Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Introduction to DualMiner USB (could mine both BTC and LTC) - page 24. (Read 114584 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Looks like over 6gh/s to me.
EDIT: LOL over 6mh/s sorry Smiley
More to come

thats about 2 MH right?
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
So it's going to cost over $1000 to get 700Mh/s?

That's $98 x 10 plus a hub.......seems like a lot just to save power for a while.

Actually, you save on power forever...

That's true but I'm assuming that the shelf life of the asic is a year because there will be faster ones out by then.

The shelf life of these is much longer than a GPU and thats where there value comes from. The power/profit ratio of scrypt mining hasn't been a problem but once there are millions of scrypt asics in a few months, GPUs will be worthless like what happened to BTC. Even though the time to become profitable with these is much lower now than a GPU (about 130 vs 90 days), the shelf life is much longer because of the hashrate to power ratio:

Dualminer: 70khs / 1.5w = 46.67
R9 280x: 800khs / 350w = 2.29

The Dualminer is over 20 times more efficient, and as a result will have a much longer life. The only thing you need to worry about is the USB breaking, compared to GPUs that come with warranties and can be RMAed.

Speaking of which, why has not anyone capable of building boards from scratch, bought just good GPU chips and built custom miners, without all the clutter, cramed to much it to small a space issue with GPUs and heat nowadays.
Those GPU chips from AMD or ? not buyable ? Like only can be used by licensed shops or something ?
If they work so well why not cut em down and make em lean and mean, stead of hot and fat.
A company like this one could do it...

Because the companies still aren't that willing to dip in deep waters. ATI's vision isn't heading that way but just on the general compute, OpenCL environment. Only then it could be possible if we see general adoption iin 3rd world countries.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

That's $98 x 10 plus a hub.......seems like a lot just to save power for a while.

That's true but I'm assuming that the shelf life of the asic is a year because there will be faster ones out by then.

The shelf life of these is much longer than a GPU and thats where there value comes from. The power/profit ratio of scrypt mining hasn't been a problem but once there are millions of scrypt asics in a few months, GPUs will be worthless like what happened to BTC. Even though the time to become profitable with these is much lower now than a GPU (about 130 vs 90 days), the shelf life is much longer because of the hashrate to power ratio:

The Dualminer is over 20 times more efficient, and as a result will have a much longer life. The only thing you need to worry about is the USB breaking, compared to GPUs that come with warranties and can be RMAed.

Speaking of which, why has not anyone capable of building boards from scratch, bought just good GPU chips and built custom miners, without all the clutter, cramed to much it to small a space issue with GPUs and heat nowadays.
Those GPU chips from AMD or ? not buyable ? Like only can be used by licensed shops or something ?
If they work so well why not cut em down and make em lean and mean, stead of hot and fat.
A company like this one could do it...
Activity: 227
Are you considering making a stronger model, with own power supply, not USB?
Activity: 129
this is why i am confused some people are reporting them to die easy and some are saying there stable devices,cant make my mind up at all

I think those are more risky... Yes they can be used for much longer due to energy cost, "if" they don't wear out right after warranty's over.

Problem really is ASIC cannot be used for anything else.  At least with GPU (if you don't push TOO hard), they can still be used for gaming and resale.

The price those USB sticks cost could potentially be 4x as much than GPU (without looking at power cost, and 50% GPU salvage value reselling as gaming rig).
Activity: 129
I am almost tempted to say, if scrypt ASIC arms race is coming on the horizon, it is almost better to just take the money and buy coins straight out, if BTC was any indication.

just my 2 bitcoins.
this is why i am confused some people are reporting them to die easy and some are saying there stable devices,cant make my mind up at all
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
if i put dualminer in a reddit search there is alot of posts saying these things die in hours of usage, is this true?
or is it a trick for people not to purchase them?

I've had 20 sticks running since Tuesday without issue.
if i put dualminer in a reddit search there is alot of posts saying these things die in hours of usage, is this true?
or is it a trick for people not to purchase them?

why is no one here reporting they are dying easy ?
Sig
Activity: 9
Merit: 0

yeah, i absolutely get what you are saying I just think it just happens to be the first ASIC to the market and likely not nearly the most efficient. I'm a buyer at $50-60 a stick which puts it more so in line with the 5 chip solution and even at that I think something more efficient and not dual purposed will be out soon.

That being said i was going to buy one from dualminer.com to tinker with but it's $14 shipping on one stick.
Activity: 434
Merit: 105
I've received my batch! I set up 4 of them to test... i've been running into issues:

First Issue:
Steps:
1) Installed Software
1) Changed to LTC only
2) Entered pool information
3) Switched the dip switch to LTC (L or T)

Result:
No hash rate what-so-ever. LTC stats showed 0.000 mh/s, same with cgminer.

Solution:
set the param: --dualminer-pll 800

moving onto the second issue...

Second Issue:
Hardware Errors...
I let the USB miners run for aprox 2-3 hours with a fan on them to keep cool... I'm getting Hardware Errors! Does anybody know what this is about?

I have posted more information regarding the hardware errors here: http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1x9777/dualminer_usb_hardware_errors/

So I've got a few of these and I've noticed that every so often I'll get a comms error and then whichever dm thread that is gets disabled. I see you have some parameter insight, do you have any insight or have you seen this "Comms error"?
LDR
Activity: 119
Merit: 10

Sig

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Sig

Activity: 18
I have been happy with them.  The setup is much cleaner than the process to setup up my first 4 card mining rig.   I am running 11 on an old laptop and 10 port hub.  I am now mining Dogecoin on netcodepool. They have been operating at the hash rate stated.  It is so tempting to order more.  Setup is easy and they work as described so far.

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
I'm happy with mine so far.
It runs in LTC mode between 70 kh/s to 78 kh/s and very cool with so far no HW errors.
My only wish is that the BFG and MultiMiner support get here soon as I dislike the custom CGMiner software.

Quite a nice little unit I can't wait to get some more.

So whats the verdict on these miners?

Are you guys happy with them?
Are they arriving DOA, any issues to watch out for?

Activity: 2
So whats the verdict on these miners?

Are you guys happy with them?
Are they arriving DOA, any issues to watch out for?

Activity: 134
Is there any ETA on the Linux software?  Or has anyone come up with a way to run these from their Raspberry Pi?
Pages:
Jump to: