Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000 - page 25. (Read 2170646 times)

Activity: 243
Merit: 250
Been mining Burst while waiting for any new PoC alt.
Doesn't make sense that there is only ONE PoC.  (Not SIA nor Filecoin included)
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Hello! First post here and to altcoins also. Im setting up my PC with the instructions in post 10826. The setup consist of [email protected] 16G RAM running Lubuntu 17 and for plot file I have 4x250GB SATA HDD configured as RAID0 array for 1TB.

The RAID is redundant - you'll actually read them faster as individual drives, if you are using a CPU-based miner - all of them I am aware of assign one thread to each drive.
 I'm not sure on the JAVA-based GPU miner if it's faster as individual drives, but I suspect it might be.

Yes, I'm aware that RAID0 AKA JBOD doesn't lose space to redundancy.

Activity: 396
Merit: 106
this coin has been pumped a couple times it seems. seems like an ideal target for a pump, low vol , low cap but on poloniex. Hopefully the next one comes sooner then later and is the biggest one yet.

I hope so. Would be great if they can hit that 1000 sats they came close to last time Smiley
The name itself already have something to do with it, BURST.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello! First post here and to altcoins also. Im setting up my PC with the instructions in post 10826. The setup consist of [email protected] 16G RAM running Lubuntu 17 and for plot file I have 4x250GB SATA HDD configured as RAID0 array for 1TB. Simply said I just had to write of a (funny) problem which I had today. I simply could not believe that my PC will plot that array in 11h. So i started to examine the problem and found that i forgot to use AVX2 function. Below direct copys from terminal at exactly the same % of plotting:

Using original algorithm (no SSE4, no AVX2).
Creating plots for nonces 1819530043572518333 to 1819530043576252151 (979 GB) using 12614 MB memory and 12 threads
6 Percent done. 5723 nonces/minute, 10:08 left

Using AVX2 core.
Creating plots for nonces 1094224285103166798 to 1094224285106900616 (979 GB) using 12614 MB memory and 12 threads
6 Percent done. 17494 nonces/minute, 3:19 left

That helped me to reduce the overall plotting time over 3x.

This project is not for financial independence research but just simply learning something different for a while. Tomorrow will do some optimization.

O and BTW I have researched local stores/suppliers and found that in my country(Estonia) the cheapest HDDs are 3TB ones (70EUR); 23,34EUR/TB. All the rest over 1TB are 26...35 EUR/TB.
Activity: 868
Merit: 259
I believe in the possibilities of PoC and continue digging BURST.
I believe it will enter TOP 100 again with CoinMarketCap.

The 100th coin in coinmarketcap.com is a project called Dentacoin with a market value of $40,974,235. Its very possible that Burst can go over that from my perspective. Some of the coins in there dont justify their market value considering that Burst has been around longer and has one of the most unique features in PoC.

Burst is very undervalued today, I dont know why no one can see that.
Activity: 896
Merit: 289
Twitter: @BTY_11073
I believe in the possibilities of PoC and continue digging BURST.
I believe it will enter TOP 100 again with CoinMarketCap.
this coin has been pumped a couple times it seems. seems like an ideal target for a pump, low vol , low cap but on poloniex. Hopefully the next one comes sooner then later and is the biggest one yet.

I hope so. Would be great if they can hit that 1000 sats they came close to last time Smiley

That was Rico's original price forecast for December and has also contemplated that it could also go as high as BTC.000025. He was maybe anticipating BTC going down under $4000 instead of going up to $6000.

So his analysis might have something more to do with what BTC will do, not what worth Burst has under the guidance of the PoCC.
Activity: 322
Merit: 101

Activity: 307
Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

It takes patience. The last serious alt drought took more than two years.

Almost exactly 3 years, between the DASH profitability crash that was caused by the Litecoin price collapse, and the recent across the board price jump this spring.

It was POSSIBLE to earn in the meantime - but you HAD to have very low cost electric to be profitable at all (8 cent/kwh electric I had at the time was LOSING MONEY though not by a lot).

I think the lowest electricity prices are around 3 cents per KWH, so you'd need to be around that range to avoid making a loss.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

It takes patience. The last serious alt drought took more than two years.

Almost exactly 3 years, between the DASH profitability crash that was caused by the Litecoin price collapse, and the recent across the board price jump this spring.

It was POSSIBLE to earn in the meantime - but you HAD to have very low cost electric to be profitable at all (8 cent/kwh electric I had at the time was LOSING MONEY though not by a lot).

Activity: 143
Merit: 10
In the burst wallet still downloading blockchain maybe 50%. Im using i5 CPU with 4 Gig Ram and 1TB byte Hardisk btw Im new in CPU or HDD mining i try to download the burst wallet and follow the instruction in your site, In my Two days of Mining in still waiting to show up the Burstcoin in my Local Wallet but unfortunately still no burstcoin show up... 

Simply installing the wallet and downloading the blockchain doesn't start you for mining. You need to create 'plots' on your drive to take up that 1TB of space (or however much you want to use). Then, those plots will be read on each block to see if it has the best solution for the block.

For a longer primer, though there's a good amount to learn, I'd start with this (somewhat old, but still relevant) article:
https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@cardboard/mining-burstcoin-hdd-is-all-you-need-tutorial-for-newbies
Activity: 336
In the burst wallet still downloading blockchain maybe 50%. Im using i5 CPU with 4 Gig Ram and 1TB byte Hardisk btw Im new in CPU or HDD mining i try to download the burst wallet and follow the instruction in your site, In my Two days of Mining in still waiting to show up the Burstcoin in my Local Wallet but unfortunately still no burstcoin show up... 
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
I got this often

Error ReadFile. code = 1117
Unexpected end of file

What is that?
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
sounds good. I want to join in.How to participate?
Thomas, but you have to see the benefit of Burst's PoC mining to the whole community. Its something very unique and no other project has done it in practice. I have heard about Proof of Space and Time suggested by Bram Cohen but where is the code? In theory its better, but in practice we have only Burst team's experience. They are the true pioneers in hard drive mining. 
Activity: 252
Thanks for the explanations alzander and pinkflower.

The idea for Burst was really to have any spare space you have to mine, not to make mining rigs out of hard drives to make money.

The thing is just... as far as even the PoCC peeps have explained, the mining will not stay profitable for long, since the amount of inflation is getting lower. So something else has to either sustain mining, or pump the use so much that fees make up for it.
Or something has to replace it altogether, while making Burst still attractive. I just haven't seen such plans so far.

I understand that because Bitcoin price is rising almost all alts are going down, but with so many innovations Burst should at least stay on same level (like Syscoin). I really don't understand this dumps.. Sad

It takes patience. The last serious alt drought took more than two years. But staying in Burst has paid off brilliantly back then. 
The potential is there. But I find the space too unpredictable to know when it will happen.
Activity: 2002
Merit: 516

Finally some progress in development! Hopefully it will move price up, because after this last big correction many people lost faith in BURST..
Waiting for green columns on Poloniex  Grin

In the end we should be lucky that Burst is on polo and trex those exchanges can and will give Burst the needed volume to grow. Liquidity makes coins these days and being on top altcoins exchanges combined with the innovation Burst has, can make it grow. More and more use-cases within the burst eco-system are developed!

I understand that because Bitcoin price is rising almost all alts are going down, but with so many innovations Burst should at least stay on same level (like Syscoin). I really don't understand this dumps.. Sad
Do Storj and Sia already work? There were a ton of projects like it, but as far as I've seen, they've all been stuck in development for years.

And is there a specific advantage to use PoC while not using the space for other things? Seems a bit of a waste.

(btw... price might fall under 0.000001 if the alt crash keeps going. I might have to get a bag-refill then.)

It seems like it but the electricity you save compared to PoW mining makes it more sustainable if you think long term. Although it would be nice if the developers found a way to make the plotted space useful.

The idea for Burst was really to have any spare space you have to mine, not to make mining rigs out of hard drives to make money.

And Android mining is now also possible now. Check their site
Activity: 465

Finally some progress in development! Hopefully it will move price up, because after this last big correction many people lost faith in BURST..
Waiting for green columns on Poloniex  Grin

In the end we should be lucky that Burst is on polo and trex those exchanges can and will give Burst the needed volume to grow. Liquidity makes coins these days and being on top altcoins exchanges combined with the innovation Burst has, can make it grow. More and more use-cases within the burst eco-system are developed!
Pages:
Jump to: