Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 486. (Read 1382189 times)

Activity: 295
Merit: 250
June 04, 2015, 11:09:16 PM
Interesting project,
I've mined gazillions of SC on desktop. Testnet only but what happens my imaginary stash on 07th? Can I continue with the same wallet or need update or what?  Smiley
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
June 04, 2015, 08:43:33 PM
Coin is launch or not? i can`t understand what ppl mining? Testnet?

Yes, it's testnet for now. The planned launch date is June 7th.
Hix
legendary
Activity: 1971
Merit: 1036
June 04, 2015, 06:32:09 PM
Coin is launch or not? i can`t understand what ppl mining? Testnet?
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1005
June 04, 2015, 04:46:34 PM

The Cryptocurrency

Sia uses a new cryptocurrency, called the siacoin. The developers will mine
the first 100 blocks or so before releasing the code + miner to the public.......

so unless I have my own rig, I'm SOL?

Activity: 543
Merit: 501
June 04, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
new Mac client installed, just sitting there, won't let me click out of overview

is it syncing? a status marker would be nice

We don't have good error reporting for this yet, but if you can't click out of overview it means that 'siad' is not running, and the UI is trying to talk to a service that doesn't exist. I believe that 'siad' will exit if you don't have an internet connection when you first start running it. It's definitely not syncing if you can't click out of overview.

i see in the version file v0.26.1

whereas the dl is called Sia-UI-v0.3.2-beta-darwin.tar

The tool we used to build the UI is called 'electron'. https://github.com/atom/electron. 0.26.1 refers to the electron version.

Try reinstalling the UI, making sure you have internet, and then running it again. In the next 2-3 weeks we'll try to get better error reporting working.

Is your company planning on selling any more of the siafunds?
If so, when? and what will be the going rate?

We are not planning on selling more siafunds. However, there are around 1100 in circulation, and we do plan on having siafunds available from public exchanges. We won't be selling them, but other people holding siafunds will probably be selling theirs if the price is high enough. Because the total number of atomic siafunds is so low, acquiring them will probably take a while.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
June 04, 2015, 04:39:04 PM
Is your company planning on selling any more of the siafunds?
If so, when? and what will be the going rate?
Activity: 336
AKA jefdiesel
June 04, 2015, 01:04:21 PM
new Mac client installed, just sitting there, won't let me click out of overview

i see in the version file v0.26.1

whereas the dl is called Sia-UI-v0.3.2-beta-darwin.tar

Activity: 763
June 04, 2015, 01:01:45 PM
did I miss the coin specs? I don't see them in the OP. thanks

The section of Crytocurrency on the OP may help. There is also a link to the whitepaper on the OP.
The Cryptocurrency

Sia uses a new cryptocurrency, called the siacoin. The developers will mine
the first 100 blocks or so before releasing the code + miner to the public.
Other than these first blocks, there is no premine for siacoins.  The first
block reward will be 300,000 siacoins. Each block reward after that will be
one siacoin smaller than the previous block reward (299,999, then 299,998, and
so on). When the block reward reaches 30,000, all remaining blocks will give a
30,000 siacoin reward. The block time is 10 minutes. Each siacoin is composed
of 10^24 indivisible units.

The most important features of Sia can only be accessed by using siacoins. All
storage contracts and all Sia payment channels require owning siacoins. This
requirement means that as Sia grows in usage, so too will demand for siacoins.
As demand grows, the price will increase. If Sia is being used for billions of
dollars of storage, billions of dollars of siacoins will be required. The
value of the siacoin is inextricably tied to the amount of storage in use on
the Sia network.

Sia has a second cryptocurrency, called the Siafund. 3.9% of all successful
storage contract payouts go to the holders of the siafunds. There are 10,000
siafunds total, and all 10,000 are completely premined. Sia's parent company,
Nebulous Inc., holds approximately 8750 of these siafunds. The remaining
siafunds were sold in a crowdfund which helped to finance Sia's early
development. The primary goal of siafunding is to provide a way to finance the
development of Sia without relying on donations or a premine. More people
using Sia means more funding available to hire more developers.

Standard transactions are not subject to the fee, and neither are failed
storage contracts (where the host was offline or lost the file).

If you have sianotes and would like to redeem your siafunds, please look for
instructions at siacoin.com/sianotes.html. The official deadline for
redeeming siafunds is June 1st, 2015.
Activity: 466
Twitter Follow for no BS crypto: @SecretsOfCrypto
June 04, 2015, 12:37:44 PM
did I miss the coin specs? I don't see them in the OP. thanks
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009
Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse
June 04, 2015, 12:34:49 PM
Great looking coin. I have around 50000BTC I think I found the place where they need to be invested.

Mind sharing?  Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 336
AKA jefdiesel
June 04, 2015, 12:20:22 PM

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
June 04, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
Did that: compiled the daemon and client from git, they seem to work, the gpu miner doesn't echo any error but freezes my pc a couple seconds after it loads.
Other opencl applications run just fine.

It freezes my computer too. The other people developing for Sia haven't had this problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but there's probably something we can do about it.

The GPU miner intentionally hogs 100% of the GPU. I think it's related to that - things haven't actually frozen, it's just  that there are no resources available on the GPU for loading the desktop, etc.

hmmm it freezes the keyboard as well, and the cpu load goes down, I can feel it by the fan noise.
so it's just a system freeze caused by the gpu, hard reset needed.
it might depend on the card model, the driver version and if they are on linux or win (me on lin).
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
June 04, 2015, 10:15:35 AM
Great looking coin. I have around 50000BTC I think I found the place where they need to be invested.

if that is not a typo - then thats a lotta dough Wink ...

#crysx
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
June 04, 2015, 10:15:21 AM
In the picture above it says "Mining / 1296 Khash/s / 319.1 Blocks/Week / 3 Threads / O Blocks Mined"

I see only "Mining / Mining On / 4 Active Threads" and no other stats. How so? Using Windows...

You have an old version, there's a new one that you can download.

p.s. how can I tell Sia to communicate with Internet via proxy server? How to cancel an announcement of my dedicated space for Sia network?

The best way to cancel your announcement is to set your storage space to 0. Sorry that there's not a switch, it's on our todo list.

Did that: compiled the daemon and client from git, they seem to work, the gpu miner doesn't echo any error but freezes my pc a couple seconds after it loads.

It freezes my computer too. The other people developing for Sia haven't had this problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but there's probably something we can do about it.

The GPU miner intentionally hogs 100% of the GPU. I think it's related to that - things haven't actually frozen, it's just  that there are no resources available on the GPU for loading the desktop, etc.
Activity: 1540
June 04, 2015, 07:19:16 AM
legendary
Black Belt Developer
June 04, 2015, 07:17:02 AM
gpu miner says:

"curl did not receive enough bytes"

and quits.
looks like it gets a wrong getblock size.

This is because the GPU miner only works with the development branch of Sia. You'll have to clone the Sia repo, build it yourself, and then run the GPU miner.

legendary
Black Belt Developer
June 04, 2015, 03:35:30 AM
Meanwhile, I've cpu-mined a couple blocks but the client is now stuck at block 4811 (mined blocks still unconfirmed).
Where can I have a look at the mining transactions and where is the log, to check for errors?

The easiest way to view the mining transactions is to query 'localhost:9980/transactionpool/transactions' (you can use curl or just put that into a web browser). If you are stuck because of the transactions, restarting Sia will clear the transaction pool.

Unfortunately we don't have much logging yet. We are in the process of adding more logging. If blocks that you mine are not being accepted, there should be an error that gets printed out.

edit: if you are still stuck after restarting Sia, try deleting the 'Sia/consensus/chain.db' file, which will force you to re-download the blockchain.

thanks.
the wallet unstuck and I mined some other blocks.
'localhost:9980/transactionpool/transactions' says just "null" (but my balance is not zero).
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
June 04, 2015, 03:32:42 AM
In the picture above it says "Mining / 1296 Khash/s / 319.1 Blocks/Week / 3 Threads / O Blocks Mined"

I see only "Mining / Mining On / 4 Active Threads" and no other stats. How so? Using Windows...
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
June 04, 2015, 01:47:31 AM
Let the minng begins!  Grin

p.s. how can I tell Sia to communicate with Internet via proxy server? How to cancel an announcement of my dedicated space for Sia network?
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
June 03, 2015, 07:57:23 PM
any gpu that supports opencl ... from what we can tell ...

If I am going to buy a new GPU computer, can you guys recommend some types of GPU which will be popular for Siacoins solo mining and future pool mining?

entirely dependent on 2 main things - budget and use of the machine ...

your preference to cards also will be part of the equation - but thats really negligible  ...

if its just a miner - its one thing ... and if its a hybrid miner / gamer / work machine - its another ...

THEN you need to decide what is best for your budget and the longevity of the system ...

there are differing opinions about what cards and costings and power consumption - and rightly so - as most of the gpu's out there differ greatly even though they are of teh same 'type' of gpu ...

we had a number of different machines in our farm and have culled everything down to gigabyte 280x oc and gigabyte 750ti oc lp cards ... but we have a specific reason why we have done that ...

we favour the 750ti oc lp cards - but again - its because our design is specific to the goal and end result that we require ...

they miners ONLY - nothing else ... and we had a little bit of a budget to 'play' with so we tried to use that as wisely as possible ...

so first step is deciding how much you have to spend - next what it is going to be used for - then decide on the components ...

#crysx
Jump to: