Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [SKC] Skeincoin 0.9.3.1 | Skein-SHA2 - page 13. (Read 161513 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
November 12, 2014, 02:33:14 PM
0.8.99.14 does not sync after 8-NOV. Added all recommended addnodes
Do not use 0.8.99.14! (It's the merged version, that got a rollback, because the pools didn't update in time)
Use 0.8.99.13 or 0.8.99.15.

Then why not to correct the link on skeincoin.org ?
Activity: 914
Merit: 250
Making Smart Money Work
November 12, 2014, 11:39:54 AM
Do not use 0.8.99.14! (It's the merged version, that got a rollback, because the pools didn't update in time)
Use 0.8.99.13 or 0.8.99.15.
Activity: 84
November 12, 2014, 04:52:17 AM
Activity: 95
November 11, 2014, 06:47:46 AM
Anyone know when we are moving forward with the merged mining?
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners
November 10, 2014, 12:10:23 PM
Just bought me some skein socks from cryptosocks.com  Grin

Have 15 myself, comfortable as can be!
November 10, 2014, 11:43:44 AM
Just bought me some skein socks from cryptosocks.com  Grin
legendary
Coins, Games & Miners
November 09, 2014, 05:10:32 PM
I'm offering a 10k skc bounty on an opensource FPGA implementation of the skein algo.

HW Testing shows that I can get about 2.5MH/s (for the sha256/skein algo) out of a Cyclone IV E115.  Not impressive.  That's only burning about 1W though, so that's 2.5MH/s/W which is kinda "cool" if you're gonna make a large rig of dozens of FPGAs.  With my rig, once I get the stratum proxy working, I'm expecting around 180MH/s for myr-skein.  That's about what you'd expect from a single modern GPU ... meh.

Disappointment.

This still will yield about 5x what my rig is yielding today running the scrypt algo though.  ASICs are starting to kick my ass in the Scrypt realm.  Todays cryptocurrency landscape doesn't appear to have much room left for FPGAs.  The algo's are a whole generation newer (and more complex) than they were in BitCoin days and those damned GPUs are REALLY REALLY fast now!  Even though GPUs are not running algo steps in parallel (like an FPGA can) they're running their core at some insane GHz speed that more than makes up for it.  If I really work at timing issues I can get logic steps in the FPGA to run up to 100MHz.  That's roughly the theoretical max for how fast a single fully unrolled instance of an algo machine can run in this FPGA.  The SHA3 generation of algos though are so much more complex than SHA2 that you'd never fit an entire fully unrolled instance in a single IC.  You have to start making trade offs to shrink the logic into something that will fit and this means increasing the number of clocks per hash.  I've run out of steam at 64 clocks per hash for Skein.

Quite a learning experience

not all of the SHA-3 candidates are more complex some are quite simple by design and work well on FPGA most of the issue are in the IDE and getting it to PAR(ISE is such a pita to use) and high fmax is more luck than any thing else  Cry

I have some 28nm Cyclone v FPGA's here will port blake to them once I have finished some other work I do prefer working in Quartus over ISE  Wink

hashrate wise FPGA is not going to beat GPU but it will use less power which for me here in UK is an important factor to mining

AuxPow has been reverted for the time being while we investigate an issue.

Please use the 0.8.99.13 wallet (see OP) or the latest version from Github.

Thanks

I found with AuxPoW that the block start code had issues as it seems that the AuxPoW blocks start before the check  Wink

hope that helps  Cool

Hehe blue on the SKC thread! Cool!

Indeed, Blake is a very simple SHA3 finalist, and it seems Skein is also very simple because it boils down to a tweaked threefish cipher (which is already FPGA fit).
legendary
Activity: 1509
Merit: 1030
Solutions Architect
November 07, 2014, 01:47:07 PM
I'm offering a 10k skc bounty on an opensource FPGA implementation of the skein algo.

HW Testing shows that I can get about 2.5MH/s (for the sha256/skein algo) out of a Cyclone IV E115.  Not impressive.  That's only burning about 1W though, so that's 2.5MH/s/W which is kinda "cool" if you're gonna make a large rig of dozens of FPGAs.  With my rig, once I get the stratum proxy working, I'm expecting around 180MH/s for myr-skein.  That's about what you'd expect from a single modern GPU ... meh.

Disappointment.

This still will yield about 5x what my rig is yielding today running the scrypt algo though.  ASICs are starting to kick my ass in the Scrypt realm.  Todays cryptocurrency landscape doesn't appear to have much room left for FPGAs.  The algo's are a whole generation newer (and more complex) than they were in BitCoin days and those damned GPUs are REALLY REALLY fast now!  Even though GPUs are not running algo steps in parallel (like an FPGA can) they're running their core at some insane GHz speed that more than makes up for it.  If I really work at timing issues I can get logic steps in the FPGA to run up to 100MHz.  That's roughly the theoretical max for how fast a single fully unrolled instance of an algo machine can run in this FPGA.  The SHA3 generation of algos though are so much more complex than SHA2 that you'd never fit an entire fully unrolled instance in a single IC.  You have to start making trade offs to shrink the logic into something that will fit and this means increasing the number of clocks per hash.  I've run out of steam at 64 clocks per hash for Skein.

Quite a learning experience

not all of the SHA-3 candidates are more complex some are quite simple by design and work well on FPGA most of the issue are in the IDE and getting it to PAR(ISE is such a pita to use) and high fmax is more luck than any thing else  Cry

I have some 28nm Cyclone v FPGA's here will port blake to them once I have finished some other work I do prefer working in Quartus over ISE  Wink

hashrate wise FPGA is not going to beat GPU but it will use less power which for me here in UK is an important factor to mining

Thanks

I found with AuxPoW that the block start code had issues as it seems that the AuxPoW blocks start before the check  Wink

hope that helps  Cool
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
November 07, 2014, 01:34:13 PM
guys - need active nodes because pool wallet cannot synchronize now

legendary
Activity: 1197
Merit: 1000
November 07, 2014, 01:23:30 PM
guys - need active nodes because pool wallet cannot synchronize now
November 07, 2014, 12:55:06 PM

Thanks
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
November 03, 2014, 08:07:05 AM
nice:0
November 02, 2014, 01:17:36 PM
explorer.skeincoin.org updated too Smiley
Activity: 113
November 01, 2014, 08:47:01 PM
Great work Red Kendra, happy to have helped you achieve this change Cool

The P2Pool Geeks @ http://myriad.p2pool.geek.nz will have SKC merge mining via Myriadcoin P2Pool running from the moment you guys pass block 331440. You are all welcome to come and join us, I also hope you join in the Myriad community at http://www.reddit.com/r/myriadcoin. With both communities working together, both coins will be stronger.
Making Smart Money Work
November 01, 2014, 07:54:08 PM
Nice!
Happy skeinniversary !

(tipbot is updated)
November 01, 2014, 05:07:45 PM
Happy first birthday Skeincoin! Smiley

Merge mining is now integrated into Skeincoin.

This is a required update. Merge mining will be enabled starting at block 331440 which should be mined around Friday 7 November. Please update before then.

Github updated and new QT wallet available:

Windows QT wallet
Version 0.8.99.14 - 1 November 2014
Allows merged mining
Update before 7 November
MD5 file hash = 2C5625DB6F1A845651CBAB0E8C804559
http://www.skeincoin.org/skeincoinwin089914.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!stQDhBIa!v55n1WANk2WWK6v-aSnHIGRLpULvOM49uhBAIVzTgTc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhfzhjgdfdps7mw/skeincoinwin089914.zip?dl=0

RK
legendary
Coins, Games & Miners
What can we do to get this coin really going? I'm looking for ideas and opinions people Smiley

These are small things, but an open-source android wallet (https://github.com/chiguireitor/skeincoin-wallet doesn't seem to work), an open-source iOS wallet, and an open-source web wallet in the style of blockchain.info would all be nice.

It'd also be nice if people contributed to the wiki at wiki.skeincoin.info. It's pretty slow right now but if there is interest in it I can move it to a better server.

I have some bigger ideas, but they're not fleshed out enough to share them just yet. Also, the wallet ideas are ideas, not something I'm volunteering to do myself. Contributing to the wiki is something I'm going to be working on, though I haven't touched it in months. Some company would certainly help spur me into action. Cheesy

I'm the one that forked the Bitcoin wallet to create the Android wallet. I'm pretty busy atm and haven't been able to get my android development tools working correctly (need to clean install stuff).
Geofaucets preview.
(if you want to see more, pm me  or visit #skeincoin once in a while)

Great work! Keep it up buddy  Grin
Guess that depends on perspective... for the general masses it needs to have some value before they will bother spending any time on it. Theres plenty of coins that are worth more so why not focus your time on them?

Because I don't own as high a percentage of them.

I also would dispute that many of them are "worth more". Skeincoin has a good name, an interesting algorithm, a great dev, a good time between blocks, a good total number of coins, a great logo...

There's a (small, but non-negligible) chance that skein (*) will one day be one of a small handful of POW algorithms popular enough for people to make ASICs, and if that happens there's a very good chance that Skeincoin will be the king of that algorithm. What other coins can say that? Some, but not that many, and as far I know none that can be bought up as cheaply as SKC. My initial "no" about merge-mining was because I was under the impression that merge-mining with MYR would mean Skeincoin would always have to play second fiddle to MYR, but after further research I realize not only is that not true, but it potentially can be used as an advantage.

The only real problem is that there's currently only one exchange. That's something that hopefully can be fixed, in time.

(*) Skein-sha, unfortunately. I'm not sure why the choice was made to add sha to the mix (maybe for a good reason), but that is perhaps a second problem, in that it presumably makes ASICs somewhat harder to make, and FPGAs less cost-effective, due to the need to implement two algorithms instead of one.

I agree with 90% of that, don't get me wrong I love Skeincoin I think its great with many pro's as you suggest.

We obviously sit on either side of the fence so lets attack this problem together instead of politely arguing our different views.... What can we do to get this coin really going? I'm looking for ideas and opinions people Smiley
Making Smart Money Work
Geofaucets preview.
(if you want to see more, pm me  or visit #skeincoin once in a while)

I treat 9 mln already mined coins in this situation as premine.
Someone have them and will dump if price rises.

Why? Skc was always mineable publicly. And I for one won't sell my skc, because I need it as a security against eventual loss of coins.
Pages:
Jump to: