Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation - page 16. (Read 127561 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
October 01, 2012, 02:53:08 AM
i would love that the foundation makes a commitment to not define "tainted coins".

if the majority of bitcoin-businness agress to mtgox definition of tainted coins (and - as mtgox does - not providing a way to see if you have tainted coins - i would definitly leave bitcoin)
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Lead Core BitKitty Developer
October 01, 2012, 02:21:29 AM
Why aren't you forming your own?

Because mine would be a laughing stock compared to a Bitcoin Foundation with the lead dev on it's board of directors together with the two biggest Bitcoin businesses. And I don't like to be a laughing stock, that's why.
That's a terrible reason. It's also tantamount to stating that Gavin and Bitinstant *are* bitcoin, which, I think, is exactly the opposite of your viewpoint.

As I noted, these orgs are inevitable, and there's room for more than one. You could get a pool operator or two on board, maybe the devs of one of the alternative clients, other bitcoin businesses... No, you couldn't build something as prominent as TBF immediately, but if you were serious about it, you could build something else respectable that indeed have some sway, and serve to keep TBF "honest", if that's your intent.

Personally, I'd wait a few months, see if there is something that TBF isn't doing well, or doesn't think is important, but you do.  And then create an organization to do some of those things.

The problem is that after a few months, it will be hard to undo the damage TBF will have caused. In a few months, TBF will have such a lead on any new organization that such a new organisation would be fighting a lost battle. Newbies will not dig deep in history to find out how this foundation came into being. They will see THE bitcoin foundation with THE lead developer on board, with THE leading exchange on board, defining THE certifications and THE specifications for bitcoin and will stop looking there.
Even if officially nothing is centralized, just the way this whole thing is set up will lead to centralization because it abuses the lazyness/ignorance of the masses. And this is done on purpose.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
September 30, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Because mine would be a laughing stock compared to a Bitcoin Foundation with the lead dev on it's board of directors together with the two biggest Bitcoin businesses. And I don't like to be a laughing stock, that's why.
That's a terrible reason. It's also tantamount to stating that Gavin and Bitinstant *are* bitcoin, which, I think, is exactly the opposite of your viewpoint.

As I noted, these orgs are inevitable, and there's room for more than one. You could get a pool operator or two on board, maybe the devs of one of the alternative clients, other bitcoin businesses... No, you couldn't build something as prominent as TBF immediately, but if you were serious about it, you could build something else respectable that indeed have some sway, and serve to keep TBF "honest", if that's your intent.

Personally, I'd wait a few months, see if there is something that TBF isn't doing well, or doesn't think is important, but you do.  And then create an organization to do some of those things.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
September 30, 2012, 03:41:48 PM

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
September 30, 2012, 03:32:48 PM
Who said certification would restrict innovation?
I said that and I know what I'm talking about. Certification, especially in business, is always about defending the status quo, respective profit structure, and beneficiaries.
When I am planning to buy a product, certifications and transparency are certainly an important factor. In fact, whenever possible (farmers' market, for example), I try to "certify" by myself by visiting the facilities. When this is not possible, I check certification trail. Also, certification "authorities" can disappoint me and lose my trust. I don't see the problem.
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
September 30, 2012, 03:16:39 PM
Who said certification would restrict innovation?
I said that and I know what I'm talking about. Certification, especially in business, is always about defending the status quo, respective profit structure, and beneficiaries.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
September 30, 2012, 03:13:12 PM
Also, this forum does not work as a honeypot. One can use PROXY or TOR to access it.

All known proxies and tor exit nodes r banned on this forum.

Only for new registrations. After you register you can use Tor all you like.

Right, after you are pinpointed then you are free to be anonymous. lol

Right, and for good reasons.
Activity: 285
Merit: 250
Turning money into heat since 2011.
September 30, 2012, 03:09:21 PM
If you're looking for certification applicable to payments or transfers, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) is a better example than FDIC. PCI DSS requires certain security measures to be in place (firewalls, data retention timelines, encryption requirements, which credentials can be stored, etc) for certification.  A similar set of guidelines for Bitcoin businesses would be great. (Instead of "The code for the exchange worked! Go production now!  I don't care if the admin password is hard coded and unencrypted wallet backups are stored all over the servers.." approach we see now.)
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
September 30, 2012, 03:05:10 PM

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
September 30, 2012, 03:01:54 PM

If we are ever going to be accepted by the mainstream establishment, we need to conform with the regulations governing it. It is time Bitcoin grew up and started playing by the rules.

In the meantime, we will be making sure the long-arm of government can reach our Bitcoin donations and donations everywhere. For tax and legal purposes. We need to cooperate with authorities if we are going anywhere. Bitcoin will have to be a complementary currency to what is already legitimately out there.

The Bitcoin Foundation: Bringing Social Responsibility and Governance to Bitcoin

Sponsored by The Federal Reserve Bank

You realize that it's precisely the nature of bitcoin as an undertaking with no owning body that makes self-organized bodies such as the Bitcoin Foundation inevitable, right? No one has the ability to prevent it. People are free to form whatever businesses and structures they want.

Why aren't you forming your own? There seem to be a few highly-vocal people in this thread that agree with you. Several organizations operating side-by-side, all with the goal of supporting bitcoin (whatever that means to the particular org), would be a good thing indeed.
Activity: 826
September 30, 2012, 02:59:10 PM
The certificate program is a very good idea. Thinking otherwise is just stupid.
Bitcoin block chain can be used in many different ways in just 2-3 years that are hard to imagine right now. Why limit bitcoin protocol to medium of exchange or measure of value? Certification is enemy of innovation!
Who said certification would restrict innovation? There's no current known legitimate reason for non-monetary data in the blockchain, but I'm sure if someone came up with one and followed the proper standardization procedures it wouldn't be a problem for certification.

I don't think consumers would be as concerned whether or not a non-monetary of the blockchain had certification, as they don't have to worry about someone "losing their coins". So the company offering such a service would not be pressured to receive a certification.

You can currently write messages in the blockchain btw.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
September 30, 2012, 02:56:42 PM
Also, this forum does not work as a honeypot. One can use PROXY or TOR to access it.

And what exactly is the reason for that ?
legendary
Activity: 1078
September 30, 2012, 02:56:02 PM
hazek, a certificate is in my mind different from insurance. A certificate doesn't necessarily mean there is any "backed guarantee", it's simply a notification that this company passed certain audits by this organization. I don't even think there should be any hard repercussions for the one handling out the certificate if the company gets into trouble. There should be none, whatsoever.

What would happen is that the certificate would become meaningless through the free market - it would have no respect. The auditor, in this case the foundation, would lose all credibility and that is punishment enough.

Don't mix this with insurance, it has (in my opinion) absolutely nothing to do with that. Insurance is something stronger than just a certificate. In many cases at least.

Banks too "passed certain audits by" FDIC and rating agencies which didn't stop them from causing the mortgage crisis with their dishonest practices. A certificate without someone answering for it is a moral hazard (you do understand this term, right?) and is worse for the consumer in the long run than if there is no vetting by an organization.

In other words it's a non solution at best but more likely a huge problem down the road. Why anyone would want that, besides having the power to influence which business gets more short term "legitimacy" I have no idea.

If you are serious about solving the problem of bad business practices, private insurance is the only known free market approach that guarantees the right results.

p.s.: one more thing, according to your theory FDIC and rating agencies should now be discredited because their "seals of approval" were given to bad businesses and yet that isn't the case? Why is that?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
September 30, 2012, 02:39:34 PM
Bitcoin block chain can be used in many different ways in just 2-3 years that are hard to imagine right now. Why limit bitcoin protocol to medium of exchange or measure of value? Certification is enemy of innovation!
Who said certification would restrict innovation? There's no current known legitimate reason for non-monetary data in the blockchain, but I'm sure if someone came up with one and followed the proper standardization procedures it wouldn't be a problem for certification.
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
September 30, 2012, 02:32:43 PM
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
September 30, 2012, 02:14:43 PM
I didn't know that I can use proxy after successfull registration. Thx for the info. Let's move back to the topic.
Activity: 826
September 30, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

Right, after you are pinpointed then you are free to be anonymous. lol

Just register using public wifi.
legendary
Activity: 1358
September 30, 2012, 02:07:41 PM

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
September 30, 2012, 02:07:10 PM
hazek, a certificate is in my mind different from insurance. A certificate doesn't necessarily mean there is any "backed guarantee", it's simply a notification that this company passed certain audits by this organization. I don't even think there should be any hard repercussions for the one handling out the certificate if the company gets into trouble. There should be none, whatsoever.

What would happen is that the certificate would become meaningless through the free market - it would have no respect. The auditor, in this case the foundation, would lose all credibility and that is punishment enough.

Don't mix this with insurance, it has (in my opinion) absolutely nothing to do with that. Insurance is something stronger than just a certificate. In many cases at least.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
September 30, 2012, 01:54:40 PM
banned how? i'm currently using a well known "anonymization" proxy, has never been a problem.
or do you mean "writing about it" and then my posting is banned? that would be terrible.
Pages:
Jump to: