Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation - page 18. (Read 127561 times)

donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
September 29, 2012, 09:33:42 PM
Website is down, I think?
Activity: 597
Merit: 500
September 29, 2012, 08:24:03 PM
The Andresen Foundation for Bitcoin Development

Yeah, that name is a good one

EDIT: Now all claim here: Hackers, please, stop the DDOS attack because the Foundation team have to change their web tittle. LOL

Same here.

Dude, I was trying to be sarcastic. The name is only one and not the worst of the problems i see in the Foundation. I, in no way, am going to support or participate in this lobbystic, centralized, honeypot foundation.

Look, I found another good name : "THE lobbystic, centralized and honeypot Bitcoin foundation"
Activity: 490
September 29, 2012, 08:19:08 PM

EDIT: Now all claim here: Hackers, please, stop the DDOS attack because the Foundation team have to change their web tittle. LOL

Same here.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
September 29, 2012, 08:16:45 PM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin

I know you meant this purely humorously but on a serious note I could never join an organization which it's core properties betray my core principles I try to live by. It's the same reason why I don't vote when small gangs of thugs commonly referred to as governments hold their charade elections.

But I'll join the second those properties are removed because I do see a lot of possible good that it can do.
Activity: 597
September 29, 2012, 08:13:46 PM

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
September 29, 2012, 08:13:29 PM

+1

That's the kind of name one might say "Why didn't anyone think of that before?".
Like 44 pages ago.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
September 29, 2012, 08:10:20 PM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin

What personal info do I need to provide to make that happen?
legendary
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
September 29, 2012, 08:05:31 PM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
September 29, 2012, 07:49:45 PM
legendary
Merit: 1002
September 29, 2012, 07:38:00 PM

I kinda like this one, lol seriously!

Yeah me too.
legendary
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
September 29, 2012, 07:36:58 PM

I kinda like this one, lol seriously!
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
September 29, 2012, 07:27:59 PM
Activity: 826
September 29, 2012, 07:25:44 PM
It is moot to speculate on a good naming since the decision is already made, but here are some more name ideas in case someone wants to set up another bitcoin organisation and to get them out of my head i have to write them down.

sorted by seriousness:

Bitcoin benefactors
Bitbenefactory
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin confraternity
Coinfraternity
Bitcoin syndicate
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin workshop
Bitcoin collective
Bitcoin consortium (maybe same semantic problems as foundation)
Bitcoin association (same..)
Bitcoin pool (well, not a mining pool)
Bitcoin endowment
Bitcoin amalgamation/conglutination (ok... its getting ridiculous)

what is aparently bothering a very vocal minority is the word "The" in the name. Simply "Bitcoin Foundation" would sound much more humble and innocent.

That said, i think its really great to see some seriousness in the Bitcoin world, which is really needed. Also having a solid model for funding the development is needed and will enable long-term prosperity for the whole industry. I could criticize some minor details about the genesis of this organisation but i leave that to others who apparently like to spend a lot of time in this thread Smiley

You said bitcoin union twice.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
September 29, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
It is moot to speculate on a good naming since the decision is already made, but here are some more name ideas in case someone wants to set up another bitcoin organisation and to get them out of my head i have to write them down.

sorted by seriousness:

Bitcoin benefactors
Bitbenefactory
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin confraternity
Coinfraternity
Bitcoin syndicate
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin workshop
Bitcoin collective
Bitcoin consortium (maybe same semantic problems as foundation)
Bitcoin association (same..)
Bitcoin pool (well, not a mining pool)
Bitcoin endowment
Bitcoin amalgamation/conglutination (ok... its getting ridiculous)

what is aparently bothering a very vocal minority is the word "The" in the name. Simply "Bitcoin Foundation" would sound much more humble and innocent.

That said, i think its really great to see some seriousness in the Bitcoin world, which is really needed. Also having a solid model for funding the development is needed and will enable long-term prosperity for the whole industry. I could criticize some minor details about the genesis of this organisation but i leave that to others who apparently like to spend a lot of time in this thread Smiley
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
September 29, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
Well, I sincerely doubt an absolute leadership role, Linus Torvalds-style was intended. Not even Satoshi made himself appear that way.

Satoshi had absolute control over the bitcoin.org client, and he discouraged people from creating alternative clients. He tended to view the Bitcoin network as being equivalent to the Bitcoin software which he controlled. He once asked me to refrain from posting publicly about him changing a hard network rule. I have little doubt that he would have handled the P2SH issue by just quietly adding the code to the client, not waiting for miners to "agree" as Gavin did.

Not that any of this is necessarily bad, but it seems you remember Satoshi as being different than he actually was.

Indeed. I apologize.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
September 29, 2012, 07:00:10 PM
Jeez guys, you wanna start your own no-girls-invited Bitcoin club? Just grab a thesaurus and squat a domain. This is way overblown.
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
Technology and Women. Amazing.
September 29, 2012, 06:58:41 PM
Satoshi is female. Only an organism with a vagina can make something so beautiful.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
September 29, 2012, 06:55:55 PM
Well, I sincerely doubt an absolute leadership role, Linus Torvalds-style was intended. Not even Satoshi made himself appear that way.

Satoshi had absolute control over the bitcoin.org client, and he discouraged people from creating alternative clients. He tended to view the Bitcoin network as being equivalent to the Bitcoin software which he controlled. He once asked me to refrain from posting publicly about him changing a hard network rule. I have little doubt that he would have handled the P2SH issue by just quietly adding the code to the client, not waiting for miners to "agree" as Gavin did.

Not that any of this is necessarily bad, but it seems you remember Satoshi as being different than he actually was.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
September 29, 2012, 06:55:14 PM
Bitcoin only exists because of Satoshi's will and hardwork. Without Satoshi, there would be no Bitcoin.

So? It's here now, no one owns it, thus the discussion should be about what's best for Bitcoin going forward. Theorizing about what one person *would've* wanted or intended is simply not relevant.
Pages:
Jump to: