Pages:
Author

Topic: Additional subsidy for P2Pool users: 1-3btc/day - page 4. (Read 29282 times)

donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Setting up one server for multiple miners isn't that much more work.  I think the bigger issue, and it is more easily solved, is monitoring.  I think a monitoring tool like BAMT's mgpumon would really help push some farms over, especially if it could send out alerts of idle miners (like many pools do).  I'll put up 5BTC for any monitor that I can access over ssh with a browser to monitor rigs running cgminer to a single p2pool node. And another .5 for 10 days to join coretechs if someone can tell me how to do it from a gui wallet.

EDITED
donator
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
Integration would be really helpful.  For bigger miners with lots of nodes, the current setup is pretty flexible though.  Just run it on a box with bitcoind and point all your miners there.  Do what is right for bitcoin and benefit - no more DDoS outages and better control of your hashing power.

I'm donating to miners on p2pool

Anyone feel like matching?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I still like the idea of cgminer p2pool integration. If joining was as easy as running your bitcoin software and just starting cgminer with -p2pool option, a lot more people would join, especially newbies, since starting one program with one option is way simpler than signing up on a pool web page and setting up custom configuration on a miner to connect to it. As far as I understand it, everything the miner and p2oool need to work (bitcoin address, localhost) it can already grab automatically from your own system.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
I've completed the distribution of my 20 BTC ($120) of subsidies. I'm happy to see that p2pool has grown during this time.

I won't be restarting the subsidies for now, because it seems that they weren't making a big difference: the bottleneck to p2pools growth appears to be simplicity and ease of use at this point rather than the need for financial incentive. If Forrest tackles these issues and the bottleneck to growth becomes merely inertia, I might restart subsidizing the pool.
legendary
Also, this is OT and may be addressed somewhere in the main pool thread:  my earnings over the last ~2.5 days seem lower than in a normal pool.  Is this just a matter of the short time I've been measuring, or is there some other factor?

Thanks again.

I think it's the high variability. There were times when I got nothing for two days, or 0.07btc, and once I got 0.49btc. I also got two 0.01 subsidy payments. I'm hoping over the course of a week/ month it will average be the same as what I get on a regular pool. (550mhash here)
Activity: 448
Merit: 252
New miners: I'd be interested to know to what extent the subsidies affected your decision to join p2pool.

The subsidies got me to invest the time/risk to try it out (risk being, I'm more concerned about my p2pool instance dying and my miner not failing over, or something like that.)  Unfortunately with my measly hashrate (360) I haven't received any subsidies yet. Still, I appreciate them!

Also, this is OT and may be addressed somewhere in the main pool thread:  my earnings over the last ~2.5 days seem lower than in a normal pool.  Is this just a matter of the short time I've been measuring, or is there some other factor?

Thanks again.
legendary
New miners: I'd be interested to know to what extent the subsidies affected your decision to join p2pool.

I found out about them after I moved. My reason for moving were low mining fees and distributed mining as opposed to centralization, so bonuses are  a plus. (Only other low interest pool I knew of was Eligius, and I didn't want to be there)
donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Helped move me over  Smiley
legendary
The subsidies are continuing to roll in:

02c8a8db2bb0d99cd94a9dc134a1e2c3e62bbab44842b3231c24de765ffb7094

legendary
Yeah, setup wasn't too bad. I've already got a couple shares in on the current round. Documentation could use some work, but otherwise everything else looks good.

Yeah, the setup instructions make it seem to be way more complicated than it actually is. Just download files, copy/paste command line commands with changes to your own login/password, and you're set.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
Yeah, setup wasn't too bad. I've already got a couple shares in on the current round. Documentation could use some work, but otherwise everything else looks good.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
I love the idea of p2pool, but I hate reconfiguring my miners. Sounds like p2pool is big enough that it's worth trying out. Here goes...
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
Hey, thank you for your donations ! Cool
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
Taking total output and subtracting the change: 7.6095 - 5.60998331 = 1.99951669, which is 2 coins. I'm not entirely sure why it results in such a weird number, it's clearly had the 0.0005 min fee subtracted from it and that yielded some weird rounding problem. BitcoinD uses floats in its API (not a good choice), which is probably the reason.

That seems like asking for trouble. Ah well, thanks for distributing it though.
legendary
There we go:

http://blockchain.info/tx-index/14404129/4df64f4cd9a59d1f318ad912e97528730c3fa001fb73c035d8208decae6b9e2c

The TX looks weird (does not spend your output) because I'm using the accounts feature of bitcoind.

Taking total output and subtracting the change: 7.6095 - 5.60998331 = 1.99951669, which is 2 coins. I'm not entirely sure why it results in such a weird number, it's clearly had the 0.0005 min fee subtracted from it and that yielded some weird rounding problem. BitcoinD uses floats in its API (not a good choice), which is probably the reason.

I originally intended to whip up a bitcoinj based app for doing this, in order to keep the transactions clean, but I haven't added support for send-manys to it yet so it wasn't possible. Perhaps after the next release.

BTW I've also been distributing coins every day at 12:00 CET, I just didn't bother posting all the tx hashes. There's still money left to claim.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
I'm going to do this as well, starting on Wednesday.
Do you have an address I can send some Instawallet leftovers to, for inclusion in your next "payout"?

Sure. Anyone who trusts me to redistribute the coins correctly can send to:

1KL2LBwHPpEAKKu7squ482T2tmWStaabFn

I'll put whatever arrives there into the next payout.

(edit: change address to keep others coins separate from my own)

My one-time contribution to the growth of p2pool:

tx: d1376a2b41a98cad308981afe133b0680f43bd20ac18395836d08a0341ffb035

A post when it's distributed would be great! Smiley
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
100X100111XX10
The 13 BTC was change, not a part of the donation. The donations are running at 2-3 BTC per day. If you don't do much mining you probably will never become eligible.
Seems I'm making a habit of overlooking the painfully obvious.

legendary
The 13 BTC was change, not a part of the donation. The donations are running at 2-3 BTC per day. If you don't do much mining you probably will never become eligible.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
100X100111XX10
04b0a9f07be8fa2ec22971ab3e0bb161b87791883c912d826d739d3a8a5aff23
I always shut off my miners mere hours before a big donation.  Roll Eyes

[greed]
I'm a bit confused though.

EDIT: Using the quoted donation as an example:
I'm not mining ATM. Haven't mined at all for the past 11 hours. I still show up on http://forre.st:9332/patron_sendmany?total=5 (note the 5, 1HLXuWY1JC6j6RD2c6BUFCGyeqFrTZ9qAG).
If I am eligible for part of a 5 BTC donation after 11 hours of not mining,
shouldn't I have been eligible for part of a 13 BTC donation after 1.5 hours of not mining?
[/greed]
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
How do you determine who gets a part of these bitcoins? Is it random? Or should everyone mining in p2pool be receiving them? If the latter, it isn't working perfectly, as I haven't received any bitcoins except for the generation. My address: 13ueEyoJY6c3cQk8ZgaAxhw3MeNYdpP3Te
Pages:
Jump to: