Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | True Decentralization (No Pools) | Testing New Masternodes - page 361. (Read 810079 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Is this solution a description of Spreadcoin? It it exactly the same as Spreadcoin?

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/06/18/how-to-disincentivize-large-bitcoin-mining-pools/
It looks similar but more complicated because of the requirement of backward compatibility with existing Bitcoin miners.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1170
Advertise Here - PM for more info!
Is this solution a description of Spreadcoin? It it exactly the same as Spreadcoin?

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/06/18/how-to-disincentivize-large-bitcoin-mining-pools/

I skimmed through it and seems to me that it is similar, but not exactly the same. this proposal talks about a signature with a different difficulty than the hash, while Mr. Spread solution does the signing and than includes it in the hash. It saves a lot of space and is as secure as the one in the article.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE

I think the real question here is whether Mr. Spread is SpreadCoin Wink lol
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
I wouldn't worry about anyone copying SPR, all that does is provide validation. And Mr Spread's solution closely resembles aspects of previously proposed solutions, such as the two linked in the posts below, particularly the first.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/croutonrant-237-the-happy-happy-dream-of-decentralised-mining.3038/#post-30493

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/croutonrant-237-the-happy-happy-dream-of-decentralised-mining.3038/#post-30522

Whether Mr Spread was influenced by the above (who knows, maybe he was one of the authors?) or came up with what he has done independently, he was the first that I know of to take the idea(s) from paper to reality.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
looks like ziftrCOINs has just cloned spread algorithm and changed X11 for keccak. By the date, i'd say it's quite possible! Is their code available? BTW, Keccak is not memory hard. Those guys got something wrong!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it's not a reassuring signal that they chose to be coy about the origin.

The code isn't available AFAICT, so my default is to consider it to be proprietary and closed-source.

The unforced error of describing Keccak as “memory hard” doesn't fit very well with the size of the team implied by https://www.ziftrcoin.com/about-us/ziftr-team, are they all clueless?

But at least they seem to be a properly registered US commercial entity (as myVBO): http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=105672715

“myVBO LLC offers a Web based centralized information management software solution for small businesses. Its solution gathers business data, information, news, and business tools together in a Web portal; provides accounting, payroll, online meetings, and email marketing services; and enables customers to search Internet and rate Web sites. The company also offers real-time business statistics via QuickBooks and Google Analytics, stock tracking, news and video feeds, and market and price history on products, as well as enables customers to purchase products via the MyVBO purchasing engine. In addition, it offers a professional networking area for business professionals to discuss issues of th...”

I'm currently entertaining myself by imagining the consequences if Mr Spread's anti-pool solution was ported to Bitcoin .

Cheers

Graham
legendary
Interesting concept -- I've browsed through most of the thread but haven't seen a clear answer on a key point:

How specifically are mining pools avoided with this coin?

I must admit, I'm a bit hazy on the detail too.

Maybe SPR could do with a one-para summary and a snappy buzzphrase? Something along the lines of the “Sign-to-Mine™” approach taken by by Ziftrcoin and described thusly:

“We will use the NIST chosen Keccak, a memory-hard 512-bit hashing
algorithm, along with our Sign to Mine™ protocol, to mine ziftrCOINs.
Essentially, the header must contain a signature of the header’s contents,
which must be verified with the script spending the coinbase transaction.
This ensures that the one who solves the block also has the capability to
spend the block, which limits large pools. With Sign to Mine, miners should
make sure they trust those with whom they are mining, as anyone in the pool
has the ability to spend the reward for the blocks they solve.”

Quoted from ”ziftrCOIN Specifications, Released December 6, 2014” https://d19y4lldx7po3t.cloudfront.net/assets/docs/ziftrcoin-coinspecs.pdf

They may even have actually registered the trademark.

Cheers

Graham

Are you allowed to trademark things? Does the open source licence or whatever it is stop that?

most important: are you allowed to trademark things done by others? because it sounds like he just copied the spreadcoin algorithm.
Interesting concept -- I've browsed through most of the thread but haven't seen a clear answer on a key point:

There is a whitepaper in OP. I think I should change OP to make it more clear why there are no pools, you are not the first one who asks.

Mr. Spread, I mean ZERO disrespect when I ask this and will definitely not push the issue as it's your coin... but would you be open to a name change for Spreadcoin at some point?  One of the biggest arguments against Darkcoin by many is its' name.  Spreadcoin is going to have many of the same features as DRK (and maybe even some improvements by the sounds of it!) BUT in my opinion, "Spreadcoin" isn't the greatest name ever for a coin, especially for a coin I feel can be a top 3-10 market cap coin within a year. Again, I mean no disrespect and if you love the current name, I won't mention it again.  But if you are open to a name change, I think it could bring even more attention to this coin.
I personally like the current name.
+1000 TO THAT MR. SPREAD Smiley I AGREE IT SUITS THIS COIN JUST FINE!!!
Activity: 210

There is a whitepaper in OP. I think I should change OP to make it more clear why there are no pools, you are not the first one who asks.

Mr. Spread, I mean ZERO disrespect when I ask this and will definitely not push the issue as it's your coin... but would you be open to a name change for Spreadcoin at some point?  One of the biggest arguments against Darkcoin by many is its' name.  Spreadcoin is going to have many of the same features as DRK (and maybe even some improvements by the sounds of it!) BUT in my opinion, "Spreadcoin" isn't the greatest name ever for a coin, especially for a coin I feel can be a top 3-10 market cap coin within a year. Again, I mean no disrespect and if you love the current name, I won't mention it again.  But if you are open to a name change, I think it could bring even more attention to this coin.
I personally like the current name.
legendary
Activity: 1092
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
legendary
Crypto since 2014
What's wrong with Spread as the coins name? You can SPREAD the wealth, Spread the happiness,, Spread the Joy, Spread the Love, SpreadCoin in my opinion sounds like the perfect name for a top contender to Bitcoin, Darkcoin, or LiteCoin too! I think SpreadCoin would also help Noobies adapt more to the cryptocurrency world by its simplicity in its name Smiley How many people would've ever used Facebook if it was called "CreepyWebsiteWhereYouCanStalkYourExesAndCreepPeopleYouDon'tKnowAndAddThemAsAFriend?Huh" It's the smoothness in a name like SpreadCoin that works with it!!
Cheers
s's
And Spreadcoin rolls off the tongue. Unlike solocoin or something.
legendary
Crypto since 2014

Maybe SPR could do with a one-para summary and a snappy buzzphrase? Something along the lines of the “Sign-to-Mine™” approach taken by by Ziftrcoin and described thusly:

Quoted from ”ziftrCOIN Specifications, Released December 6, 2014” https://d19y4lldx7po3t.cloudfront.net/assets/docs/ziftrcoin-coinspecs.pdf

Cheers

Graham

Are you allowed to trademark things? Does the open source licence or whatever it is stop that?

I believe it was somthing to do with a bug in the original Bitcoin coding and Mr. Spread made his coin that way.
I'm pretty sure this never happened. But Mr. Spread did improve the transaction size so that it is smaller.
legendary

Cheers

Graham

looks like ziftrCOINs has just cloned spread algorithm and changed X11 for keccak. By the date, i'd say it's quite possible! Is their code available? BTW, Keccak is not memory hard. Those guys got something wrong!
legendary
Activity: 966

Whitepaper link is in OP.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

Cheers

Graham
Rux
legendary
Activity: 1291
Merit: 1024
https://crypto.ba
There is way we can make pool... same like on LAN, just use massive scale... open ports on routers, forward that port to the MAINrig with wallet acting as a server... with static ip... and off you go!

should we try? anyone interested to share some hash to test this teory?

cmon guys, i need only 1 miner to start with this... if we can get this to work...then what can stop 5 farms of rigs to team up and find blocks faster than any of solo miners?

instead LAN conf rpcallowip=192.168.1.* maybe we can do rpcallowip=*.*.*.*  so that everyone can join

Smiley just my 2 cents, we should try

I believe it was somthing to do with a bug in the original Bitcoin coding and Mr. Spread made his coin that way so big pools can't massive mine it or something like that lol dont ask me I'm just a NOOB!!!
Activity: 194

What's wrong with Spread as the coins name? You can SPREAD the wealth, Spread the happiness,, Spread the Joy, Spread the Love, SpreadCoin in my opinion sounds like the perfect name for a top contender to Bitcoin, Darkcoin, or LiteCoin too! I think SpreadCoin would also help Noobies adapt more to the cryptocurrency world by its simplicity in its name Smiley How many people would've ever used Facebook if it was called "CreepyWebsiteWhereYouCanStalkYourExesAndCreepPeopleYouDon'tKnowAndAddThemAsAFriend?Huh" It's the smoothness in a name like SpreadCoin that works with it!!
Cheers
s's
legendary
Crypto since 2014
We should call it Vegemitecoin. Because Vegemite is a dark spread.
Jump to: