Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation - page 14. (Read 127559 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
October 01, 2012, 09:57:42 AM
You dont think the US would classify people using bitcoin as terrorists ? You havent been paying attention  Smiley

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/10-ridiculous-things-that-make-you.html

I'm pretty certain I'm on some kind of terror suspect list. I got singled out by the electronic passport machine (which happened to none of the other about 60 persons I watched go through the face scanners) when I went to London for a Bitcoin Conference. The UK police inspector who inspected my passport data after I got "pulled over" looked at me in disbelief, then let me pass. Same thing happened when I went back into germany (no face scanner, but customs officials looked at me in disbelief after scanning my passport). So there's some note on my passport ("money laundry suspect" or "suspicion of terrorism" or whatever). I support(ed) Ron Paul, watch libertarian, metal-bug and conspiracy theory videos on youtube and habitually voice opinions that might be considered suspicious all around the net. I make no secret of my identity either.

I also use bitcoin!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
October 01, 2012, 09:56:29 AM
I have to say that I don't like them using the name "The Bitcoin Foundation" even if it is essentially only used as a company name. It still matters and it's not good, it's sort of an attempt to make it "the authority" on Bitcoin without actually earning that position first. I would vote on changing the name and removing the "the" part.

I hope members can create "bills" for issues that need to be discussed and possibly put to a member vote. This is one of those issues that will pop up. If not by someone else, then by me.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
October 01, 2012, 09:55:25 AM
Where does it say it is The Bitcoin Foundation? Where is that coming from? In most (well, all afaik) places it's simply "Bitcoin Foundation".

I'm curious about this because there is some conflicting information on this. Some people refer to it as The Foundation, but in most places it is actually written as simply Bitcoin Foundation.

The bylaws have it as "THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC."

True, but the face of the company is "Bitcoin Foundation". I doubt many bitcoin newbies will be digging through the legal papers and bylaws. I think the legitimacy factor is more for the big players, not so much the consumers.

Yes you dummies, don't look at what our legal papers say, just look at the sign on the door, it's all there.. See? We don't pretend to assert anything, we're just a foundation, you can have your own!   Roll Eyes
legendary
October 01, 2012, 09:53:50 AM
Where does it say it is The Bitcoin Foundation? Where is that coming from? In most (well, all afaik) places it's simply "Bitcoin Foundation".

I'm curious about this because there is some conflicting information on this. Some people refer to it as The Foundation, but in most places it is actually written as simply Bitcoin Foundation.

Is there an example where there are multiple foundations for the same thing?
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
October 01, 2012, 09:53:21 AM

True, but the face of the company is "Bitcoin Foundation". I doubt many bitcoin newbies will be digging through the legal papers and bylaws. I think the legitimacy factor is more for the big players, not so much the consumers.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
October 01, 2012, 09:46:44 AM

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Lead Core BitKitty Developer
October 01, 2012, 09:32:25 AM
I have named it as "THE Bitcoin Foundation" in many of my posts, with THE in capitals mainly to emphasize how I felt the people behind TBF present themselves and their foundation at the moment.
That doesn't mean I care bout the word "the" at all. It doesn't matter if they call it "Bitcoin Foundation" or "The Bitcoin Foundation". What matters is the things they state to stand for, combined with the name they chose for it. That is what a lot of people seem to disagree with.
October 01, 2012, 09:25:02 AM

A foundation is a thing, hence "the" foundation. Bitcoin just states that this particular foundation (the foundation) is about bitcoin. So that kinda naturally becomes the bitcoin foundation.

People sure were having a lot of problems with the "THE" though, turns out it never explicitely existed. It obviously shouldn't be referred to as "The Bitcoin Foudation", though there certainly are better names than "Bitcoin Foundation".
October 01, 2012, 09:24:50 AM
A lot of people seem to be hung up on the word "THE".

No, a lot of people seem to be hung up on the words that come after "THE".
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
October 01, 2012, 09:22:05 AM
thebitcoinfoundation.org isnt actually registered yet  Cheesy

It's bitcoinfoundation.org.

Im just pointing out that they didnt use "The Bitcoin Foundation" as the domain name.

Activity: 311
Bitcoin.se site owner
October 01, 2012, 09:21:36 AM
Since it is the nature of threads like these that critics will be louder than supporters I just wanna chime in to say that I support this organization and believe that it'll be a good thing for Bitcoin. Thanks for the work you put into this guys.

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the word "THE". From what I can see it is only referred to as "The Bitcoin Foundation" in Gavin's post, on the site it is just "Bitcoin Foundation". Perhaps one of the founders can confirm that they will use the name "Bitcoin Foundation" without the "The"?

October 01, 2012, 09:21:25 AM

A foundation is a thing, hence "the" foundation. Bitcoin just states that this particular foundation (the foundation) is about bitcoin. So that kinda naturally becomes the bitcoin foundation.
October 01, 2012, 09:18:10 AM
Add that the CEO of MtGox (with all the problems with anonymity, taint listing, AML shit, KYC shit and arbitrary account freezing in this exchanger) is a founder.

The exchange handles Fiat. As much as I would like MtGox to not care about AML or KYC, I'm not going to give the CEO shit for it.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
October 01, 2012, 09:16:24 AM

legendary
October 01, 2012, 09:14:15 AM

It's bitcoinfoundation.org.

WHOIS information for bitcoinfoundation.org:***

[Querying whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
[whois.publicinterestregistry.net]
Access to .ORG WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in
determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the
Public Interest Registry registry database. The data in this record is provided by
Public Interest Registry for informational purposes only, and Public Interest Registry does not
guarantee its accuracy.  This service is intended only for query-based
access. You agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes
and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (a) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or

facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations
to entities other than the data recipient's own existing customers; or
(b) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send
queries or data to the systems of Registry Operator, a Registrar, or
Afilias except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations. All rights reserved. Public Interest Registry reserves
the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query,
you agree to abide by this policy.

Domain ID:D160855409-LROR
Domain Name:BITCOINFOUNDATION.ORG
Created On:06-Dec-2010 21:40:58 UTC
Last Updated On:30-Sep-2012 01:34:49 UTC
Expiration Date:06-Dec-2021 21:40:58 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:1API GmbH (R1724-LROR)
Registrant ID:MKB8595108-HPQS
Registrant Name:Mark Karpeles
Registrant Organization:Bitcoin Foundation Inc.
Registrant Street1:3809 STEEPLECHASE DRIVE
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Carmel
Registrant State/Province:Indiana
Registrant Postal Code:46032
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.3024445240
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]
Admin ID:MKB8595108-HPQS
Admin Name:Mark Karpeles
Admin Organization:Bitcoin Foundation Inc.
Admin Street1:3809 STEEPLECHASE DRIVE
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Carmel
Admin State/Province:Indiana
Admin Postal Code:46032
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.3024445240
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[email protected]
Tech ID:MKB8595108-HPQS
Tech Name:Mark Karpeles
Tech Organization:Bitcoin Foundation Inc.
Tech Street1:3809 STEEPLECHASE DRIVE
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Carmel
Tech State/Province:Indiana
Tech Postal Code:46032
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.3024445240
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[email protected]
Name Server:ISLA.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server:LEE.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
DNSSEC:Unsigned
Activity: 686
Wat
October 01, 2012, 09:08:45 AM
legendary
October 01, 2012, 09:00:56 AM
So, summing it up, the foundation has following issues:

1. The name "The Bitcoin Foundation" wrongly suggest that it is the central authority that controls Bitcoin.
2. The hosting company of the BitcoinFoundation.org is (with high probability) a Government-run honeypot.
3. There is no safe way for people to have a vote in the Foundation without giving up their identities (which could prove fatal in case of Bitcoin users are declared terrorists, or government tries to confiscate Bitcoins from them).

Did i miss something ?

@Gavin, @Core Team
Are any of these issues going to be solved ?

And a lead dev who owns the git access and is a founding member and a member of the board of directors for the next two years is a conflict of interest.

And the organization is not for profit which means it can't go bankrupt should it provide a crappy service as long as big businesses are prepared to open their purse they can operate indefinitely. (a scary thought)
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
October 01, 2012, 08:54:29 AM
Has TBF described how members identities will be kept safe (i.e. privacy policy) ? Supposedly they will get correlated with dues payments ... or?

Although, it would be a good test of bitcoin (the software not the foundation) if such a big, fat juicy target was subject to take down with mass arrests of members, throw Gavin, Charlie, Garzik, Vessness, etc in jail like Dotcom ... whole nine yards. Kind of like the final "black-start test" an oil rig or refinery has to do before going operational, pull the big plug and see what doesn't work when the switch comes back on.
Activity: 597
October 01, 2012, 08:47:28 AM
Add that the CEO of MtGox (with all the problems with anonymity, taint listing, AML shit, KYC shit and arbitrary account freezing in this exchanger) is a founder.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
October 01, 2012, 08:37:42 AM
So, summing it up, the foundation has following issues:

1. The name "The Bitcoin Foundation" wrongly suggest that it is the central authority that controls Bitcoin.
2. The hosting company of the BitcoinFoundation.org is (with high probability) a Government-run honeypot.
3. There is no safe way for people to have a vote in the Foundation without giving up their identities (which could prove fatal in case of Bitcoin users are declared terrorists, or government tries to confiscate Bitcoins from them).

Did i miss something ?

@Gavin, @Core Team
Are any of these issues going to be solved ?
Pages:
Jump to: