Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 131. (Read 1369778 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Blockchain Developer
So the fork will be at about 85,000 blocks from now?

I am coding in the fork as we speak. I have set it for:
Code:
static const unsigned int FORK_TIME = 1438444800; // Sat, 01 Aug 2015 16:00:00 GMT

This is a time and date when I will be available to provide some QR code if needed (quick response Tongue )

Watch https://github.com/presstab/Mintcoin-Desktop-Wallet/commits/master today if you want to watch the fork commits. It will be merged with the main mintcoin repo after proper scrutiny.

I would suggest that if coding in a fork to also bump the protocol number and reject old clients once the fork is in effect. Even if the fork is set a month in advance, there are many that would not upgrade and will just use their old client and this can lead to chain conflicts, stuck blocks. If you reject old protocols then they will not be able to sync with the rest of the network, this is fine because if someone cannot sync, they will come here anyways and ask why, realize they need to be on the latest version and upgrade and back up to speed. If you do not reject old clients then they may be able to sync, it won't be apparent they need to upgrade and won't so it's best not to allow that to happen.

You can add it to the main.cpp file and Block old clients based on time and protocol number, this is an example from PayCon.

if (nTime > 1430124800 && pfrom->nVersion < 70122)
        {
            // Since February 20, 2012, the protocol is initiated at version 209,
            // and earlier versions are no longer supported
            printf("partner %s using obsolete version %i; disconnecting\n", pfrom->addr.ToString().c_str(), pfrom->nVersion);
            pfrom->fDisconnect = true;
            return false;
        }

I agree with this completely.  People don't always pay attention to wallet releases and if the wallet appears to be working normally they just let it go.  This will let them know that they need to upgrade.

Don't worry this is all already covered in the fork commit.
legendary
Blockchain Developer

Code:
static const unsigned int FORK_TIME = 1438444800; // Sat, 01 Aug 2015 16:00:00 GMT

This is a time and date when I will be available to provide some QR code if needed (quick response Tongue )

Watch https://github.com/presstab/Mintcoin-Desktop-Wallet/commits/master today if you want to watch the fork commits. It will be merged with the main mintcoin repo after proper scrutiny.

Does it happen according to a specific date or a specific block? Im a little confused.

Specific block. Estimated date.

It's a specific epoch/Unix time. Please don't give out details if you aren't quite sure, this will help avoid confusion with the fork.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0

Code:

I would suggest that if coding in a fork to also bump the protocol number and reject old clients once the fork is in effect. Even if the fork is set a month in advance, there are many that would not upgrade and will just use their old client and this can lead to chain conflicts, stuck blocks. If you reject old protocols then they will not be able to sync with the rest of the network, this is fine because if someone cannot sync, they will come here anyways and ask why, realize they need to be on the latest version and upgrade and back up to speed. If you do not reject old clients then they may be able to sync, it won't be apparent they need to upgrade and won't so it's best not to allow that to happen.

You can add it to the main.cpp file and Block old clients based on time and protocol number, this is an example from PayCon.

{
            printf("partner %s using obsolete version %i; disconnecting\n", pfrom->addr.ToString().c_str(), pfrom->nVersion);
            return false;
        }

I agree with this completely.  People don't always pay attention to wallet releases and if the wallet appears to be working normally they just let it go.  This will let them know that they need to upgrade.
Activity: 4
Kind of off topic but I'm an owner of mintcoin and a developer so I thought I'd try to go through the code. I've downloaded the code and I was going to build it but I wonder what the recommended IDE is.  Are you guys use QT-Creator?  That's what robo guy said he was using.  I'm mostly a windows guy.  Is it possible to successfully build the mintcoin wallet in windows or is that not recommended?  Thanks is advance.

I code on Mint! The Debian version, a linux distro, using qtCreator and sublime. It can be done on windows using minGW but its an involved process which makes you think like a linux user. At that point just become one with virtualbox and any free distro.

Sticking with windows I saw a thread that may be helpful in trying it.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/building-headless-bitcoin-and-bitcoin-qt-on-windows-149479

I am working on a guide for a partner getting into crypto and linux. Might just post that when its done.
Activity: 4

Code:

Does it happen according to a specific date or a specific block? Im a little confused.

Specific block. Estimated date.
Activity: 356
Merit: 250

Code:

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

Code:

{
            return false;
        }
legendary
Blockchain Developer

Code:

Activity: 425
So basically it will just be 5% gain per year forever. Cool. I actually think that is better because it will always motivate people to keep minting. Like a goid savings bond not too low, but not too high. BTW, Mintcoin just hit a new all time high.  80 sats! ^ ^

Indeed RoboGuy pointed this out to me when he first started and we agreed to leave it - this will make up for the coins "lost" for whatever reason. Mintpal.com (no relations to Mintcoin) was holding a significant amount of coins when they went under. We have no idea if those coins were lost of cashed out.
Cool beans was referring to suprasonics statistics coding, not presstab timedrift coding.

Dope! Gotcha

The statistics coding is something I have been trying to figure out for awhile now - If this does not interfere with the wallet itself I would love to test it out (especially if we can swap if need be back without a hard fork)
I think 15/30 should work well. How much longer do you guys want to delay this? I have already started coding it in, but can hold off any final commits until there is a clear consesus about the hashdrift, interval, and fork time.

Please continue with 15/30 listening to the community this seems to be the most agreed upon. Once this is completed SupaSonic will implement the GUI modifications while I contact the exchanges with the raw wallet (only modification including the fork)

For the time please allow 30 days - this should give me plenty of time to work with the exchanges - they usually take 15 days or so to complete upgrades. I can also let them know when the expected fork will happen.

RoboGuy stuck in a network alert a few upgrades ago - please make sure to update the message to alert everyone when they open the wallet to upgrade to the newest version to help us get out the message.

Sounds good. I guess the higher the price goes the more secure it is too, by making it harder more consequential to attack, so that's a good thing.
Is this code already implemented in other coins?

If yes, which?

PressTab has implemented this code in his own personal project HyperStake - another great coin making headway
Cool beans was referring to suprasonics statistics coding, not presstab timedrift coding.
I think 15/30 should work well. How much longer do you guys want to delay this? I have already started coding it in, but can hold off any final commits until there is a clear consesus about the hashdrift, interval, and fork time.

Please continue with 15/30 listening to the community this seems to be the most agreed upon. Once this is completed SupaSonic will implement the GUI modifications while I contact the exchanges with the raw wallet (only modification including the fork)

For the time please allow 30 days - this should give me plenty of time to work with the exchanges - they usually take 15 days or so to complete upgrades. I can also let them know when the expected fork will happen.

RoboGuy stuck in a network alert a few upgrades ago - please make sure to update the message to alert everyone when they open the wallet to upgrade to the newest version to help us get out the message.

If yes, which?

PressTab has implemented this code in his own personal project HyperStake - another great coin making headway
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1010

If yes, which?
legendary
Blockchain Developer

Keep in mind that the code adjusts each nodes time. So you could be over 30 seconds out of time but still be issuing the correct timestamps to the network when you stake.

Yeah. This is why I'm not too worried about it. I mean occasionally there may be a leap second, (not sure if that would affect it). I think there was one a few days ago actually to get universal standard time back in being correct with the suns alignment.

The underlying security flaw really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not nodes are correctly in sync. The conversation about whats the correct time drift to use is more about security update than it is about having the perfect balance of time.

Before selling all my Mintcoin before they go on to reach 200 Sat or whatever I did think that someone should demonstrate this attack before hard forking and changing the fast confirming parameters of Mintcoin.  But regardless let's look at strategy first in terms of how Mintcoin co-exists with other cryptos. Let's say Bitcoin is your 'Reserve Crypto' which is a standard bearer for cryptos as a usable and practical currency alternative in a 21st century environment. The scheme I proposed for http://poisonedchalice.io for instance, supposes that a stable currency with a 4 billion dollar market cap is mature enough to leverage for some fixed term investment over a four year period. You want Bitcoin to be relatively stable as the lynchpin to this kind of financial product (stable after a 2015 Q4 correction, that is).

Mintcoin on the other hand, can adopt a slower confirmation time, IF it is leaning more towards the investment side of things, and less towards the Point of Sale transactions/merchant space. This space is better filled by something like Zetacoin or Quark, which are superior alternatives to Bitcoin in this instance, held back only by a lack of productive community output and shallow trading volumes at this stage. But these are not POS coins, maybe you want to stick a percentage of savings into a POS coin and security becomes much more important.  So if an answer to timedrift is to increase the confirmation time, that means you are making a trade off where Mintcoin becomes more secure at the loss of 30, 60, 90 seconds on average (or whatever it is) each time you shift it around. I think that's a trade off most community members would be happy to make.  Personally I have just got 4 BTC out of Mintcoin, but, that's after buying and holding over the space of a year or so (I'll buy back under 29 Sat and before another rate drop) so as you can see fast confirmation times haven't really been all that important so far.

I agree on that note - one thing we should not alter is the speed of Mintcoin - Its flipping amazing and extremely helpful whether sending / receiving to exchanges or a friend. We need the speed.

Have you or any of the community ever put any though into reducing the target block time? Current looks like 30 seconds. My concern would be long term syncability of the chain. It isn't too easy to sync it at the current 1.5 million blocks, and a few years from now it will be even harder. Raising the block time could be a beneficial long term change to throw in while a hard fork occurs.
This sounds very sensible to me with the understanding that our block chain is going to continue to grow - questions?

• is it any less secure and why / why not?
    will this affect the speed of the coin in transactions (including confirmations)
  • Does it require a hard fork

I would say that mints biggest security risk is the 2 hour time drift allowance. Read about the vulnerability here http://bitcoinist.net/interview-presstab-pos-vulnerabilities/
The goal is to have as little vulnerability to timedrift as possible, while not compromising the ability to stake. Blackcoin and all of its derivatives are using 16 second timedrift now. I am using 60 second for HyperStake. But would think something along the lines of 3 minutes would work well for MINT.

PressTab - Can you give us three recommended timedrift parameters from high to low and explain how the timedrift will affect the coins speed / confirmation time on the exchanges / security benefits

I would like to have these decisions finalized by the end of the day so PressTab can begin phase 1 of the wallet.
30 block time translates to 30 second confirmations. As far as I know, we are all in consensus we are not going to change that.
What we were talking about earlier is increasing how many confirmations are required as the network standard. 4 which mintcoin currently us at is very low (low security). An attacker, would only need to control the network for 2 minutes in order to 51% attack it.  Increasing the # of confirmations to 40 would be exponentially more secure.
Activity: 23
Kind of off topic but I'm an owner of mintcoin and a developer so I thought I'd try to go through the code. I've downloaded the code and I was going to build it but I wonder what the recommended IDE is.  Are you guys use QT-Creator?  That's what robo guy said he was using.  I'm mostly a windows guy.  Is it possible to successfully build the mintcoin wallet in windows or is that not recommended?  Thanks is advance.

Keep in mind that the code adjusts each nodes time. So you could be over 30 seconds out of time but still be issuing the correct timestamps to the network when you stake.

Yeah. This is why I'm not too worried about it. I mean occasionally there may be a leap second, (not sure if that would affect it). I think there was one a few days ago actually to get universal standard time back in being correct with the suns alignment.
Jump to: