Author

Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping - page 252. (Read 2115876 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128
1/ with BTC - is 0.005 USD per hash (my guess) expensive ? How much is it with FCT ?
See https://shop.factom.com/
You get 1000 Entry Credits for $10 = $0.01 per EC. One EC can hold up to 1kb of data. A SHA256 hash has a size of 32 bytes. So ~30 hashes fit into one entry.
30 hashes on the Bitcoin blockchain would cost 15x as much = $0.15 (when I use your numbers).

However, transaction fees vary on bitcoin and tend to raise over time. You also don't want to bloat the bitcoin blockchain with billions of hashes.

2/ prices may vary, but for both I'd say
Yes, probably for both. Not sure on Factom. However, Factoms masterstroke is, that this doesn't affect the price if you want to store data. The price is fixed at $0.01 per EC. In the moment someone buys EC, a federated server calculates how much factoids are worth $0.01 and burns them. If a Factoid is worth $0.01, 1 Factoid is burned. Is it worth $1 than only 0.01 Factoids get burned. The customer who wants to store data doesn't have to care about this.

3/ custom blockchains probably not with BTC, but there are other solutions, and what is the reason to try with FCT if the data is not guaranteed to be stored ?
I guess I don't understand what you mean.

4/ ?? you "buy" xxx ?? What is the difference ?
From step 2: when someone buys EC (which are needed to store data), then he would need Factoids which get burned for these ECs. However, Factom Inc. handles this for its clients. They just say "give me 1k EC please". Factom says "ok, here it is" while they are automatically creating a wallet, sending factoids to it and convert them into ECs. Since EC are not tradeable but just a token to store data and because it's value is fixed at $0.01, the customer technically doesn't own cryptocurrency and never needs to have a complicated bookkeeping to record the current exchange rate at the moment the data is stored. Not to mention the regulations involved when you buy/own/use a real cryptocurrency.

Thanks for explanation, I believe it is useful for everybody.
I am sorry for my stupid English, please bear with me. With regards to 3/ - the data is not guaranteed to be stored - so what is the reason to try to store hashes or anything with FCT, if it just may disappear ? With BTC I buy the storage in the blockchain forever. Does it make more sense now ?

It's the same in Factom. The hashes, and hashes are data, are stored forever - in Factom and the Bitcoin-Blockchain. But the data that is hashed is not stored by Factom. It has to be that way, because nobody would want to store personal data, like medical records, on a blockchain.

The sense is: Let's say a bank hashes transactions and places the hashes into Factom and Factom into the Bitcoin-Blockchain ---> one year or five years later the bank has proof that nothing was altered or deleted. If there would be a hash in Factom but the file is missing, it would reveal that data was deleted. If there is a file that doesn't match to the hash it was altered etc. Plus: It's also about organizing data and we talk about "big-data" here.

And Factom also can be used to hash access to data. Let's say you work for a bank and you log into your account - Factom can record that as hash (depends on the application, on how the bank uses Factom). And let's say you open a file and change it --> Entry into Factom. So it's not just about the data and hashes but also about responsibility. It makes it much harder to mess with data once it's recorded as hashes. And that is more powerful than most people think because it's not just about objective aspects like:

- Proof of Existence: a document existed in this form at a certain time.
- Proof of Process: a document existed and is linked to this new updated document.
- Proof of Audit: an updated document can be verified to have changed according to a set of rules.

...but also about the way people think and act. That's why it's called "honesty-system". It doesn't prevent dishonest behaviour, it doesn't make it impossible to manipulate or delete data. But Factom would reveal it.

To understand how powerful that is it needs some knowledge about how it's handled today and how much manipulation is going on everywhere on this world with data.
.m.
Activity: 280
Merit: 260
1/ with BTC - is 0.005 USD per hash (my guess) expensive ? How much is it with FCT ?
See https://shop.factom.com/
You get 1000 Entry Credits for $10 = $0.01 per EC. One EC can hold up to 1kb of data. A SHA256 hash has a size of 32 bytes. So ~30 hashes fit into one entry.
30 hashes on the Bitcoin blockchain would cost 15x as much = $0.15 (when I use your numbers).

However, transaction fees vary on bitcoin and tend to raise over time. You also don't want to bloat the bitcoin blockchain with billions of hashes.

2/ prices may vary, but for both I'd say
Yes, probably for both. Not sure on Factom. However, Factoms masterstroke is, that this doesn't affect the price if you want to store data. The price is fixed at $0.01 per EC. In the moment someone buys EC, a federated server calculates how much factoids are worth $0.01 and burns them. If a Factoid is worth $0.01, 1 Factoid is burned. Is it worth $1 than only 0.01 Factoids get burned. The customer who wants to store data doesn't have to care about this.

3/ custom blockchains probably not with BTC, but there are other solutions, and what is the reason to try with FCT if the data is not guaranteed to be stored ?
I guess I don't understand what you mean.

4/ ?? you "buy" xxx ?? What is the difference ?
From step 2: when someone buys EC (which are needed to store data), then he would need Factoids which get burned for these ECs. However, Factom Inc. handles this for its clients. They just say "give me 1k EC please". Factom says "ok, here it is" while they are automatically creating a wallet, sending factoids to it and convert them into ECs. Since EC are not tradeable but just a token to store data and because it's value is fixed at $0.01, the customer technically doesn't own cryptocurrency and never needs to have a complicated bookkeeping to record the current exchange rate at the moment the data is stored. Not to mention the regulations involved when you buy/own/use a real cryptocurrency.

Thanks for explanation, I believe it is useful for everybody.
I am sorry for my stupid English, please bear with me. With regards to 3/ - the data is not guaranteed to be stored - so what is the reason to try to store hashes or anything with FCT, if it just may disappear ? With BTC I buy the storage in the blockchain forever. Does it make more sense now ?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
There is well organized FCT dump and pump team

Well lots of us do consider these large 500 BTC dumps fishy, especially since they ve got a quite repetitive character. Yet, this is just speculation and we should focus on the positive news and events.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 501
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
There is well organized FCT dump and pump team
legendary
Activity: 1057
Merit: 1009
Nearly got margin called  Grin. Tough day for factom, why did the price fall so much? Any negative news?

In my opinion only btc appreciation that push down all the alt coins....
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Nearly got margin called  Grin. Tough day for factom, why did the price fall so much? Any negative news?
Activity: 94
Merit: 1

I had the opposite problem. I just didnt think the price could drop this much... and got margin called.

Such is life.

Sorry to hear that. What lesson did you learn from it?

Not that much. I can still buy back on the way up.
To my mind, the only problem with Factom is timing, all other variables align - so Im playing it risky - but still, got carried away.
I wont say 'dont use margin', but I will say the 2.5x part is a 'suggestion'. Given the manipulated nature of alts - I'll probably stick to 2x or less from hereon.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I am shocked by the dumping. I guess a bunch of people bought low to sell high. All noise though. Just waiting for a new ATH and then the lack of selling and all of a sudden thousands of BTC in support and no sellers.

Exaggerations goes both ways.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

I had the opposite problem. I just didnt think the price could drop this much... and got margin called.

Such is life.

Sorry to hear that. What lesson did you learn from it?
Activity: 94
Merit: 1
I am shocked by the dumping. I guess a bunch of people bought low to sell high. All noise though. Just waiting for a new ATH and then the lack of selling and all of a sudden thousands of BTC in support and no sellers.

Yeah, this was a pretty major shake-out. FCT's admittedly hard to wrap your mind around initially, so probably a lot of the recent sellers were people who jumped on the bandwagon over the past few weeks, but when the price started to fall didn't know enough about Factom to hold on ... aka weak hands.

Such is life.
Activity: 385

Yeah, this was a pretty major shake-out. FCT's admittedly hard to wrap your mind around initially, so probably a lot of the recent sellers were people who jumped on the bandwagon over the past few weeks, but when the price started to fall didn't know enough about Factom to hold on ... aka weak hands.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

The dump seems to be over and the price will recover. The main reason behind it is BTC price jump combined with weak hands running into XMR to try to skim some profit. People just don't learn not to buy at the peak, which is what happens with Monero now.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
LOL.  Coordinated attempt to tank FCT.

I've been buying up more FCT at these levels and am about to squeeze the shit out of the shorts.

Stand back...
Well... that sure didn't work.

Hahah.

I sure do own a lot of FCT now...

"The system is designed to keep the price low" - quote from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1noFK6M8ktU  

No he specifically says " It is designed to keep the price of a Factoid low".

I think you're confused about how direct quotes work.

Happy to discuss if you find the place in the video where Snow says either of the things above, or some variation. But otherwise you should take a peek at the thread's header, "Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping."

By the way, how's your 5-day-old account treating you?
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
I warned yall. XMR is continuing an aggressive push and the sponge effect is taking over. XMR will be worth 0.03 while everyone here is sitting on their hands waiting for these tokens to rise. FCT is not a store of value / token that is designed to sustain a high value. It has been stated in this interview with lead DEV PAUL SNOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1noFK6M8ktU

I've been buying up more FCT at these levels and am about to squeeze the shit out of the shorts.

Stand back...

Yeah, one thing that endears me the most to FCT is the lack of arguments by FCT fudders. Most are either confused or appear to have some other agenda. Seriously ... aside from a black-swan event (Bitcoin is hacked, Paul Snow decides he's more interested in water-skiiing than blockchain tech) are there any good arguments against FCT? Ppl are clearly still confused about the EC/FCT ecosystem, but ... are there other reasonable criticisms that can be leveled against FCT? Curious to hear them if so.

And cheers to being all-in! If anyone lives in the Bay Area ... I'm going to try to organize an M2-release party, so PM me if you're in the area and interested.
Activity: 784
LOL.  Coordinated attempt to tank FCT.

Stand back...

I'm all in.. Buying every dip. No one has provided one compelling reason to sell other than bs. I have to admit it's definitely a gut check to buy in the face of a sell-off however, I like to buy things on sale.
Activity: 854

Stand back...
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128
Dump it noobs

BTC uptrend has started

Rally to 1000 bucks has begun

Dont be bagholding to rekt coins

As BTC pumps hard to 650, 750 and more, you can get FCT at 0.001

Just do some research and try no to get caught with the FOMO

Good luck buyers and bagholders Smiley

....says the XC-bagholder!