Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] ARCHcoin [ARCH] The ARCH Network - NEWS - page 53. (Read 221343 times)

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

And name calling is all you can come up with.

coinme.info,

When you play in a volatile high risk environment; you run the risk of losing it all. Regardless of how you lost everything whether it would have been on a bad play on a new Alt or someone hacking into your computer.. you still lost. Sitting in front of your computer face rolling your keyboard because you are angry and trying to pin the blame on someone other then yourself (when its your fault for not encrypting your wallet) only contributes to our community's falling opinion of you as a contributor and as a person.

sitting here crying to people who could care less about your unfortunate situation is a huge waste of time.
Activity: 297
Don't feed the troll.

Anyone who would suggest that it is anyone's responsibility but their own to handle their own security practices re: their crypto wallets is just that - a troll.

Yes don't address any of the issues raised or pressure the company to improve their product.

Instead just keep telling yourself that everything is sweet and dandy and anyone who suggests anything to the contrary should be ignored.

In the mean time I suggest having a look at this post.

JUST HAD 0.92329 BTC STOLEN - HOW???

Was it the entire balance of your wallet?

Was it an imported address?

Did you recently install anything Bitcoin-related or suspicious recently?

Do you have AV?

Was the wallet password protected and if so when did you last type that password?

Yes all of it wiped out

No I'm very tech savvy

Yes I have AV - keep on top of security quite well and the wallet is on a VM

The wallet was password protected

WTF

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/just-had-092329-btc-stolen-how-1045264

Seems a password protected wallet did not help.

No final answer at this stage so maybe, just maybe you can stop harping on about

"It's ALL your fault"

and remember that I'm the one highlighting the shortcomings in the system here
and because of the name calling, head in the sand, kneejerk reactions I've had
to try and spell out the consequences of continued ignorance regarding the flaws
in the POS and wallet system used by ARCH.

I'm sure Edgar can appreciate the seriousness of where this could end, but you will
notice he is silent on the matter in public, so it obviously is a big issue as otherwise
he would be defending his product and assuring his customers that everything is
ok.

Instead he leaves the speculation open to debate and offers no remedy.
Very poor management decision there and speaks volumes about the real motivations
behind this company, IMO.

So I'll leave you with all this to ponder and just maybe changes will be made
to ensure the these attacks and thefts become a thing of the past and future customers
do not have to go through this experience.
Activity: 252
Coinme.info, just quit crypto please.

Because what i've read from you is another level of stupid.

I tried to be nice, but how dumb can you get for blaming people for your mistake.

And name calling is all you can come up with.
Agreed ^^ whalepanda!! Drop it already dude!!  You're a senior member ffs, don't blame ARCH for your lack of security measures, the wallet was not encrypted, it's your fault!  

If I have a home security system and i don't arm it, it's not the fault of the security system provider if my home is burglarized!!

Sorry but this home security system, as you are referring to, the Arch wallet, is broadcasting it's location to the companies other alarm system users.

Unscrupulous users of the system are then using this information to target the other security system customers with a view to attacking their alarm system.

The attackers once bypassing other security devices then appear to be able to bypass the security system itself as it's basic configuration does not require the turning on of what it seems is considered a basic function.

The security system company is ignoring this fact and has made no effort to address this issue even though they are apparently quite aware of this from previous reports and other competitors in the industry have already addressed this issue.

The company also appear to be taking no action to track the stolen tokens that the security system is is designed to secure which are being used to as certificates of shareholding in the company.

Which ever way this is put or real wold analogies used it does not sound good and does not paint picture of a responsible company taking all appropriate measures to provide a product fit for the purpose it was designed to do.
Activity: 462
Don't feed the troll.

Anyone who would suggest that it is anyone's responsibility but their own to handle their own security practices re: their crypto wallets is just that - a troll.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 500
Agreed ^^ whalepanda!! Drop it already dude!!  You're a senior member ffs, don't blame ARCH for your lack of security measures, the wallet was not encrypted, it's your fault!  

If I have a home security system and i don't arm it, it's not the fault of the security system provider if my home is burglarized!!
I think it's fair to say that he want every developers of the coin to act as police, prosecutor and judge to investigate, pursue and punish every criminal in their own coin community, and to think that every Arch wallet user as customers that purchase and used good and service from Arch developer like wifi routers buyers is definitely takes the term of dumb logic at least 3 level higher, with all these effort to rationalize the dumb logic, i'm beginning to think this case is similar with insurance fraud attempt.
legendary
Activity: 1206
Merit: 1000

Activity: 163
Merit: 101
HODLing is an art, not just a word
ARCH Corporate Platform v1.9 has been released!
https://github.com/EdgarSoares/ARCH/releases/tag/1.9

Does this new release enforce password encrypting of the wallet?

Anyone able to confirm that the new wallet enforces encrypting the wallet as a default condition on install?

it doesn't, wallet security is something personal. The option is there, if you don't use it, your fault. It's the same with 2FA on exchanges, it's there but if you don't activate it, it's your own fault your account got hacked.
If you would force people to encrypt their wallet after a few days people will cry that they forgot their password and have now lost all their coins.

Thanks.

Reminds me of when wifi routers first came out. Security was turned OFF by default. Now security is turned ON by default as the industry realised that end users can not be expected to find and turn on security features to protect themselves from hackers. Security is now default ON.

ARCh wallet is therefore still failing the customers as it does not require the customer to implement what you all consider a minimum level of security and puts the end customer in a position of suffering a greater loss than would otherwise occur if the ARCH wallet had enforced the minimum security level of password protection defaulted to ON in the event the ARCH software is obtained by a third party.

It would appear that ARCH is quite comfortable with having legitimate shareholders tokens taken from their supplied software and those stolen shareholder tokens passed on or sold to parties who are not entitled to hold those tokens and acknowledges that the holders of those tokens may be accepted to management positions within the ARCH business.

Very interesting business model there as ultimately you may end up with management comprising a unknown number of criminals having obtained positions by way of obtaining stolen tokens either knowingly or unknowingly.

The tokens are traceable by ARCH if they so desire are they not?

Class Action Suit anyone for losses incurred to date?

Anyone able to confirm that the new wallet enforces encrypting the wallet as a default condition on install?

it doesn't, wallet security is something personal. The option is there, if you don't use it, your fault. It's the same with 2FA on exchanges, it's there but if you don't activate it, it's your own fault your account got hacked.
If you would force people to encrypt their wallet after a few days people will cry that they forgot their password and have now lost all their coins.

Thanks.

Reminds me of when wifi routers first came out. Security was turned OFF by default. Now security is turned ON by default as the industry realised that end users can not be expected to find and turn on security features to protect themselves from hackers. Security is now default ON.

ARCh wallet is therefore still failing the customers as it does not require the customer to implement what you all consider a minimum level of security and puts the end customer in a position of suffering a greater loss than would otherwise occur if the ARCH wallet had enforced the minimum security level of password protection defaulted to ON in the event the ARCH software is obtained by a third party.

It would appear that ARCH is quite comfortable with having legitimate shareholders tokens taken from their supplied software and those stolen shareholder tokens passed on or sold to parties who are not entitled to hold those tokens and acknowledges that the holders of those tokens may be accepted to management positions within the ARCH business.

Very interesting business model there as ultimately you may end up with management comprising a unknown number of criminals having obtained positions by way of obtaining stolen tokens either knowingly or unknowingly.

The tokens are traceable by ARCH if they so desire are they not?

Class Action Suit anyone for losses incurred to date?

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Would like to warn you about bter exchange.
I'm trying to withdraw ARCH from bter but they are cancelling my withdrawal requests for a few days.

If somebody from ARCH Team could intervene in this matter I would appreciate it.

Best!

Sorry to inform you this but Bter was hacked and closed down a couple of months ago. They reopened after a few week saying "everything was fine" but since they haven't returned anyones funds since then, we all suspect  they are just trying to scam people to deposit there and then bail.

Wish you the best of luck and keep contacting their support. I also have a few thousand Arch there but they don't even reply to developers.

Cheers

I've been able to withdrawal all of my funds (UNITY and XCR) from bter since the hack... Didn't have any ARCH on there, maybe it is specific to ARCH?
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
I'm trying to withdraw ARCH from bter but they are cancelling my withdrawal requests for a few days.

If somebody from ARCH Team could intervene in this matter I would appreciate it.

Best!

Sorry to inform you this but Bter was hacked and closed down a couple of months ago. They reopened after a few week saying "everything was fine" but since they haven't returned anyones funds since then, we all suspect  they are just trying to scam people to deposit there and then bail.

Wish you the best of luck and keep contacting their support. I also have a few thousand Arch there but they don't even reply to developers.

Cheers
Activity: 221
Merit: 100

Best!
Activity: 82
Merit: 10

Click on Settings/Encrypt Wallet.

Don't use your name or date of birth as password ... but something more complex.

For example: *8h2vHQEKB$0U&K(ymZ@N3xpiK@bk7RY75#LBp55

I recommend LastPass + YubiKey (optional) for storing/generating passwords.
What makes a password strong (or weak)?

A strong password:
  • Is at least eight characters long.
  • Does not contain your user name, real name, or company name.
  • Does not contain a complete word.
  • Is significantly different from previous passwords.

Contains characters from each of the following four categories:
    Character category

Uppercase letters: A, B, C

Lowercase letters: a, b, c

Numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Symbols found on the keyboard (all keyboard characters not defined as letters or numerals) and spaces: ` ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ - + = { } [ ] \ | : ; " ' < > , . ? /

A password might meet all the criteria above and still be a weak password. For example, Hello2U! meets all the criteria for a strong password listed above, but is still weak because it contains a complete word. H3ll0 2 U! is a stronger alternative because it replaces some of the letters in the complete word with numbers and also includes spaces.

For Crypto I suggest at least 10 chars.

Would you leave a safe closed but unlocked? It's no different than leaving a wallet unencrypted.

When the safe is located in your locked house and surrounded by a security fence you might leave it open.

Not quite the same as if the safe has been left on the street is it?

Your house is your computer so obviously your computer (or house in this example) seems to have a lot of open windows, else noone gets in. The safe (encrypted wallet) is last line of defense.

Do you need "a lot" of open windows?

Do you even know how the thief got through the security fences and broke into the house past the alarm?

No one knows at this point and it is not as isolated case it would seem.

Someone has been targeting owners of this brand of safes!

And all the other owners are thinking their safes are secure because they have used an optional password.

What will happen though when their safe is taken and the thief has time to brute force the password.

You will all be claiming it is the safer owners fault once again because he didn't choose a long enough password.

How long does the password need to be. Is the password enforced by the safe security mechanism?

Is the safe manufacturer taking all practical steps to ensure the product they're supplying is fit for the purpose?

And they got moved on from there if you follow the outputs from that wallet.

Thanks for checking, hoping someone who is a blockchain bloodhound would look at this to confirm.

Would you leave a safe closed but unlocked? It's no different than leaving a wallet unencrypted.

When the safe is located in your locked house and surrounded by a security fence you might leave it open.

Not quite the same as if the safe has been left on the street is it?

Your house is your computer so obviously your computer (or house in this example) seems to have a lot of open windows, else noone gets in. The safe (encrypted wallet) is last line of defense.
Pages:
Jump to: