Author

Topic: [ANN] Litecoin - a lite version of Bitcoin. Launched! - page 415. (Read 1466285 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
I think a time based difficulty change (every 24 hours), combined with blocks found / per hour, is a must have.
One lesson learnt from the original i0coin, time based difficulty changes are a disaster. Multiple nodes disagreeing on the time resulting in block chain forks.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
That is lightning fast!

An Abe block explorer for Litecoin testnet:

http://misterx.tk:2750/

maybe I will add main chain when Litecoin launches.
mrx
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
An Abe block explorer for Litecoin testnet:

http://misterx.tk:2750/ new things incubating

maybe I will add main chain when Litecoin launches.

--

cannot get the daemon working currently....

--

working again now. the whole network was just down? I couldn't get my miner working and no new blocks too.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002
Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na
I think a time based difficulty change (every 24 hours), combined with blocks found / per hour, is a must have.

You can still run up to the situation where you have to wait weeks before difficulty drops.
I think we can use the same minerd from tenebrix to mine Litecoin.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross
Here's a windows client I built just now:
   https://github.com/downloads/coblee/litecoin/litecoin-windows-client-10-09-2011.zip

Unfortunately, I'm not a windows guy. I built this on a WinXP running in a virtual machine. And I tried my best to include the necessary dlls and such. It works for me, but let me know if you have trouble.

Do people need a download that has the miner also?

Just to make sure I understand, this download includes a miner within the GUI app?
If so, then that's good enough for me, I don't need a standalone command line miner.

If no, then yes, miner please.

If you put "gen=1" in your litecoin.conf file, it will mine for you.

We will see statistics like hashrate, or any other confirmation that it's mining? This output from Tenebrix is very useful:

[2011-10-08 12:11:24] thread 2: 7554 hashes, 1.54 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:27] thread 0: 7518 hashes, 1.53 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:28] thread 1: 7373 hashes, 1.51 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:28] thread 3: 7390 hashes, 1.51 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:29] thread 2: 7554 hashes, 1.48 khash/sec

In second thought, I might prefer a similar cmd-line miner.
donator
Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
   https://github.com/downloads/coblee/litecoin/litecoin-windows-client-10-09-2011.zip

Unfortunately, I'm not a windows guy. I built this on a WinXP running in a virtual machine. And I tried my best to include the necessary dlls and such. It works for me, but let me know if you have trouble.

Just to make sure I understand, this download includes a miner within the GUI app?
If so, then that's good enough for me, I don't need a standalone command line miner.

If you put "gen=1" in your litecoin.conf file, it will mine for you.
legendary
Ron Gross

donator
If anyone wants some free testnet litecoins to play around with, post your address. I need to go now, so I will send out the coins later.

FYI, testnet addresses (like Bitcoin) start with m or n like mmhPCN9hi71wHw5aJmJCogA11HZ84U7c89
For the actual release, Litecoin addresses will start with an L.
donator

donator
Yeap, just curious, will anyone be supporting the development of Fairbrix or you will be doing the development of Litecoin + Fairbrix?

A somewhat boring and formalistic question, but does Litecoin "sorta-officially" supersede Fairbrix (in the sense of, would efforts still be spared to organize infrastructure for fairbrix, or would said efforts be completely redirected to the benefit of Litecoin)?

I will give support to Fairbrix as long as there is still interest in Fairbrix. I purposely tried not to position this as a replacement to Fairbrix because I wanted to give Fairbrix a fair chance. But if all Fairbrix miners switch over to Litecoin, then there will be no reason for supporting Fairbrix anymore. I guess we'll see.
donator
@Coblee

Ignore the idiots, they will ask questions they know the answer to just to hijack thread and bloat it with BS. Litecoin sounds like a plan.

I am working on some exchanges.

Thanks BitcoinEXpress. Let me know how I can help.
legendary
Ron Gross
I like.

This is the best alternative coin so far except perhaps Namecoin.

I don't know if being GPU hostile is a good thing or not. Let's find out together.
I'll be putting 3 cores on this.

Fixed number of coins --> good thing, more predictably.
No premine, a well organized and fair release process --> +100 for this.

Can't wait.
Activity: 330
Merit: 397
Why do all these coins have to be called by a name whose sole function is to show a feature that they have that the original does not? Are we really going to be using Solidcoin, Litecoin, Speediercoin, Freecoin, or whatever other name people come up with in 20 years, and what are people supposed to think of the name? The only thing I know of with a reactionary name that has ever had any success is openoffice.org. All the other "hip alternatives" - Firefox, Linux, Android, etc. have names that stand on their own to someone who has never heard of the original, and that's what I like about Tenebrix (and GeistGeld).
Yeap, just curious, will anyone be supporting the development of Fairbrix or you will be doing the development of Litecoin + Fairbrix?
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious
A somewhat boring and formalistic question, but does Litecoin "sorta-officially" supersede Fairbrix (in the sense of, would efforts still be spared to organize infrastructure for fairbrix, or would said efforts be completely redirected to the benefit of Litecoin)?
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
1. Fork Project
2. Mine at start
3. Sell
4. Profit
5. Repeat

If you want your currency to succeed, you should add some innovative things, otherwise it will be just another one of these quick mine&dump currencies, then price/diff falls until the exchanges drop it...
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
So you didn't get in early enough on bitcoin? what is the point of this? At least some of the other currencies tried to do something different.

With a little hope, a little prayer, and a lot of hype due to our innovative release,

faster transactions and scrypt is innovative?

lemme hit you with a big ol book called a dictionary:

innovative [ˈɪnəˌveɪtɪv]
adj
 using or showing new methods, ideas, etc.
Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
Awesome! I'll give this a shot, it looks like the best alternative so far!
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
PERFECT!  This looks like the CPU mining alternative to tenebrix I've been waiting for.  Will definitely support this chain with about 40khash out of the gate, likely far more later.

Gimme!

Jump to: