Pages:
Author

Topic: ACTUAL Butterfly Labs PCB pics! - page 5. (Read 40283 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 04, 2012, 08:27:54 PM
Read the thread, they were.

Wasn't it decided that these pics, while exciting, were still not of a functional unit as they are waiting on the asic chips?
Yes, still not functional, cases/side skirts and asic chips are not delivered yet, boards not produced.

That's simply impossible, for the FCC has one and BFL should be getting approval in a couple weeks. Make that two, for UnderwriterLabs (UL) has one also so that it'll be UL Listed/Approval. Now quit spreading FUD. The same process will apply for the other rigs as well, up to and including the $29K one.

Image the conversation at UL when that big ass rig arrives.

UL Guy 1: What the heck do we have here?
UL Guy 2: Never seen anything like it. Ready to plug it in?
UL Guy 1: I'm not pluggin' it in. You plug it in.
UL Guy 2: Fuck you, man! Hey! I got an idea. Let's get Mikey.
UL Guy 1: Yea, Mikey! He'll plug in anything.
UL Guy 1 & UL Guy 2 (in unison): Hey, Mikey!
UL Guy 2: Wait a second! We don't have to plug it in.
UL Guy 1: Why not?
UL Guy 2: Don't you see? It don't have an FCC sticker, so we don't have to inspect it.
UL Guy 1: Great! Send it back to the girls over at Butterfly Labs.
UL Guy 2: What I would give to watch one of their hot babes on the assembly line.
Activity: 568
Merit: 500
November 04, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

Wasn't it decided that these pics, while exciting, were still not of a functional unit as they are waiting on the asic chips?
Yes, still not functional, cases/side skirts and asic chips are not delivered yet, boards not produced.
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
November 04, 2012, 02:33:29 PM

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
November 04, 2012, 02:14:52 PM
legendary
November 04, 2012, 01:13:53 AM
When is the Jalapeno getting FCC approval?

Maybe two weeks? We are waiting for the test lab to issue the test report.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

Does that mean you have a functioning prototype you sent to the test lab?

MrTeal, you're an idiot! We all know that a physical working unit is not required. Only a sketch rendering the finish product.

But seriously, excellent question.

~Bruno K~
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
November 03, 2012, 01:51:03 PM
They are both for power, BFL stated. Just in case your computer isn't able to supply enought power trough one single USB port.
Activity: 651
Merit: 501
My PGP Key: 92C7689C
November 03, 2012, 01:45:53 PM
The most recent Jalapeño pictures to surface at the BFL forum show what look like two USB ports on the back. Would it be correct to assume that one is for power and data and the other is for more power?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 03, 2012, 12:52:12 PM

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

Does that mean you have a functioning prototype you sent to the test lab?
legendary
November 03, 2012, 12:47:44 PM

Can we assume that all the products will be UL Listed/Approved? http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/contactus/faq/industries/retailer/

If we are using all Recognized Components, does our product automatically become UL Listed?

The evaluation of an individual component is obviously limited to certain parameters. A UL evaluation of a complete product is needed to determine how these components function as a "system" in your end product. The use of Recognized Components reduces the complexity of the evaluation and can save you time and money.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Okey Dokey Lokey
November 03, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

*clapclap*
Now if only you had posted as BFL_josh so that people would take it seriously instead of sheeple going "unnnnn me no liek inaba, he lie in post"
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
November 03, 2012, 01:11:39 AM
It's either smaller than I expected or the hand model is a giant.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
November 03, 2012, 01:10:19 AM
Pretty sure it doesn't need that?  It's not a communications device...

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified.
This device is being sold by a manufacturer located in Missouri? or maybe WYoming?  which last I check was in the US.
Interesting!  My new tidbit of knowledge for the day then...
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
November 03, 2012, 01:03:19 AM

Activity: 956
November 02, 2012, 09:12:33 PM

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified.
This device is being sold by a manufacturer located in Missouri? or maybe WYoming?  which last I check was in the US.
Activity: 295
November 02, 2012, 07:58:01 PM

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
November 02, 2012, 07:54:19 PM
It verifies communications in the bitcoin network and can be used to relay communication in the form of binary messages in the form of multiple bitcoin transactions  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
November 02, 2012, 07:51:52 PM
Activity: 956
November 02, 2012, 07:36:06 PM
bce
Activity: 756
November 02, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
@ bce

I would think that if you start cutting on the circuit board you will void the warranty.

I would be more worried about voiding the functionality of the ASICs than the warranty on the board...  If only I could get some blank boards to mess with  Smiley.  I'm sure everyone will be careful with their SC singles when they first arrive, but it's only a matter of time before people try some modifications.  

I've got a couple of 5870s with stock VRM / RAM cooling and arctic cooling heatsinks.... running very cool all around - a hacksaw job that is definitely not warrantied, but running whisper quiet at 1000MHz  Grin.   I'll miss the days of the GPU in bitcoin mining.

Son, you need to invest in a Dremel.

That plus some desoldering string, replacement components, improved heatsinks, and abusing exposed circuitry has improved my experience with Singles immensely.

It looks like a mess, but I'm OK with that. Smiley

Yeah, Dremel was what I was thinking too!   I've already got the desoldering string, iron, and a little bit of experience successfully reflowing a board with a heat gun heh.  Check check and check.  I'll probably need to wait until I get all 3 of my SC Singles before experimenting though.    I'd love to see some pictures of those singles  Grin!
Pages:
Jump to: