Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 341. (Read 1382191 times)

legendary
Activity: 2087
Merit: 1015
April 08, 2016, 03:51:47 PM
Thanks @bitspill.

Based on your advice to date and what I've otherwise read/guessed, this should be the sequence of steps:

1. Back up old wallet folder

2. Back up old consensus folder

3. Download and install the new client

4. Open the new client and create new wallet (I'm assuming the same thing will happen on opening 0.5.2 as did for 0.5.1 – i.e. automatic generation of a new password/wallet)

5. Close the client

6. Replace the new wallet folder with the old wallet folder

7. Replace the new consensus folder with the old consensus folder

8. Open the new client again and old balance from previous wallet will appear.

Is that correct?

Thanks for your further help  Smiley

Yes, except you can skip step 4. since you're copying over the old wallet no need to create one just to throw it away
Activity: 218
Merit: 11
April 08, 2016, 11:33:52 AM
decentralised storage is excellent!

can we make the storage for website? so we can sell the storage to let people establish websites on our cloud, it would be cheap and safe.
M4z
Activity: 59
Merit: 1
April 08, 2016, 10:56:47 AM
SIA is back guys! Now let's push it to the limit, put your saving on SIA, you'll not regret :')
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
April 08, 2016, 10:52:52 AM
Thanks @bitspill.

Based on your advice to date and what I've otherwise read/guessed, this should be the sequence of steps:

1. Back up old wallet folder

2. Back up old consensus folder

3. Download and install the new client

4. Open the new client and create new wallet (I'm assuming the same thing will happen on opening 0.5.2 as did for 0.5.1 – i.e. automatic generation of a new password/wallet)

5. Close the client

6. Replace the new wallet folder with the old wallet folder

7. Replace the new consensus folder with the old consensus folder

8. Open the new client again and old balance from previous wallet will appear.

Is that correct?

Thanks for your further help  Smiley
legendary
April 07, 2016, 10:27:14 PM
Is there a developer issued/approved 'fool proof' guide to upgrading the wallet to 0.5.2?

(I'm currently running 0.5.1.)

Thanks Smiley

Backup everything.
Download new version.
Drop new files over old files.
Huh
Profit.

Thanks - specifically, the renter, miner and wallet folders?

Or, given that I haven't been hosting or renting, would it be ok just to copy across the existing wallet folder to the new location?

Presumably, having copied over (at least) the old wallet folder, the new wallet will have the same password as before or will I be prompted to save a new password?

Apologies for asking basic questions and thanks for any further help.

If you have a wallet backup wallet folder
If you have uploaded anything backup your renter folder
If you have announced yourself has a host backup your host folder
If you don't want to resync from zero backup your consensus folder
The miner and gateway folders contain basic files which can/will be regenerated

If you copy over your old wallet then the password will be unchanged

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it's better safe than sorry.
Activity: 690
April 07, 2016, 07:59:03 PM

That is the latest one put out by Nebulous Labs, but here is another public release that is optimized for Sia 0.5.1:

https://github.com/robvanmieghem/gominer/releases/tag/v0.2

You may want to try both out.

Can it be compiled on Windows or is it Linux-only?
Activity: 577
April 07, 2016, 05:59:30 PM
Is there a developer issued/approved 'fool proof' guide to upgrading the wallet to 0.5.2?

(I'm currently running 0.5.1.)

Thanks Smiley

Backup everything.
Download new version.
Drop new files over old files.
Huh
Profit.

Thanks - specifically, the renter, miner and wallet folders?

Or, given that I haven't been hosting or renting, would it be ok just to copy across the existing wallet folder to the new location?

Presumably, having copied over (at least) the old wallet folder, the new wallet will have the same password as before or will I be prompted to save a new password?

Apologies for asking basic questions and thanks for any further help.
legendary
Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010
April 07, 2016, 05:06:02 PM
SIA market on Cryptomic now - https://www.cryptomic.com/trade?c=SC&p=BTC
legendary
April 07, 2016, 02:28:44 PM
Thank you, but where do you get a siafund file?  Where can I buy siafunds and how much do they cost?

Only the people who initially bought siafunds in the crowd-sale or on Nxt AE have the siafund files which contain the siafunds they bought. Now you can buy siafunds from those initial siafund buyers. They can transfer the siafunds into your wallet directly. Your wallet can take both siacoins and siafunds. You can go to the trading channel on Sia slack to ask if anyone wants to sell you some siafunds. I saw one person who was selling his/her siafunds there before.

how much do they cost?
From the Slack #siafund channel:

@cryptoscalper
thanks for the mentions, folks!  :simple_smile:
i had an idea...  changing my Ask slightly while i continue my experiment
*WTS 4 Siafunds for 20M SIA*
only good if all 4 are purchased and for as long as SIA is trading above 20 sats
below 20 sats the Ask is automatically back to:  WTS 4 Siafunds - 10M SIA per Siafund  :simple_smile:
Activity: 763
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
April 07, 2016, 11:49:32 AM
Is there a working block explorer anywhere?
legendary
April 07, 2016, 11:37:48 AM
Thank you, but where do you get a siafund file?  Where can I buy siafunds and how much do they cost?

Only the people who initially bought siafunds in the crowd-sale or on Nxt AE have the siafund files which contain the siafunds they bought. Now you can buy siafunds from those initial siafund buyers. They can transfer the siafunds into your wallet directly. Your wallet can take both siacoins and siafunds. You can go to the trading channel on Sia slack to ask if anyone wants to sell you some siafunds. I saw one person who was selling his/her siafunds there before.

how much do they cost?
April 07, 2016, 11:15:38 AM

legendary
April 07, 2016, 10:30:15 AM
Is there a way to import sia funds yet and access siacoin they earn?
Has anyone got step-by step instruction on how to do?

V0.5.2 supports the import of the siafund files. After you create your wallet in the client, you can upload your siafund file by using one of the options in your wallet. But I have not tried it myself yet.

Thank you, but where do you get a siafund file?  Where can I buy siafunds and how much do they cost?
April 07, 2016, 10:15:11 AM

V0.5.2 supports the import of the siafund files. After you create your wallet in the client, you can upload your siafund file by using one of the options in your wallet. But I have not tried it myself yet.
legendary
April 07, 2016, 05:42:46 AM

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
April 07, 2016, 12:38:06 AM
anyone renting storage on SIA network?

I want to offer 1TB, can someone give me some pointers?
I would like to know about this too.

It may be as simple as point and click for you, but you can take a look at the notes here:

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia

There is a troubleshooting guide and a link to the slack channel should you need further help setting up.

what estimate for return on 1TB per month? has anyone crunched some numbers?

No, haven't crunched the numbers. It fluctuates. The wallet should give you an estimate. Did last I checked at least.

Edit: I can tell you that the return is probably small right now. If you want a substantial stake in SC, buying at the exchange and mining are your best bet. Most hosts are supporting Sia by beta testing.
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523
April 06, 2016, 09:47:45 PM

It may be as simple as point and click for you, but you can take a look at the notes here:

There is a troubleshooting guide and a link to the slack channel should you need further help setting up.

what estimate for return on 1TB per month? has anyone crunched some numbers?
April 06, 2016, 09:37:34 PM
What is current block number? I've transferred some coins to my wallet but they haven't showed up, also is there a block explorer I can check balance on? Thanks.

http://explorestaging.sia.tech
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
April 06, 2016, 01:26:12 PM

Jump to: