Author

Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★ - page 129. (Read 825850 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

You also conveniently forgot blockchain notary, which is actually pretty big.

600 BTC is worth around $225,000 at the moment and could go lower.  I've worked closely with a number of start ups and the cost of having a team of 1 full time developer, one part time dev, and one part time chief scientist would typically be around $15k per month on the low end.  So basically 600 BTC gets them around 15 months of runway under normal start up circumstances.  However unlike normal startups, altcoins can't expect to have the opportunity to raise more capital through later rounds of funding, so the right approach is to be insanely frugile if you want to keep things going for 3 to 4 years.  Expecting him to be spending on much more than the team he currently has would ensure the project doesn't have the runway it needs.    

There's likely a lot more going on behind the scenes than you realize.  For instance, I also work closely with Darkcoin, and helped put together the Darkcoin foundation.  While it might seem like a trivial project, it took us just under 6 months to get it up and running.  Also, we were hesitant to announce anything about it until we knew for certain it would go live.  

Just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean things aren't happening.  

Fair enough.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003
NodeMasters
now my new found blocks are on the right chain
LOL

How much hash are you packing?
2gigs now
Activity: 443
Merit: 250
Did this viacoin ICO really raise over 600 BTC?

900 Btc doesn't seem like a lot of money for a team of Devs, for instance 21 million dollars raised by blockstream towards sidechains development and the Counterparty Devs being funded, millions no doubt, by the overstock CEO. Baffles me why some people think Viacoin raised a huge amount and expect immediate results, should just go badger Blockstream or Counterpary in my opinion. Charlee Lee is another one in the habit of putting down Alt coins that are premined or had ICO's as though it's some kind of detriment to the coins longevity. No doubt working at Google had some advantages for Charlee and Litecoin, working at Coinbase must also help the coin, imagine lots of people believe LTC will be available on the Coinbase platform someday.

I get that. But what Im asking is what have the ICO funds been used for? Im not expecting immediate results, but let me give you a quick outline of what has happened development-wise for viacoin.

-Grynn San hired. (Probably not even part of dev team anymore)
-Peter Todd hired.
-ClearingHouse released.
-A few wallet updates.
-Recent android wallet release.

600 btc just for that? That's literally it in 5 months time, and the top3 happened weeks after launch...so the past 3 months have been lacking. I get it, Im not expecting BTCdrak to spend all 600+ btc within a few months, but after those listed above, there has been no mention of where the remaining funds will be put towards.

In the meantime here are some empty promises from BTCdrak that has never came to realization.
-Weekly updates
-Desktop application

Like I said, its pretty obvious whats going on here. Viacoin is just playing the 'waiting, wishing' game. Im aware of treechains coming up so dont even bother with that. Once thats out, whats next? More empty promises? Near non-existent development hoping a true Zynga scenario would actually happen? If thats the case, I dont know who would willingly want to invest in something like this.

You also conveniently forgot blockchain notary, which is actually pretty big.

600 BTC is worth around $225,000 at the moment and could go lower.  I've worked closely with a number of start ups and the cost of having a team of 1 full time developer, one part time dev, and one part time chief scientist would typically be around $15k per month on the low end.  So basically 600 BTC gets them around 15 months of runway under normal start up circumstances.  However unlike normal startups, altcoins can't expect to have the opportunity to raise more capital through later rounds of funding, so the right approach is to be insanely frugile if you want to keep things going for 3 to 4 years.  Expecting him to be spending on much more than the team he currently has would ensure the project doesn't have the runway it needs.    

There's likely a lot more going on behind the scenes than you realize.  For instance, I also work closely with Darkcoin.  While it might seem like a trivial project, it took us just under 6 months to get it up and running.  Also, we were hesitant to announce anything about it until we knew for certain it would go live.  

Just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean things aren't happening.  

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
LOL

How much hash are you packing?
legendary
NodeMasters
LOL
legendary
NodeMasters
here my getting
{
    "version" : 100500,
    "protocolversion" : 70002,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 462291,
 }

You are not synced properly. What is the hash of block 462291 ? Compare with the has on explorer.viacoin.org
bugger
2873 blocks gone

Specifically you need to check viacoin-cli getblockhash 462291 and check it matches the explorer or you are not on the right fork.

looks like the block download was bad
i have started again
paul@poolserver:~$ ./viacoin-cli getinfo
{
    "blocks" : 438772,
    "timeoffset" : 266,
    "connections" : 10,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 59.07671505,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1406853396,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00100000,
    "relayfee" : 0.00100000,
    "errors" : ""
}

legendary
here my getting
{
 }

You are not synced properly. What is the hash of block 462291 ? Compare with the has on explorer.viacoin.org
bugger
2873 blocks gone

Specifically you need to check viacoin-cli getblockhash 462291 and check it matches the explorer or you are not on the right fork.
Activity: 448
He all,

my woodwallets have arrived! One of the first viacoin woodwallets http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3827/73o4sgr8_jpg.htm

feel free to tip me Smiley
legendary
NodeMasters
here my getting
{
 }

bugger
2873 blocks gone
legendary
here my getting
{
 }

legendary
NodeMasters
here my getting
{
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 0,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 0.29000482,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1406853396,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00100000,
    "relayfee" : 0.00100000,
    "errors" : ""
}
legendary
NodeMasters
Hi
this might be a daft question
but why can i not see any of the blocks i found in any of the explores

Did you upgrade to 0.10.5 before the planned hard fork as advertised since Nov 1?
yes
i only built the pool a few days ago
legendary
Hi

Did you upgrade to 0.10.5 before the planned hard fork as advertised since Nov 1?
legendary
NodeMasters
Hi
        "account" : "",
        "address" : "Vdck8TA8KpLrXeA3qdvZinFLAmVWiN4GdD",
        "category" : "immature",
        "amount" : 5.00000000,
        "confirmations" : 3330,
        "generated" : true,
        "blockhash" : "97b14b05a6961b1bf841438acfdf8b4ef93bc8086f07cb5f13604c4e06c8cca4",
        "blockindex" : 0,
        "blocktime" : 1417701348,
        "txid" : "9336dc5bb3a4648e6e46c9c548bcb48bcdb9812e94054d9508a025f75e757536",
        "walletconflicts" : [
        ],
        "respendsobserved" : [
        ],
        "time" : 1417701208,
        "timereceived" : 1417701208
yeah well, xch is working on custody chains and via on merged mining. Hello? these are substantial developments. Oh, somebody forgot to mention the notary... Treechains will change the cryptolandscape.

In summary, the dev part of this open source project is working fine. There might be some problems in communicating that, ok. However, you can change that by helping me to scan and interprete the updates on github. Its all there.
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
Yeah, i don't see weekly updates.

900 Btc doesn't seem like a lot of money for a team of Devs, for instance 21 million dollars raised by blockstream towards sidechains development and the Counterparty Devs being funded, millions no doubt, by the overstock CEO. Baffles me why some people think Viacoin raised a huge amount and expect immediate results, should just go badger Blockstream or Counterpary in my opinion. Charlee Lee is another one in the habit of putting down Alt coins that are premined or had ICO's as though it's some kind of detriment to the coins longevity. No doubt working at Google had some advantages for Charlee and Litecoin, working at Coinbase must also help the coin, imagine lots of people believe LTC will be available on the Coinbase platform someday.

I get that. But what Im asking is what have the ICO funds been used for? Im not expecting immediate results, but let me give you a quick outline of what has happened development-wise for viacoin.

-Grynn San hired. (Probably not even part of dev team anymore)
-Peter Todd hired.
-ClearingHouse released.
-A few wallet updates.
-Recent android wallet release.

600 btc just for that? That's literally it in 5 months time, and the top3 happened weeks after launch...so the past 3 months have been lacking. I get it, Im not expecting BTCdrak to spend all 600+ btc within a few months, but after those listed above, there has been no mention of where the remaining funds will be put towards.

In the meantime here are some empty promises from BTCdrak that has never came to realization.
-Weekly updates
-Desktop application

Like I said, its pretty obvious whats going on here. Viacoin is just playing the 'waiting, wishing' game. Im aware of treechains coming up so dont even bother with that. Once thats out, whats next? More empty promises? Near non-existent development hoping a true Zynga scenario would actually happen? If thats the case, I dont know who would willingly want to invest in something like this.

What have those funds been used for primarily?

2 developers have been hired as far as I can tell from the blog. Including GynnSann who we dont hear from at all who is probably not even involved with Viacoin anymore. While Peter Todd is a well-known btc core dev, im sure his salary isnt exactly 1 BTC/hr. There has been an android wallet release which took ONLY about 5 months. Yes there are github developments but are basically tiny updates. Nothing worthy has come out of this coin in a few months.

Which again, makes me ask, this viacoin really raise over 600 BTC? What are the majority of those funds being used for? Btcdrak's BTC/USD trading habits? That a serious question.

Compared to a project like ARCH who raised 900 BTC, and so much has materialized in about 2 months time. At least with a project like that, the BTC raised is actually being put into good use as opposed to...who knows what.

I think at this point viacoin is just waiting to be adopted by some company for use. If the plan is really this 'sit and wait' tactic, then i truly pity all the viacoin holders.

And before you guys get all hot headed and delete my post, I am not talking about the price in anyway. Just curious at to what the ICO funds have gone into, because it seems like the dev has not actually put even a quarter  of it into development. 
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
Hi Guys,

As you can see I am not a Pro  Grin
But in my opinion the future of Viacoin could be for a (big) part in the gaming industry.
Maybe you can beat my great image. That wouldn't be to hard  Cheesy

https://i.imgur.com/FUZqd4w.jpg
New XCH/VIA progress report (two-weekly update) http://www.reddit.com/r/viacoin/comments/2oa0xb/xchvia_progress_report_december_2014_update_2/

ps: I would appreciate some help with scanning and interpreting the updates in the github repositories for future progress reports.
Jump to: