Author

Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping - page 359. (Read 2115876 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
If you see all this innovation and adoption you just wanna buy more and more factoms

My thoughts exactly. This re getting more and more interesting.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
If you see all this innovation and adoption you just wanna buy more and more factoms
legendary
Activity: 924
Identity was the use case I was working on that motivated me to design NotaryChains (which became Factom).   My original idea was to have Factom out of the door by January 2015.   Turns out to be way harder than I gave it credit for.   But we are making some really good progress.

Once we get the protocol stable, Identity is certainly an area we will be working on.  We need it for Factom, after all!

Paul Snow

Speak o' the devil: how's this for coincidence in timing?

"India scans a billion irises in interest of national security"

Quote from: Alice MacGregor
The Indian government is proposing legislation which would allow federal agencies access to its enormous biometric database – which last week reached a rough total of one billion citizen records.

Citing national security, the step to share the data with other authorities comes at a time when the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is attempting to quell student protests and drive Hindu nationalism into the agenda for the upcoming state elections. A national stand-off has ensued between state repression, and those fighting for India’s ‘foundational’ ideas of intellectual freedom and tolerance.

The Aadhaar ID database scheme, launched in 2009, was established to support the streamlining of benefit payments and help control fraud and corruption. Data collected under the project is encrypted and stored within national data centres in Bangalore and Manesar.

Last Friday, Indian reports confirmed that the programme has now registered almost a billion individuals’ finger prints and iris scans.

Privacy advocates have expressed growing fears that an approval in parliament could ‘midwife’ a police state and launch a surveillance programme at both a larger and more intrusive scale than the National Security Agency’s (NSA) espionage campaign revealed by Edward Snowden in 2013.

Privacy advocates...

Anyhoo: thanks for the response, Paul. Or Mr. Snow. Wink
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Paul Snow Testifying before U.S. Congress.
Disrupter Series: Digital Currency and Blockchain Technology.
The Energy and Commerce Committee.
Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 11:00am
https://energycommerce.house.gov/hearings-and-votes/hearings/disputer-series-digital-currency-and-block-chain-technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGo9bpPV3A (Live broadcast ended)
legendary
Activity: 1204
Hello, Guys,

I'm looking for major FCT holders for the purpose of doing OTC(over the counter) deals to acquire this currency without moving market prices at exchanges.
I'll start buying April/May on behalf of my clients and continue to do so for at least a year.

If you are interested, send me a pm or an email, with these details:
Minimum amount i could buy from you, maximum amount i could buy in one operation, your preferred payment method and how to get in touch with you.

You should present ppl with an escrow option, i'm very skeptical of your presentation over many coins.

I am willing to use escrow or pay first to reputable members - this should not be a problem.

and what price are you paying compared to market price
Activity: 74
Merit: 0
Hello, Guys,

I'm looking for major FCT holders for the purpose of doing OTC(over the counter) deals to acquire this currency without moving market prices at exchanges.
I'll start buying April/May on behalf of my clients and continue to do so for at least a year.

Minimum amount i could buy from you, maximum amount i could buy in one operation, your preferred payment method and how to get in touch with you.

You should present ppl with an escrow option, i'm very skeptical of your presentation over many coins.

I am willing to use escrow or pay first to reputable members - this should not be a problem.
legendary
Yes, exactly. This is why I hate Polo for letting bots artificially inflate coin prices. But I guess that s industry too, Polo makes money on trade fees so they greet speculators with open arms. The rest of us can follow the wave as I do or gather Factom like hamsters and wait for the next pump.

If you dont like speculation then perhaps you should not buy any asset - crypto or another - and check the price every day, but just buy it and go away for at least a year.

speculation is what thrives the market. A really good speculator has a much more sober view at the true value of an asset than the average joe and is immune to hype, Fud or Fomo. Those are the guys that invest in Apple or Microsoft Shares when nobody else knows what a Home PC is. And FCT, as any other coin, profits from a 500% bubble -even if it deflates later on- much more than if it stays in the lows for months. We can be happy that we had a strong one and look forward to the next one. It shows the interest of the market. There is no linear growth.

I disagree big time. 99% of speculators couldn't care less about Factom or any other coin and its features. All they care about is buy low and sell high, regardless of whether they disrupt the market, create FUD, distort prices or even scare away half of the holders. They just care about one thing and one thing alone, MAKE MORE BTC. Not Factom but BTC. This means they will intentionally stage pumps and dumps to serve their own interests. This pumps and dumps usually end with noobs and new entrants in Factom market losing a lot of money due to artificial volatility created by these speculators. Once these new entrants lose money, they leave Factom market and never come back.

So how is this artificial volatility good for Factom or any other coin? Pls explain it to me, maybe I have missed something along the way. If we take BTC as an example, any serious financial portfolio manager will advice serious investors to stay away from these volatile markets cause they can lose everything in a day. So, until BTC becomes more stable, it ll never be considered as serious asset by the Wall Street and City guys. Why would it be any different with Factom?

There s big difference between growth induced by innovations and overall progress and speculation induced growth.

This is why we concentrate on the protocol, and applications of the protocol.  There is nothing we can do about the price of the token anyway.  But we can deliver code.

I can't lie and say that the token price doesn't drive some interest to what we are doing though.   But the way Factom is designed, inflation kicks in if there is too much speculation, and deflation kicks in if the speculators drive the price too low.   Because the tokens are consumed by use of the protocol, the price over the long haul should be stabilized by applications using Factom.

Great, I fully agree with this. Can we have some tentative deadline for Milestone 2? Are we still on track for the end of the first quarter?
legendary
Hello, Guys,

Clear pumper and scammer. He posted the same text to several other forums, I presume only coins he s been holding to try to create fake pumps. This is what I mean when I say I hate speculators, they are SLIME of crypto. I advise BIG TIME CAUTION when dealing with these kind of people.
legendary
Is my math correct? Current price, btc .0050903 roughly $2.10 = 2100 EC. If servers were online 75k tokens per month would generate at this price $157 500.00 you'd need to have 157,500 000 entries to burn that amount.

Do you guys have use cases that require millions of EC's per month? just curious:)

When the Factom explorer went live on 09-01 there were about 8759965.42635400 factoids.  Now there are

So around 6700 burned in a little more than 6 months or about 1000 per month.  And not much is going on but testing.

Point being, I suspect we'll be seeing deflation before too long despite the 73,000 factoids being created per month.

ATM, there s no 73k Factoids created per month. Current inflation s 0. This inflation scenario will kick in the future to balance supply and demand.
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
Hello, Guys,

Is my math correct? Current price, btc .0050903 roughly $2.10 = 2100 EC. If servers were online 75k tokens per month would generate at this price $157 500.00 you'd need to have 157,500 000 entries to burn that amount.

Do you guys have use cases that require millions of EC's per month? just curious:)

When the Factom explorer went live on 09-01 there were about 8759965.42635400 factoids.  Now there are

So around 6700 burned in a little more than 6 months or about 1000 per month.  And not much is going on but testing.

Point being, I suspect we'll be seeing deflation before too long despite the 73,000 factoids being created per month.

I agree on the deflationary period. I do believe this is a great project.  EC'S are incredibly inexpensive. As a business model it gives Factom a great advantage. They will do well on fees to implement programs on top of factom.  The subscription fees for docusign, etc are very very expensive in comparison.

Unless there are industries, govt branches, etc that produce millions of entries per day, week per month the deflationary period could be years.

EDIT!! Below added.

How about this you have a very limited supply of servers, why not let the FCT holders purchase server space. Before they come online. Kind of like a server space ICO/IPO in this case ISS (initial server space lol).

It seems like to good of a deal for those who run servers to reap all the FCT amongst them.
Activity: 854

When the Factom explorer went live on 09-01 there were about 8759965.42635400 factoids.  Now there are

So around 6700 burned in a little more than 6 months or about 1000 per month.  And not much is going on but testing.

Activity: 74
Merit: 0
Hello, Guys,

Yes, exactly. This is why I hate Polo for letting bots artificially inflate coin prices. But I guess that s industry too, Polo makes money on trade fees so they greet speculators with open arms. The rest of us can follow the wave as I do or gather Factom like hamsters and wait for the next pump.

If you dont like speculation then perhaps you should not buy any asset - crypto or another - and check the price every day, but just buy it and go away for at least a year.

speculation is what thrives the market. A really good speculator has a much more sober view at the true value of an asset than the average joe and is immune to hype, Fud or Fomo. Those are the guys that invest in Apple or Microsoft Shares when nobody else knows what a Home PC is. And FCT, as any other coin, profits from a 500% bubble -even if it deflates later on- much more than if it stays in the lows for months. We can be happy that we had a strong one and look forward to the next one. It shows the interest of the market. There is no linear growth.

I disagree big time. 99% of speculators couldn't care less about Factom or any other coin and its features. All they care about is buy low and sell high, regardless of whether they disrupt the market, create FUD, distort prices or even scare away half of the holders. They just care about one thing and one thing alone, MAKE MORE BTC. Not Factom but BTC. This means they will intentionally stage pumps and dumps to serve their own interests. This pumps and dumps usually end with noobs and new entrants in Factom market losing a lot of money due to artificial volatility created by these speculators. Once these new entrants lose money, they leave Factom market and never come back.

So how is this artificial volatility good for Factom or any other coin? Pls explain it to me, maybe I have missed something along the way. If we take BTC as an example, any serious financial portfolio manager will advice serious investors to stay away from these volatile markets cause they can lose everything in a day. So, until BTC becomes more stable, it ll never be considered as serious asset by the Wall Street and City guys. Why would it be any different with Factom?

There s big difference between growth induced by innovations and overall progress and speculation induced growth.

This is why we concentrate on the protocol, and applications of the protocol.  There is nothing we can do about the price of the token anyway.  But we can deliver code.

I can't lie and say that the token price doesn't drive some interest to what we are doing though.   But the way Factom is designed, inflation kicks in if there is too much speculation, and deflation kicks in if the speculators drive the price too low.   Because the tokens are consumed by use of the protocol, the price over the long haul should be stabilized by applications using Factom.

Activity: 183

This is why we concentrate on the protocol, and applications of the protocol.  There is nothing we can do about the price of the token anyway.  But we can deliver code.

I can't lie and say that the token price doesn't drive some interest to what we are doing though.   But the way Factom is designed, inflation kicks in if there is too much speculation, and deflation kicks in if the speculators drive the price too low.   Because the tokens are consumed by use of the protocol, the price over the long haul should be stabilized by applications using Factom.
Activity: 183
Here is the World Bank paper and the presentation:

"IMMUTABILITY & AUDITABILITY: THE CRITICAL ELEMENTS IN PROPERTY RIGHTS REGISTRIES"...

Hey Brian, or Mr. Deery if you prefer Wink ,

Have you and the rest of the team looked into using Factom for proof of identity? That's become an issue, albeit a controversial one, in the U.S. this election season. It occurred to me that using an entry credit to enter a hash of a stable "proof of ID" would be a major service with "yuge" demand these days.

Identity was the use case I was working on that motivated me to design NotaryChains (which became Factom).   My original idea was to have Factom out of the door by January 2015.   Turns out to be way harder than I gave it credit for.   But we are making some really good progress.

Once we get the protocol stable, Identity is certainly an area we will be working on.  We need it for Factom, after all!

Paul Snow
legendary
Activity: 924
Here is the World Bank paper and the presentation:

"IMMUTABILITY & AUDITABILITY: THE CRITICAL ELEMENTS IN PROPERTY RIGHTS REGISTRIES"...

Hey Brian, or Mr. Deery if you prefer Wink ,

Have you and the rest of the team looked into using Factom for proof of identity? That's become an issue, albeit a controversial one, in the U.S. this election season. It occurred to me that using an entry credit to enter a hash of a stable "proof of ID" would be a major service with "yuge" demand these days.

Now, I know that this use is a little off-mission and would be tricky. For example, a hash of a scanned solid-plastic ID card (eg., driver's license) would be thrown off if there were even a teeny scratch on the card. A hash of biometric data like a fingerprint or retinal scan would be thrown off by a small deviation in angle and perspective. And so on.

But hashing, despite those feasibility obstacles, is a provable means to refute the objection to biometric IDing: namely, a government database with all the data just waiting to be 'borrowed'. A hash of (say) a fingerprint scan, retinal scan or DNA analysis would be undecodable, thus protecting privacy. Even if the entire database were 'browsed', the miscreant couldn't make any sense out of the hashes. Nor could any other bad actor.

Have you and the others given any thought to a para-E-Verify system as a proof of concept? Based upon my vague sampling of the political winds, there's a good shot that E-Verify will be made mandatory. And, if you remember the Obamacare-website fustercluck, I think you'll agree with me that the present database used by E-Verify is quite corrupted (in the sense of false data.) Factom having a ready-to-go proof-of-concept replacement system that's provably accurate may be a real fustercluck-stopping help.

Just my thoughts. If it doesn't fit, or if I'm thinking too ambitiously, please let me know. 
Jump to: