Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Joinmarket - Coinjoin that people will actually use - page 5. (Read 84864 times)

Activity: 261
Merit: 518
READ THIS - JoinMarket's privacy is degraded until further notice

https://gist.github.com/chris-belcher/00255ecfe1bc4984fcf7c65e25aa8b4b
IRC is the best place jerry508

irc.freenode.net:6667 #joinmarket
6dvj6v5imhny3anf.onion:6697 #joinmarket ssl-enabled
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Does anybody know how to fix an error with electrum where the plugins popup window shows a blank list?  Debug indicates its a problem with qt with a line of code referwncing griddisplay.

I think I've managed to get my setup working with the electrum plugin if i can get past this one last issue..

Activity: 5
Going to do beta testing on the electrum plugin.  Is the github repo the best place to start with latest version, etc?  Is there an irc contact who could help if i get stuck during installation?

How much donation wise might it take to fund the finalization of an electrum plugin for both sending and yield generating?  I really hope to see this approach succeed and be maintained.  I would guess theres many others who are not too eager to run a more complicated method beyond a plugin..

Thanks!
Activity: 469
Merit: 253
I just ran about $100 in bitcoin through the joinmarket tumbler script. I used all default settings. (No extra switches) When the script finished, i added up the coins the script sent back and have discovered that i only received 84% of my coins back. I expected to pay some fees and such. But 16%?Huh? I mean... people on the internet complain to the end of the earth about the 3% fees they pay to Helix and/or other well known tumbling services.

Did i do something wrong? Or is 16% in fees par for the course?

After carefully going through the logs, i have concluded that i did indeed pay 15% in fees. There were 20 transactions and each transaction cost me between .0003btc and .0016btc in fees. Since i only tumbled .15btc, i paid about .0225btc in fees. So, no glitches. Moral of the story is that you apparently shouldn't use the tumbler on small amounts. I feel like this should be stated in bold on the github wiki page. I know the software means well but it really just leaves a really bad first impression.

It would be very helpful if the script would try to calculate all of the fees up front. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do since i'm not exactly sure how the script works. But it seems like it might be possible. I'm just very hesitant to even touch the software again for fear of losing money. In my estimation, the tumbler script isn't worth touching unless you're tumbling .5 or .75 btc. Maybe i'm wrong.

Cross posting answer: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinmarket/comments/4q1ito/i_just_ran_my_coins_through_the_tumbler_and_all/d4psmzh
Activity: 3
I just ran about $100 in bitcoin through the joinmarket tumbler script. I used all default settings. (No extra switches) When the script finished, i added up the coins the script sent back and have discovered that i only received 84% of my coins back. I expected to pay some fees and such. But 16%?Huh? I mean... people on the internet complain to the end of the earth about the 3% fees they pay to Helix and/or other well known tumbling services.

After carefully going through the logs, i have concluded that i did indeed pay 15% in fees. There were 20 transactions and each transaction cost me between .0003btc and .0016btc in fees. Since i only tumbled .15btc, i paid about .0225btc in fees. So, no glitches. Moral of the story is that you apparently shouldn't use the tumbler on small amounts. I feel like this should be stated in bold on the github wiki page. I know the software means well but it really just leaves a really bad first impression.

It would be very helpful if the script would try to calculate all of the fees up front. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do since i'm not exactly sure how the script works. But it seems like it might be possible. I'm just very hesitant to even touch the software again for fear of losing money. In my estimation, the tumbler script isn't worth touching unless you're tumbling .5 or .75 btc. Maybe i'm wrong.

Activity: 10
Okay thanks it says

<Got invalid cjfee: from:Nickname

Okay I am confused, I used the standard yield-generator-basic.py file. I tried making the fees smaller because I thought that would solve problem.
Also why is it a Pvt msg?

And again thanks for the help.

Okay I had a close look at the yield.py file I had ' 0.00002' not '0.00002' so there was an extra space! Just in case any one else has a similar problem.
Its appearing on the oder book now.
number222222222222, try running a ob-watcher.py script on your own computer. As the orders arrive from your yield generator, there will be an error message saying what's wrong with your own offers.

BTW you can use a script called scrub-log.py which is found in the logs/ directory, it's a better way to remove private information from your logs.
Activity: 10
Okay I have installed conjoin. I got the tumbler to work. I am running the basic-yield generator. Can someone please tell me why my Nickname, the random generated one does not appear on the order page https://joinmarket.me/ob/?btcunit=satoshi&relunit=%25

This is really driving me nuts, it says its running but I never appear on the order board?

python yield-generator-basic.py wallet.json
2016-06-25 17:16:18,915 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  hello joinmarket
Generated random nickname: Nickname
Enter wallet decryption passphrase:
2016-06-25 17:16:28,691 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  requesting wallet history
2016-06-25 17:16:28,896 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  rpc: getaddressesbyaccount ['joinmarket-wallet-69032d']
2016-06-25 17:16:28,898 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  rpc: listtransactions ['joinmarket-wallet-69032d', 1000, 0, True]
2016-06-25 17:16:29,112 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  rpc: listunspent []
2016-06-25 17:16:29,113 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  bitcoind sync_unspent took 0.00168013572693sec
2016-06-25 17:16:29,113 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  starting yield generator
2016-06-25 17:16:29,114 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  get_utxos_by_mixdepth =
{0: {},
 1: {u'': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 942906},
     u':3': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 1279559},
     u':1': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 1299660},
     u':4': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 2479570},
     u':8': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 760543}},
 2: {u'0:4': {'address': u'',
                                                                             'value': 2881651}},
 3: {},
 4: {}}
2016-06-25 17:16:29,115 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  connecting to irc
2016-06-25 17:16:29,116 [PingThread  ] [DEBUG]  starting ping thread
2016-06-25 17:16:29,116 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  connecting
2016-06-25 17:16:29,117 [ThrottleThre] [DEBUG]  starting throttle thread
2016-06-25 17:16:31,995 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  Connected to IRC and joined channel
2016-06-25 17:16:44,420 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:17:08,168 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:17:52,093 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:18:19,579 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:20:58,181 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:20:59,379 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:21:02,370 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:21:02,376 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:21:02,557 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:21:02,558 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:21:02,558 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:22:24,129 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:23:47,777 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:24:59,527 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,070 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,304 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,313 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,313 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,489 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,490 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <2016-06-25 17:39:55,490 [MainThread  ] [DEBUG]  <
I have edited the addresses and nickname, am I doing something wrong?
Activity: 278
Merit: 251
ABISprotocol on Gist
In the spirit of "Coinjoin that people will actually use", I'm wondering if any of the regular bitcoin wallets have integrated joinmarket, or have announced any plans to do so?

Along these lines...

Is there a joinmarket API that would make it straightforward for a wallet to integrate?

Has any effort been made to approach wallet makers?

If not, perhaps we should open issues requesting joinmarket support on their respective github pages.

IMO joinmarket is at too early of a stage for this, there are still a few problems that would be nice to fix before anything happens.
Right now it seems most of the adoption comes from people using the tumbler script.

First, for danda, it's worth noting that this has been very extensively investigated/discussed for more than a year. Also worth noting is that, to the surprise of no one, when Joinmarket was first widely announced in public, the most common response was "please make this appear in my wallet, or at least in some wallet". Again, I emphasize: to the surprise of no one, we know that that's what people prefer.

Second, w.r.t belcher's "too early a stage": it's difficult to make a general statement. It's true that there are aspects of how joinmarket works that can make it awkward to integrate it into a wallet; things like, HD structure (mixdepths, see below), approach to E2E encryption of messages, code language, packaging etc. But I don't think there's some fundamental problem making it impossible, especially if you restrict the scope, and especially if the wallet code has its own model for integration.

Which brings me to:

For those reading who are interested in such things (wallet integrations), let me point you at: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinmarket/comments/4m1b7r/requesting_linux_testers_for_an_experimental/ which links to an Electrum plugin for testing. Install is multi-step (but not complex) for reasons described in the post, but if anyone here's willing to give it a test would appreciate it. It allows the creation of coinjoins (sendpayments) directly from your Electrum wallet (only "Standard" type).

I've gotten only 1 person so far after more than a week who even installed it, which is disappointing after *so* many requests in the early days to do an Electrum plugin.

Electrum accounts within a standard BIP32 HD wallet are exactly like Joinmarket mixdepths, so a natural extension to that plugin (which for now just does sendpayment) is to implement that, and eventually I'd hope, something like tumbler could be programmed (mixdepths->accounts). Obviating the need for any separate wallet management for *users* of Joinmarket (takers). Providers, i.e. makers, should be using Core and joinmarket's own wallet and script set up probably (although there is the dream of passively acting as maker from your own wallet, maybe that's possible too).

So... I just heard about this (the electrum joinmarket plugin to help people do the CoinJoin (JoinMarket) more easily):

https://github.com/AdamISZ/electrum-joinmarket-plugin

Thank you, and I'm going to try this very soon (within the next few days).

I've also just posted it to my diaspora:  https://diasp.org/posts/5743008

-ABISprotocol

Activity: 223
Merit: 130
Quick question: Was the IRC server down or have trouble yesterday? If so, what happened?

I had my first experience with JoinMarket yesterday morning. I decided to tumble some coins using the tumbler.py script. I started it and went to bed. When i woke up, the script was just trying to reconnect to the IRC server over and over getting a connection timed out error 110. I tried a lot of stuff but nothing worked. I could connect to the IRC server manually with HexChat but none of the scripts would. I checked again this morning and it's back up and running. I'm just curious what happened. I joined the #JoinMarket channel on FreeNode and saw 3 or 4 other people ask if the server was down but no one responded.

Thanks!

The IRC pit was down for 8 hours or so yesterday.  Seems to be back up and working now.

There are some solutions being work on, such as this PR.

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
dserrano:

Thanks, here's the list of instructions, I guess you followed these? Which OS? If you did, did all the steps seem to work correctly?

Thanks for your help on IRC. For the record, I just created a new wallet in electrum (new window) and the joinmarket tab was visible there. Tx 2fb75d6714c81e1f133cbc458bd149aa9cf655002b9438ff9f6ea0d379f26db1 was done with this plugin. Yay!
Quick question: Was the IRC server down or have trouble yesterday? If so, what happened?

I had my first experience with JoinMarket yesterday morning. I decided to tumble some coins using the tumbler.py script. I started it and went to bed. When i woke up, the script was just trying to reconnect to the IRC server over and over getting a connection timed out error 110. I tried a lot of stuff but nothing worked. I could connect to the IRC server manually with HexChat but none of the scripts would. I checked again this morning and it's back up and running. I'm just curious what happened. I joined the #JoinMarket channel on FreeNode and saw 3 or 4 other people ask if the server was down but no one responded.

Thanks!
dserrano:

Thanks, here's the list of instructions, I guess you followed these? Which OS? If you did, did all the steps seem to work correctly?

legendary
Go to Tools->Plugins, if Joinmarket isn't there it hasn't installed properly, if it is, check the checkbox and it should create a Joinmarket tab.

Yes, that was already done but no tab. I just restarted electrum just in case and still no tab. Python is not my native language but I can easily tinker with it. Any file/function that is worthwhile to take a look or insert debug stmts into?

Thanks for giving support Smiley
and then, just make any payment?

Hmm, there must be something else. In the preferences I ticked "View transaction before signing" and it's a regular tx, no CJ apparently involved. I can't tell whether the plugin was loaded or not.

Go to Tools->Plugins, if Joinmarket isn't there it hasn't installed properly, if it is, check the checkbox and it should create a Joinmarket tab.

Thanks for taking a look!
legendary
and then, just make any payment?

Hmm, there must be something else. In the preferences I ticked "View transaction before signing" and it's a regular tx, no CJ apparently involved. I can't tell whether the plugin was loaded or not.
legendary
For those reading who are interested in such things (wallet integrations), let me point you at: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinmarket/comments/4m1b7r/requesting_linux_testers_for_an_experimental/ which links to an Electrum plugin for testing. Install is multi-step (but not complex) for reasons described in the post, but if anyone here's willing to give it a test would appreciate it. It allows the creation of coinjoins (sendpayments) directly from your Electrum wallet (only "Standard" type).

I've gotten only 1 person so far after more than a week who even installed it, which is disappointing after *so* many requests in the early days to do an Electrum plugin.

I keep a tab in my browser for this thread and refresh it from time to time. I just read this.

The installation is easy. I applied the patch with vim instead of patch Smiley, there was some offset (line 1194 instead of 1212). Now I guess I should fund any of the addresses that was written to stdout upon electrum startup and then, just make any payment? (I'll play with it nevertheless later today but I thought I could post anything to show interest, and then I thought I could put a dumb question at the end Smiley).
In the spirit of "Coinjoin that people will actually use", I'm wondering if any of the regular bitcoin wallets have integrated joinmarket, or have announced any plans to do so?

Along these lines...

Is there a joinmarket API that would make it straightforward for a wallet to integrate?

Has any effort been made to approach wallet makers?

If not, perhaps we should open issues requesting joinmarket support on their respective github pages.

IMO joinmarket is at too early of a stage for this, there are still a few problems that would be nice to fix before anything happens.
Right now it seems most of the adoption comes from people using the tumbler script.

First, for danda, it's worth noting that this has been very extensively investigated/discussed for more than a year. Also worth noting is that, to the surprise of no one, when Joinmarket was first widely announced in public, the most common response was "please make this appear in my wallet, or at least in some wallet". Again, I emphasize: to the surprise of no one, we know that that's what people prefer.

Second, w.r.t belcher's "too early a stage": it's difficult to make a general statement. It's true that there are aspects of how joinmarket works that can make it awkward to integrate it into a wallet; things like, HD structure (mixdepths, see below), approach to E2E encryption of messages, code language, packaging etc. But I don't think there's some fundamental problem making it impossible, especially if you restrict the scope, and especially if the wallet code has its own model for integration.

Which brings me to:

Electrum accounts within a standard BIP32 HD wallet are exactly like Joinmarket mixdepths, so a natural extension to that plugin (which for now just does sendpayment) is to implement that, and eventually I'd hope, something like tumbler could be programmed (mixdepths->accounts). Obviating the need for any separate wallet management for *users* of Joinmarket (takers). Providers, i.e. makers, should be using Core and joinmarket's own wallet and script set up probably (although there is the dream of passively acting as maker from your own wallet, maybe that's possible too).
Pages:
Jump to: