Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Noirbits Update required Improved algos !!!! - page 13. (Read 74474 times)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
What would also be good is if we could detect if say 5 blocks were found too quickly in a row and then do a retarget then. Once we make the changes to the difficulty to allow it to lower faster, it just means that more people will jump back on until it sky rockets again and then comes back down for those who are leaving their miners on it for that period of time keeping the coin going. Just another thing for us to consider.
Yes. We are seeing a real seesaw right now. We have to figure out the right ballast for the algorithm. They should design a test simulator into the open source along with a test suite which does stuff like this, so the algorithm can be refined before the coin is launched.

Having said that, I went to bed last night adding hashes to the network, because I thought that in another 20 blocks the hashrate would adjust down. It did, but went too low and we got 500 blocks over 6 hours, but I have almost no coin this morning, so I think that large miners jumped on it as soon as the difficulty went low, taking all the coin. We definitely need it to react much faster to adds and drops.

Instead of using the average over the last 4 retargets, how about an exponential weighted average, like 50%, 30%, 12%, 8%. Unlimited drops (how about only when we hit the 4 hour limit, but not for a regular 60 block retarget).

Activity: 42
What would also be good is if we could detect if say 5 blocks were found too quickly in a row and then do a retarget then. Once we make the changes to the difficulty to allow it to lower faster, it just means that more people will jump back on until it sky rockets again and then comes back down for those who are leaving their miners on it for that period of time keeping the coin going. Just another thing for us to consider.
Activity: 42
Yeah, I think I know where it comes from... there's in source a fix to avoid 51% attacks that could change difficulty at will... Thing is it looks back over the last 4 retargets to adjust hashrate. With yesterday's spike, and the 4x rewind to recalc diff, difficulty went way lower than it should have... It's now adjusting with the new retargets that went very quickly, a couple minutes max. between each.

Final word, we really really need a new diff algo, or this is gonna kill the coin...
lets get to it tonight

Let me know when we got a new windows client we need to push and I'll get it up on the website as well.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
WTF with this pool http://nrb.miners-united.com ?
Power 800 khs instead of 3000 mhs shows how other pools.

Yea found heaps of blocks but not showing and hash rate is 1/4 of what it should be..

Yeah I need to check my hashrate calc... but don't worry, you are getting paid for shares, not hashrate. I think the hashrate calc had trouble keeping up with the rate of shares being pushed.

I'm not home, so I can't check, but my hashrate is half of what it should be. Do your miners report any slowdowns, or is everything ok ?

Hashrate is returning to normal with the diff increase... but anyhow, you are getting paid for shares, not hashrate.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
Yeah, I think I know where it comes from... there's in source a fix to avoid 51% attacks that could change difficulty at will... Thing is it looks back over the last 4 retargets to adjust hashrate. With yesterday's spike, and the 4x rewind to recalc diff, difficulty went way lower than it should have... It's now adjusting with the new retargets that went very quickly, a couple minutes max. between each.

Final word, we really really need a new diff algo, or this is gonna kill the coin...
lets get to it tonight
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

Yea found heaps of blocks but not showing and hash rate is 1/4 of what it should be..
Activity: 101
To many rejects 30%

Now 10%

Yeah, that's to be expected... you can decrease scantime and expiry on cgminer, but hashrate is so off the charts compared to difficulty that it's bound to happen.

Activity: 101
To many rejects 30%

Now 10%

legendary
7000% wtf  Cheesy
legendary
Well, here's a new idea for diff adjustments :

* Hourly retargets (every 30 blocks @ ~2min block time)
* Retarget on next block if no retarget for 4 hours. Ensures that difficulty will drop back after hashrate spikes.
* Retarget limits :
** Caps on increases to avoid massive difficulty spikes. If increased hashrate is sustained, the difficulty will follow up pretty quickly in a couple of retargets.
** Uncapped difficulty decreases : ensures miners who decide to support the coin despite high difficulty and lower income get rewarded. It is complementary of the 4 hours rule, for the cases where difficulty has increased over a while (a few days), but lower profitability will cause massive hashrate drops (TY CoinChoose...). Even with the 4 hour rule, difficulty would take a while to recover from the sustained difficulty increase.

The idea here is to give smooth adjustments that really correlate to the network's hashrate.

What do you guys think ?

i second that !!
Well, here's a new idea for diff adjustments :

* Hourly retargets (every 30 blocks @ ~2min block time)
* Retarget on next block if no retarget for 4 hours. Ensures that difficulty will drop back after hashrate spikes.
* Retarget limits :
** Caps on increases to avoid massive difficulty spikes. If increased hashrate is sustained, the difficulty will follow up pretty quickly in a couple of retargets.
** Uncapped difficulty decreases : ensures miners who decide to support the coin despite high difficulty and lower income get rewarded. It is complementary of the 4 hours rule, for the cases where difficulty has increased over a while (a few days), but lower profitability will cause massive hashrate drops (TY CoinChoose...). Even with the 4 hour rule, difficulty would take a while to recover from the sustained difficulty increase.

The idea here is to give smooth adjustments that really correlate to the network's hashrate.

What do you guys think ?
legendary
Activity: 1197
Something is wrong with Coinmine again.. It won't recognise any of my new workers. They connect fine, show that they are getting accepted shares, but the web interface doesn't show them as connected. Gonna connect my new workers to miners-united and go to bed.

bug in cronjob - fixed now. Mining was not interrupted
Activity: 104
Something is wrong with Coinmine again.. It won't recognise any of my new workers. They connect fine, show that they are getting accepted shares, but the web interface doesn't show them as connected. Gonna connect my new workers to miners-united and go to bed.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010
gave this coin a try yesterday, it's fun to mine, pool gave me pretty much 0.1% stales which is awesome Smiley

Might turn back to this later today Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 504
always the student, never the master.
barwheezy, i have just invested in your Noribits on nanotokens. if you are succesful in lowering the blocktime, please offer me an insight on how it is done. i'm afraid i might kill my coin

retarget is the issue, blocktime is fine

oh, i see. seems to be a combination of the issue for me. retarget is only happening every 48 hours which makes  for some sluggish spells. anywho, sorry for the thread jack brother. i'll hit you up sometime.

r3wt

Nope. Currently, retarget is set every 60 blocks, which is about 2hours at regular block time (~2min.). Last retarget was too long due to a spike in hashrate, pushing a high target on the network, which then caused a massive drop in hashrate. Block time for the network increased to about 20~30mn instead of 2.

For those worried about their coins, changing retarget rules will not kill your coins. It will only change the way difficulty is adjusted at retargets, and prevent issues like we've seen yesterday.

thanks for the heads up man. oddly, the same thing happened to my coin yesterday after launch. hashrate shot through the roof and now the diff seems to be stuck really high. been at .8 for almost 24 hours
legendary

Couldn't you chose a better name for a coin?

are you complaining on every coins name? wtf?
Pages:
Jump to: