Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 359. (Read 1382191 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
February 03, 2016, 11:48:22 PM
Why is there so much sell pressure, and so little buy pressure?  Huh
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
February 03, 2016, 07:02:54 PM
Can't believe I misses this innovative coin for almost 1 year.
Trying to read your code now. Wow you're really doing from scratch, TacoByte? Respect, man.

Place my buy order immediately @ poloniex after reading a few lines Smiley
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
February 03, 2016, 04:15:40 PM
Checking Out Sia, a Blockchain-based Cloud Data Storage Service
We are continuing our recent look into blockchain-based storage services such as Storj and crypto coins that are mineable with HDD such as Burst with another similar service that is more like Storj and Burst combined into one – the Sia. This project offers users to store files in the cloud using other users’ free disk space and people with free disk space to earn something extra by providing it to the network. Sia uses SiaCoin, a crypto currency token that is used for getting contracts to store your files as well as to get paid for sharing your free disk space...
http://www.cryptocoinupdates.com/checking-out-sia-a-blockchain-based-cloud-data-storage-service/

Tnx for writing this. I left some comments :-)
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
February 01, 2016, 06:55:21 PM
When you charge more, you will receive fewer contracts. Still, with the small number of active hosts, I think you could charge close to the max and still get a good number of contracts. Its a bit of an unknown game at the moment. I would experiment with different rates. Change the rate every few days, monitor how many new contracts you're getting and figure out the best (i..e most profitable) rate that way.
There needs to be a way to adjust the price according to the exchange rate. If you want a proper fluid, liquid market that is truely efficient and economical for both renters and hosts, you need a way for the host to automatically follow the bid/asks and tailor the charges to the market. And then one day we can get a derivative/ETF for Sia hosting...

The next Sia thread on here should have "HD FARMING" in the title, that will grab a lot of attention. Smiley

This should be quite simple to set-up.

Grab the exchange rate from http://siapulse.com/page/api, and update the host through the Sia API with /host[POST].

Could be implemented as a plugin, or just a shell script.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
February 01, 2016, 05:33:21 PM
When you charge more, you will receive fewer contracts. Still, with the small number of active hosts, I think you could charge close to the max and still get a good number of contracts. Its a bit of an unknown game at the moment. I would experiment with different rates. Change the rate every few days, monitor how many new contracts you're getting and figure out the best (i..e most profitable) rate that way.
There needs to be a way to adjust the price according to the exchange rate. If you want a proper fluid, liquid market that is truely efficient and economical for both renters and hosts, you need a way for the host to automatically follow the bid/asks and tailor the charges to the market. And then one day we can get a derivative/ETF for Sia hosting...

The next Sia thread on here should have "HD FARMING" in the title, that will grab a lot of attention. Smiley
February 01, 2016, 02:51:08 PM
Next noob question.

Is it ok to just MOVE the installation of SAI from 1 drive to another? I am wanting to increase my offering substantially, however it is currently on a drive that cannot accommodate the space I want to allocate. Do I just stop all the services and apps, then move it to desired location restart the app and increase the allocated space?

Yes, you can just move the entire installation directory. Close Sia first though. Oh, and you can also symlink just the host directory if you wanted to. Or, you can run siad with the --sia-directory parameter (see siad help).

Moved and back running. Updated to a 3TB offering now :-)

Cool! Now is a good time to offer up more space. Smaller hosts start to fill up and there's a been a big increase in activity on the network lately. Prices have gone up as well. So, i seems a good time to make some extra bucks by hosting up more space. I think I'll jack my host up to 5 TB as well.

So what is the best way to come up with a price? If you click on the FILES portion of the client, it lists storage currently at 182.81s / GB/month. is that a good way to guestimate how much to charge for contracts?

The price listed on the File page takes into account x6 redundancy. Hosts, on average, actually charge just a 6th of that. Still, host charges vary a lot. Some charge as little as 3 SC/GB/Mo, some as much as 500 SC/GB/Mo. The absolute max is 500 SC; the Sia client will refuse to make contracts above this price.

See http://siapulse.com/page/network or query Sia with
Code:
siac hostdb
to see the current prices charged by Hosts.

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
February 01, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
Next noob question.

Is it ok to just MOVE the installation of SAI from 1 drive to another? I am wanting to increase my offering substantially, however it is currently on a drive that cannot accommodate the space I want to allocate. Do I just stop all the services and apps, then move it to desired location restart the app and increase the allocated space?

Yes, you can just move the entire installation directory. Close Sia first though. Oh, and you can also symlink just the host directory if you wanted to. Or, you can run siad with the --sia-directory parameter (see siad help).

Cool! Now is a good time to offer up more space. Smaller hosts start to fill up and there's a been a big increase in activity on the network lately. Prices have gone up as well. So, i seems a good time to make some extra bucks by hosting up more space. I think I'll jack my host up to 5 TB as well.

So what is the best way to come up with a price? If you click on the FILES portion of the client, it lists storage currently at 182.81s / GB/month. is that a good way to guestimate how much to charge for contracts?
February 01, 2016, 01:50:22 PM
Next noob question.

February 01, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
Next noob question.

February 01, 2016, 12:36:10 PM
Next noob question.

February 01, 2016, 12:35:04 PM
So IIUC a file gets split up and stored in many places, with each small part stored in many places. So...the fee gets split up between all the hosts?

Correct. There is also a redundancy on top of it all (x6 I think). Each file is split into 24 pieces x 6, so 144 pieced in total distributed across 24 hosts at minimum. Hosts are selected based on price (cheapest have the highest probability of being selected).
February 01, 2016, 12:33:29 PM
The important thing as a host is to remember to keep your host turned on. If renters cannot verify you still have the files at the end of the contract period (because your machine is turned off), you will not receive the coins! In that case, the coins are refunded to the renter. Oh, and keep your wallet unlocked too!
What if there is a power outage where you live?

Power outages are usually short (hours) and should not be a problem. Persistent downtime each day is a problem.

But, if you have a power outage at the exact time renters check your host for files, you may be out of luck (for just those files, mind you).
February 01, 2016, 10:59:12 AM
Next noob question.

legendary
Activity: 1190
February 01, 2016, 05:22:42 AM
So IIUC a file gets split up and stored in many places, with each small part stored in many places. So...the fee gets split up between all the hosts?
legendary
Activity: 1190
February 01, 2016, 05:19:38 AM

The important thing as a host is to remember to keep your host turned on. If renters cannot verify you still have the files at the end of the contract period (because your machine is turned off), you will not receive the coins! In that case, the coins are refunded to the renter. Oh, and keep your wallet unlocked too!
What if there is a power outage where you live?
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
February 01, 2016, 02:33:03 AM
Is a public IP required to be a host for files?

Yes, you are identified on the network by your IP and it should be static too. If you change your IP, uploaders won't be able to confirm file contracts later and you will not be paid for used storage. Alternatively, use DynDNS and announce your host with a domain name.

Taek mention on Slack recently this may change in the future.
Arrgghhh, I didnt realise that... Cant you just use the wallet address as the identifier?

The developers have a plan for how to identify hosts. But for now, its all based on your IP which ideally should not change if you're a host.
I have a problem, I use a Synology DDNS (it's free) but my router can't accept that (Lynksys ea6900).  Is there a way to configure the sia app with the Synology DDNS, if not I have to stop hosting until there is a Synology app or until hosting doesn't need a static IP.

Not sure if I follow. Does the DDNS work for your Synology box? If so, I assume the IP is the same for the Synology box and the computer running Sia. Or, the Synology DDNS does not work at all, even for your Synology box?

Yes the DDNS works for the Synology box and the Sia machine is behind the same router, but the router isnt configured with the DDNS so Im assuming the Sia machine will not be accessible with the Synology DDNS.  Perhaps I dont understand how it works properly, I know it keeps the routing tables updated that ABCD.synology.me = 2.86.1.54 but I didnt know it could do the reverse 6 weeks later.  I guess lets see if I get paid.
January 31, 2016, 09:09:00 PM
I have received several contracts over the past few days. As it currently stands, I have 288 contracts for 5.04GB. I am showed the amount to be earned, however, nothing has actually been earned, as its still at 0. How long does it take to actually start receiving the coins? Again i've had contracts for several days now, I figured some would have started trickling in by now.

You only receive the coins when the file contracts expire. Renters pay when they upload, but hosts only get paid if they store the file for the agreed amount of time.

The default period is 6,000 blocks I think, which is about 6 weeks. So, you should start seeing coins transferring to your wallet about 6 weeks after you first started hosting files.

Renters that upload through the API are free to set their own contract period (I have mine default to 2,000 blocks, which is about 2 weeks).

Do renters have the ability to end the contract before its up ? And if so how does that change payment ?

No at present. The file contract is set for a fixed period and cannot be changed.

January 31, 2016, 09:08:18 PM
The developers have a plan for how to identify hosts. But for now, its all based on your IP which ideally should not change if you're a host.

Does a renter need an IP address to upload and store and retrieve the files?

A fixed IP? No.
January 31, 2016, 08:47:26 PM
I have received several contracts over the past few days. As it currently stands, I have 288 contracts for 5.04GB. I am showed the amount to be earned, however, nothing has actually been earned, as its still at 0. How long does it take to actually start receiving the coins? Again i've had contracts for several days now, I figured some would have started trickling in by now.

You only receive the coins when the file contracts expire. Renters pay when they upload, but hosts only get paid if they store the file for the agreed amount of time.

The default period is 6,000 blocks I think, which is about 6 weeks. So, you should start seeing coins transferring to your wallet about 6 weeks after you first started hosting files.

Renters that upload through the API are free to set their own contract period (I have mine default to 2,000 blocks, which is about 2 weeks).

Do renters have the ability to end the contract before its up ? And if so how does that change payment ?
Activity: 94
January 31, 2016, 07:47:50 PM

Does a renter need an IP address to upload and store and retrieve the files?
Jump to: