Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] US/North American Bitfury sales NEW STOCK ***NOW SHIPPING*** - page 12. (Read 576772 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
9 Ants and counting.  1.8 Th/s

Any network trouble with that many Huh  Using switches,router or WiFi  Huh

9 isnt many (think about the asicminer backplane where all 10 cards needed a connection!)

I personally am using a 48-port HP Prolink switch i got used for $10. Im only using a half-dozen of its ports, but its a great peice of hardware, runs on 120V, and is dead-easry to set up, connecting its trunk to one of the LAN ports on my wireless router
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

Any network trouble with that many Huh  Using switches,router or WiFi  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
legendary
ASIC Wannabe
I can personally say i refrained from purchasing due to poor business tactics(price gouging) by MBP...

+1. I have 7 bitfury cards in my septemer starter kit and 7 antminer S1s - Bitfury accounts for only 15% of my hashing power, almost exclusively because there is no reason to buy more boards when they are so horribly overpriced. 5 of the boards I have I got for free because my september kit was one of the delayed batch and I had to wait months until a viable opportunity to use my store credit

Whoever is in charge of business strategy clearly doesnt care about selling to the public, or is only concerned about the private mining facility
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I can personally say i refrained from purchasing due to poor business tactics(price gouging) by MBP...
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
The 1.45 btc is an amazing price......  maybe antminers will look nice beside my bitfury rigs..... and its tax refund season.... mbp ill wait til monday to see if u drop prices,  if not 3 antminers will be enroute to me Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I always wanted to try this approach as it seemed fairly easy.  No guarantee it works though, maybe someone else can test it?  https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1187/boot-from-external-usb-stick-drive
Activity: 658
CCNA: There i fixed the internet.
ok instead of reinventing the wheel: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44177

link off of the raspberry pi official forums on setting up boot to a usb drive. to test it i followed the procedure on a virgin raspian installation and a 16G PNY flash drive and am happy to say working well. the guide is very thorough.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Some good SD cards are on sale. They survived a lot of freak reboots in my PIs w/o issues but are not 100% immune. Way better than some of the class 4 junk.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6698720-2-pack-sony-16gb-sdhc-memory-card-class-10-uhs-i-up-to-94mbs-read-45mbs-write-25-free-shipping?src=pdw
Activity: 553
this is a great idea, and i'd love to document it.  shoot me an email [email protected] and we can talk.

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
Here is a howto I found on how to get the Pi to boot from an NFS share.

http://www.whaleblubber.ca/boot-raspberry-pi-nfs/

It really should not be all that difficult and since you're not actively using the SD card it will no longer corrupt them. The bootloader is the only thing loaded from the SDcard and that's a READ ONLY operation.

Activity: 658
CCNA: There i fixed the internet.
you cant really compare bitfury and antminer,  when antminer uses double the power.... the market sets the price.....  so as long as people are paying what bitfury asks.... then the price is fair....   when people are no longer buying..... the price should drop.....    basic economics.....  if you are selling something at $400,    and people buy it....  why would you drop the price?   

At 15 cents per kilowatt hour, the Antminer only uses ~$20 more in electricity per month at ~200 GH/s, so clearly BitFury gear should not command such a large price premium.

Exactly, 20 a month isn't anything to get the miner now and cheap! I bought 1 antminer at 4.25 four at 2.25 I will get crazy with it at 1.45, And the antminer is standalone, no backplane no rasberry pi no sd card. Just plug it in and program it, then leave it alone.

I would think that when bitmain was doing slow releases with group buy and auction, bitfury had more business because of shorter supply and they were the same price per gh, I would assume now they are going to have to get more price competitive to keep in the game.

+1. Even if the bitfury was price-competitive (factoring in a small premium for lower power draw), it is not a plug-and-play system. it needs tweaking, has trouble standing upright, and seems to obliterate SD cards just a little too frequently. I had a power outtage for 1hour, and all the antminers came back online without a problem. the bitfury sat for almost a day because it fried the SD card (second card it has totally trashed, not just corrupted) and I had to go and purchase 2 new cards for it.

This might be a little bit more complex to setup, but have you looked into booting the Raspberry PI off of a NFS network share (network booting essentially). This way constant writes or power outages will not kill your sd cards.

that might not be a bad idea, but it would still require an SD card in the rPi, which seems to be the weak point in any case. plus, I use a laptop so probably not a solution if i am jumping around the house and/or leaving the network at times.

Once its up and running its fine - its just the power changes that kill the cards so I leave the system to do its thing undisturbed

The issue with the rpi and sd card corruption/murder lies in using the CARD as the OS storage space and chainminer is constantly reading/writing to that space in the form of logs, etc .

The rpi requires an sd card to boot.

But if properly configured with your favorite bootloader, u-boot for example, this can point to anywhere to load the OS: SD card, USB drive (flash or hdd), NFS(would most difficult to configure), etc.

Then after bootloader passes off execution to the kernel, if it's not located on the sd card, voila, sd card comm is no longer needed and corruption should not be an issue.

I can akin it to telling the windows loader on an x86 system:

Default: hdd0, load windows 7
Opt 1: hdd1, load windows xp
Opt 2: hdd2, load Linux

YES it can be done. NO,  it is not as easy as
Code:
sudo dd bs=2m if=raspian.img of=/dev/path/to/sdcard

TL;DR I'll try an come up with a guide for anyone who wishes to try it out. I would do a video on actual bitfury hardware if I had any(waiting on tax return :/).  But at least I can demonstrate it on an rPi.

GUIDE TO COME..... soon!
legendary
ASIC Wannabe
you cant really compare bitfury and antminer,  when antminer uses double the power.... the market sets the price.....  so as long as people are paying what bitfury asks.... then the price is fair....   when people are no longer buying..... the price should drop.....    basic economics.....  if you are selling something at $400,    and people buy it....  why would you drop the price?   

At 15 cents per kilowatt hour, the Antminer only uses ~$20 more in electricity per month at ~200 GH/s, so clearly BitFury gear should not command such a large price premium.

Exactly, 20 a month isn't anything to get the miner now and cheap! I bought 1 antminer at 4.25 four at 2.25 I will get crazy with it at 1.45, And the antminer is standalone, no backplane no rasberry pi no sd card. Just plug it in and program it, then leave it alone.

I would think that when bitmain was doing slow releases with group buy and auction, bitfury had more business because of shorter supply and they were the same price per gh, I would assume now they are going to have to get more price competitive to keep in the game.

+1. Even if the bitfury was price-competitive (factoring in a small premium for lower power draw), it is not a plug-and-play system. it needs tweaking, has trouble standing upright, and seems to obliterate SD cards just a little too frequently. I had a power outtage for 1hour, and all the antminers came back online without a problem. the bitfury sat for almost a day because it fried the SD card (second card it has totally trashed, not just corrupted) and I had to go and purchase 2 new cards for it.

This might be a little bit more complex to setup, but have you looked into booting the Raspberry PI off of a NFS network share (network booting essentially). This way constant writes or power outages will not kill your sd cards.

that might not be a bad idea, but it would still require an SD card in the rPi, which seems to be the weak point in any case. plus, I use a laptop so probably not a solution if i am jumping around the house and/or leaving the network at times.

Once its up and running its fine - its just the power changes that kill the cards so I leave the system to do its thing undisturbed
legendary

legendary
ASIC Wannabe

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000
New chips, huh?  Time for a little efficiency showdown with friedcat?
Activity: 553
you cant really compare bitfury and antminer,  when antminer uses double the power.... the market sets the price.....  so as long as people are paying what bitfury asks.... then the price is fair....   when people are no longer buying..... the price should drop.....    basic economics.....  if you are selling something at $400,    and people buy it....  why would you drop the price?  

You know I wonder if they really have an incentive to get competitive. My hunch says no, they do not. I think they have all the money the could ever need and enough income from their massive farm to acquire more than enough future funds for either re-investment in new tech or adding additional hashing power. But I could be wrong.

Dave mentioned to me that there are new chips and products in development.  I don't know any specifics, nor do I know any pricing.  

I also want you all to know that your requests are not falling on deaf ears, and I do pass along valid pricing issues to him.

Thanks again,
-Jason
legendary

You know I wonder if they really have an incentive to get competitive. My hunch says no, they do not. I think they have all the money the could ever need and enough income from their massive farm to acquire more than enough future funds for either re-investment in new tech or adding additional hashing power. But I could be wrong.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
The "market" is misguided as clearly some miners don't understand basic economic principles. I also suspect that some miners are using hardware as a sort of long bet on btc. They figure who cares if they overpay for hardware now when the bitcoins their gear mines today will be worth a lot more tomorrow and in the end they will be in profit overall.
As has been stated many times before ...
If you buy BTC then you will have X BTC.
If you buy Hardware that mines BTC, in the long run it will generate less than X BTC.
If BTC/$ price goes up, down, sideways it doesn't really matter.
More BTC is ... more BTC.

And if a reader fails to understand either allinvain or kano, I have an offer for you. Give me 10 btc now, and I'll give you 5 btc back at some time in the future when the exchange rate is twice three times what it is now. Good deal, right?
Pages:
Jump to: