Author

Topic: [ANN] Qora | Released 16 May | 100% POS | New Source - page 319. (Read 748233 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Another problem with Qora. All seems to be ok, but when I shutdown the client and restart again later, nothing works. I have to delete the whole data folder to restart the client. Don't know why, maybe there is no regular shutdown?

Make sure to shutdown using Alt + Q (File -> Quit)...  don't click the X icon.

Sometimes Alt + Q works, sometimes not. At the moment I'm not able to stop the synced and runnung client without clicking X icon.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1002
i've read those. But, read the NXT announcement and the QORA announcements. Read the message each user posted. They are obviously different people from their language style, the way they talk/post etc. At least to me.

In nxt - "messages are based on text written by BCNext, paraphrased in Come-from-Beyond's words [and grammar-corrected by Joefox] to protect BCNext's real identity against text style analysis (as was agreed)".

link: http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/BCNext's_Plan
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

i've read those. But, read the NXT announcement and the QORA announcements. Read the message each user posted. They are obviously different people from their language style, the way they talk/post etc. At least to me.
legendary
I guess he should if he is BCnext!  Grin
Which I highly doubt is the case.

Read this:

1. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6856665
2. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6831744
3. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6851634
4. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6832049

Than tell me what you think.

But again. Qora might be way more talanted than BCNext, so I'm not saying that Qora is BCNext because I don't want to offense him making such conclusion. All I'm saing is that Qora and BCNext are alike. Probably most geniuses are.
- TRUE  Cheesy
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
win
I think saying a coin is the same as another is it does the same functions is a bit like saying a Ferrari is the same as a Ford. Implementation and what is 'under the hood' is highly essential.

I always requested this and I know Qora has said he has planned the 'coin' to be future proof but I really would love to know more in depth the functions and qualities of this coin.

It doesn't need to come from Qora as he's busy and not the salesman type. What would be good is if someone here could elaborate on the functions given in the OP and what they mean in simple terms. We really need to differentiate between NXT, just saying its like NXT with a different wallet is a but weak.
legendary

Which I highly doubt is the case.
Activity: 464
Merit: 260
I had a couple of questions about the POS blocks that I was hoping someone could answer:

1) Is the POS reward equal to the transaction fee for the solved block (like NXT)?
2) For the people that have setup nodes, if the node is running without the UI, is it still trying to solve POS blocks?  Or does the wallet need to be open?

legendary
I haven't followed nxt that much but as far as I understand the development was paid and will stop in a week?
nice try  Wink

Qora client opens in seconds and sending coins is a joy
With Qora it's just
1. Double click on run.bat
2. Enter short password
3. Send coins

I only need short password on the Qora client on my laptop coz seed is secure enough.
In Nxt I need super strong passphrase.

Also having all your Qora in one address does not increase the chance of generating a block.

It seems qora knows the downfalls of nxt very well.
Activity: 617
Merit: 528
Don't forget that the Nxt wallet has had many months to evolve. Qora's is relatively new. It will get better as time progresses.

I like Qora's debug window. Gives me the info I need without having to go into console.

The only criticism I could think of is that the Qora wallet is a bit too minimalistic here and there. But since dev pumped out 6 updates in 13 days I'm not too worried.

Activity: 464
Merit: 260
I also prefer the Qora wallet over NXT.  Of course these current wallet glitches need to get cleaned up, but I personally find it much easier and quicker to use as well.
legendary
Activity: 1806
I am sure that soon qora will appear on bter.com

Thanks for your comment, but we need people to build and promote this coin. So get to work, we are going to make it happen together.

When someone asks "what are the benefits of Qora over NXT" what do you reply?

To be Honest, I don't know. Tell me, because I want to actively help and build Qora. Thank you.

Security. Qora uses a secure seed to regenerate a Wallet + a private key to make sure the wallet is save for everyday use.
Besides that, not much at the moment. Theoretically Qora has varying block speeds to match the current amount transactions being processed. As there are not that much transactions in the net, this feature is dorment at the moment. I think it will lead to Qora being more efficient than NXT in the end. Can't tell for sure at the moment though.

Doesn't Qora also have a smaller transaction fee than NXT?

And much better client. Launching Nxt client takes forever, plus it's web based. Also everybody can access your Nxt account unlike Qora client, so Qora is more secure. Plus fully functioning Naming Service.

Theoretically anyone can access your Qora account as well. If they get the right seed, they have the wallet. But getting the seed is only theoretically possible. Also, the NXT client is not web based. It is browser based, but uses a local host. So no, nothing web based there.

And we should not advertise with the Qora client right now. It's still not stable enough.

If you want to advertise, go for the systematic advantages.

By web I meant browser, my bad.

I only need short password on the Qora client on my laptop coz seed is secure enough.

In Nxt I need super strong passphrase.
legendary

Thanks for your comment, but we need people to build and promote this coin. So get to work, we are going to make it happen together.

To be Honest, I don't know. Tell me, because I want to actively help and build Qora. Thank you.

Security. Qora uses a secure seed to regenerate a Wallet + a private key to make sure the wallet is save for everyday use.
Besides that, not much at the moment. Theoretically Qora has varying block speeds to match the current amount transactions being processed. As there are not that much transactions in the net, this feature is dorment at the moment. I think it will lead to Qora being more efficient than NXT in the end. Can't tell for sure at the moment though.

And much better client. Launching Nxt client takes forever, plus it's web based. Also everybody can access your Nxt account unlike Qora client, so Qora is more secure. Plus fully functioning Naming Service.

I disagree. The NXT wallet is much superior. I guess I don't care much about opening time, cause I keep wallets open most of the time. It could be that NXT is slower cause it has more blocks to d/l.  Also, if the NXT wallet is running on one PC in your house, you can access it from any other PC.

What do you mean, "everybody can access your Nxt account"?

Superior? Well, it's larger for sure. But I want the client to be small and fast. Qora client opens in seconds and sending coins is a joy. It's not a problem to open the client just to send 20 QORA giveaway. In Nxt I'd wait at least several people waiting because I'd have to:
1. Start opening the client and wait for about 1 minute while it's dealing with blocks.
2. Open KeePass/Enter long password
3. Open localhost
4. Copy Nxt passphrase in KeePass
5. Paste Nxt passphrase in the client

It's jusy killing me.

With Qora it's just
1. Double click on run.bat
2. Enter short password
3. Send coins
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
How I got the Qora client working on Mac OSX ver 10.9.3

Hmmmm.. My Mac worked fine at v5, just had connectivity issues. Did you download the lastest v6 and install java 7 update 55 first?

Could you please write an instruction for Mac users?

The best (and only) we have so far is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=522102.msg6771214;topicseen#msg6771214

Don't know if it's helpful. Lots of people asking how to launch Qora on Mac.

The following steps worked for me:

1. Download the latest version, which you find here :
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6771479

2. Unzip it to a suitable directory.

3. Open a terminal window, and Check Java version:
Do whatever it takes to have the proper version installed (beyond this scope)

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ user$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_09"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_09-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode)
4. In terminal window, change to the expanded directory:

Code:
MacBook-Pro:Qora stefan$ ls -la
total 23000
drwxrwxr-x@ 9 user  staff       306 27 May 12:33 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 user  staff       238 27 May 12:33 ..
-rw-rw-r--@ 1 user  staff      6148 27 May 12:33 .DS_Store
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 user  staff  11753032 25 May 23:29 Qora.jar
drwxrwxr-x@ 4 user  staff       136 16 May 15:34 images
drwxrwxr-x@ 3 user  staff       102  2 Apr 13:20 libs
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 user  staff        59 16 May 18:43 run.bat
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 user  staff        71 16 May 15:53 run.sh
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 user  staff        84 25 May 23:10 settings.ini

5. Trying to run the executable , gave an error:

Code:
macroots-MacBook-Pro:Qora user$ ./run.sh
-bash: ./run.sh: Operation not permitted

I checked permissions, that seemed to be OK, even though on Linux Mint, permissions for run.sh needed to be made executable.

6. The following command, as suggested for using in Ubuntu elswhere, ( just leaving out the -disablegui flag) started the client successfully:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6772874

Code:
MacBook-Pro:Qora user$ java -Xmx256m -Djava.library.path=libs/native -jar Qora.jar

That started it started up successfully.

Then look for the wallet start-up dialog window appearing.
Leave the command line terminal window running, of course.
(control-c will terminate the process)

Of course you can edit the run.sh file accordingly, for easy re-starts.

Pentamon
Activity: 196

I disagree. The NXT wallet is much superior. I guess I don't care much about opening time, cause I keep wallets open most of the time. It could be that NXT is slower cause it has more blocks to d/l.  Also, if the NXT wallet is running on one PC in your house, you can access it from any other PC.

NXT has a brainwallet. Whomever knows your passphrase gets to access the account you made. Qora has something similar, but the generated seeds should be secure.

Theoretically anyone can access your Qora account as well. If they get the right seed, they have the wallet. But getting the seed is only theoretically possible. Also, the NXT client is not web based. It is browser based, but uses a local host. So no, nothing web based there.

And we should not advertise with the Qora client right now. It's still not stable enough.

If you want to advertise, go for the systematic advantages.
legendary

legendary

legendary

Jump to: