Pages:
Author

Topic: ACTUAL Butterfly Labs PCB pics! - page 8. (Read 40283 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
October 30, 2012, 08:59:47 AM
Very simplistic looking design.  Pretty.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
October 30, 2012, 04:18:11 AM

Stolen from https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/251-More-Jalapeno-Pictures-amp-Shipping-Update

Quote from: BFL_Josh;
Attached are some more pictures of the Jalapeno.  It's in one of it's prototype homes, but the design is changed and we are waiting on the updated box to be delivered now.  However, the fundamental design will remain unchanged, just some cosmetic changes (laser etched top, no silver, etc...)

We are not going to make the first half of November shipping goal.  Right now, I want to say fourth or fifth week of November, but lots of little issues have cropped up, pushing the shipping date out a bit here and there. To be on the safe side, I would estimate the end of November / beginning of December as a likely ship date.  We've had some trouble sourcing the VFD screens for the Minirig SC; the wharehouse told us they had about 5x as many screens as they really have on hand, so we are coming up short.  The good news is that we've come up with an alternate solution that is so full of awesome, I am going to save that for a later update. It is, however, necessitating a redesign of the Minirig SC case, though it won't really affect the timeline in any material fashion, as it's just one part that needs to be changed a bit to accommodate the new screen.

We are also still waiting on the HSF for the Single SC to show up - the factory has been a bit slow in that department, so that set things back a bit. 

We expect the final chip versions to be in our hands in ~25 days, with final assembly and shipping to begin a few days after that.
Activity: 412
October 30, 2012, 04:15:22 AM
I think they should go all the way and design a controller. Something like 16 USB ports of something crazy. Then jut arm and 256mb of ram. Then code some really basic Linux onto it and a ssh server. Then you can remote control it. Or scratch that. A device that supports daughter boards. Then you could buy 1 chip daughter boards,2 chip daughter boards etc etc etc.   
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
October 26, 2012, 11:12:30 PM
We should be keeping the price paied in mind when it comes to what kind of fan/heatsink/case combo they come up with. I'd like my money on the heatsink.
i dont NEED a case, And i Can replace a fan..., Dont know how the hell i'd get a new BFL heatsink
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
October 23, 2012, 05:41:46 AM

Haha, seeks like a little bit overkill but thanks for the idea Wink.

Many of the shipping FPGA Singles have a passive heatsink on the bottom already. I was just suggesting that  a similar approach could be taken (by BFL) for the SC Singles.

True that, hopefully BFL will do a similiar approach. But its always nice to have a backup plan if they don't Wink.
bce
Activity: 756
October 23, 2012, 02:06:02 AM
Why not just use these little guys?

I use some milled copper heatsinks very similar to these (or the 1,000 others available) and like them muchly.

As for "bracing" them against the case, bad idea to create new paths to ground.  Also, more noisy badness.

Good point- I cringe just thinking of copper scraping up against the case...  causing some non-loctite-coated screw to come loose or something  Tongue
Even if there were something insulating them (like eight non-electrically conductive thermal pads placed on the enclosure), it'd be a bad idea to have that tight a fit on a first run.

During the first production run, maybe it's best to just stick with the thermal adhesive copper heatsinks (<--pun) that may or may not fall off over time.
If BFL doesn't install them, I will do so on mine  Grin
Activity: 633
Merit: 500
October 22, 2012, 05:59:07 PM
If the boards are already made, and asics already placed, something like this would probably be enough:

What'd be ideal is if these were almost exactly the same height as the space between bottom of board to enclosure, so that if the thermal adhesive proves not to be reliable, at least the heatsinks will be kept in place (not a bunch of copper pieces shaking around and contacting the board).

Would it be possible to solder something like this to the board before the ASIC chips are placed?

That's what I keep thinking.  If the ships are not perfectly level, you're other going to crush them with the heatsink, or you're going to not have good contact with all of them.

Why not just use these little guys?
Activity: 295
October 22, 2012, 04:49:51 PM
I wonder what the ARM place holder is for ? how could an ARM chip benefit the board ?

I'm guessing that they put down that footprint to support a standalone miner eventually. Since there is starting to be plenty of mining software support for ARM processors (I'm mining on my Raspberry Pi currently), it wouldn't take much to run a light version on linux on-board the ARM processor to act as the controller.
Activity: 295
October 22, 2012, 04:44:38 PM
The pics with Henrietta are taken with my 5DMk2, though I scale them down for the web of course.

We actually agonized a lot over the plastic issue and went through scenario after scenario due to specifically that fact.  There a bunch of vias on the bottom of the board, and we were originally going to cool it from the bottom instead of the top, but simulation after simulation showed it was more effective from the top, so that's what we went with.  But the vias are still there for a bit of extra oomph when the clock rate is bumped up.

There's a pic of the back of the board on the BFL forums.

I actually find this hard to believe since the footprint of your ASIC looks to have a pad on the bottom for grounding and thermal dissipation (often called a heat slug). Usually the thermal conductivity to this pad is much higher than to the plastic case (I think I saw that ngzhang also mentioned this somewhere). Also, if you hadn't tented the vias on the bottom you'd get a higher thermal conduction to your heatsink (soldermask tends to be a thermal insulator).

Is this a 6 layer pcb?
Activity: 163
October 22, 2012, 04:43:13 PM
Pictures with the pig with wings to indicate that we'll get them ... when pigs fly?  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
October 22, 2012, 04:18:12 PM

It's not always easy to find something there, so the link is: the back of the board

Courtesy of: www.butterflylabs.com
Activity: 364
October 22, 2012, 04:08:57 PM

Here we go.
bce
Activity: 756
October 22, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
If the boards are already made, and asics already placed, something like this would probably be enough:

What'd be ideal is if these were almost exactly the same height as the space between bottom of board to enclosure, so that if the thermal adhesive proves not to be reliable, at least the heatsinks will be kept in place (not a bunch of copper pieces shaking around and contacting the board).

Would it be possible to solder something like this to the board before the ASIC chips are placed?
legendary
Activity: 922
October 22, 2012, 02:03:57 PM
It may be worthwhile putting a passive heatsink on the bottom as well to give the device more thermal headroom. Some/most/all of my FPGA Singles have this (some also have a small fan at the bottom).
What passive heatsink are you using on the bottom?
Many of the shipping FPGA Singles have a passive heatsink on the bottom already. I was just suggesting that  a similar approach could be taken (by BFL) for the SC Singles.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
October 22, 2012, 01:15:34 PM
It may be worthwhile putting a passive heatsink on the bottom as well to give the device more thermal headroom. Some/most/all of my FPGA Singles have this (some also have a small fan at the bottom).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cooling-bfl-singles-100662

Wink Grin Cheesy
Activity: 127
October 22, 2012, 01:04:56 PM

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
October 22, 2012, 12:40:54 PM

It's not always easy to find something there, so the link is: the back of the board

Have to login to view =[
RHA
Activity: 392
October 22, 2012, 12:39:02 PM

legendary
Activity: 922
October 22, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
We actually agonized a lot over the plastic issue and went through scenario after scenario due to specifically that fact.  There a bunch of vias on the bottom of the board, and we were originally going to cool it from the bottom instead of the top, but simulation after simulation showed it was more effective from the top, so that's what we went with.  But the vias are still there for a bit of extra oomph when the clock rate is bumped up.

I do hope it does not become necessary to put a small fan at the bottom of the board; the FPGA Singles that have it can be very/too loud and makes it impossible to create a 'quiet Single' by replacing the top main fan only. And since the ASICs will likely not be 'under-clockable', we would be limited in how far we can reduce airflow to reduce noise (the FPGA Singles can be loaded with slower firmware to reduce thermal output; not so with ASICs unfortunately).

I suspect we won't really know the answer to this until BFL has had a chance to run these things at full load in an actual enclosure.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
October 22, 2012, 11:33:16 AM
On topic: I like the formfactor very much on these PCBs. Easy to cool.
It is the same form factor as the current FPGA Singles.

The ASICs themselves appear to have a plastic top; not the most efficient thermal interface to a top-mounted metal heatsink. Although 7W/chip isn't huge, the combination of 8 of them in close proximity generates a lot of concentrated heat. Transferring 60W from plastic chips to a metal heatsink can be a challenge.

Also, mounting a monolithic heatsink across 8 separate chips poses another challenge: if those chips are not coplanar, the contact between the heatsink and some of the chips will not be 'perfect'; the gap will be taken up by the thermal transfer compound which would further restrict thermal conductivity.

The good news is that the SC Single uses less power than the FPGA Single, which will mitigate the situation a bit. Plus, the 8 ASIC chips, though plastic, have an overall larger surface area then the 2 metal-top FPGAs in the old Singles. More surface area makes it easier to transfer heat.

So all in all I don't think cooling these will be an issue; I'm sure BFL has already thought of all this and they have plenty of experience with the FPGA Singles. The SC board is 92mmx92mm, so it seems clear from the mounting holes that BFL will continue to use a standard 92mm fan for cooling.

This is the very reason why most RAM chips you see use Termal Pads, rathern than a compound. Any possibility that pads would be used instead of compound, or would 60W be too much for them?
Pages:
Jump to: