Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [ETC] Ethereum Classic: Immutable Smart Contracts - page 9. (Read 821072 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 145
🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀

Can the team trace all these things because double spend is a really big attack but how can they recover those looses? Whether those double-spend coins will be recovered or they need to readjust the code in order to delete those double spend tokens?

I guess that this will be forever stored in the blockchain unless they want to fork it to bail out that hystory but I don't think that it will happen since ETC is immutable
Activity: 686
Merit: 10

Can the team trace all these things because double spend is a really big attack but how can they recover those looses? Whether those double-spend coins will be recovered or they need to readjust the code in order to delete those double spend tokens?
Activity: 1918
Merit: 535
Dominant hashrates in one pool will highly result in potential Replay attacks.
As someone stated above, the fees require to hire enough hashrates from NiceHash to make attacks become cheaper recent months, due to drops of both bitcoin and altcoins.
Consequently, more and more attacks occured within last several months.

this is an inherent weakness of POW.
Activity: 126
Dominant hashrates in one pool will highly result in potential Replay attacks.
As someone stated above, the fees require to hire enough hashrates from NiceHash to make attacks become cheaper recent months, due to drops of both bitcoin and altcoins.
Consequently, more and more attacks occured within last several months.
Activity: 172
Merit: 0
Its not ETC fault that it got 51% attacked. Right now many coins are vulnerable to getting 51% attacked since the prices are low and with low prices miners have left and there is less hashrate and easier to attack.

Not only that but its also cheaper to attack because the hashrate is cheaper to buy on Nicehash.

51% attacks are generally targetted towards exchanges and the exchange needs to have some monitoring in place to make sure they aren't vulernable to the attack; basically what Coinbase did. Its highly unlikely someone would do a 51% to double spend a transaction that was conducted OTC or by peer to peer such as a local meet.

An interesting statement by Charlie Lee on this attack:

“By definition, a decentralized cryptocurrency must be susceptible to 51% attacks whether by hashrate, stake, and/or other permissionlessly-acquirable resources. If a crypto can't be 51% attacked, it is permissioned and centralized.”

BTW, if we compare the current hash of Ethash coins, it's clear that Etheruem and Ethereum Classic are dominating the first two positions by a big margin:

No.1: Ethereum = ~175 Th/s

No.2: Ethereum Classic = ~8.50 Th/s

No.3: Callisto = ~0.90 Th/s

Interestingly, the Ethereum will get the algorithm change soon, making Ethereum Classic a perfect candidate for all the current hashrate of Ethereum. If miners really switch to Ethereum Classic after Etheruem goes ASIC-resistant ProgPow, it'll become considerably expensive for anyone to 51%-attack Ethereum Classic again.

No.
1) Most of ETH miners will switch to ProgPow.
2) Nicehash will get more Ethash power avaliable.
3) Some (not significant) part of ETH miner will join to ETC

The main threat for ETC is Nicehash. A temporal solution is maybe also change algo to ProgPow.. or to MTP.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
Is it confirmed that what happened on the 5th of this month is really an attack by the pirates or is there another explanation? Because I read some news but it is not the same ,while I checked this article but I did not really understand what happened
https://medium.com/@slowmist/the-analysis-of-etc-51-attack-from-slowmist-team-728596d76ead

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535
Is it confirmed that what happened on the 5th of this month is really an attack by the pirates or is there another explanation? Because I read some news but it is not the same ,while I checked this article but I did not really understand what happened
https://medium.com/@slowmist/the-analysis-of-etc-51-attack-from-slowmist-team-728596d76ead

51% attack confirmed by exchange gate.io
see paper on cointelegraph
Activity: 325
It's not a good day for all of us when bitcoin crashed a gain with more than $200 lost per BTC hours ago.
Now, it's likely time to see how BTC recover from current price and then acts of altcoins (ETC as well).
Activity: 500
Merit: 102
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505
Its not ETC fault that it got 51% attacked. Right now many coins are vulnerable to getting 51% attacked since the prices are low and with low prices miners have left and there is less hashrate and easier to attack.

Not only that but its also cheaper to attack because the hashrate is cheaper to buy on Nicehash.

51% attacks are generally targetted towards exchanges and the exchange needs to have some monitoring in place to make sure they aren't vulernable to the attack; basically what Coinbase did. Its highly unlikely someone would do a 51% to double spend a transaction that was conducted OTC or by peer to peer such as a local meet.

An interesting statement by Charlie Lee on this attack:

“By definition, a decentralized cryptocurrency must be susceptible to 51% attacks whether by hashrate, stake, and/or other permissionlessly-acquirable resources. If a crypto can't be 51% attacked, it is permissioned and centralized.”

BTW, if we compare the current hash of Ethash coins, it's clear that Etheruem and Ethereum Classic are dominating the first two positions by a big margin:

No.1: Ethereum = ~175 Th/s

No.2: Ethereum Classic = ~8.50 Th/s

No.3: Callisto = ~0.90 Th/s

Interestingly, the Ethereum will get the algorithm change soon, making Ethereum Classic a perfect candidate for all the current hashrate of Ethereum. If miners really switch to Ethereum Classic after Etheruem goes ASIC-resistant ProgPow, it'll become considerably expensive for anyone to 51%-attack Ethereum Classic again.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
What was strange during and after this reorg of chain which led to double spend attack market didn't show panic. You can see price are still holding reasonable floor and there is some invisible support from somewhere for ETC continuously. It is another unfortunate token which got victim of this incident because of low hash.
Activity: 602
Merit: 107
The latest 51% attack on the Ethereum Classic network made it possible to double spend the ETC:

https://coincodex.tv/videos/622/51-attack-on-ethereum-classic
Activity: 1652
Merit: 583
xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

this is a bad news, but the good one is that ETC has recovered the value in a day, so we have support here
Activity: 365
Merit: 103
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1003
Is the attack on the ETC has closed the wallets and whether there is a loss of ETC currency or anything else because some of the trading platforms froze the transfers, but the exchange process is going normally

Although some exchanges start processing the deposit and withdrawal but if you are thinking to move them to your wallet than it would be better option to stay calm down for few more time if you had your coins in exchange wallet.
Activity: 616
Merit: 145
🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀
Is the attack on the ETC has closed the wallets and whether there is a loss of ETC currency or anything else because some of the trading platforms froze the transfers, but the exchange process is going normally

I don't think that if you had coins into an exchange you lost money since they halted deposits and withdrawals to prevent double spending transactions, baah will see
Activity: 172
Merit: 0
[...]
Sorry, so we need to wait until ETH makes its moves from POW to POS later? then what will happen with our ETC if ETH does not make any movement for a couple of years later?
also, 51% attack is not a small matter. It could halt any transaction and even reverse the transaction.
why would people keep mining it, if the probability for them to get profit is almost zero? yeah skyrocketing to $0.01? or $0.0001?
this does not make any sense!

Smiley not literally, it was a prediction that with ETH going POS, than ETC will gain for sure more mining support and in that way become more secure and harder to suffer an 51% attack again

I doubt so. There are too much mining power in the world relative to cryptomarket size. ETC mining has little room for profit, it can not accept additional miners in big amounts.   
Activity: 500
Merit: 102
Pages:
Jump to: