Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 229. (Read 1382194 times)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
July 28, 2017, 05:37:31 PM
Guys tell please, i load old 0.3.3 wallet with command "siac wallet load 033x" and see all transaction, but balance is 0.
Activity: 476
Merit: 259
July 28, 2017, 10:15:29 AM
Why am I not surprised? in order to host files and earn money I'd need to have 2000 tokens in my wallet, this is like steemit, have some steem to have power when you up vote people and then earn money, no thanks.
Ofcrouse u would have to.
It's a kind of collateral, in order to be a part of the network you have to invest in the network, it is also helps to prevent attacks by nodes, which will keep out from attacking because they have a collateral to lose.
SC is pretty cheap now and 2000 tokens worth less then 2$, can't see a reason why someone who wants to earn from hosting files will give up on it just because he has to have a small collateral
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
July 28, 2017, 10:04:08 AM
Do you leave your computer on all the time? What about the cost of electricity? What happens if your hard drive crashes and you lose their files? Do you lose the tokens from your collateral? I have a junk pc set up that I don't use, perhaps I should use it for this.

- Yes, you need to leave it on 24/7. Hosts need to fulfill Proofs of Storage over the course of the contract. If they don't (uptime of 97%) they lose both the potential earnings of the contract and the collateral put on that contract

- If done properly, electricity costs can be negligible (under 50Watts). Consider low TDP CPUs, 5.4k rpm instead of 7.2k rpm disks...

- If it crashes and you lose the data, you miss the Proofs of Storage and so you lose the contract and the collateral. If you have a multi-disk setup, using some RAID redundancy is a great idea to prevent data loss
Activity: 1540
Merit: 500
July 28, 2017, 08:15:57 AM
Is it still lucrative to "mine" Sia by providing disk space? How much will I need in order to make good revenues?

Offering your disk space is called "hosting" or "farming" (In opposition to "mining"). You set up your own pricing, but you have to be competitive in order to get file contracts. Top hosts target to $1-2/Tb/month.

If have access to cheap HDDs, under certain scales and setups you could make ROI in less than a year. Right now the network is still underused, but the usage is growing fast, so probably in half year or 1 year good hosts will be able to host dozens of Terabytes an be profitable. Of course you'll still need cheap hardware (24/7 server-like infrastructure) and good bandwidth. But the advantages, compared to mining, is that electricity costs are minimal and there is not a increase in difficulty over time: if you remain competitive, you keep getting contracts

Do you leave your computer on all the time? What about the cost of electricity? What happens if your hard drive crashes and you lose their files? Do you lose the tokens from your collateral? I have a junk pc set up that I don't use, perhaps I should use it for this.
Activity: 413
Merit: 250
July 28, 2017, 07:57:28 AM
Why am I not surprised? in order to host files and earn money I'd need to have 2000 tokens in my wallet, this is like steemit, have some steem to have power when you up vote people and then earn money, no thanks.

Uh.... yea you have to have SC in your wallet in order to host files for others. The SC in your wallet becomes collateral so if you have a shit computer/connection and the files are never online then you lose your collateral. You dont just earn SC for nothing.

If you didnt have to provide collateral to host files then the whole network would be garbage and you wouldnt be able to access your files when you need to.

Bingo!
Activity: 275
Merit: 101
July 28, 2017, 06:56:19 AM
Siacoin's deposite and withdraws freezed on Poloniex?

"SC is currently under maintenance or experiencing wallet/network issues. Deposits and withdrawals will remain disabled until a solution is found, which may require an update from the SC team. Any updates must be tested and audited before enabling."

Why?

How long is it freezed
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080
July 27, 2017, 06:44:26 PM

Uh.... yea you have to have SC in your wallet in order to host files for others. The SC in your wallet becomes collateral so if you have a shit computer/connection and the files are never online then you lose your collateral. You dont just earn SC for nothing.

If you didnt have to provide collateral to host files then the whole network would be garbage and you wouldnt be able to access your files when you need to.
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
July 27, 2017, 05:03:02 PM
Activity: 1299
Merit: 502
July 27, 2017, 02:22:30 PM
Yes be sure when you close your wallet to allow a few moment before restarting it...
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
July 27, 2017, 01:56:03 PM
Started the program and received an error log telling me to restart the slad.

I have seen this issue encountered by others on the reddit blog about this new release.

This often happens when you close the client and immediately try to reopen it.  Basically the old daemon is still running (shutting down) and you try to start the new one.  This fails and tells you to restart the daemon.

It sometimes takes a while to shutdown and the only way to tell is to see if siad is still running.  If it is, best to probably just wait, although I have been known to kill the process if it takes too long.  Doesn't seem to hurt but your mileage may vary.
legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001
July 27, 2017, 09:41:46 AM
OKay I saw the problem.
Since I didn't delete the previous verison I was starting the old version of 1.1.1 program. I thought I overwrote all the old files but it installed into the root directory instead.
No big problem but now started using the correct program labelled 1.3.0 now instead and all is good.

Started the program and received an error log telling me to restart the slad.

I have seen this issue encountered by others on the reddit blog about this new release.
So will just follow instructions from there from now on.
Thank you community in any advise given to me here.

Kind regards,

dashingriddler
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
July 27, 2017, 09:36:42 AM
From Taek on Slack:

v1.3.0 is here!

Please see the release notes for a full list of changes. Highlights include greatly improved stability, including better transaction propagation, the ability to restore redundancy without having the file locally, and lots of general bugfixes. We have made more than 500 commits since v1.2.2 spanning thousands of lines of new code, and thousands of lines of new tests.

Sia API: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v1.3.0
Sia UI: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v1.3.0

Great news for the project and thanks for update. Coders are doing a good job!
legendary
July 26, 2017, 12:27:38 PM
If you were upgrading from 1.1.1 (and not 1.2.x) then it is normal it takes a very long time (even several hours) as the client is going to re-scan the whole blockchain to find out the funds you have in the wallet

It can be much longer if you were hosting.  They changed the they manage storage space in the 1.2 upgrade, so if you were hosting, I have heard of people taking 48hrs to upgrade - especially if you were using HDD, rather the SSD.

Also I have found that when you shutdown the client to upgrade, it may take a few minutes for the said process to actually stop.  When you try to start the new client/daemon, it will complain it is already running.

In both cases, the answer is patience, although 48 hours is a lot of patience. Smiley

Alright. I think it is near completion.
Let it run for more than 4 hours just now and it only asked me for the password once then it shut itself down a couple of times. Now it is restarted and still syncing now at block #115975 which I think is almost completely synced after a week now.

But it is still showing v1.1.1 after all of those restarts. Embarrassed

Okay it just completed syncing at #115976  Cheesy

It asked me for the password when I clicked on the wallet tab and now back to unlocking your wallet again. Undecided

Hope it doesn't do this for another 6 hours like yesterday and still not showing the new version showing up.

Joined the slack channel just now
so will continue my progression on getting this upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.3.1 the latest update on there for anymore problems I encounter.
Thank you!

dashingriddler
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 08:04:53 AM
If you were upgrading from 1.1.1 (and not 1.2.x) then it is normal it takes a very long time (even several hours) as the client is going to re-scan the whole blockchain to find out the funds you have in the wallet

It can be much longer if you were hosting.  They changed the they manage storage space in the 1.2 upgrade, so if you were hosting, I have heard of people taking 48hrs to upgrade - especially if you were using HDD, rather the SSD.

Also I have found that when you shutdown the client to upgrade, it may take a few minutes for the said process to actually stop.  When you try to start the new client/daemon, it will complain it is already running.

In both cases, the answer is patience, although 48 hours is a lot of patience. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 8633
icarus-cards.eu
July 26, 2017, 02:19:08 AM
This project is quite cool.  I am new, but looking forward to joining the community.  If anyone has any advice, I am open to any help.

Thanks,
Huck

In any case, a good decision. Only the nerves do not lose when the course goes down a few days.
You are already in the possession of some coins?

can i upgrade my 1.2.2 version to the new 1.3 one?

Huh Undecided

... Yes, of course you can:

1 - Close the Sia client completely (if using Windows, find the icon in the system tray and click on close)
2 - Install the v1.3 client replacing the older files with the new ones
3 - Open the client. It will need 10-20 minutes to finish the step "(2/6) Loading consensus" but it is normal

No need to backup your wallet or any other thing: with your recovery seed you will always access your funds. If you are hosting or renting storage you might want to backup your %appdata% folders, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. So far no one is reporting problems with the update
It just finished syncing from an upgrade from 1.1.1 all the way to 1.3.1 so I am thinking this is why it took so long to finish unlocking my wallet since it was syncing and doing all these processes you posted it is doing in this new update to the wallet.

But it still says v 1.1.1 when i go to the about tab.
Will close it down and hope for the best in seeing it say 1.3.1 after it does what it needs to do after the upgrade completion was done over 2 hours ago.

On a side note. It did stop the slad process on it's own.

Edit: Now it is asking me for my wallet password again. Undecided

follow the 3 points in hakkane's post.
works fine for me now!
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Ⓚ Kore Projects CTO Ⓚ
July 26, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
This project is quite cool.  I am new, but looking forward to joining the community.  If anyone has any advice, I am open to any help.

Thanks,
Huck
July 25, 2017, 06:37:12 PM
Well since the upgrade it has asked me for the password four times now and I enter it in to unlock the wallet then it goes back to saying "Unlocking your wallet, this may take a while (up to several minutes)..."

Still going...

Most probably the siad.exe process is doing the unlocking behind the scenes even if the UI "crashes" and asks you again for the seed.

If you want a bit more of feedback of what is going on, use a command line interface. In the Sia folder, find a subfolder where siad.exe and siac.exe are located. Close the UI and open 2 command lines:

- In the first one type "siad.exe" It will show here the progress of the unlocking (the block it has processed so far)
- In the second one you can type commands, like "siac wallet unlock" to request the wallet unlocking
legendary
July 25, 2017, 06:31:35 PM
It just finished syncing from an upgrade from 1.1.1 all the way to 1.3.1 so I am thinking this is why it took so long to finish unlocking my wallet since it was syncing and doing all these processes you posted it is doing in this new update to the wallet.

Will close it down and hope for the best in seeing it say 1.3.1 after it does what it needs to do after the upgrade completion was done over 2 hours ago.

Sia is always going to ask you the password (seed) every time you open the client. It is normal
Well since the upgrade it has asked me for the password four times now and I enter it in to unlock the wallet then it goes back to saying "Unlocking your wallet, this may take a while (up to several minutes)..."

Still going...
July 25, 2017, 06:16:37 PM

Sia is always going to ask you the password (seed) every time you open the client. It is normal
legendary
July 25, 2017, 05:25:11 PM
can i upgrade my 1.2.2 version to the new 1.3 one?

Huh Undecided

... Yes, of course you can:

1 - Close the Sia client completely (if using Windows, find the icon in the system tray and click on close)
2 - Install the v1.3 client replacing the older files with the new ones
3 - Open the client. It will need 10-20 minutes to finish the step "(2/6) Loading consensus" but it is normal

No need to backup your wallet or any other thing: with your recovery seed you will always access your funds. If you are hosting or renting storage you might want to backup your %appdata% folders, but it shouldn't be necessary at all. So far no one is reporting problems with the update

Jump to: