Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 383. (Read 1382190 times)

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
October 11, 2015, 04:10:05 AM
Anyone else getting HTTP Error 400 with the gpu miner ?

Yes, got that too. Gave up after messing around with it for an hour.

It can mean that the wallet is not synced yet.
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030
October 11, 2015, 12:09:14 AM

Yes, got that too. Gave up after messing around with it for an hour.
legendary
Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000
October 10, 2015, 07:14:27 PM
Hey Boarders,

Just received a email from Storji, you have heard of them right? Well they beat you to it  Sad

Email extract.

$384,000 Invested from 11 investor's -  Storj brings cloud storage to the Blockchain to make your files cheaper, faster and more secure than services like DropBox and Google Drive

When Bitcoin invented the Blockchain it made it possible for you to own your own money and send it cheaper, faster and more securely than when using a bank. It also gave investors the opportunity to profit from the same privileges that banks and governments have had for decades - the ability to benefit from the profits of newly created money.

Now Storj has taken that very same model and applied it to file storage. We all use services like Google Drive, Apple iCloud and Dropbox to store our files and we place a lot of trust in them to keep those files safe and secure, but what if we no longer have to?

Storj allows users to store their files encrypted across a decentralised network of computers rather than trusting one company to keep your files safe. This means they can be stored cheaper, faster and more securely as there is no central point of failure. It also means that anybody can rent out their spare hard drive space and get paid for contributing to the network.

Storj is the AirBnb of file storage. Qualifying Investors can check out full details about

So what's new? and what's your point? maybe they beat Maidsafe to it? but they fall short as well like Storj

Storj is what it is and Sia has its own means of storage and how you pay, and how you can earn money by renting/hosting out that storage. How much can I earn per GH/month by hosting Storj?

Can I share my files publicly using Storj? or upload various file types to sunfish servers with Storj? for others to download and use? or is it only good for storing my junk files on... can my files be used for collaboration with Storj?

Also: can I mine for Storj coins to pay for my hosting? or would I be "forced" to buy coins at market price only... can I use Storj coins for other things?

I just don't see where Storj has anything to offer that compares or even comes close to the potential of Sia.

Storj just doesn't measure up at the end of the day.

Sia will virtually have its own global economy which can be expanded upon, even rival Bitcoin possibly one day as a very reliable and secure form of cyrpto currency.

Ok, good luck with Storj, report back in a year  Grin

Not that it much matters, but one of the main devs for Storj is on the Sia slack channel and is a self professed holder of MAID and SIA. None of them, STORJ included, is dependent of the failure of the others. On the contrary, which is why I hold all three.  I do confess that my main "alt" holding is SIA though.

It's great that the GUI wallet now appears to be standalone... am sending SC back/forth to Polo with only GUI installed.

Crypto projects tend to have tunnel vision = fighting the Last War...
As if the blockchain will solve problems that do not exist (like Zero Cost Cloud Storage)...
Only value added features matter in this space... such as anon file downloading to compete with BitTorrent.

That said, SC is the cheapest way with the most upside to bet on p2p storage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-leads-cloud-storage-race-to-zero-2015-5
legendary
Activity: 2198
October 10, 2015, 05:12:46 PM
Hey,
New user here--got the GUI wallet for Windows and running it. Managed to create a wallet etc.

The problem I'm having is that it doesn't appear to be syncing the blockchain. Am I missing something? It just says in the overview page that the Block Height is 0.

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

that should allow you into the system ... unless i have it wrong of course ...

if the new wallet was anything like the old one - then DONT unlock it unless its fully sync'd - as it will take a LONG time if you do ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

If I were to speculate:

I noticed that sometimes the main tab of the wallet will continue to read 0 blocks until you tab to "wallet" and back to "overview." That seems to force a refresh of the information. If I wait it seems to refresh automatically on the overview page, but can take a full minute.  Also, it can just take a while for the wallet to build the database at first, but the new wallet is much faster. The wallet and SIA in general does not respond or look exactly like what most people are used to so the initial thought people have is that it is being "non-responsive" but so far 0.4.3 seems to be working very well. And yes, you don't unlock until the database is caught up and the balance will still read zero until you unlock. This is more of a feature than a bug if I understand correctly.
Your speculations are spot on! lol   Wink
legendary
Activity: 938
October 10, 2015, 12:52:57 PM
Hey,
New user here--got the GUI wallet for Windows and running it. Managed to create a wallet etc.

The problem I'm having is that it doesn't appear to be syncing the blockchain. Am I missing something? It just says in the overview page that the Block Height is 0.

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

if the new wallet was anything like the old one - then DONT unlock it unless its fully sync'd - as it will take a LONG time if you do ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

If I were to speculate:

I noticed that sometimes the main tab of the wallet will continue to read 0 blocks until you tab to "wallet" and back to "overview." That seems to force a refresh of the information. If I wait it seems to refresh automatically on the overview page, but can take a full minute.  Also, it can just take a while for the wallet to build the database at first, but the new wallet is much faster. The wallet and SIA in general does not respond or look exactly like what most people are used to so the initial thought people have is that it is being "non-responsive" but so far 0.4.3 seems to be working very well. And yes, you don't unlock until the database is caught up and the balance will still read zero until you unlock. This is more of a feature than a bug if I understand correctly.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
October 10, 2015, 07:50:13 AM
Hey,

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
October 10, 2015, 07:14:54 AM
Hey,

Thanks.
Activity: 671
Merit: 505
October 09, 2015, 06:20:26 PM

Spotlight scans the application directory. I tried also the good old UNIX tools find with no avail. There is no wallet.json :/

If you are using 0.3.3.3 or earlier the file will be called wallet.dat

What does your directory structure look like? What is the folder list if you open the Sia app folder?

No, it is GUI 0.4.2 and SIA 0.4.3.
This is the structure of ~/Library/Application Support/Sia-UI:

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

That's definitely the wrong folder. The folder you are looking for should have a structure like this:

app/assets
app/css
app/index.html
app/Sia
app/js
app/plugins

and a few other files as well.

Still no wallet.json and no Sia file (ordinary or directory). Should I use Linux instead? (The backup is a must for me.)
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
October 09, 2015, 05:35:28 PM

Spotlight scans the application directory. I tried also the good old UNIX tools find with no avail. There is no wallet.json :/

What does your directory structure look like? What is the folder list if you open the Sia app folder?

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

That's definitely the wrong folder. The folder you are looking for should have a structure like this:

app/assets
app/css
app/index.html
app/Sia
app/js
app/plugins

and a few other files as well.
October 09, 2015, 05:27:08 PM

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

October 09, 2015, 05:24:59 PM

October 09, 2015, 05:20:52 PM

Yes, there are some coins and the wallet is currently unlocked. I rechecked - there is no wallet.json (the Spotlight search never lies).
There is also no wallet in ~/Library/Application Support/Sia-UI
Could the name of the wallet differ?

Spotlight search is probably not scanning the application directory. I'm not used to Mac so I can't be sure what's going on, but You should try Sia-UI/app/dependencies/Sia/wallet -> I think in Mac the application is actually a folder, and not just an executable. Can someone else who's used to working with mac confirm?

October 09, 2015, 05:09:09 PM

Yes, there are some coins and the wallet is currently unlocked. I rechecked - there is no wallet.json (the Spotlight search never lies).

Spotlight search is probably not scanning the application directory. I'm not used to Mac so I can't be sure what's going on, but You should try Sia-UI/app/dependencies/Sia/wallet -> I think in Mac the application is actually a folder, and not just an executable. Can someone else who's used to working with mac confirm?
October 09, 2015, 04:49:48 PM

No, there is no wallet.json (OS X, if it matters).
Is it some OS X bug?

Have you ever unlocked or initialized the wallet? If you haven't initialized the wallet, there won't be a wallet.json. If you've got coins in your wallet, it means that there is definitely a wallet.json somewhere in your directory because that's how it remembers which coins are yours.

October 09, 2015, 04:42:13 PM

Is it some OS X bug?

Have you ever unlocked or initialized the wallet? If you haven't initialized the wallet, there won't be a wallet.json. If you've got coins in your wallet, it means that there is definitely a wallet.json somewhere in your directory because that's how it remembers which coins are yours.
October 09, 2015, 04:27:06 PM
Great project, thank you!

How can I backup my wallet? SIA UI version 0.4.2, SIA version 0.4.3? There is no wallet.json.
Is the password enough or I need to backup some directory?

There should be a wallet.json in app/dependencies/Sia/wallet/wallet.json

We will be adding a 'backup' button at some point so users don't need to go crawling through the Sia directory. Working on a few other things (mining pool) first.

Is it some OS X bug?
legendary
Activity: 2198
October 09, 2015, 03:57:43 PM
ocminer that sounds great! as mentioned we all have been getting a 400 or 500 HTTP:code when using 4.2/4.3

So to mine we all will need the fix for these 2 versions or we can mine from 0.3.3.3

If you wanted to test a pool using 0.3.3.3 most of us have a miner that works well with that version. Let any of us know and we could help test. I have a supernova account  as many do I am sure. So quick and slick hopefully lol

But I think we are a day or 2 away from the fix as Taek mentioned. Then mining should be fine then.

Thanks again,  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1240
October 09, 2015, 03:26:48 PM

Yeah. We're going to be making a release that fixes it soon. For an immediate solution, use master branches:

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-GPU-Miner

I'd make the releases today but the 0.4.2 mining software is proving a really high stale rate. I want to wait to release anything until I've fixed that as well.

OK let me know when you're done, I've got a basic "proxy" ready which I'd like to use for the pool. I'd need a username string for identification purposes though. I've done that trhough the hostname currently (-H sia.suprnova.cc/username). Ideally would be another flag like -U for username.
October 09, 2015, 03:24:15 PM

Yeah. We're going to be making a release that fixes it soon. For an immediate solution, use master branches:

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-GPU-Miner

I'd make the releases today but the 0.4.2 mining software is proving a really high stale rate. I want to wait to release anything until I've fixed that as well.

Great project, thank you!

How can I backup my wallet? SIA UI version 0.4.2, SIA version 0.4.3? There is no wallet.json.
Is the password enough or I need to backup some directory?

There should be a wallet.json in app/dependencies/Sia/wallet/wallet.json

We will be adding a 'backup' button at some point so users don't need to go crawling through the Sia directory. Working on a few other things (mining pool) first.
legendary
Activity: 938
October 09, 2015, 03:22:09 PM

Wallet 0.4.3 is having compatibility issues with the gpu miner. Many are still using 0.3.3.3 which will be obsolete after the hard fork that is about 1000 blocks away.

Oh wait, Taek said they are currently working on the miner issue and on the siatalk slack channel he said the fix for 0.4.3 just got merged into the master about an hour ago.
Jump to: