Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternative Block Chains : be safe! - page 8. (Read 1352116 times)

Activity: 1193
Merit: 251
March 17, 2019, 05:29:12 PM
2) Don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.
How long ago this post was written and i agree, it is undoubtedly relevant now.Almost always on hearing the phrase - do not spend more money than you can afford to loss.But how often do you hear the phrase - do not spend more time than you can afford to lose?This phrase really needs to be carefully thought over by everyone.Time is something that cannot be bought and hold. Therefore, it should be appreciated.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
March 10, 2019, 01:20:59 PM
Which altcoin should we trust? A lot of altcoins are out there but which one to consider the best or the safest?

Absolutely you can always advise the top 10 cryptocurrency, as investing in them you can not worry about the fact that this company will be a scam and that your money will go to the thieves.

I have 70% of my crypto investments in altcoins and 30% in BTC

The top 10 are definitely going to best options. Other than top 10 coins, also checkout NPXS, ENJ, NEXO and IOST.

** Not an investment advice**
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1643
Verified Bitcoin Hodler
March 06, 2019, 08:32:39 PM
Which altcoin should we trust? A lot of altcoins are out there but which one to consider the best or the safest?

That is a dangerous question for the lazy investor. Do your own research, don't trust word of mouth so much.
Activity: 103
March 04, 2019, 03:57:26 AM

The situation is very changing: I thought BEAM is a good variant, but the latest stats are confusing https://cmc.io/coins/beam
But EOS is still promising https://cmc.io/coins/eos
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1176
Glory To Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!
February 28, 2019, 02:51:56 PM

Absolutely you can always advise the top 10 cryptocurrency, as investing in them you can not worry about the fact that this company will be a scam and that your money will go to the thieves.
Activity: 6
Merit: 1
February 25, 2019, 01:44:14 PM
Activity: 112
☀️ Iskra Coin ☀️
February 23, 2019, 09:16:37 PM
As for Brain Box token, it's more than just another altcoin project. It's a true representation of creative minds who would want to share their creativity with the world
Activity: 4
February 20, 2019, 01:42:35 PM
Hello, community! )) Do anyone know about post-quantum altcoins? I’ve read here https://dapcash.org/quantum-apocalypse that all coins will die soon… How do you think guys? Maybe it is a fake? Do anyone take it seriously?
copper member
Activity: 84
February 07, 2019, 09:51:01 PM
If it's forked from a secure blockchain such as bitcoin, it should be fine
Activity: 1
February 03, 2019, 10:29:43 AM
I liked this saying: don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.  Very correct words.
Activity: 49
Merit: 23
January 26, 2019, 05:01:09 AM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

Hey Gavin, is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to do this "1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable."?

Thanks.
Activity: 518
Merit: 10
January 25, 2019, 11:56:06 AM
All the information says if each node contains a method, but bitcoin has a structure that might not be detected, for this reason, why must have different and confidential passwords for each site that we list
Activity: 14
January 23, 2019, 10:35:27 PM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

Thanks for sharing your procedures to check things out and some of your observation the past years. I hope this will be a lesson and tips for aspiring cryptobuddies out there who are willing to learn and apply what they study to the cryptocurrency. It's just right to don't take the risk too much when you know that there's a bigger chance to be scammed. But sometimes you need to take it depends on the person. Just like what they said "High risk and take High reward".
Activity: 37
January 22, 2019, 10:08:25 PM
I want to add OHAS.IO to the scam list.

The owner and her boyfriend got away with millions of dollars in USD. She did a lot of other illegal stuff and is on the most wanted list in South Korea. Her English name is Kimberly Lin but her Chinese name is Lin Ming Chen. She's from Taiwan. December 30th, the office was shut down and everyone lost their jobs. Many of the investors are asking questions and are reasonably pissed.
Activity: 255
January 22, 2019, 02:09:17 PM
From the time of this post until now, cryptocurrency even with how poor the market is, has made a remarkable and significant change globally. I just can't believe I didn't know about it back when this post was made. Now there is so much branches to dive in and so much to do. It probably no longer has an end.
Activity: 476
Merit: 12
https://imgur.com/1d0UcY0
January 18, 2019, 05:51:27 PM
But the time of an alternative blockchain becomes ripe. The speed of transactions is big in a network of bitcoin. How to be with such speed at the realization of a new startup which demands instant payment confirmation?
January 16, 2019, 12:03:29 AM
This topic will never lose importance. Security first. As we are striving for adoption, unsecured and not reliable projects are pulling industry back. Always do your own research, if you aren't technical ask someone you trust and learn on a possible level!

On the other hand, there are so many interesting projects coming out. Fearing facing a scam shouldn't become ignoring everything.
Activity: 8
January 11, 2019, 04:56:25 AM
I strongly agree. That's partly why I haven't messed with the alt chains. I even mentioned this on the announcement thread for coin but it got drowned out with all the excitement about it.
January 05, 2019, 02:56:40 AM
Thats right, im using more then one pc so i can mine easy. Not like other with one pc. Also what is important to use legit windows, not to use pirate windows. And with that you can make serious money as i do.
Pages:
Jump to: