Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [PASC] PascalCoin, true deletable blockchain - V3 Hardfork on block 210000 - page 3. (Read 990662 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1864
And another question - in my wallet I have the inscription "Node status: Alone on the world" - does the wallet not see the network?

Yes. "Aloen on the world" means you're not connected to PascalCoin blockchain so you cannot check/mine

The question is why this is happening. Yesterday I updated the wallet itself to the latest version, I launch it - synchronization takes place, for a while everything works fine - you can see that the chain is synchronized, and then it goes back to the "Alone on the world" statute. At the same time, I do not change anything, there is traffic, everything works

The information you provide is not enough to diagnose the problem. The screenshot does not show which version of pascalcoin you are using.

I know this much, if you mean with "latest version" pulling code from git from most recent commit then pascalcoin might not work because currently the absolute latest version seems buggy.

If you are using a "release" version then pascalcoin should work.

If release version not working then in that case check firewall settings, restart pascalcoin or post some debug logs here perhaps then we can take a look at it.
(Examine the GUI until you find the debug log option, there should be a checkbox somewhere, though it seems you are using a deamon... is the pascalcoin wallet/gui working on your system ?)
(Could also be a problem with miner code, maybe it was not updated to work with latest version of pascal coin deamon ? this just speculation for now)

What you could try is fall back to a previous version that was working. Let us know if this works for you.

Also let us know which version did and which version didn't work.

1. Version 5.3.3
2. No changes in the server environment (firewall, permissions, etc.) have been changed
3. Prior to that, the previous version of the Pascal wallet worked without interruption for several months.
Activity: 384
Merit: 110
And another question - in my wallet I have the inscription "Node status: Alone on the world" - does the wallet not see the network?

Yes. "Aloen on the world" means you're not connected to PascalCoin blockchain so you cannot check/mine

The question is why this is happening. Yesterday I updated the wallet itself to the latest version, I launch it - synchronization takes place, for a while everything works fine - you can see that the chain is synchronized, and then it goes back to the "Alone on the world" statute. At the same time, I do not change anything, there is traffic, everything works

The information you provide is not enough to diagnose the problem. The screenshot does not show which version of pascalcoin you are using.

I know this much, if you mean with "latest version" pulling code from git from most recent commit then pascalcoin might not work because currently the absolute latest version seems buggy.

If you are using a "release" version then pascalcoin should work.

If release version not working then in that case check firewall settings, restart pascalcoin or post some debug logs here perhaps then we can take a look at it.
(Examine the GUI until you find the debug log option, there should be a checkbox somewhere, though it seems you are using a deamon... is the pascalcoin wallet/gui working on your system ?)
(Could also be a problem with miner code, maybe it was not updated to work with latest version of pascal coin deamon ? this just speculation for now)

What you could try is fall back to a previous version that was working. Let us know if this works for you.

Also let us know which version did and which version didn't work.
legendary

Activity: 334
Merit: 263

legendary
Hello !
There was a problem, I can't solve it, maybe one of you can help!
I have had mining Pascal on one of the servers for a long time. It works and works, I rarely look there. The other day I decided to check - and everything is in errors. The miner has stopped, the wallet is not syncing ..
The wallet was updated to the current version - well done developers, they did not abandon the project, everything works and is better than it was. Miner (nanominer) also updated to the latest version. I start mining and ... here's a picture.

Can someone explain what happened and how to fix it?

Check the pools.

Nanopool doesn't support PASC mining anymore since few weeks.

There is fastpool.xyz, coinotron or solo if you have good hardware.

It seems that I just watched mining for the last time for a little over a couple of weeks ... And what capacities can be attributed to "good" for mining on your own? I have, for example, 24 cores Xeon X5650 x 2.67 GHz - is this normal power?
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Hello !
I have had mining Pascal on one of the servers for a long time. It works and works, I rarely look there. The other day I decided to check - and everything is in errors. The miner has stopped, the wallet is not syncing ..
The wallet was updated to the current version - well done developers, they did not abandon the project, everything works and is better than it was. Miner (nanominer) also updated to the latest version. I start mining and ... here's a picture.
https://i.ibb.co/nmJZXqS/Screenshot-36.jpg

Check the pools.

Nanopool doesn't support PASC mining anymore since few weeks.

There is fastpool.xyz, coinotron or solo if you have good hardware.
legendary
Hello !

Activity: 2520
Merit: 626
copper member
Activity: 22
From core dev:

More improvements made to source code for 5.4 release
- AbstractMem library v 1.1 -> Improvement up to 4x faster than previous version
- Some JSON-RPC changes -> Documented on CHANGELOG.md , pending to add to Wiki and other sites

5.4 release working with AbstractMem will work PERFECT on a simple 1Gb RAM machine. Run a full node for less than 5.00 USD$/month

State-of-the-art core for current v5 will give us a perfect ready-to-go for next v6

https://github.com/PascalCoin/PascalCoin/pull/31
Activity: 2618
Merit: 550
I got in early and have some early addresses.  Should I reboot the wallet to see if those have value today or is the address buying part of the project not currently that interesting?
Activity: 334
Merit: 263
Is this project R.I.P.?

No updates for 2 years  Huh  Sad

Is this a joke?
More than 100 commits to development in recent months...

https://github.com/PascalCoin/PascalCoin/commits/master

Is this project R.I.P.?

There have been plenty of updates... what makes you believe otherwise ?
Is this project R.I.P.?

My concern is regarding point 2.  Mining nodes are required to verify transactions.  Known as full nodes.  

How to sustain the network with full node non mining wallets only?

~ Tom

The funny thing is running PascalCoin wallet (assuming main server(s) and dns is still there) will sustain the network in principle. At least peers can find each other and download the blockchain/database/safebox from each other.

If the miners stop mining then transactions can still be performed but they will stay in the "pending" section/state of pascalcoin, waiting forever to be recorded onto a block which will never happen. So eventually the ammount of transactions in the pending state will probably overflow some kind of internal data structure inside pascalcoin, something may run out of memory. This is kinda of interesting to simulate to see what would happen if suddenly all miners drop off.

(In the early days of PascalCoin the miner was "build-in" but now it's a seperate process that attaches to/communicates the PascalCoin wallet via JSON/RPC/TCP_IP)

Here is example of how to solo mine PascalCoin:

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-solo-mine-pascalcoin/

If your question was more about how can the network be sustained without main server(s) and dns then the answer would probably be keep out and never shut it down. Perhaps PascalCoin does store a list of found nodes onto a file somewhere on the disk, I can vaguely remember seeing such a feature.

Problem with that idea is if PascalCoin was not run for a long time, and those nodes no longer there or their IP addresses where changed then this method will not find other nodes anymore.

Also new users/nodes cannot connect without main server(s)/dns.

Another third idea would:

3. Scan the internet version 4 addresses for other nodes, this may take 1, 2 or 3 days depending on the bandwidth available, at least assuming nodes are on a fixed/same port this would still be doable. If ports are too different then implementing a special IP layer interception mechanic could also ignore ports but this would be technically a little bit difficult/challenging to do on windows because of restrictions but it is possible with special drivers.

Problem with this third idea would be if everybody starts doing this would create a bandwidth storm. But in practice it's probably not so bad... once peers find each other this scanning can stop.

Another problem with this idea is: How can one be sure the node is on the main/full network ?!? It is possible that seperate pascalcoin networks/forks would exist.

Ultimately they may join and form a super/main network but then one of the safebox would be replaced with the other, invalidating the transactions of one of the networks, this would be kinda funny but also annoying and maybe even somewhat dangerous.

This would be like a "double spent" attack except on an entire sub-network. In principle this could happen to bitcoin as well.

So lesson to be learned from this is that some centralization is necessary for bitcoin/pascalcoin and crypto coins to work. Something has to make sure everybody is on the main net/fork otherwise transactions in jeopardy.

At least eventually there will be some consensus but at great cost and inconvenience to some perhaps.

One way to potentially prevent multiple pascalcoin networks without using centralization would be to perform the entire scan of the internet and not stop when only a few nodes are found.

Another method could be to "distribute" the scanning among already found nodes so they all try and scan a part of the internet to try and make sure all nodes and sub-networks are found. This would be a pretty cool idea.

For IPv6 the ammount of scanning required would be quite large and perhaps in practical, not sure about that ! Wink Smiley But at least it's better something than nothing =D

And ofcourse then there is method 4, which is kinda strange it's not implemented in pascalcoin, I do believe it is implemented in bitcoin:

4. Adding other peer's addresses/ports manually, to manually build up a network.

Point 4 is good fallback mechanism... but does require some human co-operation and effort and perhaps even trust and willness and up-time etc. ! Wink Smiley
Chat programs/communication methods etc.

Perhaps a somewhat new method might be powerfull:

5. Using mobile phones and pascalcoin apps installed on mobile phones to scan around and find others. I am not a mobile phone users myself, but there are many mobile phone users and they seem to be using these devices all the time and checking for new messages and such, so the "up-time" of mobile phones seems to be quite high and people also move around with them, so perhaps this will help at find others in close promity, this would be quite cool ! Wink Smiley Perhaps this might even keep pascalcoin working if there is some kind of ISP or DNS attack or catasthrophy like nuclear strike, asteroid/comet or big fat war, or explosion like libanon/beirut. No idea if ISP went down there... lots of satelitte dishes and/or antennas blow off roof tops and such... so some disruption must have occured there...

There indeed seems to be massive ISP outages in beirut following the explosion:

https://netblocks.org/reports/internet-connectivity-in-lebanon-impacted-following-blast-YAE2RvB3

Also caused by power loss (infrastructure damage).

Terranet ISP Headquarters was near the explosion and was impacted by it.

Rename or clone for pascal with these features: War-Resistent-Coin WRC Smiley

Another example of outtages:

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/ijb8tn/global_as3356_level3_outages/

^ Internet routing tables not so stable and quite fragile.

"
Global AS3356 (Level3) Outages

It looks like some serious routing issues are afoot in AS3356 (CenturyLink/L3). Reports of routing loops in Europe and US. Fastly and Cloudflare seeing impacts:

https://status.fastly.com/

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/
"
I'd like to see the following features added to PascalCoin:

Anything that will make PascalCoin more distributed and less reliant on DNS:

1. Distributed Hash Tree (Like uTorrent has to find other peers via magnet links) Though I believe DHT and distributed database still rely on some DNS not sure though.
2. Multicast Support for finding other peers. This would probably be a better solution than DHT because it will not rely on DNS and IPv6 supports it. I haven't tested IPv6 Multicast yet though. But PascalCoin seems like a good candidate to test this new internet functionality ! Wink

Technical changes to the source codes:

3. Removal of spaces and replaced by tabs for most faster code editing.
4. Splitting of large pascal files into multiple for easier editing and faster scrolling and easier finding of functionality in specific files instead of having to find it via searches or scrolling.
5. Perhaps resolve of circular references in classes and units.

Perhaps removal of RandomHash1 and RandomHash2:
6. RandomHash seems to have failed to distribute coins to many peers and therefore is just massive code bloat and a maintance and porting nightmare.

re point 6:

Mining has not been in any way profitable for 3 years.  GPUs or otherwise.  Back when it was GPU only even.  Coming from 4 1080tis right when they were released.

What is the issue with DNS?  It uses dynamic DNS and it always works.  It's not hardcored.

The issue with DNS is: PascalCoin uses a few "hardcoded" DNS names which are stored in the source code and compiled into the executables.

Every PascalCoin node that wants to go online and connect to other peers first queries these stored DNS names. The internet provider and domain name system operators machines then return more or less
some internet addresses which point to machines/computers being run by PascalCoin. These computers then connect back to Peers that want to go online and from there on "Peer Exchange Protocol" may take place.

This has a couple of implications:

1. PascalCoin will only work/function if Domain Name System is working correctly.
AND
2. PascalCoin will only work/function if the Servers/Computers attached to the DNS stored in the software are OPERATIONAL.
AND
3. PascalCoin is therefore a "service" which costs money to run. It relies on ISP's and DNS and PascalCoin servers.

If one of these three decides to quite it's game over for PascalCoin.

If DNS quits that could be solved by also hard coding some IP addresses into the software. However IP addresses are not stable especially IPv4. And if machines attached to those hardcoded IPs stop same problem.

Alternatives for ISP's could be WIFI, BlueTooth or other wireless technologies.

If PascalCoin machine/servers stop there is no current alternative.

Other connection/query technologies like Multicast or Magnetic links / Distributed Hash Tables could solve this problem.

It's basically same problem as "The Pirate Bay" website getting banned by ISPs because of court orders/copyright claims.

Or Torrent Trackers going down or getting banned =D

However The Onion Router can route around that as long as those machines are still running and not blocked/banned at their core access point.

To keep PascalCoin running forever a long time some things are needed:

1. Machines that run the PascalCoin software.
2 Some money to pay for electrical bills and internet access. However these costs could be replaced by solar panels perhaps, wind mills and perhaps free WIFI access but these technologies may become obsolete in future =D
3. Finding PascalCoin machines: For now DNS records/DNS service, there is free dns, dynamic services and such but this is complex to setup, maintain and run for joe average. An alternative way for machines to find PascalCoin is much desired ! =D

I understand the DNS issue now.

Tor network like and bittorrents for servers to find each other.

My concern is regarding point 2.  Mining nodes are required to verify transactions.  Known as full nodes. 

I am still running one, but that computer is on its last legs.

So my question is, running the wallet etc (I've compiled it for a Raspberry Pi 2 years ago or so and it worked fine) on lite SBCs is doable and inexpensive.

Free computing power?  Borrowed from devices maybe using AD like model that uses few cycles but without the ADs. 

My point is, I had 4 powerful computers mining full nodes but they all took a dump, so that's a big financial loss.

How to sustain the network with full node non mining wallets only?

~ Tom

1. Distributed Hash Tree (Like uTorrent has to find other peers via magnet links) Though I believe DHT and distributed database still rely on some DNS not sure though.
2. Multicast Support for finding other peers. This would probably be a better solution than DHT because it will not rely on DNS and IPv6 supports it. I haven't tested IPv6 Multicast yet though. But PascalCoin seems like a good candidate to test this new internet functionality ! Wink

4. Splitting of large pascal files into multiple for easier editing and faster scrolling and easier finding of functionality in specific files instead of having to find it via searches or scrolling.

6. RandomHash seems to have failed to distribute coins to many peers and therefore is just massive code bloat and a maintance and porting nightmare.

re point 6:

Mining has not been in any way profitable for 3 years.  GPUs or otherwise.  Back when it was GPU only even.  Coming from 4 1080tis right when they were released.

What is the issue with DNS?  It uses dynamic DNS and it always works.  It's not hardcored.

The issue with DNS is: PascalCoin uses a few "hardcoded" DNS names which are stored in the source code and compiled into the executables.

Every PascalCoin node that wants to go online and connect to other peers first queries these stored DNS names. The internet provider and domain name system operators machines then return more or less
some internet addresses which point to machines/computers being run by PascalCoin. These computers then connect back to Peers that want to go online and from there on "Peer Exchange Protocol" may take place.

This has a couple of implications:

1. PascalCoin will only work/function if Domain Name System is working correctly.
AND
2. PascalCoin will only work/function if the Servers/Computers attached to the DNS stored in the software are OPERATIONAL.
AND
3. PascalCoin is therefore a "service" which costs money to run. It relies on ISP's and DNS and PascalCoin servers.

If one of these three decides to quite it's game over for PascalCoin.

If DNS quits that could be solved by also hard coding some IP addresses into the software. However IP addresses are not stable especially IPv4. And if machines attached to those hardcoded IPs stop same problem.

Alternatives for ISP's could be WIFI, BlueTooth or other wireless technologies.

If PascalCoin machine/servers stop there is no current alternative.

Other connection/query technologies like Multicast or Magnetic links / Distributed Hash Tables could solve this problem.

It's basically same problem as "The Pirate Bay" website getting banned by ISPs because of court orders/copyright claims.

Or Torrent Trackers going down or getting banned =D

However The Onion Router can route around that as long as those machines are still running and not blocked/banned at their core access point.

To keep PascalCoin running forever a long time some things are needed:

1. Machines that run the PascalCoin software.
2 Some money to pay for electrical bills and internet access. However these costs could be replaced by solar panels perhaps, wind mills and perhaps free WIFI access but these technologies may become obsolete in future =D
3. Finding PascalCoin machines: For now DNS records/DNS service, there is free dns, dynamic services and such but this is complex to setup, maintain and run for joe average. An alternative way for machines to find PascalCoin is much desired ! =D

re point 6:

Activity: 1092
Merit: 250
Hodlers Network
Happy Birthday to Pascal coin, because today is the day when this coin born
i hope, in the future this coin will be listed as the TOP altcoins
Pages:
Jump to: