Author

Topic: Analysis - page 259. (Read 941563 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
May 25, 2014, 03:02:59 AM
Bitfinex leading the move suggests a short squeeze.

True. Bitfinex seemed to have a lot to do with that last leg, and also seeing some bearish divergences on the 4hour chart (RSI, MACD histogram). Really hard to say what is going to happen next. Glad you pointed this out!
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
May 25, 2014, 02:08:27 AM
Bitfinex leading the move suggests a short squeeze.
zby
legendary
Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001
May 25, 2014, 01:38:23 AM
Cup and handle on daily charts (handle slightly small) - target above 670.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
May 25, 2014, 01:27:34 AM
Lucio, where are you, we need that "To the moon" you said in September/October. Come on  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
May 24, 2014, 04:29:31 PM
On Finex we have 6k coins to even touch $500. We've got about 36 hours of weekend left. I do not think we will see 460.
Fair point, though it's important to keep in mind that walls can (and regularly do) get pulled.

stamp is 4k to 500, and that is more important to me. i trade on bitfinex, but tbh, walls on bitfinex (that aren't shared liquidity from bitstamp) have a pretty high tendency to evaporate. and walls at 500 are pretty meaningless when those putting them up know we are $25 away from touching them. on bitfinex you can make support appear very strong just with margin bids very from price action...

4k to 500, its Saturday and the market is up slightly on the day.  We have already retraced to the 38% fib level and are now higher.

It looks bullish to me.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
May 24, 2014, 03:59:30 PM
On Finex we have 6k coins to even touch $500. We've got about 36 hours of weekend left. I do not think we will see 460.
Fair point, though it's important to keep in mind that walls can (and regularly do) get pulled.

stamp is 4k to 500, and that is more important to me. i trade on bitfinex, but tbh, walls on bitfinex (that aren't shared liquidity from bitstamp) have a pretty high tendency to evaporate. and walls at 500 are pretty meaningless when those putting them up know we are $25 away from touching them. on bitfinex you can make support appear very strong just with margin bids very from price action...
Activity: 239
May 24, 2014, 06:22:09 AM
legendary
May 24, 2014, 06:10:32 AM
It's pretty obvious to me that we got some more up to go.

We ran up over $100 in just over 3 days. Now we are just profit taking at resistance levels before going up some more. If we make it to around $630, then we should start looking at divergences. Right now we are at the very least in an A,B,C correction and we've got some wind in our sails.
I am not as certain. We broke through short-term support pretty heavily, and are currently below hourly SMA50. I suppose the hidden bullish divergence could signal a final local spike up (possibly to the support-line (assumingly) gone resistance), but I have a feeling we'll break through hourly SMA200 and test long-term support (currently at $462) before we can break daily SMA200 and take off. Certainly doesn't help that it's weekend = whale dump time, and market looks fragile enough atm to be significantly moved by a whale.

But then again I'm a noobish sheep, so for all I know you could be right Smiley Just throwing out possibilities.

May 24, 2014, 06:02:08 AM

We ran up over $100 in just over 3 days. Now we are just profit taking at resistance levels before going up some more. If we make it to around $630, then we should start looking at divergences. Right now we are at the very least in an A,B,C correction and we've got some wind in our sails.
I am not as certain. We broke through short-term support pretty heavily, and are currently below hourly SMA50. I suppose the hidden bullish divergence could signal a final local spike up (possibly to the support-line (assumingly) gone resistance), but I have a feeling we'll break through hourly SMA200 and test long-term support (currently at $462) before we can break daily SMA200 and take off. Certainly doesn't help that it's weekend = whale dump time, and market looks fragile enough atm to be significantly moved by a whale.

But then again I'm a noobish sheep, so for all I know you could be right Smiley Just throwing out possibilities.
legendary
May 24, 2014, 05:41:00 AM
Time for more divergence games! I'm still attempting to learn it, so I would appreciate clarification here.

Is this correct divergence analysis? As Oda asked in a similar case, which takes precedence, the hidden bullish or regular bearish?
Regular bearish because, as Blitz said (if I interpret his words correctly), in a bull market one should look more at highs, or the hidden bullish because it is more recent and thus more relevant to the situation at the moment?

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
May 24, 2014, 05:34:13 AM
Time for more divergence games! I'm still attempting to learn it, so I would appreciate clarification here.

Is this correct divergence analysis? As Oda asked in a similar case, which takes precedence, the hidden bullish or regular bearish?
Regular bearish because, as TERA said (if I interpret his words correctly), in a bull market one should look more at highs, or the hidden bullish because it is more recent and thus more relevant to the situation at the moment?

We're still in a short/medium term bear market, although it's showing some signs of reversal now. I would probably call this a bull market when the weekly MACD crosses again.
May 24, 2014, 05:26:32 AM

Regular bearish because, as Blitz said (if I interpret his words correctly), in a bull market one should look more at highs, or the hidden bullish because it is more recent and thus more relevant to the situation at the moment?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
May 20, 2014, 06:17:37 PM
Boy would I love to hear from masterluc. I remember in July 2013 his "special indicators" giving a strong buy signal ~ $65.... hmmmm....

"special indicators" means "Daily sma 200" I guess.

That is not very likely, considering that we did not break the 200SMA until ~ 73 price level. Of course the best traders do not share their secretes. Cheesy
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
May 20, 2014, 06:03:41 PM
Boy would I love to hear from masterluc. I remember in July 2013 his "special indicators" giving a strong buy signal ~ $65.... hmmmm....

"special indicators" means "Daily sma 200" I guess.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
May 20, 2014, 05:45:28 PM
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
May 20, 2014, 05:43:00 PM
bump
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
May 15, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
Bearish divergence: Price does higher high, indicator does lower high
Hidden bearish divergence: Indicator does higher high, price does lower high

This isn't really a bearish divergence if the slope is just less negative. Plus, you drew it from different points in time for price vs. indicator.

Anyway, I checked it out on bitcoincharts, and there, the daily MACD actually does show a hidden bearish divergence, very strictly speaking (the slope is almost flat). Didn't catch that before, so thanks for that. Grin

Maybe it will help engrave it if I explain it my way too: During a trend, you want the indicator (an indicator is nothing but a filtered/"interpreted" way to look at price history) to align with the price action to signal that the way the price moves doesn't change. And if you are looking at a bullish trend, you want to look at the highs because that's where the momentum is. If there's a divergence in the highs during the bullish trend, then something has probably changed, two views no longer align with each other.

A regular bearish divergence happens for instance when the price makes new highs, but then reverses sharply and retraces untypically little of the drop before candle close, or when the price takes longer to make new highs than before. For the hidden bearish divergence, it could happen when the price simply stops making new highs without a drastic drop while the indicator (MACD is a good example) still goes higher just based on a past moving average. Both is a loss of momentum, it's just that one of the two views is more receptive to some signals while the other filters them out.

This will all depend in detail how the indicator works; there are many variations. I only use the MACD and the RSI myself.

I wouldn't attribute divergences much importance if they happen on a low volume or relatively sideways market because there is just no trend to look at.

tl;dr:

Price goes up, you look at highs. Divergence = bad
Price goes down, you look at lows. Divergence = good
Activity: 336
May 15, 2014, 07:40:17 PM

Thanks. You are right. And I even checked the 'cheat sheet' that was posted earlier in here.

I guess it's just so damn unintuitive to me... lower highs in price, higher highs in indicator seems to indicate a bullish div to me, intuitively at least.

But yeah, no point in arguing, I made the same mistake as last time Tongue

How I look at the hidden bearish divergence is like this;
Market buying is stronger than market selling. This gives the boost to the underling indicators. But at the same time, the limit selling (aka ask order depth) was stronger than the market buying, which is why the price wasn't rising with the indicator.

In a regular divergence, you have price moving easier than the actual pressure applied to the orderbook.
This is why indicators make lower highs with higher highs in price (Bearish) or higher lows with the price making lower lows (bullish)

Great answer. Screencapped and saved.

Thanks.

+1. Thx!
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
May 15, 2014, 05:36:20 PM

Thanks. You are right. And I even checked the 'cheat sheet' that was posted earlier in here.

I guess it's just so damn unintuitive to me... lower highs in price, higher highs in indicator seems to indicate a bullish div to me, intuitively at least.

Market buying is stronger than market selling. This gives the boost to the underling indicators. But at the same time, the limit selling (aka ask order depth) was stronger than the market buying, which is why the price wasn't rising with the indicator.

In a regular divergence, you have price moving easier than the actual pressure applied to the orderbook.
This is why indicators make lower highs with higher highs in price (Bearish) or higher lows with the price making lower lows (bullish)

Great answer. Screencapped and saved.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009
Legen -wait for it- dary
May 15, 2014, 04:54:36 PM

Jump to: