Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] OPENDIME v3 – Now *Genuine Verified* Bitcoin Credit Stick (in stock!) - page 7. (Read 16498 times)

nvK
Activity: 381
Merit: 259
I know I am paranoid.  I will freely admit it.  So, how can you guarantee that my btc are safe?

The FAQ on their website should answer your question:
Is the private key unique and secret?

Yes. Opendime is delivered without any private key. You must give it entropy (random numbers) the first time you use it. Once it's gotten enough numbers, it will hash them all together and use that to pick a random number to use as the private key. At that point, the payment address is generated and set in stone.

This whole process is very easy: just copy some files into the USB drive. When it's got enough bits (256k bytes) it will eject itself and come back with its final payment address.

On top of that, you could unseal and get the WIF (private key) offline and never connect the Opendime to anything after that. Since the OD does not connect to the internet, it's not possible for it to move funds without you
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
I know I am paranoid.  I will freely admit it.  So, how can you guarantee that my btc are safe?

The FAQ on their website should answer your question:
Is the private key unique and secret?

Yes. Opendime is delivered without any private key. You must give it entropy (random numbers) the first time you use it. Once it's gotten enough numbers, it will hash them all together and use that to pick a random number to use as the private key. At that point, the payment address is generated and set in stone.

This whole process is very easy: just copy some files into the USB drive. When it's got enough bits (256k bytes) it will eject itself and come back with its final payment address.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Interested in the Power of Bitcoin
I really like these!  I think they could be used to initiate newbs to storing and transferring bitcoin.  Or just to have a cheap disposable wallet!

My biggest issues is my paranoia about any kind of hardware wallet device, whether it is this or trezor, etc: that there may be malicious code built in to steal the bitcoins. 

Thanks!  I know it must be tough convincing someone like me, but I definitely would buy some if I was pretty certain they were safe.
nvK
Price is kind of high but good idea.

It's the cheapest hardware wallet out there and can be used multiple times before it's unsealed!

I like your project... I've been thinking about getting some and either using them as a crowdfunding reward.

Suggestions:
Add the bitcoin logo  Grin

Thanks for the suggestion, space is tight but its a great idea. Maybe on the version after.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057
SpacePirate.io

It's the cheapest hardware wallet out there and can be used multiple times before it's unsealed!

I like your project... I've been thinking about getting some and either using them as a crowdfunding reward.

Suggestions:
Add the bitcoin logo  Grin
nvK

Activity: 111
Merit: 100
nvK
It is quite sad that you still do not even accept bitcoin for purchases. I wanted to get in on the first batch but you did not support bitcoins then and still dont now.

We are swamped, haven't had a chance to build a combo shopping cart yet. Soon...
legendary
Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000
It is quite sad that you still do not even accept bitcoin for purchases. I wanted to get in on the first batch but you did not support bitcoins then and still dont now.
nvK
That's really nice ! But does the computer that will receive the USB stick will need to be connected to the internet in order to receive the money ?

In that respect it's similar to a paper wallet, it doesn't have to be online to get that private key. But like any other wallet, once you want to make a transaction, you need to broadcast online.

The privacy advantage here is to be able to give this to another person, and another person and so one without having to go online to sweep the key
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
That's really nice ! But does the computer that will receive the USB stick will need to be connected to the internet in order to receive the money ?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

I'm just about to leave town, so will have to check in when I get back.  Please have that BTC payment option up & running if possible when you can.

Your device looks like it will work very well in its niche, there apparently is nothing else like it.  I look forward to test-firing it sometime.
nvK

Cool, please start a thread with support will help with the count.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
We will have a Bitcoin solution soon, we are swamped with other stuff right now.

If you'd like we can process a couple orders by hand, just send your quantity and shipping address to [email protected] and we will send you a bitcoin address to pay.
Alright, sounds good! I'll boot up a group buy and get back to you (but please reserve three already, as I want some for sure). Grin
nvK
We will have a Bitcoin solution soon, we are swamped with other stuff right now.

If you'd like we can process a couple orders by hand, just send your quantity and shipping address to [email protected] and we will send you a bitcoin address to pay.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
I spent some time on Opendime site trying to figure out how much this piece of hardware cost.
And it turns out it is only visible if you are filling out shipping information, not the best idea imo.
Also as others already pointed - I was disappointed to see you are accepting only credit cards payment.
Because of that I won't be able to buy it unfortunately as I don't have credit/debit card.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
I'm very interested in buying a few of these, but you guys only accept Credit Cards. Any possibility to pay with Bitcoin?

I might try and do a group buy for these as well. Seeing as they are relatively cheap and I'm sure a few people would like them.
nvK

Updating firmware is a problem for me.  Often I have bad results no matter what the device is.

We are looking for feedback for the next batch.
Opendimes are not upgradable, for security reasons you cannot flash them. The firmware is "burned" in.

And please let us know when you will take Bitcoin as payment.  Last I looked, it was not an option.

On the todo list, hopefully soon.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

We are finalizing the next firmware version, feedback welcome!

Feel free to send it here [email protected]

Updating firmware is a problem for me.  Often I have bad results no matter what the device is.

Simplicity..............  "K.I.S.S." is a good saying for a reason.

And please let us know when you will take Bitcoin as payment.  Last I looked, it was not an option.

Thanks, and the best of luck with your product.  Done correctly, you will fill a wonderful niche.
Activity: 179
Merit: 250
Why didnt I think of that!? Great idea.
Pages:
Jump to: