Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] NDL - The coin for Pastafarians - Flying Spaghetti Monster Cryptocurrency! - page 4. (Read 125150 times)

Activity: 745
Merit: 26
by the way this is doable even though there are multiple coin code branches over the years doing slightly different things in the tx raw block because....
i also use the decoded pretty format too! it gives all the clues you need to find what you need.
basically the pretty formatted version is a guidebook to the raw version.
although i have yet to work on a segwit blockchain... that put stuff in the raw tx block.

ps: did you ever notice some coins only gave 6 decimal place coin values?
   well, they actually only put in 6place satoshi (deci-satoshi?) values in the raw data!
   and here i used to think it was just some quirky idea of pretty displaying values. now i have to wonder the real
   reason? a way to fit a couple more transactions in? a way to deal with extremely large satoshi integer values
   nearing 20 digits trying to avoid hitting intel/x86 hardware limitations? *shrug*

so i went gonzo and started to decode totally raw tx blocks.

It has come up in discussions of what makes a crypto rare. From memory, there are cryptos whose number of decimals range from just a couple to well over 8
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
explorer is down
Back up.
Should be finished syncing in a few minutes.
-Dave
Activity: 1545
Merit: 23
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
   well, they actually only put in 6place satoshi (deci-satoshi?) values in the raw data!
   and here i used to think it was just some quirky idea of pretty displaying values. now i have to wonder the real
   reason? a way to fit a couple more transactions in? a way to deal with extremely large satoshi integer values
   nearing 20 digits trying to avoid hitting intel/x86 hardware limitations? *shrug*

That or just poor programming for some reason, and since everyone just clones everyone's code from git people just ran with what they had.
Like you I did not notice iquidus had posted updates. Going to have to load them and see what happens.
That's just joy of running all of this on VMs. Quick restores to just before you broke it.

-Dave

dnp
Activity: 401
Merit: 110
by the way this is doable even though there are multiple coin code branches over the years doing slightly different things in the tx raw block because....
i also use the decoded pretty format too! it gives all the clues you need to find what you need.
basically the pretty formatted version is a guidebook to the raw version.
although i have yet to work on a segwit blockchain... that put stuff in the raw tx block.

dnp
Looks like the explorer had stalled on Jan 15th. I was trying to get it back up and running but I think something really munged the DB so I just did a purge and reload. Should be up to the current blocks soon. It's moving real slow but I don't have time to figure out why at the moment.

@dnp do you have a copy of the changes you made, I would like to take a look if I ever have that mythical thing called free time.

Everyone, difficulty is low you can probably find blocks mining with some old video cards.

my changes are substantial so a diff and patch wont be a sane process.
and i did not and do not use Git Smiley
you'd pretty much have to take the whole source.

i planned on making the source available once i settle down on bug fixes in my latest change.
also got to rip out a lot of slowing-down debug code.

in order to get precise floating point numbers i crack the satoshi values out of raw transactions and not
the pretty formatted ones iquidus currently uses. the formatting introduces precision issues, the JSON.encode
inside the node module bitcoin or whatever then introduces even more precision issues.
my first pass was to run a modified node bitcoin module to string-quote those floating point values, it helped a lot
but still a few nagging ones were generated by the wallet itself.

all this because one day i tipped my head at the "total supply" value and realized it should not have any decimal places at all !
we dont have proof-of-stake creating fractional coins, we dont burn tx fees. so the total supply should be a nice whole coin
multiple of lowest common denominator of proof-of-work values generated. basically a whole number ending in either in '00' or '50'

my code is still a little glitchy on some blockchains (ndl is simple enough to work well, but other coins do extreme transactions
in their blockchains. MFCoin for example did a hard fork this last oct.1  what they did is rollover the old blockchain into a brand new one with the first 360 or so blocks contain 2001 transactions EACH. that sure shook a few things loose in my code Smiley

but yes, i'll probably make my version available BEFORE your mythical free time appears Smiley lol...

currently i'm trying to figure out if the negative balance in one address i have in metalmusic coin is from a value decoding glitch or if i lost a whole transaction or block during one of the many crashes of my code. i'm going to be writing address 'audit' code -- real slow but should determine if everything is there. kinda like a reindex, but for one address.

i started on this trip because i thought further development by the original iquidus author was no more.
but it seems sometime in late fall while i was off on this tagent, he woke up and did a lot of new work too.
may want to check out his latest release. apparently has speed ups.

speed up is definitely not in my code dealing with all values as strings instead of native numbers and also storing and moving a lot more data in the db for the various metrics, etc. i do.

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Looks like the explorer had stalled on Jan 15th. I was trying to get it back up and running but I think something really munged the DB so I just did a purge and reload. Should be up to the current blocks soon. It's moving real slow but I don't have time to figure out why at the moment.

@dnp do you have a copy of the changes you made, I would like to take a look if I ever have that mythical thing called free time.

Everyone, difficulty is low you can probably find blocks mining with some old video cards.

-Dave

Congratulations for the first public POOL of NDL.

Just a remind for ShorelineCrypto Exchange new policy of no mining on exchange address.  Because mining will blow up and damage the wallet of exchange,
please use only your personal wallet address for mining, not the exchange wallet address.

dnp

It's been that way since the beginning, when number435398 updated the code he kept it in to keep things standard.
You have been here for a while I am surprised you never noticed.

It's really not on any day, since the code does not know days it's based on the number of blocks mined, so the day moves.

-Dave

i've generally just let things run, i'm not really one of those always watching kind of people.
but i was actively working on my explorer mods and saw this appear right before my eyes.

i half suspected/remembered there was some special higher reward moments, just didnt remember the details.

btw, my modified explorer rocks Smiley lol... can really get a good overview of the blockchain and coin ownership now.
i just got to now move it to a machine that everyone is able to access through the net. all the good stuff is under the
richlist page (aka Jolly Pirates.)

also fixed the floating point precision issues from the original iquidus merely using the machine's (bad Intel design decisions) floating point hardware. when you have over a million transactions, tiny precision problems accumulate quickly.
it always tweaked me that the coin supply was a decimal fraction when only whole coins were ever produced.

if we had proof-of-stake or burned tx fees then decimal fractions would make sense. but we dont have them.

ps to dave: metalmusiccoin is not a healthy looking blockchain Smiley
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
what? the block reward went up to 3750 from 1250 Huh

starting at block 1873440   9th Jan 2020 08:33:34 GMT

wouldn't have noticed if i weren't playing with explorer mods at the moment.

and now at block 1874880 it went back down to 1250

Every Friday Thursday (or something not terribly far off) is a holy day, with triple block rewards. Block subsidy halves every 525600 blocks (once per year)

It's been that way since the beginning, when number435398 updated the code he kept it in to keep things standard.
You have been here for a while I am surprised you never noticed.

It's really not on any day, since the code does not know days it's based on the number of blocks mined, so the day moves.

-Dave
dnp
what? the block reward went up to 3750 from 1250 Huh

starting at block 1873440   9th Jan 2020 08:33:34 GMT

wouldn't have noticed if i weren't playing with explorer mods at the moment.

and now at block 1874880 it went back down to 1250

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange

The problem is that when people mine really hard really fast briefly and then leave it, the difficult is raised significantly to account for that miner.  Once that miner leaves and the difficulty has been adjusted to account for their presence, it can take days to get the blockchain moving again at a steady pace because the remaining hashing power isn't enough to hash enough blocks over a short period of time to alter the difficulty to reflect the lack of the really powerful miner.

i've said it before, if the blockchain needs an increase or decrease in mining just PM me here or use the contact link at the bottom of my explorer.
i can control my hashrate and 'ease' the difficulty down or up as needed.

I can too, it just annoyed me that there were only a handful of people who knew about the pool and nobody would admit to it.
I eventually blocked that IP and called it a day. With the new pool it's all out in public.

-Dave
dnp

The problem is that when people mine really hard really fast briefly and then leave it, the difficult is raised significantly to account for that miner.  Once that miner leaves and the difficulty has been adjusted to account for their presence, it can take days to get the blockchain moving again at a steady pace because the remaining hashing power isn't enough to hash enough blocks over a short period of time to alter the difficulty to reflect the lack of the really powerful miner.

i've said it before, if the blockchain needs an increase or decrease in mining just PM me here or use the contact link at the bottom of my explorer.
i can control my hashrate and 'ease' the difficulty down or up as needed.
Activity: 260
Merit: 6
Somebody slammed the difficulty again a few hours ago. This is just getting stupid.
Since it's the pool I setup for just myself and a few other people to mine at occasionally that is causing this I am going to make some changes next week that will hopefully take care of it. Nobody has admitted to it so....

-Dave

Why is that stupid? Difficulty gotta rise. I skipped through the code but found no alarming spots nor suspicious lines I would feel the necessity to report. Madness is the only reason why people mine it. Only an outcast with sixty kids living below the waterline in a petroleum tank could be the archytype of a person paying attention to anything this insignificant.

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518
Somebody slammed the difficulty again a few hours ago. This is just getting stupid.
Since it's the pool I setup for just myself and a few other people to mine at occasionally that is causing this I am going to make some changes next week that will hopefully take care of it. Nobody has admitted to it so....

-Dave

Why is that stupid? Difficulty gotta rise. I skipped through the code but found no alarming spots nor suspicious lines I would feel the necessity to report. Madness is the only reason why people mine it. Only an outcast with sixty kids living below the waterline in a petroleum tank could be the archetype of a person paying attention to anything this insignificant.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
oops, forgot to wish the NDL blockchain a happy birthday a few days ago
   02 Jan 2014 23:32 GMT

happy birthday ! Smiley

6 Years.
Makes you wonder how many other alts are out there from that long ago.

Side note we now have a POOL:

https://unknownminingpool.com/

-Dave
dnp
oops, forgot to wish the NDL blockchain a happy birthday a few days ago
   02 Jan 2014 23:32 GMT

happy birthday ! Smiley
Shoreline_tradingbot version 1.0 is released

shoreline_tradingbot is open source project that enable users to automatically buy or sell NDL, NewEnglandcoin or any other coins listed at exchange with ShorelineCrypto APIKEY functions.

NewEnglandcoin (NENG) and Marinecoin (MTC) is fully tested at ShorelineCrypto exchange at this version of tradingbot.  A bot user can use windows 10, MacOs or Linux computers to
automatically  buyonly/sellonly/buysell at fixed amount at fixed price every 5 minutes in the exchange.

Software readme on how to install and on how to use:
https://github.com/ShorelineCrypto/shoreline_tradingbot

v1.0 zip file download:
https://github.com/ShorelineCrypto/shoreline_tradingbot/archive/v1.0.zip

Activity: 260
Merit: 6
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Explorer is back up to date.

-Dave