Author

Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★ - page 190. (Read 825850 times)

Activity: 394
Merit: 250
Crypto enthusiast
“it’s almost certain that Viacoin will implement CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY first.”
hope Viacoin & Bitcoin are win-win.

and hopefully the testing of tree chains in bitmessage goes well too. but that would technically place us in second place then.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
Recently posted blog article http://blog.viacoin.org/2014/10/01/petertodd-dev-update.html by Peter Todd

Peter Todd - Development Update

CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY - Reference implementation and BIP draft written

I just posted the first stage of my work implementing the new `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` opcode to the Bitcoin development mailing list for peer review. This first stage involves a reference implementation, a full set of unittests, and a draft BIP. Assuming the peer review goes well and no objections are raised to the opcode itself the next step is to plan in detail exactly how the upgrade will happen and how we will test that upgrade in advance.

So what's CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY all about anyway?

Right now in Viacoin and all other Satoshi-derived crypto-currencies you're able to create a transaction that can't be mined until some point in the future using a feature called `nLockTime`. This feature is used as a building block for a lot of other protocols, including micropayment channels, escrows, 2-factor wallets, etc. The problem is `nLockTime` usually doesn't do what we actually want to do: make sure a transaction *can't* be spent a certain way until some time in the future. `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` fixes this problem by putting the time controls of when coins can be spent into the scripting language itself. In addition, since the timelocking is done at the script level rather than transaction level we also protect these protocols against transaction malleability.

Why is all this written for Bitcoin, not Viacoin?

Bitcoin and Viacoin share a common codebase, and most of the top minds in the crypto-currency space are involved in Bitcoin Core development, myself included. Running new features and new ideas past that group is excellent peer review. In fact, an important part of the design of `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` is a clever idea from Bitcoin Core Developer Gregory Maxwell! Of course with the "slow and steady" speed at which Bitcoin Core moves it's almost certain that Viacoin will implement `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` first.

What's going on with treechains?

When I was in London last month I got the chance to speak to one of the Bitmessage devs. To make a long story short, it looks like Bitmessage will make a great "version zero" application for treechains to start testing out the basics of the idea in a real application. You can expect to see some code by the end of this month. Also, if you're in Israel Oct 19th-20th, I'll be speaking at the Inside Bitcoins conference about treechains.

Peter Todd
great dev team

i agree. it is really refreshing to see a team work at a good pace and not be hampered by whatever byzantine politburo commit committee process that currently holds back bitcoin from its full potential.

Activity: 364
Recently posted blog article http://blog.viacoin.org/2014/10/01/petertodd-dev-update.html by Peter Todd

I just posted the first stage of my work implementing the new `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` opcode to the Bitcoin development mailing list for peer review. This first stage involves a reference implementation, a full set of unittests, and a draft BIP. Assuming the peer review goes well and no objections are raised to the opcode itself the next step is to plan in detail exactly how the upgrade will happen and how we will test that upgrade in advance.

Right now in Viacoin and all other Satoshi-derived crypto-currencies you're able to create a transaction that can't be mined until some point in the future using a feature called `nLockTime`. This feature is used as a building block for a lot of other protocols, including micropayment channels, escrows, 2-factor wallets, etc. The problem is `nLockTime` usually doesn't do what we actually want to do: make sure a transaction *can't* be spent a certain way until some time in the future. `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` fixes this problem by putting the time controls of when coins can be spent into the scripting language itself. In addition, since the timelocking is done at the script level rather than transaction level we also protect these protocols against transaction malleability.

Bitcoin and Viacoin share a common codebase, and most of the top minds in the crypto-currency space are involved in Bitcoin Core development, myself included. Running new features and new ideas past that group is excellent peer review. In fact, an important part of the design of `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` is a clever idea from Bitcoin Core Developer Gregory Maxwell! Of course with the "slow and steady" speed at which Bitcoin Core moves it's almost certain that Viacoin will implement `CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY` first.

When I was in London last month I got the chance to speak to one of the Bitmessage devs. To make a long story short, it looks like Bitmessage will make a great "version zero" application for treechains to start testing out the basics of the idea in a real application. You can expect to see some code by the end of this month. Also, if you're in Israel Oct 19th-20th, I'll be speaking at the Inside Bitcoins conference about treechains.

Peter Todd
great dev team
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Peter Todd
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
is this coin dead?

Are you shitting us?

no i know today via coin price will be 20k sat.

Yeah, it's definitely going to crash.  I'll help you out and buy the rest of your VIA at 20k apiece...how much do you want to sell me?  I'm just trying to help...I would hate for you to lose all your money on a shitcoin.
Activity: 258
Breizh Atao
is this coin dead?

Are you shitting us?

no i know today via coin price will be 20k sat.

Good if it is I'll buy more of it. What makes you say that?
Activity: 868
Activity: 258
Breizh Atao
Activity: 868
is this coin dead?
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
“it’s almost certain that Viacoin will implement CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY first.”
hope Viacoin & Bitcoin are win-win.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Just noticed the viacoin blog was posted to r/bitcoin and is on the first page now: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2hzx2z/peter_todd_checklocktimeverify_update_and_hint_at/
Activity: 840
Mintpal V2 migration is ongoing, can't wait for Via new home!

Free and secure, more whales, Via to da moon!
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Viacoin(Via) Chinese OP            https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-via-viacoin-807139

Great, now all we need is for the PLA's pet bankers to ban it, and we're off to the Moon!
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!
any news on VIA market?
a bit old but i just saw this:

btcdrak talking a bit about viacoin WorldCryptoNews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4rYXIwD3OE#t=1844

better check /r/viacoin more often...

more and more ppl know Viacoin now Grin
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
when will http://www.expresscoin.com/ accept viacoin?

Today it is Chinese National day, I go to see my family, later I will post a Chinese Viacoin OP. We need more promotions, afaik only a few Chinese know, hold, invest or mine Viacoin.

its really the BEST time to buy low Bitcoin then buy low Viacoin. Tongue

Looks good if expresscoin.com accept viacoin then price will boost.
Activity: 490
a bit old but i just saw this:

btcdrak talking a bit about viacoin WorldCryptoNews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4rYXIwD3OE#t=1844

better check /r/viacoin more often...
Activity: 703
Merit: 500
is now best time to buy some cheap via?
Jump to: