 2018, 09:48:00 AM
completed the survey.  A lot of unanswered questions so please a video or diagram would be great.  I realize due to hardware that everyone will have different hash rates and variables.

Perhaps you can build a FAQ from the questions asked and put them on the 1st page announcement to help others. 

So I'll ask about my specific motherboard on my rig, the Asus Prime Z270-A https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-A/
 -- it has 3 x PCIe 3.0 (GEN3)  SLI & 3-way  CFX Support
 -- even if I could put 3 GPUs in all 3 slots my guess is the first slot is the only one that will get full acceleration--the other two won't be as fast but would they be faster than 1x risers?
 -- so I get one of the M2 accelerator cards, put it in, put a 1080ti in slot 1 and fire up your mining software and then the rig will be hashing quicker.
 -- any benefit to filling the other two GPU slots on this motherboard or would they be the same as risers?

I don't need exact numbers, I'm just trying to figure out how this board would help with acceleration versus a mobo that has 2 x16 slots (if there's a critter).

Thanks!
Activity: 28
June 10, 2018, 04:23:48 AM
Thanks to OhGodAGirl I found this thread, now I have some ques to ask, Kristy mentioned that this FPGA will be reducing the load from GPU for GPU demanding Keccak and others part (NonFP ) which most known algorithm uses - ETH/Equi/(ProgPOW if it becomes reality). That means if this can do say Keccak part at 15W then the GPU Power usage will drop significantly - as mentioned by Kristy again. So can you confirm in details? Also your in-house test say for a OC'ed RX580 how much power can you save?

I can understand that exact values are not possible at this point of time, but can you share estimated % on say a RX580? If I buy.... the power part will be the main driver and will help me decide. Would appreciate if you can share some info on this.

The 3 models are present I can understand - what's the diff between using all these three - if you don't talk about the speed then how they differ? Only Diff between these 3 I read was on memory side, how well they will perform from each other?
Activity: 154
Merit: 37
June 09, 2018, 10:28:28 PM
Survey completed- and syndicated on YouTube  Cheesy

Hey thanks. Love to help more miners!

This uses our mining software (because of the very different way it works), but we will be publishing the interfaces to allow others to use it if they see fit.
Activity: 33
Merit: 1
June 09, 2018, 06:45:24 PM
Survey is completed. How does this work with mining software. For example will we still use Claymore or XMRStak etc?
Activity: 3
June 09, 2018, 04:06:31 PM
Survey Completed.

Trying to guess Which would be the better setup:

I currently have 2: 1060SC GPU's (I want to stick with this GPU) with room for one more on my board (Don't want to use risers).  If I add 1: CLE-215+ 1GB DRAM version to my M2 port, would it better to eventually:

Add one more 1060SC GPU or ad a PCI E card that could hold 2  more CLE-215+ 1GB DRAM's for solo mining or to further support the 2 1060sc's?

Don't know if you can GPU mine and solo mine with Acorns at the same time?

Right now mining ETC with GPUs and Kryptonite Heavy on the CPU

Current setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F 2x 1060sc 16GB DDR4 3200

Kinda new to mining, Thanks!
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
June 09, 2018, 02:54:13 PM
Awesome work GPUHoarder, I'm down for two of the high speed boards (CLE-215+ 1GB DRAM version).  Are you accepting crypto or fiat only?  Thanks!
June 09, 2018, 02:51:55 PM
Survey completed- and syndicated on YouTube  Cheesy
Activity: 117
Merit: 3
June 09, 2018, 02:43:13 PM
How important is pcie 3.0 4x bandwidth for this FPGA? Because I use 8 gpu riserless Onda mobos; the only way it'll connect is via m2 key host boards on Pcie 1x lanes.

Unfortunately if you don’t have any place with at least 4x PCIe 2.0 it will be difficult to use in the GPU hybrid role. You would be limited to standalone algorithms.

I would like to pre order
1 gig version please.

thanks
June 09, 2018, 01:25:06 PM
I'll take 3:    $329 on the high end highest speed grade CLE-215+ 1GB DRAM version, Thank You!
Activity: 39
June 08, 2018, 08:59:32 PM
I'm also waiting for updates on these.  Maybe more info on the best mother board configuration.  I currently have a Biostar with 1 16x and 5 1x slots and no m2.  Wondering what the best setup would be?  Connect it in the 16x slot?  Or buy another mother board with m2 connector?  Would the difference in performance pay for the motherboard in time of maybe 6 months?

Keep us updated
Activity: 9
June 07, 2018, 09:38:35 PM
Considering I have placed orders for VCU1525's, as well as having plenty of different models of GPU's/mobo/cpu's to test with, I would love to do a side by side comparison on the price/performance of these. Also very interested in seeing how this does paired with a 1950x vega rig. Keep us updated.
Activity: 113
Merit: 1
June 06, 2018, 09:59:45 AM

It indicates it has 3 x16 slots, but one covers up an m2.  That will probably be OK (3 GPU's on 1 m2 connected FPGA accelerator), but I def am not an authority.  That represents my best target on first pass.

Hopefully this helps, spurns some discussion and research. 

The x16 (or 16 lanes) number refers to the bandwidth and size, that said, just because it is a x16 size slot does not mean it will run full bandwidth.  The processor has a certain number of PCIE lanes that it will support, as does the chipset.  Most modern consumer intel cpus will support 16 lanes, with the chipset supporting another 16+ lanes.  For example the z270 chipset supports 24, so any system with that will support 40 lanes total.  This is why you see these mining motherboards with an insane amount of 1x sized pci slots to use with risers.  Normally mining doesnt require much pcie bandwidth as everything is computed on the GPUs.  But when you have instances where the gpu needs to communicate with something else (i.e. an accelerator) then bandwidth becomes an issue

short version is this (pls correct me if im wrong):

acorn needs 4 pcie lanes at gen 3 speed. this can be via an acorn in a m2 slot or in a pcie-m2 adapter provided the pcie slot that adapter is in is configured for 4 pcie lanes at gen 3 speed. this allows up to 4 gpus, each connected with one pcie lane at gen 3 speed to be accelerated. ie cards on x1 risers for example.

not all 16x slots have 16 pcie lanes, the bios can change that to a point.

my onda board (8 full size x16 slots, most that run with one pcie lane) for example has no m2 slots, but slot 0 can be run with 4 pcie lanes at gen 3 speed. so i put a pcie->m2 adapter with the acorn in that, and 4 cards get the benefit. the three other cards run on their own with no help from the acorn.

btw AFAIK cpu power has not been mentioned yet. G4400 here but easy to upgrade. memory was mentioned also but no minimum, just more is better.

not sure if this is what you were asking, if not my apologies

I agree with everything you said but with one thing.  My understanding from GPUH was that each of the attached GPUs only required one pcie lane at gen 2.0 speeds, not 3.0.  I could be wrong here as well, that is what I understood from the discord channel.

And as for CPU, on the discord channel, I asked about how old our CPUs can be, and i7 gen 2 are fine, heck even old Pentium e5200 are fine, so other than running your OS, the CPU does not play a role
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
June 06, 2018, 09:02:32 AM
Very interesting, have completed the survey.

Sounds like it could be a great addition to a sturdy rig that might need a bit of a lift. I happen to have one or two of those! Grin

We're indeed going to need some detailed real world scenarios, eg. what to expect from mobos with three full size slots running in 8x,8x,4x with risers, without risers, with weak CPU, low RAM etc...
Pages:
Jump to: