Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Tangible Cryptography suspends Bitcoin related transaction. - page 3. (Read 66745 times)

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
Equally good luck running any bitcoin services in the lightnet. We can all see how little luck and sliding down slippery slopes to oblivion that system has, on a monthly, if not weekly basis.

There are plenty of successful businesses operating on the open side of the web.

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

I simply cannot see how it's possible to conform to 100% of regulations and laws in good faith (that means NEVER paying legal or illegal bribes). http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229

If "successful" is defined as "merely hasn't been targeted by arbitrary, capricious, or malicious actors YET", then sure, there are "plenty of successful businesses". Such luck, or whatever you want to call it, is not equal to immunity.

Immunity is gained by having the resources to lawyer up and fight.

Welcome to the American dream.

Or nightmare, if you beg, borrow, and steal to get a lawyer, and evil still wins, as it almost always does.
legendary
RIP Mommy
Equally good luck running any bitcoin services in the lightnet. We can all see how little luck and sliding down slippery slopes to oblivion that system has, on a monthly, if not weekly basis.

There are plenty of successful businesses operating on the open side of the web.

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

I simply cannot see how it's possible to conform to 100% of regulations and laws in good faith (that means NEVER paying legal or illegal bribes). http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229

If "successful" is defined as "merely hasn't been targeted by arbitrary, capricious, or malicious actors YET", then sure, there are "plenty of successful businesses". Such luck, or whatever you want to call it, is not equal to immunity.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.

That could also have been argued about Apple's iTunes store and look how that turned out.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501

That many users continue to tolerate failures like Mt.Gox is just a sign of how immature the market still is.  There will be many successful ventures that fully conform to regulation.  And any business restricting itself to operation on the darknet is limiting itself to an extremely small segment of the user base.
legendary
RIP Mommy
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
It took forever to dig up this post, and I was starting to wonder if I was misremembering having written it:

Future Bitcoin services need to be run as if they are illegal enterprises, like Silk Road, even if what they are doing is apparently legal.

Why:
  • Laws change.
  • Regulations are vague and open-ended, and it's probably impossible to operate a business without accidentally violating one.
  • Even if you do manage to operate without violating any rule law enforcement agencies do not always limit themselves to the letter of the law when deciding to begin an enforcement action.
  • Governments are not the only threats to a successful business. Non-governmental organized crime is almost equally capable of extortion.

The solution is to run all services in the darknet, not tied to any physical location or legal jurisdiction, and without any explicit connection to a real-life identity.

I don't mean to be a dick but good luck with that justusranvier.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
It took forever to dig up this post, and I was starting to wonder if I was misremembering having written it:

Future Bitcoin services need to be run as if they are illegal enterprises, like Silk Road, even if what they are doing is apparently legal.

Why:
  • Laws change.
  • Regulations are vague and open-ended, and it's probably impossible to operate a business without accidentally violating one.
  • Even if you do manage to operate without violating any rule law enforcement agencies do not always limit themselves to the letter of the law when deciding to begin an enforcement action.
  • Governments are not the only threats to a successful business. Non-governmental organized crime is almost equally capable of extortion.

The solution is to run all services in the darknet, not tied to any physical location or legal jurisdiction, and without any explicit connection to a real-life identity.
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
Sure.  But  maybe we should start another thread.  I think we've hijacked TC's enough.
Ok but link it here please.
BCB
vip
BCJ
And the business in the link you provided is, in my opinion, and according to my research and the attorneys, Money Transmitter Professionals and Anti-Money Laundering Compliance professionals I've spoken with is operating illegally and runs the risk not only of being shut down but also of criminal prosecution.

I know nothing of that business other than what I've read in the referenced thread, but it appears to me that they are providing a listing and escrow service only and not handling or transferring any U.S. dollars. I've also researched this issue quite heavily and I don't see how that activity fits into any of the definitions of "money transmitter" enumerated in the FinCen guidance.

Would you mind sharing which part of the guidance / regulations you believe apply to this service?

Sure.  But  maybe we should start another thread.  I think we've hijacked TC's enough.

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
And the business in the link you provided is, in my opinion, and according to my research and the attorneys, Money Transmitter Professionals and Anti-Money Laundering Compliance professionals I've spoken with is operating illegally and runs the risk not only of being shut down but also of criminal prosecution.

I know nothing of that business other than what I've read in the referenced thread, but it appears to me that they are providing a listing and escrow service only and not handling or transferring any U.S. dollars. I've also researched this issue quite heavily and I don't see how that activity fits into any of the definitions of "money transmitter" enumerated in the FinCen guidance.

Would you mind sharing which part of the guidance / regulations you believe apply to this service?

legendary
That's how we know they are doing something worthwhile.
BCB
vip
BCJ
 justusranvier

Unfortunately this is the regulatory landscape in which we find ourselves today.

But then we are all free to make choices.

PS

You should read the story of E-Gold.  It is easy to make baseless claims and anonymously thump your chest at the government on an internet form and ignore regulation and your responsibilities as a money service business.  You should ask Douglas Jackson how that worked out for him.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/e-gold/
legendary
That is why we need collective action to begin bitcoin advocacy or to form a self regulating with Bitcoin and Financial industry professionals to interface with regulators and legislators to educate them about the benefits of the protocol.
Negotiating with gangsters has a long history of counterproductive results.

It's more productive in the long run to bypass and out-innovate the regulators instead of getting stuck in the tarpit of working with them.
BCB
vip
BCJ
That is why we need collective action to begin bitcoin advocacy or to form a self regulating with Bitcoin and Financial industry professionals to interface with regulators and legislators to educate them about the benefits of the protocol.  I think there was hope that this was what the bitcoin foundation would be working on.  But there seems to be many varying opinions about the foundation and its efforts here on this forum.

Our company has decided to move forward proactively in this area in our own business interest and in the interest of all bitcoiner and bitcoin businesses.  If you are interested in joining us please PM me to get involved.

Thanks.

Activity: 658
I doubt TC has the pocketbook to fight the state. Fighting corporations or debt is one thing. Fighting the people who can make the rules and change them on a whim is something else entirely.
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
TC, why don't you lawyer up yourselves to keep in business while the politicians figure things out? I remember when Donald Trump filed for bankruptcy many years ago he was still buying planes, homes, and expensive items. It basically boils down to how good your attorney's are. If your attorney's can't keep you in business while waiting for a decision which could take years you need new counsel.
+1
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
Have you given any consideration to resuming offering escrow services temporarily until you get a formal response from the commission?
Regardless of the decision, Tangible Cryptography, LLC won't be offering escrow in the future.  Too high risk, too low profit (competing with 0% fee operators), and too manpower intensive.  If you need a trusted escrow agent I would recommend John K.  He is the only one I trust enough to use personally.

Understood.

I'm one of those 0% fee (gratuity appreciated) operators.  Unfortunately, when I need escrow, John K. is the only current provider that I trust enough to use personally in most cases.  I'm typically happy to pay his 1.5% fee, but he isn't always available on short notice, especially during the timeframe that local banks are open (due to his geographical location).

Anyhow, if you change you mind, I'd be happy to pay between 1% and 2% for escrow services from someone as trusted as yourself.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Have you given any consideration to resuming offering escrow services temporarily until you get a formal response from the commission?

Regardless of the decision, Tangible Cryptography, LLC won't be offering escrow in the future.  Too high risk, too low profit (competing with 0% fee operators), and too manpower intensive.  If you need a trusted escrow agent I would recommend John K.  He is the only one I trust enough to use personally.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
Escrow (unless you are an attorney) is money transmission also.

Only if you are holding the U.S. cash as escrow.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
Any news guys ?? Hope your back online soon  Wink

Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!
I am also interested to hear the latest, if only out of professional curiosity.

We do not have a formal response from the commission at this time.  It is unlikely any updates will be provided until we have a formal response either indicating that our activity does not require a license or that we must obtain a license. 

Because there is an 80 year old guy asking his assistant, "hey dear, what are bitcoins?". You may never receive an answer.

TC, why don't you lawyer up yourselves to keep in business while the politicians figure things out? I remember when Donald Trump filed for bankruptcy many years ago he was still buying planes, homes, and expensive items. It basically boils down to how good your attorney's are. If your attorney's can't keep you in business while waiting for a decision which could take years you need new counsel.

Pages:
Jump to: