Author

Topic: [ANN] Zcoin (XZC) - Implementing ZKP privacy without trusted setup - page 169. (Read 663229 times)

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
Mining question : I see a significant amount of mining power just looking at Miningpoolhub's stats page.

I am wondering what is true re: this ( IMHO ) mining "anomaly"...... the hashpower required to put numbers in the top 15 is fairly large....

Whichever equipment is being used to produce it, calculations suggest those committing such number to Zcoin could make significantly more income

mining a few other coins, nets, algos.

>> Are these miner speculating..... dedicated.... Have advantaged software for mining...?

This has been bothering me for awhile now..... I have a small "farm" and could not see profits, at this time, mining Zcoin unless I was speculating on the future....

Am I missing some info here??  

All replies welcome....thanks  Smiley
total speculation, Zcoin undervalued by a long way, look at Zcash, monero, Dash, really it's the only coin offering zero knowledge with an audit able supply
Excellent summation of the potential of XZC, Angus.

Thank you for your replies so far, are most using the tpruvot ccminer at this time ( i mine nvidia ) or is there a better solution on the table (PM welcome if preferred) I really like this coin structure and algo Smiley
I know them, top 15 miner in miningpoolhub are botnet or vps worker. They can use many more cpu for mining not need spend money for do that, so they alway live in top 15 in long time and not care about profit because free all Grin
Activity: 376
Merit: 103
Mining question : I see a significant amount of mining power just looking at Miningpoolhub's stats page.

I am wondering what is true re: this ( IMHO ) mining "anomaly"...... the hashpower required to put numbers in the top 15 is fairly large....

Whichever equipment is being used to produce it, calculations suggest those committing such number to Zcoin could make significantly more income

>> Are these miner speculating..... dedicated.... Have advantaged software for mining...?

This has been bothering me for awhile now..... I have a small "farm" and could not see profits, at this time, mining Zcoin unless I was speculating on the future....

I have same thoughts
Now miningpoolhub hold ~35Gh of 45Gh whole network. The second big pool is suprnova with just ~2Gh hashrate. So we see crazy high centralization by one pool
P.S.: Earlier this month notwork hashrate doubled just in few days.
I can't understand from where are coming these huge amount of hashrate? XZC net hashrate grows very quickly. At the same time, profitability is very low, about 4 times lower than on most other altcoins.
So, this is a botnet, or what is it ??  Huh
77Gh net hashrate it's about 65K pcs gtx 1060 GPUs. Seriously??? and all these miners still mining this coin, while other altcoins offering 3x, 4x higher profit?? smells fishly

Two biggest pools have only ~ 23Gh hashrate! Where the rest net hashrate is sitting? Seems what the resh hashrate is HIGHLY centralised by SOLO miners (botnets)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1002
Quick Dev Update - 27 July 2017
Poramin should be pushing updates to MTP soon to resolve the issues found by mbevand in the bounty.

Djm34 and Leorei have rewritten the rpcmining interface so that it now accepts the larger proofs for the miner.

Aizensou's core upgrade code is complete and testing Zerocoin functions is underway but looks good for the moment.

Core upgrade seems to have improved sync speed and reliability greatly.

With all the progress that's being done with MTP the price is super cheap right now, once MTP is officially implemented and after the BTC fork has passed hopefully it will recover.
Activity: 231
Merit: 101

total speculation, Zcoin undervalued by a long way, look at Zcash, monero, Dash, really it's the only coin offering zero knowledge with an audit able supply

Thank you for your replies so far, are most using the tpruvot ccminer at this time ( i mine nvidia ) or is there a better solution on the table (PM welcome if preferred) I really like this coin structure and algo Smiley
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
To weird to live To rare to die

Activity: 231
Merit: 101

All replies welcome....thanks  Smiley
Activity: 1004
Merit: 268
Firo (FIRO)
Core upgrade is exactly what you guys are asking for. That's a wallet upgrade.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
The development team should improve the wallet and the wallet is too bad
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
 zcoin Wallet too original too antique  Cool Cool Smiley
Firo (FIRO)
Quick Dev Update - 27 July 2017
Poramin should be pushing updates to MTP soon to resolve the issues found by mbevand in the bounty.

Djm34 and Leorei have rewritten the rpcmining interface so that it now accepts the larger proofs for the miner.

Aizensou's core upgrade code is complete and testing Zerocoin functions is underway but looks good for the moment.

Core upgrade seems to have improved sync speed and reliability greatly.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0

I really like this project ! go on devs
Firo (FIRO)
The constant last-minute changes to the PoW are just ridiculous at this point if you ask me.  Every time another one crops up MTP drops a few more notches further down my priority list.

This. IMHO, Zcoin's primary feature over other coins is the Zerocoin protocol, with its auditable supply being a notable difference from Zcash. This is what makes Zcoin great right now, not promises of some future hash algo.

Indeed and Zerocoin is still being actively developed which we will deploy after this together with core upgrade.
Firo (FIRO)

However it would make more sense to have the miner contest end after the audit and implementation contests. Right now the miner contest ends on August 9th and the audit and implementation contests end on August 30th.

We agree with this and will make an announcement on the extension soon. Thank you!

Probably will be a sizeable extension.
Firo (FIRO)
It's not a gag order in any way. The idea for that restriction is that we have time to evaluate the proposals and to assess their legitimacy and see what can be done to fix them.

The last thing we want is FUD created from incorrect submissions or not being able to assess the submissions before publishing especially when only a small subset of people can evaluate the submissions.

There's no running away from it anyway since we already committed to release the information.

However to alleviate any suspicions we are releasing the two submitted bugs thus far both from Marc Bevand (@mrb) which are excellent spots but we are still verifying one of them and making sure we classify it properly.

We will regularly update the submissions on this Wiki page and I have updated our original blog post with it.

In view of the above, we would definitely be extending the GPU miner competition deadline which we will announce after consulting with our miner dev djm34 on what is a reasonable extension.

We really respect the work done by everyone involved in MTP and the whole purpose of the bounty competition which is self funded, is to encourage this.
Activity: 520
Merit: 253
The constant last-minute changes to the PoW are just ridiculous at this point if you ask me.  Every time another one crops up MTP drops a few more notches further down my priority list.

This. IMHO, Zcoin's primary feature over other coins is the Zerocoin protocol, with its auditable supply being a notable difference from Zcash. This is what makes Zcoin great right now, not promises of some future hash algo.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Thanks. Oh and I submitted a 2nd attack, this time a flaw in the MTP algorithm itself. https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/889990807519870979

I think it's incredibly disturbing that the zcoin devs are embargoing these discoveries when MTP has not been deployed yet.  There is no risk of an exploit since the exploitable code has not yet been deployed.  And it sounds like mrb's second discovery is more than the horridly-maintained codebase containing magic numbers like "4034".  But we have no way to know.

Shame on you, zcoin, for bribing researchers into silence.

+1

That way the research can be cited in academic papers. Bribing researchers and then instituting a gag order doesn't reflect well on this project or its contributors. There is no logical reason for exploits on public testnet code to be suppressed.

What I find equally disturbing - the authors of MTP failed to cite Fabien Coelho's earlier work:
"An (Almost) Constant-Effort Solution-Verification Proof-of-Work Protocol based on Merkle Trees"
http://www.hashcash.org/papers/merkle-proof.pdf

My team and I have been researching MTP and Fabien happens to be one of my colleagues. He's working on a paper covering MTP and unlike the "research" happening here, it will be made public.
Activity: 129
However it would make more sense to have the miner contest end after the audit and implementation contests. Right now the miner contest ends on August 9th and the audit and implementation contests end on August 30th.

That's my point -- except that I don't think the contest matters compared to the launch.  Who made more money from Zcash: Tromp or Claymore?  One day of Zcoin mining is worth more than the entire contest prize.

The constant last-minute changes to the PoW are just ridiculous at this point if you ask me.  Every time another one crops up MTP drops a few more notches further down my priority list.  Before your latest post I was fed up enough that I'd decided to wait until after the transition block to start working since at least at that point making any more changes would be more difficult for the zcoin politburo.  Now I'm starting to doubt even that as a reasonable time-management strategy.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
I think it's incredibly disturbing that the zcoin devs are embargoing these discoveries when MTP has not been deployed yet.  There is no risk of an exploit since the exploitable code has not yet been deployed.  And it sounds like mrb's second discovery is more than the horridly-maintained codebase containing magic numbers like "4034".  But we have no way to know.

I don't have a strong opinion about this. Whether vulnerabilities are published today or in a bit less than 2 months (when the contests end) doesn't really matter IMHO...

Activity: 129
Thanks. Oh and I submitted a 2nd attack, this time a flaw in the MTP algorithm itself. https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/889990807519870979

I think it's incredibly disturbing that the zcoin devs are embargoing these discoveries when MTP has not been deployed yet.  There is no risk of an exploit since the exploitable code has not yet been deployed.  And it sounds like mrb's second discovery is more than the horridly-maintained codebase containing magic numbers like "4034".  But we have no way to know.

Jump to: