Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] MON | Monocle | Merge Mined on VTC Vertcoin - No Premine - Scrypt-N - page 7. (Read 145934 times)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Well, I'm not going anywhere... I still believe in the VTC / MON community.  Smiley I'm not sure that many understand (other than us) how fast the block rewards are going down for this coin though and that it's going to be very rare in the future. It's not a BTC clone in regards to distribution at all.

I just wish the VTC community would see the potential in this coin. It's just a matter of perception and that's why it would be great if the devs could highlight MON as something else than a testcoin for new VTC features. It's much more than that, it's "Vertcoin Limited"... at least in my eyes.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Very sad to read this thread, MON for months didn't even reach another exchange. I'll consider my MONs as souvenir.
yep its dead, sent my MONs to twitte winner. move along

I would say dormant rather than dead. It should spring back to live when the devs start the Monocle test-net phase for Lyra2 sometime in November. We shall see.

And what we'll see? Small pump during Lyra hype? Do you remember shitty VTC pump when stealth addresses was released? Without even tiny buy support. Bitcoin clones failed. Period.
Activity: 496
Merit: 250
Ceck me in livestream twith
Very sad to read this thread, MON for months didn't even reach another exchange. I'll consider my MONs as souvenir.

I would say dormant rather than dead. It should spring back to live when the devs start the Monocle test-net phase for Lyra2 sometime in November. We shall see.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!
Activity: 38

Like MOST people I know very little about vm or linux. Altcoins started with techies but a lot of us late arrivers are not interested in mechanics...

errrr right...

i would say: like MOST people, you dont even understand windows enough to install a virtualbox or any other vm. Linux these days are one-click installations mostly like windows.

What i don't get is that people show resistance on learning new things. They only learn enough to move a mouse over a screen and thats it.
Activity: 252
Merit: 102
OPEN Platform - Powering Blockchain Acceptance
How many times do you have to be told the same thing? Did you even bother to Google the supposed trojan for details?

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-052320-0051-99

"Designed to detect entirely new threats..."

Look how many times your Norton report says "unknown".

Norton doesn't know what Monocle is,  so it assumes virus. Your question has been answered, you need to accept the answer, make a decision and move on.
Would someone make Monocle rich list?

it is important to know how coins are distributed  Wink

I would like to know that too.  There are more Monocle accumulation activities at Polo even though the buyers try to keep it low profile (smart fellows!). Still, it is getting bigger in quantities.  I suppose this is because we are getting nearer to Lyra2 official completion dates.  The devs have just announced good progress with Lyra2 development.  
Someone clued me into Monocle and I was going to load up but when I tried to download the wallet Norton antivirus said it was infected and sent it to quarantine. I would like to buy some monocle but is there a clean wallet available? I'm not interested in "false positive" explanations. Is there a wallet that does not trip my antivirus?

I am using the latest version of Norton and Monocle wallet. There is no trip for all the versions of Monocle wallets that I have.  Are you downloading from the right site?
What type of alert is Norton showing? If you read the alert details you'll probably find it's flagging the wallet because there are no known details as there are not enough users of Norton who have the wallet software installed.

Norton isn't telling you the wallet software is a known virus,  it's telling you that it doesn't know what the software is so it wants you to err on the side of caution. That's why people call it a false positive. In reality, it isn't a false positive it's just Norton shrugging its shoulders.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
I'm not going to push this issue but two questions then I drop it.

1) Why does this wallet alert on Norton antivirus but no other wallets do?

2) Why would a person with limited knowledge of coins use a coin whose wallet is tainted according to one of the biggest antivirus companies in the world.

I imagine the response will be 'then move to another coin with a clean wallet', and so I will.

1) That's a good point. And while there are lots of other wallets and miners that trigger virus alerts (it's almost always the miner, because wallets come with built in miner), you're correct that it doesn't happen for legitimate major coins (even for vertcoin, monocle's "parent"). I guess the reason is maybe just because Monocle is a test coin, for experimenting with new features for vert, so maybe the developers just weren't worried about making it user friendly. I'm really not sure, tbh.

2) Because all antivirii programs are equally bullshit/garbage? I dunno. From what I understand, Windows Defender (free and built in to win7 and 8 ) is the best or at least equally as good as norton or whatever they call mcaffee now.
legendary
Someone clued me into Monocle and I was going to load up but when I tried to download the wallet Norton antivirus said it was infected and sent it to quarantine. I would like to buy some monocle but is there a clean wallet available? I'm not interested in "false positive" explanations. Is there a wallet that does not trip my antivirus?

If you're really that paranoid why not just run it in a VM? No stupid virus false positives in linux, and then you have it confined to virtual machine anyway.

Like MOST people I know very little about vm or linux. Altcoins started with techies but a lot of us late arrivers are not interested in mechanics. If a wallet is hot on Norton antivirus most people, including virtually all new folks, will not use it. You can call me paranoid or whatever you want. As long as your wallet trips Norton, people will not buy it.

Paper wallet someone else suggested might be a good idea. A lot of good coins with working wallets. I bought a small amount of monocle at an exchange and will look at the wallet options.

If you downloaded the release directly from the developer's github account, then what you're saying is that you think the vertcoin developers are intentionally passing you a virus. Why would you buy a coin that you think the devs are trying to give you a virus with? 

Virtualbox is free software that's quite easy to use. If you can use a wallet, you can load a vm. You don't even need to load a linux vm, you could just as easily run it in a windows vm.

If you only bought a few coins (which are probably worth less than a dollar or ten), it's probably not a big deal to just hold them on the exchange, also. That would be the easiest course of action, certainly, and it's not like it's a huge risk you're taking.
Generate a paper wallet.
Activity: 32

I have been using the Monocle wallet since launch on multiple computers and I haven't had any trouble with it. It would be preferable that the wallet wouldn't trip any false positives but I wouldn't let that stop me from installing it. I haven't heard of any problems with this wallet regarding safety.

Just stock up on those MONs while you can at this price! At least that's what I do!  Grin
legendary

If you're really that paranoid why not just run it in a VM? No stupid virus false positives in linux, and then you have it confined to virtual machine anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Would someone make Monocle rich list?

it is important to know how coins are distributed  Wink
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I'm currently accumulating another few thousand MON, and a few hundred VTC too. While the prices are disappointing, I not only have confidence in the coins but I have an affinity with them that I just can't shake!

When is the release date for Lyra2? I assume all coins in cold storage will be unaffected?

Target release for Lyra2 is Nov 2014 but dev said it could be earlier.  All existing coins not affected.  Lyra2 is a big project for the dev team.  We shall see.  The accumulation seems to be picking up speed.
Pages:
Jump to: