Author

Topic: [ANN] cudaMiner & ccMiner CUDA based mining applications [Windows/Linux/MacOSX] - page 613. (Read 3426922 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
something I don't understand... bitcoin is going down and the altcoins are also going down... If there was some logic, they should go up (as the logic is to assume that nobody will sell their hard mined coin for nothing...)
Bad news in countrycoin world Aphroditecoin dev is dumping the premine   Grin

Right now the best investment is community coin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-communitycoin-comm-fair-free-distribution-pure-pos-wallet-updated-529481
PoS coin (no mining, only minting)
You get 1M comm for free (assuming you are eligible), they still have to 5~600 shares of 1M to distribute.

I think the massive amount of shitcoins released have finally started to take effect and it has become too overwhelming for some new people to figure it all out.  It seems like every other day there are problems at a different exchange too.  Confidence in the marketplace is all we need.  Dumb US regulations, China, and other stuff is making everyone scared.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
something I don't understand... bitcoin is going down and the altcoins are also going down... If there was some logic, they should go up (as the logic is to assume that nobody will sell their hard mined coin for nothing...)
Bad news in countrycoin world Aphroditecoin dev is dumping the premine   Grin

Right now the best investment is community coin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-communitycoin-comm-fair-free-distribution-pure-pos-wallet-updated-529481
PoS coin (no mining, only minting)
You get 1M comm for free (assuming you are eligible), they still have to 5~600 shares of 1M to distribute.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
Well that ended rather poorly.

Brand new $4k Alienware COOKED in less than one hour...lol

LITERALLY throwing purple? acrid smoke...my office still stinks almost a full 24hrs. later.

Don't think scrypt mining is for me!
Ouch! I remember when I cpu mined YAC on my laptop, didn't go over 80C but I still kept track of temperatures. Hmm actually I always keep track of temperatures... You should too! Small software programs to save expensive hardware Smiley

never sell bitcoin in the morning... it is always when shit happens
Yeah I guess, well atleast I am learning Smiley

Doesn't MSI afterburner and other programs have an option for when the card reaches certain temps, it starts underclocking. and CUDAmanager has an option for when it reaches a predefined temp, it sets the fan to 100, an when it reaches another, higher temp, it shuts down the mining software. Also, do not place the laptop directly on a flat surface, unless that surface is an active cooler or a huge chunk of dry ice, try placing a bottle-cap on each corner to improve the airflow and get better cooling
Clearly I have the worst timings, as the Bitcoin went up €20 RIGHT AFTER I SOLD ONE  Angry
/madness off

Well I finally made a purchase of 1 btc and the next day it promptly dropped to like 400, so yeah, I think it will take another week or two of no major bitcoin news to stabilize. All this recent drama has made it pretty hard to figure out what it will settle at.
Activity: 182

LITERALLY throwing purple? acrid smoke...my office still stinks almost a full 24hrs. later.

Ouch! I remember when I cpu mined YAC on my laptop, didn't go over 80C but I still kept track of temperatures. Hmm actually I always keep track of temperatures... You should too! Small software programs to save expensive hardware Smiley

Yeah I guess, well atleast I am learning Smiley
Activity: 756
Merit: 502

This was day 1 out of the box so yea the entire unit will be going back and a replacement sent.  Won't be trying that again but still the thing should have better cooling than that.  If I didn't unplug it this thing was %100 going to flame up in another 30 seconds.  The smoke was getting that thick slow kind right before something ignites.

You should have pointed a camera at the thing and put it on youtube showing it flame up and burn. Some companies really hate that, and they'll gladly pay you to take down such a video to prevent damage to the brand.

"laptop self destructs by running software... here's the download link if you wanna try yourself."

Christian

P.S.: sorry for your loss, I guess there's some truth in the warnings to NOT mine with laptops, especially desktop PC replacement devices with high powered GPUs.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

Haha,with a laptop,same issue,but luckily only my PSU blew up. My card is still safe as is my HD .Phew. Do you have a warranty on that one?

This was day 1 out of the box so yea the entire unit will be going back and a replacement sent.  Won't be trying that again but still the thing should have better cooling than that.  If I didn't unplug it this thing was %100 going to flame up in another 30 seconds.  The smoke was getting that thick slow kind right before something ignites.

It actually turns on and boots up on battery but the moment you connect the AC adapter now it starts throwing smoke right where it plugs into the laptop...I got no interest in owning that...lol

If nothing else this little experiment has given me a great deal of respect for people who scrypt mine, especially with big setups.  ASICS are way easier to cool!  You stick a fan on those fuckers and they are good to go!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
Clearly I have the worst timings, as the Bitcoin went up €20 RIGHT AFTER I SOLD ONE  Angry
/madness off
Activity: 350
Clearly I have the worst timings, as the Bitcoin went up €20 RIGHT AFTER I SOLD ONE  Angry
/madness off

Sorry to hear it. Im keeping all mine now
Activity: 182
/madness off
Activity: 676
Merit: 500
I have ordered 6 pci-e 1x ribbon risers and Saturday i will have them , each cost 5 $.
My friend made , a month ago, the same rig with this kind of risers and he had not a single issue. i will build the stand for the cards and start the minig again. I wil try to sell the usb risers and so on . Wink
I wonder if they do 6/8 pin pci-e power to molex. I know they do dual molex to 6pin

As the pci-e power cables are rated to 150w so even older psus could run a load of gpus and just use the 6pin to molex adapters

I will tell you what the problem is , i have the same one and we discussed it 2 pages back.
The problem is the lack of external molex on the Gpu and the stupidity of the usb risers and their lack of geting power from the pci-e slot.
So the usb risers get power only from the sata connector and when you put 3 or 4 gpu-s they take about 160w from the sata line , and if you see on your power supply the max is 130-140w . So the power is low and the pc restarts or shuts down. You can check it like this , when it is workin , just plug in the usb of your mobo a power hungry device like dvd rw and your phone to charge and you will see the imediate effect. one of the cards will stop and the blue screen apears and the system shuts down.
So if you want to mine with cudaminer using non powered gpus like evga oc edition , then you have to use non usb risers , but the old riboon risers , they don`t cause such a problem , cause the gpu gets it power from the pci-e slot.
If you want to use usb risers then you have to get a gpu that has external power molex , so that you don`t get all power from the sata line.
That is the bloody f--king problem and it suckes a lot.

you're right.... I try to connect my r9 290x with riser Not powered (but with external gpus molex)  and 3 750ti and everything works fine https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi61.tinypic.com%2F52nj8w.jpg&t=538&c=CQw1tEx4TxTiZg
Sadly, I am and now I have to buy new risers and bild the rig a stand.
Buy 750 ti only with external power molex people!!! Grin

Or you could just do what I did and use half powered ribbon risers and only a couple usb ones.  All of mine have external power though so it doesn't really matter, I just had to use too many adapters. Wish I had got more ti's WITHOUT the external power since I have way too many wires everywhere now.

It all comes down to balancing the load across your psu rails and not overloading your pci's
Activity: 676
Merit: 500
Well i don`t know but i was minig for a week with my laptop Lenovo i7 y570 with gtx555. At first i saw the gpu at 95c but when i cleaned the exhaust system it went so well and i was minig with it at max 70c i was minig crypt and then vertcoin and these days i tryed heavycoin.  Lenovo rules  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 308

Haha,with a laptop,same issue,but luckily only my PSU blew up. My card is still safe as is my HD .Phew. Do you have a warranty on that one?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
One of my old neighbours had a dual gpu alienware laptop and the gpus actually set on fire. I dont think they have great thermal design on some. But its always possible to get the odd bad laptop cooler
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
I never tried mining on my laptop, seeing as how running Torchlight I (albeit on the highest settings) turns it into a rather toasty lapwarmer.

I get mine to sound like a jet engine mining scrypt (topping 95 deg C), but a properly designed laptop should neither fail nor crash nor smoke under peak load.

Bad thermal design by Alienware. Covered by warranty I hope.

Jump to: