Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 230. (Read 1382194 times)

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 8633
icarus-cards.eu
July 25, 2017, 04:35:31 PM
can i upgrade my 1.2.2 version to the new 1.3 one?

Huh Undecided

... Yes, of course you can:

1 - Close the Sia client completely (if using Windows, find the icon in the system tray and click on close)
2 - Install the v1.3 client replacing the older files with the new ones
3 - Open the client. It will need 10-20 minutes to finish the step "(2/6) Loading consensus" but it is normal

No need to backup your wallet or any other thing: with your recovery seed you will always access your funds. If you are hosting or renting storage you might want to backup your %appdata% folders, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. So far no one is reporting problems with the update

thanks.
sorry for this n00b question Lips sealed Undecided
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
July 25, 2017, 04:31:08 PM

Huh Undecided

... Yes, of course you can:

1 - Close the Sia client completely (if using Windows, find the icon in the system tray and click on close)
2 - Install the v1.3 client replacing the older files with the new ones
3 - Open the client. It will need 10-20 minutes to finish the step "(2/6) Loading consensus" but it is normal

No need to backup your wallet or any other thing: with your recovery seed you will always access your funds. If you are hosting or renting storage you might want to backup your %appdata% folders, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. So far no one is reporting problems with the update
legendary
icarus-cards.eu
July 25, 2017, 04:13:27 PM
July 25, 2017, 03:34:24 PM
It is asking to unlock the wallet now after the install and once entered in the password has been sitting there for the past 20 minutes.
Do not have any coins in there and it says it will take a couple of minutes. Embarrassed

When I upgraded to 1.3 it needed 15 minutes to finally open the client. It happens only the first time after the upgrade. Just leave it more time to scan the blockchain to find out your balance
legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001
July 25, 2017, 02:55:00 PM
Good bit of news above.
But now that my wallet finally synced this morning. For those who care to know it synced at block height #115814  Smiley

Do I need to do this full sync again once the update of 1.3.0 is available?
 Undecided

Nope, don't worry :-) . Once released, just close Sia completely, install the new version and open the client again. The blockchain will be there already synced

For those waiting for v1.3.0, I have a bit of an update.

The testing and fixing of problems has been ongoing with quite a few long standing bugs found.  As of yesterday morning, Taek said that they had found and fixed all the bugs discovered by the group in the #contributor channel.  With that he released an RC8 build for a final round of testing.

Nothing of significance has been discovered since then and I expect he will release the v1.3.0 pretty soon (just my opinion).  It has been a lot longer coming but I think everyone will be surprised in the performance improvements and happy with the reduced number of problems.

Yes, I agree. RC8 looks very stable according to everybody. Even Teak mentioned on Reddit that 1.3 could be finally released this Friday... but let's take it with a pinch of salt. Better a 100% functional version released next week than an early version that has to be patched in the following days

EDIT --> Oh, they just released v1.3 at this precise moment :-)
Okay.
Just downloaded and installing it on top of the one I had.
Now let's see if it takes anytime at all to sync up.
Hope just 10 minutes since I just installed from the links up above. Wink

It is asking to unlock the wallet now after the install and once entered in the password has been sitting there for the past 20 minutes.
Do not have any coins in there and it says it will take a couple of minutes. Embarrassed
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
July 25, 2017, 12:55:29 PM
From Taek on Slack:

v1.3.0 is here!

Please see the release notes for a full list of changes. Highlights include greatly improved stability, including better transaction propagation, the ability to restore redundancy without having the file locally, and lots of general bugfixes. We have made more than 500 commits since v1.2.2 spanning thousands of lines of new code, and thousands of lines of new tests.

Sia API: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v1.3.0
Sia UI: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v1.3.0
legendary
icarus-cards.eu
July 25, 2017, 12:55:06 PM
Capricorn 1.3.0 is out!

July 25, 2017, 12:42:10 PM
Good bit of news above.
But now that my wallet finally synced this morning. For those who care to know it synced at block height #115814  Smiley

Undecided

Nope, don't worry :-) . Once released, just close Sia completely, install the new version and open the client again. The blockchain will be there already synced

The testing and fixing of problems has been ongoing with quite a few long standing bugs found.  As of yesterday morning, Taek said that they had found and fixed all the bugs discovered by the group in the #contributor channel.  With that he released an RC8 build for a final round of testing.

Nothing of significance has been discovered since then and I expect he will release the v1.3.0 pretty soon (just my opinion).  It has been a lot longer coming but I think everyone will be surprised in the performance improvements and happy with the reduced number of problems.

Yes, I agree. RC8 looks very stable according to everybody. Even Teak mentioned on Reddit that 1.3 could be finally released this Friday... but let's take it with a pinch of salt. Better a 100% functional version released next week than an early version that has to be patched in the following days

EDIT --> Oh, they just released v1.3 at this precise moment :-)
legendary
July 25, 2017, 11:28:50 AM
Good bit of news above.
But now that my wallet finally synced this morning. For those who care to know it synced at block height #115814  Smiley

Undecided
Activity: 93
July 25, 2017, 10:16:55 AM

The testing and fixing of problems has been ongoing with quite a few long standing bugs found.  As of yesterday morning, Taek said that they had found and fixed all the bugs discovered by the group in the #contributor channel.  With that he released an RC8 build for a final round of testing.

Nothing of significance has been discovered since then and I expect he will release the v1.3.0 pretty soon (just my opinion).  It has been a lot longer coming but I think everyone will be surprised in the performance improvements and happy with the reduced number of problems.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
July 25, 2017, 06:15:41 AM
I've noticed that SIA ASICs sales slowed down a lot. Right now 1200/4000. I feel like miners are a bit uncertain about profits and SIA price. Ordering an ASIC is always a risk though...
Activity: 714
Merit: 253
July 24, 2017, 02:03:32 PM
SIA is a valid project.
Hope continue growing and get updated, maybe with more anonymous coin sending features.
It can grown a lot!

Goo SIA !!!!  Wink

The maximum capitalization was at SIA almost $ 600 million and the price is almost 900 satok. Not bad so she sank.
legendary
July 24, 2017, 01:57:23 PM
Can anyone tell me what the blockheight is at now currently?

At this precise moment we are at block #115,239. Last blocks, starting at 100.000, take very long as they were almost full (it is when Sia gained a lot of visibility)

If you ever need to sync again, or you are a new user, I strongly encourage you to manually download the consensus file ("bootstrapping") instead of leaving the client to do it automatically: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain

Can I actually sell my disk space already using Siacoin of this is all only in preparation stage???

"Selling" your free disk space has been a feature available since Day 1

Almost there now.
At 113032 now.
Has to shut off the pc over the weekend since I was not home.

So it should be another day to fully sync.
Boy it does take along time on old linux box. lol! Wink
Activity: 98
July 24, 2017, 01:30:31 PM
SIA is a valid project.
Hope continue growing and get updated, maybe with more anonymous coin sending features.
It can grown a lot!

Goo SIA !!!!  Wink
legendary
icarus-cards.eu
July 24, 2017, 01:15:12 PM
Sia about to break 400 sats Smiley

410 sats at the moment Grin
A good increase from the bottom at 263 sats 11. July

i hope we can reach the 600sats in the next days.
than i'm +/- 0  Grin
Activity: 275
Merit: 101
July 24, 2017, 01:02:42 PM

Hope we will get some resistance today to hold 400 till tomorrow

yesss ... I love SIA
Activity: 77
July 24, 2017, 11:48:13 AM

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080
July 24, 2017, 11:01:47 AM
July 24, 2017, 09:07:23 AM
Hello my friend
Is there a solution to the sync problem?
Wallet operated sync since 5 days
Thank

It is not a "problem" by itself, it just takes very long time to validate each block on the blockchain. If you use a SSD instead of a HDD it will take less than one day in total. Also, once version 1.3 is finally released the initial sync time will be greatly reduced.

As you have been syncing for 5 days I would just leave it a bit more of time to finish. There is an alternative solution, called "bootstapping": you download the blockchain file (consensus.db) from a reliable source so once you open again the client it just have to validate the chain, but not download it. It still will require several hours or even a full day, but it is less time than downloading the blockchain from the scratch. Follow these instructions: https://siawiki.tech/daemon/bootstrapping_the_blockchain
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
July 24, 2017, 03:46:22 AM
Hello my friend
Is there a solution to the sync problem?
Wallet operated sync since 5 days
Thank
Jump to: