Author

Topic: [ANN] sgminer v5 - optimized X11/X13/NeoScrypt/Lyra2RE/etc. kernel-switch miner - page 184. (Read 877844 times)

Activity: 547
Merit: 250
unofficial oc is disabled.
So enable ; )
I did confirm by logs and power meter.

Grin read it wrong.. thanks it works now Wink
bullus, why did you shit all over your drivers?  You went from 14.7 down?  Going full retard?
Activity: 294
So enable ; )

Grin read it wrong.. thanks it works now Wink
lbr
Activity: 423
Merit: 254
So enable ; )
lbr
I had just edited my post to explain better, but you ninja'd a fast reply. I tried tons of TC values in my testing. Can't remeber the max I ever tried, but I never hit a memory error that wasn't due to a lack of GPU memory.

Interesting, maybe that happens on 32bit systems/32bit miners?
I personally have not checked mining on *nix at all, cause its not possible to downvolt via software out of the box.
I did compare win and *nix AMD driver dissasembly, tho. And its different ; ) I mean, obviously kernel is different, but also some random ADL logic is different, looks like win AMD driver is more 'optimized'.

Anyway, like with Windows max GPU limit rumours, I think win is not the issue or at least I can't imagine how it could be.
I can actually ; )) hw memory mappings etc.. but if this was the case prly all GPUs would stop working.. not just some random GPUs.
Last night I wanted to undervolt my 290x but it doesn't work..going back to 14.6rc1 and try again.

r9 290 unvervolts fine with 14.7 RC1 July9 via MSI AfterBurner 3.0.0 for me.
But without enabling 'unofficial oc with power play support' AF was not able to change clocks and sgminer launched after AF was not able to change clocks also.

Not working for my asus, even test gpu-tweak. unofficial oc is disabled.
At msi ab I can change the voltage but in the log and powerdraw u don't see any changes.
gpu-tweak does work with the voltage but lower clock settings don't work.

Installed 14.6rc1 and still not working..going back to 14.4
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Oh god... please don't judge linux mining based on the awefully built 32bit BAMT OS running off a flash drive with no swap space...
I'm not judging any OS ; )
Btw, Win runs fine from USB flash stick with no swap space.

Try a real linux install with some swap space and you'll be able to load any size opencl kernel, even with very little free RAM - this is my experience anyway.
Do you have experience with 6xGPUs, 40960 TC, scrypt on *nix?
I have run 6x R9 290s on an ASRock Pro BTC board with 2GB of RAM, and never in my testing did I hit a -4 error. So... yes.
TC?
I had just edited my post to explain better, but you ninja'd a fast reply. I tried tons of TC values in my testing. Can't remeber the max I ever tried, but I never hit a memory error that wasn't due to a lack of GPU memory.
lbr
Oh god... please don't judge linux mining based on the awefully built 32bit BAMT OS running off a flash drive with no swap space...

Try a real linux install with some swap space and you'll be able to load any size opencl kernel, even with very little free RAM - this is my experience anyway.
I have run 6x R9 290s on an ASRock Pro BTC board with 2GB of RAM, and never in my testing did I hit a -4 error. So... yes.
TC?
lbr
Last night I wanted to undervolt my 290x but it doesn't work..going back to 14.6rc1 and try again.

r9 290 unvervolts fine with 14.7 RC1 July9 via MSI AfterBurner 3.0.0 for me.
But without enabling 'unofficial oc with power play support' AF was not able to change clocks and sgminer launched after AF was not able to change clocks also.

I have run 6x R9 290s on an ASRock Pro BTC board with 2GB of RAM, and never in my testing did I hit a memory error that wasn't because of insufficient GPU memory.

(I later moved entirely to 5 card rigs, but that's quite unrelated)
lbr

Glad I'm a linux miner and don't have to worry about system RAM like apparently Windows users do.
Fuck, I KNEW somebody would hit us up with the Linux circlejerk. Grin
"Why don't you just bootstrap your backports blah blah blah" Grin

It's completely understandable, that some ill-educated ppl will blame Win in the first place ; )

In this case it's either ocl or driver or cgminer or OS. Imo it's not OS, cause ppl get the same issue on BAMT https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=13137.msg98983#msg98983
And issue exists with any driver I've seen so far.

lbr
Glad I'm a linux miner and don't have to worry about system RAM like apparently Windows users do.

It's completely understandable, that some ill-educated ppl will blame Win in the first place ; )

In this case it's either ocl or driver or cgminer or OS. Imo it's not OS, cause ppl get the same issue on BAMT https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=13137.msg98983#msg98983
And issue exists with any driver I've seen so far.
Activity: 658
Lol... I deserved that.  But really... if you can, try mining on linux - it's yummy. =p
actually for for running miners i found pimp works fairly well
and its not too difficult to use
Lol... I deserved that.  But really... if you can, try mining on linux - it's yummy. =p
Activity: 547
lbr
Yeah but I think in scrypt it started with the ram in the system then dumped it onto the grafix after it ... at least that is how I understood it back then.

Yep, something like that. But its the same process for any algo(or any OCL program).
The limitation is - OpenCL is not able to load multiple kernels with total size(or with VRAM consumption) more than available system RAM.
Proportion deffo is not 1:1, tho, if it even exists.
OpenCL does not care what kernel does. But since scrypt can use a lot of VRAM issue is more likely to appear.

"4" = CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE, so that's deffo mem issue. However I was not able to pinpoint the issue, since at no point in time system memory usage spikes, my win rigs are using ~900mb of ram with miner running(~750MB win, ~200MB miner). OCL also reports available buffer size the same for rigs with 4GB/8GB RAM. GPU available VRAM obviously is the same. That's why I thought about hardware memory mappings. Tho maybe there is a bug or improper logic in cgminer ; )

And to complicate things, only some ammount of GPUs fail to init not all of them(proportionally to system RAM ammount). If I remember correctly 2 GPUs report -4 with 4GB of system RAM, scrypt and 24000tc and 1 GPU - with 6GB of system RAM.

Also there is something shady going on with maximum available buffer size in AMD OCL driver, f.e. 14.4+ apparently does not take GPU_MAX_ALLOC into account(however there is reference to it in the source code), that's why it sux for scrypt/scrypt-n/any other vram intensive algo.

So in theory you still should be able to start mining with the newer algos with 512mb ram... if you can find it that is lol.

Btw, I've checked with mining x11 with single r9 290 vram usage is 576MB, prly some ammount is being used by win.
So.. likely x11 kernel won't load on win system with 512mb of ram ; )
Activity: 672
Merit: 501

It spits out the error line of:

GPU xxxx failure, disabling!
Error -4 Enqueueing kernel onto command queue.

Mind you this is just one algo, even with the X11 or NST5 algos in the miner this does not work ( well the x11 being the darkcoin-mod )

Maybe its the 1 gig ram?

Okay so I installed 2 more gig of ram... and windows...

I run the sgminer 5.0 before I install VNC and it works just great.

RAM doesn't matter at all (at least on linux, can't say for sure with Windows).  I don't know who started that rumour, but it's bullshit.  I have run all of my rigs on 2GB of ram, and I've never seen any performance loss or inability to mine an algorithm as a result.

Not a BS at least for Win rigs. To reproduce - set large enough TC on a rig with a lot of GPUs, f.e. 6x290 with TC 32768 or 6x7950 with TC 40960/24000. On rigs with less than 8GB?(depends) of RAM some cards will report -4 kernel error. Stick some more ram - issue will go away. Imo that's only for scrypt/scryptn/scrypt-jane(and other memory intensive algos), cause for those algos higher TC means higher GPU RAM usage. Prly thats cause of DMA or maybe OCL or Win maps GPU RAM into system RAM or something like that..
But RAM does not affect performance, only lack of it prevents some GPUs starting up.

The key is the algos you listed... for all the rest like X11 and whatnot, TC does nothing to boost speed one way or another.... in fact I just leave that blank now or dont even put it in.

; )

It's not about the algos it's about memory usage.
All algos use some ammount of GPU memory.
With large TC on scrypt its jsut more 'visible'.
x11 uses ~500mb of GPU RAM as far as I remember.

Yeah but I think in scrypt it started with the ram in the system then dumped it onto the grafix after it ... at least that is how I understood it back then.

So in theory you still should be able to start mining with the newer algos with 512mb ram... if you can find it that is lol.
lbr

It spits out the error line of:

GPU xxxx failure, disabling!
Error -4 Enqueueing kernel onto command queue.

Mind you this is just one algo, even with the X11 or NST5 algos in the miner this does not work ( well the x11 being the darkcoin-mod )

Maybe its the 1 gig ram?

Okay so I installed 2 more gig of ram... and windows...

I run the sgminer 5.0 before I install VNC and it works just great.

RAM doesn't matter at all (at least on linux, can't say for sure with Windows).  I don't know who started that rumour, but it's bullshit.  I have run all of my rigs on 2GB of ram, and I've never seen any performance loss or inability to mine an algorithm as a result.

Not a BS at least for Win rigs. To reproduce - set large enough TC on a rig with a lot of GPUs, f.e. 6x290 with TC 32768 or 6x7950 with TC 40960/24000. On rigs with less than 8GB?(depends) of RAM some cards will report -4 kernel error. Stick some more ram - issue will go away. Imo that's only for scrypt/scryptn/scrypt-jane(and other memory intensive algos), cause for those algos higher TC means higher GPU RAM usage. Prly thats cause of DMA or maybe OCL or Win maps GPU RAM into system RAM or something like that..
But RAM does not affect performance, only lack of it prevents some GPUs starting up.

The key is the algos you listed... for all the rest like X11 and whatnot, TC does nothing to boost speed one way or another.... in fact I just leave that blank now or dont even put it in.

; )

It's not about the algos it's about memory usage.
All algos use some ammount of GPU memory.
With large TC on scrypt its jsut more 'visible'.
x11 uses ~500mb of GPU RAM as far as I remember.
Jump to: