Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] TagCoin - Multi Token Wallet and Trading Platform - page 47. (Read 301277 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 250
Is the mining fixed?HuhHuhHuh

Nobody knows yet... so mine at your own risk.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Is the mining fixed?HuhHuhHuh
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002
HODL for life.
Maybe this isn't easy to do or technically feasible, but, what if the PoW blocks were odd, and the PoS even? Or something like that. Then they couldn't collide.

But I would think you'd be trying to keep up with one another.  Like POS would be 400 blocks ahead, and we'd be filling in the gaps as we try to catch up.

I say just disable it and move on.  There really isn't a need for POS besides giving businesses the ability to hold large amounts of TAG to accrue interest on, but that encourages hoarding.  People are going to hoard regardless, but don't give them another reason to.

Disabling POS would move us past the issues that have been related to it, and it would bring back the stability that we all enjoyed early on.

-Fuse
Activity: 616
Maybe this isn't easy to do or technically feasible, but, what if the PoW blocks were odd, and the PoS even? Or something like that. Then they couldn't collide.
legendary
HODL for life.
Anyone else having trouble getting their wallet to sync now? Not sure what nodes are healthy.

Have you tried with just:

Addnode=tagmining.com

-Fuse
Activity: 513
Crypto ehalvers
Anyone else having trouble getting their wallet to sync now? Not sure what nodes are healthy.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Yeah, I was going to keep quiet about this until now, but I think, and this is just my opinion, is that the Proof of Stake blocks are the ones messing up the regular chain.

See, there is a priority and both types of blocks must be included in the block chain. PoS blocks get broadcast and added to the chain as soon as it is mined, and that's a whole bunch of wallets. Then the PoW blocks get added at about every 4 minutes, so any PoW blocks get orphaned when there are more than 2 PoS blocks that adds to the chain, and not everyone gets that broadcast in time, so a fork happens.

This would not happen if the latency for the entire network is zero, but that can never be true. You would need to put a tolerance of an entire round trip around the planet internet broadcast. Consider that to the moon, it takes about 1.279 seconds at the speed of light for anything to reach there. Then have it bounce back. Then any errors need to be retransmitted.

There needs to be enough time in between blocks such that once broadcast, the most recent mined block can reach the farthest point of the network, and 99% of all nodes.

With PoS blocks appearing at a very fast rate, since each wallet is actually mining PoS blocks after 30 days, they tend to orphan all the other blocks.

I have an idea: Kill the Proof of Stake in the code. Increase to 1.5% the interest on TAG coins that are held on the official website. You get to decentralize the block chain and mining, but you get to centralize the rewards on your own server or exchange. The hoarders will leave their coins on your exchange, and you might actually end up with all the coins because I'm no longer going to keep any on any other exchange that does not offer 1.5% interest.

Also, one more thing, is the algo going to remain as scrypt? I ask, only because there are ASICS looming on the horizon. If we switch to a harder Proof of Work or a different one, then I'm going to buy more GPUs.

If not, then I'm glad I pre-ordered some asics, hehe. (well, there's a whole bunch of other coins for those rigs to mine.)
For me the question is why do you think 1.5% POS doubled the value anyhow?
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Depends on the demand for TAG.. currently with POS the average time to create a block is 8 mins...so bringing it back to 4 means twice as many coins produced and no one hoarding them for 1.5% pos return...but if there is twice the interest in buying them it won't make a difference...hedge the bets and go for 5 or 6 min blocks..

Hi Mark - On what do you base the assumption that there will be 2x the interest in buying tagcoin? If there is nothing specific that would gin-up the price to match the increase in available supply, then the most fair thing is to make the PoW block time no less than 8 mins. If you don't mind my saying so.
Activity: 627
Merit: 501
We will see the result of the fix first, and see what the miners report about orphans and any other problems. It may have fixed the problem. However, I may put up a poll after 24 or 48 hours and put it to the community.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
Allright. Thank you for your reply.

When do you think you are going to erase the POS out of the script? So when do you plan to make this happen?

The possible price shock sucks, but if TagCoin is better after that I'm fine with it.
Depends on the demand for TAG.. currently with POS the average time to create a block is 8 mins...so bringing it back to 4 means twice as many coins produced and no one hoarding them for 1.5% pos return...but if there is twice the interest in buying them it won't make a difference...hedge the bets and go for 5 or 6 min blocks..
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007
Live like there is no tomorrow!
I'm glad you put effort in this to fix the problem. I am wondering, you said that removing the POS will (maybe) shock the price. You think the value of this coin is going to decrease then?

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
http://tag.cryptominer.net/ pool catched up the blockhain, stratum is up and running. Let's see what happens in the next few hours.

legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054
Point. Click. Blockchain
I agree to drop POS and only have TAG as POW.  The pool has been nothing more than a pain to maintain.  If you let it linger 7-10 months, TAG will suffer.  If you fix the orphan issue, then CryptoPools will set up a new TAG pool on new hardware and I will get miners to mine again with block bonuses.  If orphan issue is not resolved, then it would just be lost effort maintaining the pool.

-tb-
That sounds reasonable.
legendary
HODL for life.
While you might not think orphan resolution of a year being a bad thing, it would be terrible. Most hash power would stop mining the coin, like they did recently.

PoS has always been an issue with coins. I would kill it if there would be no negative effects.

Also, define long target time.

I meant longer, per Mark's 5-6 minute target reference.  Correcting my post now.
While you might not think orphan resolution of a year being a bad thing, it would be terrible. Most hash power would stop mining the coin, like they did recently.

PoS has always been an issue with coins. I would kill it if there would be no negative effects.

Also, define long target time.
legendary
HODL for life.
Well, I have kept quiet to see if this latest fix has sorted problems. No, I haven't abandoned it..anyone who knows me knows that I want this to keep going - aside from that, I do have a large investment in TAG.

We've been doing some more research, and reading some older posts about PoW/PoS combo coins. Seems that the orphans issue MIGHT take 7 to 12 months to resolve itself. That's not something we can control, that is something built into the code base and I have no wish to re write the base from scratch. IF the orphan issue continue to be a problem, then we will simply disable POS mining completely and revert to PoW only. The block generation will go back to being about 4 every minute which MIGHT shock the price, so as part of a fix, then we might change block generation to 5 or 6 minutes.

Glad to get your CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts. No point in slamming us, we just want to get it right for the future. These issues only started happening when PoS came on after 30 days. So, we may need to just turn it off.

I'm all for turning off the POS minting.  We were smooth sailing before minting started.  If it gets turned off, and things work back into smooth sailing, and I'll be a pool admin.  IMO, 7-12 months is too long term for a fix.  Plus turning off POS minting encourages the hoarders to spend or trade their coins, which would probably help out the Tagcash exchange.

As far as a longer block time target, that's fine.  I don't see that being an issue in the long run.

my $0.02.

-Fuse
I was reworking the TAG explorer but hit a snag with some RPC code, will take another stab at it tomorrow. Lat night here ...3am..need sleep...
Pages:
Jump to: