Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★ - page 101. (Read 825850 times)

Activity: 443
Merit: 250
What would you like to know, everything?  My request for transparency is exactly the same request as yours.  I think at this point it's important for Drak to let us know on record what's been happening.  The last he told me back in December (and probably the biggest event that was supposedly happening behind the scenes) was that Patrick Byrne reached out to him about getting involved in the Medici project.  Not only am I suspecting that isn't happening at this point, but now I'm beginning to wonder if that was ever really going to happen.  I think it's best for Drak to disclose everything to the community now, don't you?
Activity: 448
I was led to believe there was much more happening and now I suspect that's not really the case, which is why I think the best approach moving forward for the community as well as the project is to take assessment of what's happening, what exactly funds have been used for to date, and how much of the original funds remain.  

As far as my involvement goes, from the beginning, I've pushed this coin behind the scenes.  I've probably been one of the largest evangalists for the coin.  Hell, I even converted 200k VIA for XCH even though I wasn't totally excited about a second raise, but wanted to support the coin properly.  I introduced Btcdrak to Expresscoin, and pushed to have Expresscoin adopt VIA (which eventually fell through because Btcdrak mishandled the press release and ran it without their review).  Ultimately this cost me my relationship with Expresscoin, as their CEO was going to add the coin as a personal favor.  I'm pointing this out specifically as an example about the level of involvement that I've had with this coin, and that when I say there are things happening behind the scenes I typically am in the know.  With this coin, while before I thought a lot more was happening, I'm beginning to suspect that's no longer the case and I have some very serious concerns.

I tend not post too often, but I have a history of working closely with alt coins and helping them achieve their goals.  Fwiw, I was also personally responsible for having DRK added to Bitfinex, I helped create the Darkcoin Foundation, I brought aboard the single largest investors to both DRK and VIA, among other things (if you would like other examples of my involvements).  

At this point I think it's best to get some transparency, and go from there.

Ok, then I guess you should not limit yourself to this example. Otherwise, it only leaves ample room for speculation.
I was led to believe there was much more happening and now I suspect that's not really the case, which is why I think the best approach moving forward for the community as well as the project is to take assessment of what's happening, what exactly funds have been used for to date, and how much of the original funds remain.  

As far as my involvement goes, from the beginning, I've pushed this coin behind the scenes.  I've probably been one of the largest evangalists for the coin.  Hell, I even converted 200k VIA for XCH as a show of support, even though I wasn't totally excited about a surprise second raise.  I introduced Btcdrak to Expresscoin, and pushed to have Expresscoin adopt VIA (which eventually fell through because Btcdrak mishandled the press release and ran it without their review).  Ultimately this cost me my relationship with Expresscoin, as their CEO was going to add the coin as a personal favor.  I'm pointing this out specifically as an example about the level of involvement that I've had with this coin, and that when I say there are things happening behind the scenes I typically am in the know.  With this coin, while before I thought a lot more was happening, I'm beginning to suspect that's no longer the case and I have some very serious concerns.

I tend not post too often, but I have a history of working closely with alt coins and helping them achieve their goals.  Fwiw, I was also personally responsible for having DRK added to Bitfinex, I brought aboard the single largest investors to DRK, VIA and XCH, among other things (if you would like other examples of my involvements).  

At this point I think it's best to get some transparency, and go from there.

Activity: 448
Otoh and I have basically written off our investments in VIA and XCH (between the syndicate of investors I work with it is around 3M VIA).  A lot has been mishandled behind the scenes.  At this point, I'd like to see some transparency as to how the original funds have been used and how much of the original funds remain.  I've been very close with the projects since it's inception.  It's probably best to just disclose everything so the community knows where things stand moving forward.  

I think the window of opportunity VIA ever had has been missed, mostly due to Btcdraks inability to create any sort of meaningful adoption of VIA.  

I'll be putting a more official post together soon, but in the meantime feel free to ask any questions.

-masternode

...sooo your last post was on how much is going on behind the scenes and now you are disapointed about the same thing. Wtf is going on here?
Otoh and I have basically written off our investments in VIA and XCH (between the syndicate of investors I work with it is around 3M VIA).  A lot has been mishandled behind the scenes.  At this point, I'd like to see some transparency as to how the original funds have been used and how much of the original funds remain.  I've been very close with the projects since it's inception.  It's probably best to just disclose everything so the community knows where things stand moving forward.  

I think the window of opportunity VIA ever had has been missed, mostly due to Btcdraks inability to create any sort of meaningful adoption of VIA.  

I'll be putting a more official post together soon, but in the meantime feel free to ask any questions.

-masternode
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
Thanks to barabbas the thread started to come alive again.
+ bravo Barabbas. Nevertheless, I find the forum rules much to the point. No excesses. Constructive feedback is sufficient. A bit of temperament as Barabbas is showing is giving the forum some liveness, but please contribute with intelligence and be to the point. Many crypto bittalks forums have been restarted because of just negative and adolecent level Fud. Some even have started plural new forums.

The barely half a dozen visitors that, maybe, have read the last couple of pages? It will take weeks, if not months, for a decent amount of visitors to read what has been posted here the last couple of days.

I follow this forum almost daily. It will take 5 or 10 minutes to read the last couple of pages, not days or weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
Strawman arguments again. It's time to stop repeating yourself over and over. You've made your points. I think we all understand it clearly.

Another subjective opinion self-elevated to dogma. Who's "we". The barely half a dozen visitors that, maybe, have read the last couple of pages? It will take weeks, if not months, for a decent amount of visitors to read what has been posted here the last couple of days. 99% of the other times supporters and even current supporters don't visit this forum anymore regularly, because it was dead until the day before yesterday. It's better that they don't read points made? is it better that those points are buried by a few other pages and left to be forgotten? Only for those defending a deplorable status quo, I'd venture. What is wrong with repeating some very valid arguments, especially when NOTHING is being done about them? Why do you feel a military-type of censorship, "benevolently -if arbitrarily- applied", by you, is required? How come you have no interest whatsoever in engaging in any kind of conversation outside of the tech aspects of the project and, yet, you are almost paranoid about keeping "the rules" of a forum that you personally despise? What is it that brings you to the forefront with the (more or less) veiled threats? Shouldn't any moderation, if absolutely inevitable, be in the hands of the Community Manager and not in those of the tech dev?

Truth is that no matter how many times repeated, the itch for control, for silencing critical voices will always be prevalent in you. And that's precisely why it is IMPERATIVE that such potential is taken completely away from you. On to the scissors, I guess...
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
Strawman arguments again. It's time to stop repeating yourself over and over. You've made your points. I think we all understand it clearly.

Retaining the right to self moderation is essential IMO. Using it sparingly is vital.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
In any case, I'm not sure how effective a long BCT thread is anyway as a communication tool, especially with trolls who don't wish to respect the forum rules. Certainly from my side, I have no purpose except to update the resources links in the OP. The main communication portal as far as I am concerned for new version releases is the blog and twitter, and there is r/viacoin for news repostsand discussions. Anything else just get buried here.

Bitcointalk?  Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.   Cheesy

Just kidding.  Nothing gets "buried" here from those of us who know how to dig.

Bitcoin (and Monero, etc) do just fine in this rowdy atmosphere.  Is VIA not also antifragile?

Vanishingly few will follow VIA to boring deserted places like blog/twit/reddit.

Don't retreat.  Letting "trolls" run you off looks terrible and doesn't help your coin.

Embrace the trial by fire and learn to use the energy here for VIA's advantage.

Energy : The last 48 hours are a good example of the latent interest here. Critical discussion is a good start, whatever it is called.

Like many Cryptos which are technically good or innovative, VIA is in need firstly of wider adoption (the big issue always). A bigger dev team is also essential if there is to be real growth. IMO that is a very big ask, and awareness of the key advantages of VIA/XCH can really only be spread properly by intelligent marketing.

There are substantial financial institutions out there right now making their first real investigations of the feasibility of Blockchain Transactions/Registers, and VIA is not going to appear on their radar without a huge increase in visibility.

legendary
Activity: 1064
legendary
MODERATION RULES

No spamming. Keep on topic.
Duplicate posts will be deleted.
Abusive comments will be deleted.
Baseless accusations will be deleted.
Posting fabrications is not allowed.
No cross-posting with other topics. Keep on topic, this thread is about Viacoin.
Opinion posts are welcome, but please back up your point of view and do not repeat yourself multiple times. Seeking clarification is OK or adding new information to support your views.
3rd party projects, other projects, related services and products like independent wallets and services should not be advertised on this thread.
Advertising mining pools is prohibited by BCT rules, so if you have a pool, send a PM and we may add it to the OP and viacoin.org website.

And how about removing the self-moderated condition, instead? We do not have anything to hide, right? then why self-moderated? why those peculiar and dictatorial rules designed to curtail freedom of speech and leaving the censor scissors in your very subjective hands? what is the damage if someone decides to FUD here? It would be a good opportunity, if anything, to objectively rebut whatever allegations, with facts and figures, right? What is the advantage of censorship? haven't you had enough of it already and its subsequent consequences, decimating the price?

Apparently not...
legendary
MODERATION RULES

No spamming. Keep on topic.
Duplicate posts will be deleted.
Abusive comments will be deleted.
Baseless accusations will be deleted.
Posting fabrications is not allowed.
No cross-posting with other topics. Keep on topic, this thread is about Viacoin.
Opinion posts are welcome, but please back up your point of view and do not repeat yourself multiple times. Seeking clarification is OK or adding new information to support your views.
3rd party projects, other projects, related services and products like independent wallets and services should not be advertised on this thread.
Advertising mining pools is prohibited by BCT rules, so if you have a pool, send a PM and we may add it to the OP and viacoin.org website.
legendary

oh boy, I know I should not feed but here you go:

dont think that btcdrak is your employee cause you bought some coins of a crypto open source project. You should not treat him like one. Conditions were very clear from the beginning. This is not a traditional organisation and you are not doing any good by being "heroic". Call me a coward, I dont mind. I think you are missing the whole point: Your are not an investor, you are a participant of this project. However, your participation is limited to attacking the most active members of this community.

I can imagine that drak is just tired to respond to the reurcurring shitstoms here. I would find it tireing to allways defend myself against all the paranoia and greed. And if you panic, you clearly invested more than you can afford to loose.

I am in the same boat and lost btc if the price does not recover. Differnce is, I  was aware that this might happen.

Having said that, I am quite confident that he will keep working for this project and that via can be sucessful.

regards,
Karmala
You are totaly right.
And the Barabbas figure that allways has the same to say on every forum page.....just click the ignore button

The thread being "alive" is, obviously, positive. But what I believe it is important is not so much that it is alive, with members of the community coming in and asking for communication , offering ideas, etc, which is all very positive by comparison to the thread, the communication and the price, being dead or dying. I believe the really positive thing is that both the dev (kind of) and the Community Manager have shown up perhaps as a con sequence of the "noise" and have shown that if not exactly ALIVE, the project at least is not totally left to continue drifting into obsolescence. perhaps they both realize now that they need to not just get much more involved in a much more frequent basis, but actually DO SOMETHING or, more importantly, GET A BUNCH OF THINGS, that are imperative, DONE.

And, even more important, the community -or some of its members at least- realize now clearly that if nothing is done, the project will inevitably die, no matter how "advanced" technically it pretends to be. Unless the community demands, and engages in, real action, neither drak nor Eric will do anything. They didn't before, why would they do it now. They both believe that "giving the circumstances" they have done and do more than enough. It is up to the community to let them know where everyone stands. And, needless to say, to force on them to keep this thread REALLY ALIVE.
Activity: 290

oh boy, I know I should not feed but here you go:

dont think that btcdrak is your employee cause you bought some coins of a crypto open source project. You should not treat him like one. Conditions were very clear from the beginning. This is not a traditional organisation and you are not doing any good by being "heroic". Call me a coward, I dont mind. I think you are missing the whole point: Your are not an investor, you are a participant of this project. However, your participation is limited to attacking the most active members of this community.

I can imagine that drak is just tired to respond to the reurcurring shitstoms here. I would find it tireing to allways defend myself against all the paranoia and greed. And if you panic, you clearly invested more than you can afford to loose.

I am in the same boat and lost btc if the price does not recover. Differnce is, I  was aware that this might happen.

Having said that, I am quite confident that he will keep working for this project and that via can be sucessful.

regards,
Karmala
You are totaly right.
And the Barabbas figure that allways has the same to say on every forum page.....just click the ignore button

Activity: 204
Merit: 100
It's a maintenance release that restricts valid signatures to exactly what is mandated by DER encoded signatures to make the consensus rules not depend on OpenSSL's signature parsing.
Sure Lol

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
In any case, I'm not sure how effective a long BCT thread is anyway as a communication tool, especially with trolls who don't wish to respect the forum rules. Certainly from my side, I have no purpose except to update the resources links in the OP. The main communication portal as far as I am concerned for new version releases is the blog and twitter, and there is r/viacoin for news repostsand discussions. Anything else just get buried here.

Bitcointalk?  Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.   Cheesy

Just kidding.  Nothing gets "buried" here from those of us who know how to dig.

Bitcoin (and Monero, etc) do just fine in this rowdy atmosphere.  Is VIA not also antifragile?

Vanishingly few will follow VIA to boring deserted places like blog/twit/reddit.

Don't retreat.  Letting "trolls" run you off looks terrible and doesn't help your coin.

Embrace the trial by fire and learn to use the energy here for VIA's advantage.
legendary
I don't recommend to waste much money on marketing at this moment. Development and communication is the key.

I still believe in the fundamental idea here: a specialized blockchain free of bitcoin politics. In comparison with Counterparty/Mastercoin approach, there are both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure there is a niche for Via to fill.

I think communication is lacking here. It' s really sad to see how drak underestimates this forum. Reports should be regular, there should be explanations. What is BIP66, for example? How will it help Via?  Etc, etc. What's the development strategy now? Will Via/xch just follow Btc/xcp development? Or is there a plan to develop something to use via blockchain unique features (like longer op code)? (To differentiate the product from Btc/XCP)?

All the useful information should be collected and published somewhere (webpage, blog?), but it should be always posted here.

Don't worry about the fud. Dead coins don't have fudsters. Silent threads are worse than fudded threads.

It's a maintenance release that restricts valid signatures to exactly what is mandated by DER encoded signatures to make the consensus rules not depend on OpenSSL's signature parsing.

I linked to BIP66 in the previous post, here it is again https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0066.mediawiki - but it's not really anything consumer facing. It's a fix for something ugly that has been a problem in the Bitcoin protocol for a long time.
legendary
I don't recommend to waste much money on marketing at this moment. Development and communication is the key.

And, yet, you don't know where VIA is development-wise -I am assuming you consider development only the tech aspect of it-, since you confess below you have no idea what BIp66 is which is the next (tech) thing coming. I am wary to imagine what your concept of "communication" is, considering that you have no idea, as stated, where VIA is technically (or, as you call it, "in development").

I still believe in the fundamental idea here: a specialized blockchain free of bitcoin politics. In comparison with Counterparty/Mastercoin approach, there are both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure there is a niche for Via to fill.

And that niche should introduce itself and come here and say: "Oh darn, this is exactly what I was looking and hoping to find for my "niche". KI just don't like Counterparty/Mastercoin and wanted a different option (of the same thing?Huh). So glad I found you... by the way it was quite difficult to find yuo because in the usual channels there never was even a slight mention of you..." Furthermore, you are assuming, without any knowledge of such whatsoever, that there "is a niche for Via". You are quite sure of it. What others things are you "sure" of, just to get a measure of what the actual value of your "sureness" is...

I think communication is lacking here. It' s really sad to see how drak underestimates this forum. Reports should be regular, there should be explanations. What is BIP66, for example? How will it help Via?  Etc, etc. What's the development strategy now? Will Via/xch just follow Btc/xcp development? Or is there a plan to develop something to use via blockchain unique features (like longer op code)? (To differentiate the product from Btc/XCP)?

All the useful information should be collected and published somewhere (webpage, blog?), but it should be always posted here.

No arguments from me there, for I have advocated for it in every possible way. But while this is indeed the window of crypto, it is by no means the only window. And many others should be cultivated, very especially both the specialized and mainstream media. The cognoscenti need to be informed all the time, true, but the rest of the world too. Profusely.

Don't worry about the fud. Dead coins don't have fudsters. Silent threads are worse than fudded threads.

I would agree with that too -although I am SURE not in what you consider "fudsters"-. As a matter of fact, a very decisive first step would be to make of this one a NON CENSURED forum. It seems that of late free speech discourse is being supported... that very good. It hasn't been so in the past and, unless it becomes non self-moderated it will quickly happen again in the future.
legendary
I'll figure out Morellian with or without additional coders helping. Just might take longer.

I'll do my best to organize anyone who comes forward and volunteers, but again, the tragedy of volunteerism is lack of motivation, especially in the virtual world. I had several people, who seemed willing to take on tasks, that just didn't follow through on them.

Barabbas, I'd encourage you to volunteer any skills you have (you clearly can write) towards adoption as opposed to criticism sans action. (the worst kind of criticism, really) And as I've said all along, anyone can be a "community manager". Just step up, start doing something. Isn't that the beauty of crypto? There's no board or CEO to answer to. You're all 100% autonomous with how you choose to help spread the adoption. Really think about that for a second. If you've ever worked for a company, there is always the underlying need for someone up the chain to be "ok" with it or for it to conform to company rules and standards. There is no such thing here.

If you have an actual idea (it seems like you probably do) come out with it. If I like it and can do it, I'll do it! If someone else sees it and can do it, they'll do it. No one needs to ask permission or run anything by me or drak. This isn't a business. The rules are not the same.

That said, I agree there should be some kind of budget set aside from the premine for marketing. Not even to pay me. I don't need to be compensated at all. I own plenty of VIA and if it takes off, I certainly stand to benefit. That's compensation enough. But maybe bringing in someone who has a good background in marketing would be beneficial. I mentioned this early on, Drak. "Development" of the coin isn't just code, though it's the majority of it. And it isn't like a public company, where you can just dilute and raise more funds. The premine is it. That's all you've got to work with to actively develop/promote with compensation. Peter was/is an excellent way to spend some of it, and the crypto world will reap the benefits of his work. But if you want this to be more than just a testing ground, consider a budget and a plan. Can work with you on it if you want.

Thank you for your encouragement. Unfortunately there are multiple reasons why I choose to decline your suggestion, among many others, a clash in concept that I would have with you right from the start: I do not believe criticism without "action" is the worst kind of criticism. Not at all. Almost the contrary. So, right there, we would clash. And that's not even counting in the inevitable crashes with someone, who happens to be the ultimate decider, and whose actions (or lack thereof) I find reprobable in 90% or more of the cases. I disagree with you thoroughly when you pretend you don't need an OK here to do anything, when in actuality this is a total dictatorship, no matter how "bening" drak chooses to make it at that at times.

Also, as stated, volunterism should not exist in an obvious "for profit" project like this. NOR, I may add, should all the burden be carried even by the majority stake holders. But yes, leaders should lead. And since they stand to benefit much more than anyone else, they should be leading by example.

Any involvement of mine, of course, would not tolerate the obvious disdain with which drak relates to the supporters and investors in his project, exemplified by the minimal statements like the last one about some BIp66 that no one seems to know what the heck it means, does or how can benefit VIA. He doesn't bother to explain it, much less be enthusiastic or promotional about it. He just dumps it here -which he makes no secret he despises- in the less friendly way possible and goes immediately back to whatever he does in his life with the implication that he will commit some effort maybe twice a year to this thing. And not even a commitment, more like "if I really continue feeling like it" kind of thing.

BHut, being 100% honest as I try to be always, I know my limitations. And to even the thought of entertaining to possibility of working for the benefit of some of the members of the community, would revolt me. As you know, my criticisms are rather start, not precisely sugar coated in many instances. And like some that even concede I may have not just one but several points will volunteer to point out, to some in the community that is too harsh... not to mention the fact that they gladly drink the kool aid that the dev "is not your employee...." etc, etc. I will restrain myself for once, to qualify my feelings towards those people. Lets just nicely put it this way: They are a bit beyond "mutual", ok?

So, once again thanks for the consideration. But no, thanks.

I also believe I can do much more good keeping an eye on developments and actions -or lack there of- from the sidelines. Supporting what I consider positive, criticizing what I consider negative and, like I have just done, offering suggestions. You may keep on considering it "the worst type of criticism" and we will just have to continue to agree to disagree.
Activity: 249

Pages:
Jump to: