Author

Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning - page 1278. (Read 2003740 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
January 28, 2014, 03:13:42 PM
We need a fresh infusion of 15 Million just to hold the price.

Economy works another way.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
January 28, 2014, 03:01:24 PM
I've added a question to the list:

(#) Ask them to make the case for why we need Proof of Work and the inflationary model of crypto-equity distribution? If Proof of Work is necessary for securing the blockchain, why aren't they going with a deflationary model which requires Ethers to be destroyed when spent to offset the justified inflation if it must be mined by Proof of Work?
+1

Ethereum might be a victim of its own success. If they end up raising 30 Million. Given that equity will be diluted at launch and there will be 0.4X (12 million supply coming in) + funds divested by investors + salaries payed to ethereum members etc...
We need a fresh infusion of 15 Million just to hold the price. An increase of 10x the price will require - 150 Million coming into the system.
I would say this is a great idea, however not such a good deal for investors.  
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 02:50:34 PM
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie here and I'm not inclined to post much but I really wanted to chip in with my 2 cents worth. Unfortunately that will be all I will be chipping in.

I cannot overstate how disappointed I have been with this launch. I had heard great things about the team and the idea behind this project and after reading the white paper I've been really excited about the IPO and what Ethereum is planning to offer.

I had planned to invest on day 1.

I have read this entire thread from beginning to end and obviously, lots of questions, criticisms and concerns have been raised here. Some of them legitimate and some of them I'm sure not so. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the devs and have been looking forward to hearing their rebuttal of the criticism.

I think it is absolutely unforgivable that not one member of the (large) team has been on here to offer any sort of answers to the many questions of potential investors who have legitimate concerns over the use of their hard earned. It is three days before the launch and I would have thought that they would be doing everything in their power to be putting people at their ease. I realise that they may have been busy over the weekend but there is simply no excuse for not getting on here and answering some questions. IMHO it smacks of arrogance.

Despite this I have not lost all interest in the project and will be following the launch closely. I for one however, will not be putting one mBTC on the line before getting some serious answers.

If anyone from the team actually reads this then please put us straight... Some serious PR needed now methinks...

This is a really good summary of what I think most Bitcointalk people feel as of late, which is also what is driving most of the negative stuff in this thread.

Cheers mate. This was my favourite quote from the white paper:

"the idea behind birthday-based proofs of work is simple: find values xn,i,j such that i < k, j < k and |H(data+xn+i) - H(data+xn+j)| < 2^256 / d^2."

Unfortunately this is about as simple as investing in Ethereum has become.  Huh
Activity: 452
Merit: 251
January 28, 2014, 02:05:59 PM
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie here and I'm not inclined to post much but I really wanted to chip in with my 2 cents worth. Unfortunately that will be all I will be chipping in.

I cannot overstate how disappointed I have been with this launch. I had heard great things about the team and the idea behind this project and after reading the white paper I've been really excited about the IPO and what Ethereum is planning to offer.

I have read this entire thread from beginning to end and obviously, lots of questions, criticisms and concerns have been raised here. Some of them legitimate and some of them I'm sure not so. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the devs and have been looking forward to hearing their rebuttal of the criticism.

I think it is absolutely unforgivable that not one member of the (large) team has been on here to offer any sort of answers to the many questions of potential investors who have legitimate concerns over the use of their hard earned. It is three days before the launch and I would have thought that they would be doing everything in their power to be putting people at their ease. I realise that they may have been busy over the weekend but there is simply no excuse for not getting on here and answering some questions. IMHO it smacks of arrogance.

Despite this I have not lost all interest in the project and will be following the launch closely. I for one however, will not be putting one mBTC on the line before getting some serious answers.

If anyone from the team actually reads this then please put us straight... Some serious PR needed now methinks...

This is a really good summary of what I think most Bitcointalk people feel as of late, which is also what is driving most of the negative stuff in this thread.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 01:49:23 PM
Hi All,

January 28, 2014, 01:43:23 PM

As much as I want Ethereum to succeed, a fool and his money are soon parted. There has to be much stronger interaction with the community. These people are upset for many reasons. I will continue being an optimist and hope they won't be ignored.
Activity: 205
January 28, 2014, 01:41:03 PM
                                                                After 1 year        After 5 years
Currency units                                           1.9X                        3.5X
Fundraiser participants                                   52.6%                28.6%
Fiduciary members and early contributors           11.8%                6.42%
Additional pre-launch allocations                   2.63%                1.42%
Reserve                                                   11.8%                6.42%
Miners                                                   21.1%                57.1%

So... who's going to want to mine this?
How is fiduciary members at 11.8%? It says in the first post you will take X from the fundraiser and multiply by .5 for the fiduciary members premine, or does that include the reserve and "pre-launch allocations"?
The amounts seem quite... lavish <- doesn't quite fit, maybe gluttonously greedy.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
January 28, 2014, 01:39:37 PM
January 28, 2014, 01:29:26 PM
If you support Ethereum you are fired - both metaphysically and spiritually from humanity. You are no longer human in my eyes because you are directly slowing technological progression and costing millions of human lives in the long run.

Literally the most ridiculous thing I've read on Bitcointalk. Trying to force your own will onto others is exactly what you did with that statement. Are we not free to choose?
Activity: 1162
Merit: 568
January 28, 2014, 01:28:04 PM
IPO just around the corner and still no word from the ether team ... chirp chirp.

with 4 founders and a dozen+ "developers, marketers, entrepreneurs, evangelists and partners"
you'd think they could spend sometime answering their potential investors and criticism...

• silent on bitcointalk
  • blog is down
  • facebook inactive
  • 0 tweets on twitter

I guess they have more important things to do ...

Yup, the most important thing is to find a big enough bag to hold money.   Grin Grin Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
January 28, 2014, 01:23:55 PM
Looks like a well organized IPO, which kind of worries me.
Cheesy ... exactly.

An attempt to create the "Matrix" but leave the really thorny questions of the crypto-world unresolved - the blockchain size infinity and txn fees derived out of fanciful anti-economics.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
January 28, 2014, 01:23:35 PM
If you support Ethereum you are fired - both metaphysically and spiritually from humanity. You are no longer human in my eyes because you are directly slowing technological progression and costing millions of human lives in the long run.

and with silly comments like that.. you sir, are ignored.
January 28, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
This is a con:

Here is the reality:

https://ripple.com/wiki/Contracts

Contracts actually came out of the field of genomics.

https://peercover.com/deck#/

This is actually coded in >500,000 lines of code.

The founders of Ethereum stole and remarketed the entire pitch from the Ripple community with help from the Bitangels. All they did was pontificate and whitepaper what already exists in a more inefficient way.

By supporting Ethereum, you are supporting intellectual property theft and the very same media manipulated system of ages past. The sad reality is that the very people you trust are evil, vile, and despicable.

nobody wants your crapple... proprietary premined coin...
which ever system the world ends up using should be open source and free.
btw wasn't cripple supposed to be open sourced eventually anyways? if its open source there cant be any intellectual property theft or did you miss the whole point of open source?

in fact wasn't the whole idea of ripple ripped from Bitcoin? hmmm

Activity: 224
January 28, 2014, 01:14:33 PM

I agree that of all the features hyped, none of them are new besides the Turing-complete code. Which is not particularly a new concept itself, as most coins don't implement it because if done wrong you don't want to be blame for malicious scripts infecting everyone's computers.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
"to survive, we must live and fly"
January 28, 2014, 01:05:42 PM
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
"to survive, we must live and fly"
January 28, 2014, 01:02:19 PM
This is a con:

Here is the reality:

https://ripple.com/wiki/Contracts

Contracts actually came out of the field of genomics.

https://peercover.com/deck#/

This is actually coded in >500,000 lines of code.

The founders of Ethereum stole and remarketed the entire pitch from the Ripple community with help from the Bitangels. All they did was pontificate and whitepaper what already exists in a more inefficient way.

By supporting Ethereum, you are supporting intellectual property theft and the very same media manipulated system of ages past. The sad reality is that the very people you trust are evil, vile, and despicable.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Activity: 714
Merit: 502
January 28, 2014, 12:54:22 PM

I think its great.. the more risk and skepticism the less each individual is likely to invest.
which means far greater dispersion of shares.

same thing will happen with the miners.

If you believe anyone believes what they are reading or saying rather than understanding what your saying is true. In that case there could be a shockingly high amount of interest despite all this negativity.

I for one wont be investing the IPO is ridiculous, I'm out.
January 28, 2014, 12:49:41 PM

I think its great.. the more risk and skepticism the less each individual is likely to invest.
which means far greater dispersion of shares.

same thing will happen with the miners.

k99
Activity: 346
Merit: 255
Manfred Karrer
Jump to: