Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 361. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
January 29, 2016, 08:00:50 PM
2. If I become a host and rent space how can i prevent from hosting/storing something like CP.
Im guessing the files are encrypted so I would not know what Im hosting/storing, right? And what if the law got involved. Could they decrypt the files and would I get blamed for storing them?
EDIT: Or this is the protection?
This is done many, many times for each file as its cut into little pieces that are spread across multiple (20+ hosts).

There is no way for you to know *what* you are hosting.

Files are encrypted before they are uploaded to hosts. Each host receives only a small part of a file. So, although you may be hosting parts of an illegal file you will never be hosting it in its entirety and certainly never with any knowledge.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
January 29, 2016, 07:35:34 PM
This service sends the Sia to me or the hosts? http://nethut.no/page/cart?action=update&item=&id=20384&qty=1

I am affiliated with that site. You will be contacted and Siacoins sent to your wallet address. If you buy with bitcoins, it will be cheaper to buy on Poloniex, mind you.

Understood. How long does the process usually take?
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
January 29, 2016, 07:13:00 PM
This service sends the Sia to me or the hosts? http://nethut.no/page/cart?action=update&item=&id=20384&qty=1

I am affiliated with that site. You will be contacted and Siacoins sent to your wallet address. If you buy with bitcoins, it will be cheaper to buy on Poloniex, mind you.
January 29, 2016, 07:06:07 PM
The exact price is unknown as hosts are picked at random. Though, cheaper hosts are selected with higher probability. The price is always set in Siacoins, regardless of its price on the exchanges.
So I would not know exactly how many Sia Id be paying? The system approximates the total cost before I agree to the deal?

Currently, Sia does not inform you about the exact price. What happens is this:

Sia contacts available hosts and asks for price
If price is ok, and host is available, a file contract is negotiated
The file contract is noted on the blockchain and Siacoins go out of your wallet
Uploading starts

This is done many, many times for each file as its cut into little pieces that are spread across multiple (20+ hosts).

Think of the estimated price as an average; eventually with enough uploads you'll converge towards this average price although sometimes you'll pay less and sometimes more than the estimated price.

Hope that makes sense

ok great and finally for today:

1. This service sends the Sia to me or the people Im renting from? http://nethut.no/page/cart?action=update&item=&id=20384&qty=1

2. If I become a host and rent space how can i prevent from hosting/storing something like CP.
Im guessing the files are encrypted so I would not know what Im hosting/storing, right? And what if the law got involved. Could they decrypt the files and would I get blamed for storing them?

Im considering renting space but am a little concerned about this issue.

thanks for your replies

EDIT: Or this is the protection?

January 29, 2016, 06:59:43 PM
2. How much Sia does it cost to download 10MB of data?

Downloads are currently free, but that might change in the future.

3. How much Sia do I receive for storing 10MB of data for 60 days?

That depends on 1) the price you set and 2) the number of storage contracts.

Generally, the cheaper you are the more contracts you will receive. Its a trade-off. I'm not sure if anyone has worked out a golden formula yet to maximize earnings.

4. If I rent 1GB of space for 30days how many Sia will I pay?

Again, look on the Files page in your wallet. It will tell you the price right there.

5. And can I extend the rental by paying more before the term expires

Files uploaded via the UI are auto-renewed. Your wallet needs to be unlocked for this to work though.

6. Is there a price list, and how will the fluctuation in the price of Sia be reflected in the cost of storage?

Fluctuations in the exchange rate of SC-BTC will only be reflected in the storage price to the extent that hosts update their prices. Prices are always in Siacoin and Sia is agnostic about the true value of 1 Siacoin. It is up to the Host operator to set an appropriate price.
Activity: 247
January 29, 2016, 06:58:18 PM
The exact price is unknown as hosts are picked at random. Though, cheaper hosts are selected with higher probability. The price is always set in Siacoins, regardless of its price on the exchanges.
So I would not know exactly how many Sia Id be paying? The system approximates the total cost before I agree to the deal?

Currently, Sia does not inform you about the exact price. What happens is this:

Sia contacts available hosts and asks for price
If price is ok, and host is available, a file contract is negotiated
The file contract is noted on the blockchain and Siacoins go out of your wallet
Uploading starts

Think of the estimated price as an average; eventually with enough uploads you'll converge towards this average price although sometimes you'll pay less and sometimes more than the estimated price.

Hope that makes sense
January 29, 2016, 06:53:11 PM

January 29, 2016, 06:49:15 PM
How much Sia does it cost to upload 10MB of data?
How much Sia do I receive for storing 10MB of data?

Is there a "price list"?

See http://siapulse.com/page/network for some network statistics. You can see there what Hosts charge. Note that your files are copied 6 times over on the network, to guarantee (99.99999+%) that your files are retrievable even if a good portion of the network gets knocked out. This redundancy factor will diminish as the number of hosts increase.

If you open your Sia UI wallet you can see the current *estimated* price on the Files page (per GB/Mo).

There is also a calculator here: http://siapulse.com/page/market

Its not working so great at the moment though. I'm working on fixing this.

ok thats great. thanks.

if the price of Sia goes x3 does the amount of Sia required to store the same data after cost 1/3 what it did before?

EDIT: Doh, I get it. its based on offers I guess

January 29, 2016, 06:35:42 PM

Is there a "price list"?

See http://siapulse.com/page/network for some network statistics. You can see there what Hosts charge. Note that your files are copied 6 times over on the network, to guarantee (99.99999+%) that your files are retrievable even if a good portion of the network gets knocked out. This redundancy factor will diminish as the number of hosts increase.

If you open your Sia UI wallet you can see the current *estimated* price on the Files page (per GB/Mo).

ok thats great. thanks.

if the price of Sia goes x3 does the amount of Sia required to store the same data after cost 1/3 what it did before?

EDIT: Doh, I get it. its based on offers I guess
January 29, 2016, 06:33:32 PM

Is there a "price list"?

January 29, 2016, 05:55:59 PM
noob Q

1. How much Sia does it cost to upload 10MB of data?
2. How much Sia does it cost to download 10MB of data?
3. How much Sia do I receive for storing 10MB of data for 60 days?
4. If I rent 1GB of space for 30days how many Sia will I pay?
5. And can I extend the rental by paying more before the term expires
6. Is there a price list, and how will the fluctuation in the price of Sia be reflected in the cost of storage?

thanks
January 29, 2016, 05:03:36 PM
Hello guys, i'm new to SC and apparently the faucet isn't working. Could I get someone to send me a small amount to to ensure my wallet is functioning correctly? Thank you!
Some funds are on the way  Smiley
2k pending, thats a good sign! Thanks a bunch!

Faucet should be working now too:
http://siapulse.com/page/faucet

SiaPulse was updated to v0.5.1 today.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
January 29, 2016, 04:34:40 PM
Hello guys, i'm new to SC and apparently the faucet isn't working. Could I get someone to send me a small amount to to ensure my wallet is functioning correctly? Thank you!

Have fun with Sia!

2k pending, thats a good sign! Thanks a bunch!

January 29, 2016, 04:27:50 PM

Have fun with Sia!
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
January 29, 2016, 12:26:38 PM

Here is the address.

094a35d858657f8d99a58c3e499ef44a426a9a6d97cd5aab63a456c87e3470e8a749676c71a3
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
January 29, 2016, 10:06:25 AM
Currently running 0.4.4 and in the process of upgrading to 0.4.8, preparatory to the upgrade to v.0.5.0.

I've d/loaded Sia-v0.4.8-beta-darwin-amd64.zip (from https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta) but my Windows 7 OS claims the 'siac' and 'siad' files are unknown file types and ask me what program I want to use to open them with.

darwin is the zip for Mac. You want to download the Sia-v0.4.8-beta-windows-amd64.zip file.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that you need to upgrade from 044 to 048 before going to 051.

Also, 051 is approx. ready, should be done in under an hour. We thought it was done, but at the last minute we were seeing a weird UI bug. I'll make the announcement once we're happy that everything is reasonably smooth and ready to use.

Thanks Smiley
Activity: 261
January 29, 2016, 07:19:32 AM
Guys i have two wallets mining - the block i found lately show up as transactions but no funds have been added to wallets. One of the wallets was new so it shows 2 transactions of blocks of yesterday but 0 balance and 0 pending.

Please advise.

So 1 block for one wallet, shows transactions but funds have not shown not even as pending and on another pc another wallet with 2 blocks that show transaction mined but the same - no balance , no pending.

I know we're still in BETA but please advise a way to recover these. PM works best.

Edit :

3 different wallets on 3 PC's mining, two of them have each 1 transaction that shows for 270000 mined but no funds arrived nor pending, the third one has two transactions in the same state, unexistent. The transactions appear in the wallet both the GUI and the command line one but funds are simply missing.

Also, please advise i am desperately trying to upgrade from 0.46 to 0.51 but i seem to be unable , first,  if i simply copy the wallet folder, the password works and wallet unlocks but i see no funds or transactions. Then, if i also copy the consensus.db folder and file, the command line wallet works showing all the transactions and the funds ( with the same problem as 0.46, missing the funds for the last 2 transactions ) however the GUI won't start, showing a blue 1 in the middle of the GUI and the error :ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:9980.

Thanks

I'm sorry to repeat but i have not found your post helpful, fact is :

First problem : the blocks are two days old. I've already mined a bunch of sia and confirmations take a few hours, + in this case, the transactions do show up in the wallet, only the actual funds do not.

Second problem : Can you please post a guide to how to update from 0.4.6 to 0.5.1 ? If i copy the wallet JSON without the consensus db, neither funds nor transactions appear in the unlocked wallet. Does this mean sia wallets cannot be moved without the consensus.db ? If i do copy the consensus db, the GUI won't start in spite of anything i do, or how long i wait, giving ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:9980.

If it helps i can make a video showing this problem if there is anything unclear about it.

I'm not sure what problem you are running into with the first problem. I don't think I understand.

For the second problem, it should be sufficient to copy all of the folders over - the consensus, wallet, host, renter, etc. folders in to the new upgraded version. There is compatibility code that will do any needed conversions. Conversions may take a while.

I will try all that you have said.

The first problem , here it is :

I am mining SIA on 3 PC.

On one PC ihad 6.9 million for a few days, then i find two blocks which show up in the transaction list of the wallet, adding up to about 7.4m, however even though two days have pased, my funds are still 6.9 million.

It's not like it's shown mined and the block failed,  no, the blocks show up as transactions but the funds did not update and i see no way to do so, neither has loading the wallet in the v 0.51 command line wallet helped.

The same has happened on the other 2 pc's , showing transactions for 2 blocks on one and 1 ( last i checked ) on the other, but no funds.

So again, the funds are 6.9m but if i add up each transaction it adds up to 7.4m. Thus, 2 transactions show up as they should, because the blocks had been mined and accepted but the wallet did not update funds. I think it is a bug of sorts and i hope the funds aren't lost.

Please advise.
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
January 29, 2016, 04:34:15 AM
Guys i have two wallets mining - the block i found lately show up as transactions but no funds have been added to wallets. One of the wallets was new so it shows 2 transactions of blocks of yesterday but 0 balance and 0 pending.

Please advise.

So 1 block for one wallet, shows transactions but funds have not shown not even as pending and on another pc another wallet with 2 blocks that show transaction mined but the same - no balance , no pending.

I know we're still in BETA but please advise a way to recover these. PM works best.

Edit :

3 different wallets on 3 PC's mining, two of them have each 1 transaction that shows for 270000 mined but no funds arrived nor pending, the third one has two transactions in the same state, unexistent. The transactions appear in the wallet both the GUI and the command line one but funds are simply missing.

Also, please advise i am desperately trying to upgrade from 0.46 to 0.51 but i seem to be unable , first,  if i simply copy the wallet folder, the password works and wallet unlocks but i see no funds or transactions. Then, if i also copy the consensus.db folder and file, the command line wallet works showing all the transactions and the funds ( with the same problem as 0.46, missing the funds for the last 2 transactions ) however the GUI won't start, showing a blue 1 in the middle of the GUI and the error :ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:9980.

Thanks

I'm sorry to repeat but i have not found your post helpful, fact is :

First problem : the blocks are two days old. I've already mined a bunch of sia and confirmations take a few hours, + in this case, the transactions do show up in the wallet, only the actual funds do not.

Second problem : Can you please post a guide to how to update from 0.4.6 to 0.5.1 ? If i copy the wallet JSON without the consensus db, neither funds nor transactions appear in the unlocked wallet. Does this mean sia wallets cannot be moved without the consensus.db ? If i do copy the consensus db, the GUI won't start in spite of anything i do, or how long i wait, giving ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:9980.

If it helps i can make a video showing this problem if there is anything unclear about it.

I'm not sure what problem you are running into with the first problem. I don't think I understand.

For the second problem, it should be sufficient to copy all of the folders over - the consensus, wallet, host, renter, etc. folders in to the new upgraded version. There is compatibility code that will do any needed conversions. Conversions may take a while.
Activity: 261
January 29, 2016, 04:33:35 AM
Anybody, a solution for my problems ?
January 29, 2016, 01:07:19 AM
what price my hosting contracts should have to be competitive and where can i see other peoples contracts?
You can view some statistics about the other hosts on siapulse.
http://siapulse.com/page/network

Let me add that SiaPulse is still running 0.4.8 and thus does not see the 0.5.x hosts. The number of hosts on SiaPulse today is therefore an underestimate. I should have this fixed soon.

There is a price limit that is hardcoded in siad above which file contracts will not be made. I think its currently set to 500 SC. So, you definitely want to be below that limit.

Also, the host selection algorithm currently takes into account only price, and dependency is very non-linear, meaning cheap hosts are selected with high probability and more expensive hosts selected with very low probability. Still, you should be getting plenty of contracts as the number of hosts is currently low and file pieces need to be dispersed across most of them to guarantee that they are retrievable. Redundancy is also high at the moment (x6 I think), amplifying the probability of your host being selected even more.

As the network grows the competition for file contracts will be stiffer and you need to be more careful about the price you charge.
Jump to: