Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation Board Election Details Announced - page 5. (Read 19752 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 254
Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Apparently there aren't a lot of voters at all in this thing: https://electionbuddy.com/elections/9452/results/sdq6pd958

Elizabeth only got 84, and Joerg only got 47. We get that many voters on some of our rather silly polls around here. Admittedly, one of the big reasons I don't like Elizabeth is because her campaign seems to be more about winning a popularity contest than about actual issues. She posts a lot, but much of it is "wow, bitcoin is great." And sure, she matches with some of our general beliefs, but so does everyone else who is anywhere near libertarian politically. There's not much more than "yeah, I agree with what you said" in her writing. I also just can't see her doing much more than supporting the Bitcoin Foundation in their lobbying and working within US only endeavors. So, my next vote I'll be supporting Joerg, who not only seems to understand why bitcoin might need government support, but also why it can survive in spite of it, and can see where we may be headed with it in the future, and even if Joerg doesn't win, I would support him starting up his own Euro-centric foundation as well.

How many votes did you get Rassah?  Given that you're a prominent figure in the Bitcoin community and given how few people voted, it seems like you should have cleaned up. 

Elizabeth bothered to put together (herself) a very comprehensive platform website that seems (to me) to be much omre than "Yeah I agree with what you said"  Where can I find your comprehensive platform thread/website? 

http://elizabethtploshay.com/platform/

I've been watching the reaction around the community and it feels a whole lot to me like sour grapes.  Elizabeth legitimately put in a large amount of time, reached out to EVERY SINGLE member of the foundation personally to solicit feedback and introduce herself, and it paid dividends for her.  Going into this, she was arguably the least known of all the candidates who made it into the top five, and she nearly doubled the next three in vote totals.  How can she win a "popularity" contest if everyone was more popular than she was going into it?

This is a position on the Bitcoin Foundation, not a position in "Bitcoin" - 40% turnout might be standard but in a field with 14 candidates a 30% first round result is as close to overwhelming as you get.  Elizabeth did and continues to do the work, people see that and voted for who they thought was the best candidate.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Apparently there aren't a lot of voters at all in this thing: https://electionbuddy.com/elections/9452/results/sdq6pd958

Elizabeth only got 84, and Joerg only got 47. We get that many voters on some of our rather silly polls around here. Admittedly, one of the big reasons I don't like Elizabeth is because her campaign seems to be more about winning a popularity contest than about actual issues. She posts a lot, but much of it is "wow, bitcoin is great." And sure, she matches with some of our general beliefs, but so does everyone else who is anywhere near libertarian politically. There's not much more than "yeah, I agree with what you said" in her writing. I also just can't see her doing much more than supporting the Bitcoin Foundation in their lobbying and working within US only endeavors. So, my next vote I'll be supporting Joerg, who not only seems to understand why bitcoin might need government support, but also why it can survive in spite of it, and can see where we may be headed with it in the future, and even if Joerg doesn't win, I would support him starting up his own Euro-centric foundation as well.
I think you are right, it looks like only about 40% voted. Just like a government election,lol.
I do support Elizabeth, however I see what your saying about being America-centric. In future elections to the board I would like see more representatives from Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.   
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Congrats to Elizabeth !!
Glad to see such a strong showing for her. She really is an impressive addition to the foundation.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Primary results:

INDIVIDUAL SEAT

Elizabeth T. Ploshay (30.0%)
    Trace Mayer (17.1%)
    Ben Davenport (16.8%)
    Joerg Platzer (16.8%)
    Luke Dashjr (7.1%)

INDUSTRY SEAT

Meyer (Micky) Malka (68.6%)
    Tony Gallippi (8.6%)
    Jaron Lukasiewicz (8.6%)

I'm surprised at how poorly Joerg Platzer did. It seems that a lot of people like him. He may gain votes in the next round.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
Not every Ron Paul supporter is a Bitcoin enthusiast, but are very much in line with its goals. There are also a lot of Bitcoin users who are not Paul supporters, either as anarcho capitalists and agorists who avoid politics completely, or other ideologies which the mainstream would also consider on the fringe. My overall aim is to estimate the potential size of an alternative economy without any need to try to mainstream (and destroy) Bitcoin.

If all else fails, there are alt coins and the option of forking Bitcoin.

Classifying destruction is subjective. Everyone has their own reason for using it. The political use is only one of many and, I suspect, isn't the primary motivator for businessmen. It's not my reason. I want Bitcoin to hit four digits against the US dollar and there to be a place for me to exchange my coins without risking a prison term when I do. I realize Bitcoin was founded in extremist ideology and that's great. Many users are in it for profit and few are mining for free.

One of the most true statements I've ever heard in my life came in a fortune cookie. "Love is the bread of life but money is the honey." You can love your fellow man and want to over throw the evil government all day long but profit is necessary for business.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
black swan hunter
Not every Ron Paul supporter is a Bitcoin enthusiast, but are very much in line with its goals. There are also a lot of Bitcoin users who are not Paul supporters, either as anarcho capitalists and agorists who avoid politics completely, or other ideologies which the mainstream would also consider on the fringe. My overall aim is to estimate the potential size of an alternative economy without any need to try to mainstream (and destroy) Bitcoin.

If all else fails, there are alt coins and the option of forking Bitcoin.
legendary
Centralization, in and of itself, isn't a necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it could create a larger user base and instill trust in the system for the common man. Bitcoin would simply cease to be the Mecca currency for liberals and anarchists. For Bitcoin to reach truly great heights it can't be exclusively used by the annual Porcfest attendees. It makes perfect sense for businessmen to want as large a user base as possible. That will require at least some control by a central authority.

Given the results of the Ron Paul campaign, I estimate the freedom movement potentially consists of 5-10% of the US population. This is about 7.5 to 15 million adults in the US alone. This is way more than enough to form our own economy, build our own businesses within our community, and have our own decentralized money and banking systems. We do not need to dumb down and centralize Bitcoin to attract a larger audience out of the vast pool of mass media manipulated Borg drones of the corporate state who have been responsible for destroying the country for the last 100 years. It can grow organically into an ecosystem at a steady pace as it is with a quality user base. I would estimate another potential 20-40% of the population may follow as they see the initial users prosper. There is another 50% of the population for which there is probably no hope since they are dependent on maintaining the status quo at all costs.

I know I will lose complete interest in Bitcoin if it is 'Paypaled' into near uselessness.

I'm not sure you can classify every Ron Paul supporter as a Bitcoin supporter but maybe. Bitcoin will have a really difficult time being used by the non "Borg Drone" crowd if U.S. businesses fail because that business is driven underground. I do agree that you and many like you will stop using Bitcoin. I already said that above.
legendary
Thanks for this sad news. This was the main reason for my 0.20 btc membership fee. Sad

The intent behind the sign up deadline was to prevent someone from stuffing the ballot box; membership is cheap but foresight is not. We didn't want someone spending a months salary and buying the election.

Since you're obviously tied into the decision making at the foundation, can you tell me why so many people want a German to head up a U.S. Bitcoin business organization? Joerg Platzer probably has an incidental interest in seeing Bitcoin spread worldwide. Other than that, I can't see the reason for supporting him.
He's the only one who finds the decentralization of bitcoin a very important thing to keep. The other members are more open to centralization for bitcoin, which is in my opinion a danger to bitcoin.  

Centralization, in and of itself, isn't a necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it could create a larger user base and instill trust in the system for the common man. Bitcoin would simply cease to be the Mecca currency for liberals and anarchists. For Bitcoin to reach truly great heights it can't be exclusively used by the annual Porcfest attendees. It makes perfect sense for businessmen to want as large a user base as possible. That will require at least some control by a central authority.
The point is: No central authority call be trust.
The whole concept / fundamentals of bitcoin are built upon that no one even bitcoin itself can not be trust. Only the decentralization can protect this concept.  Central planning / banks were the reason Satoshi built this thing. http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

I understand and I'm not disputing the above statement. I also agree that foundation membership is made up of members of this forum so it's multinational. Platinum and silver members are mostly running U.S. based businesses and the largest investors in the membership like the Bitinstant (Winklevoss twins) and Bitcoinstore are going to attempt to set the agenda based on the needs of U.S. based businesses. Mark Karpeles, even though he's a frenchman running a Japanese business, must understand the value of supporting the business startups in the US. Just because you vote for the president does not mean you will vote on every action that they take on a daily basis.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
black swan hunter

Given the results of the Ron Paul campaign, I estimate the freedom movement potentially consists of 5-10% of the US population. This is about 7.5 to 15 million adults in the US alone. This is way more than enough to form our own economy, build our own businesses within our community, and have our own decentralized money and banking systems. We do not need to dumb down and centralize Bitcoin to attract a larger audience out of the vast pool of mass media manipulated Borg drones of the corporate state who have been responsible for destroying the country for the last 100 years. It can grow organically into an ecosystem at a steady pace as it is with a quality user base. I would estimate another potential 20-40% of the population may follow as they see the initial users prosper. There is another 50% of the population for which there is probably no hope since they are dependent on maintaining the status quo at all costs.

I know I will lose complete interest in Bitcoin if it is 'Paypaled' into near uselessness.
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
Thanks for this sad news. This was the main reason for my 0.20 btc membership fee. Sad

The intent behind the sign up deadline was to prevent someone from stuffing the ballot box; membership is cheap but foresight is not. We didn't want someone spending a months salary and buying the election.

Since you're obviously tied into the decision making at the foundation, can you tell me why so many people want a German to head up a U.S. Bitcoin business organization? Joerg Platzer probably has an incidental interest in seeing Bitcoin spread worldwide. Other than that, I can't see the reason for supporting him.
He's the only one who finds the decentralization of bitcoin a very important thing to keep. The other members are more open to centralization for bitcoin, which is in my opinion a danger to bitcoin.  

The point is: No central authority call be trust.
The whole concept / fundamentals of bitcoin are built upon that no one even bitcoin itself can not be trust. Only the decentralization can protect this concept.  Central planning / banks were the reason Satoshi built this thing. http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
The Bitcoin Foundation's mission is here:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/
(nothing specific about the US)

- Bitcoin is a protocol with a global user base.
- 60%* of the Foundations member are from outside of the US(* from the recent bitcoin foundation newsletter).
- New Bitcoin Foundation Executive Director Jon Matonis talks about his agenda for the foundation here.
https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/e23-2-setting-the-agenda-with

While the path that legislation and regulation take us down in the US is important this should not be the sole concern of the foundation.
https://plus.google.com/114798402540078632611/posts/KUEn4qQ3NpA
legendary

legendary

Our decision making process was made via a thread on our forum. I coordinated the thread and put the recommendations we made to the board on GitHub.

A large fraction of foundation members are not from the US...not sure exactly how many...maybe 30-40%? I think internationalizing the foundation is critical and should be a priority. I suspect that's driving some votes.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just see the recent foundation lobbying efforts in Washington and the primary business donors/members as evidence of a U.S. centric organization. It would be in the foundations best interest to move away from that considering the overall government reception in the U.S. for Bitcoin and similar businesses.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)

Our decision making process was made via a thread on our forum. I coordinated the thread and put the recommendations we made to the board on GitHub.

A large fraction of foundation members are not from the US...not sure exactly how many...maybe 30-40%? I think internationalizing the foundation is critical and should be a priority. I suspect that's driving some votes.
legendary

I don't want to buy election. Just want to vote. That's all...
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)

BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Platzer
Pages:
Jump to: