Author

Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000 - page 314. (Read 2170648 times)

Activity: 527
Merit: 503
Hi
Is there another HDD mining coin similar BURST?

Nope, not yet

HDD mining is a business where the first-mover coin has a giant advantage, as plotting is power and time expensive, so for a miner to move to some other coin, it would take a much higher ROI on the other coin than on burst.

So i think developers are having second thoughts launching new HDD mining coins cause they know burst have this very big first mover advantage. Much more profitable just to buy a pile of burst, then spend time improving it.

Good point, at this stage, Burst has never been cheaper, so why would you create a competing coin instead of just buying in and helping out the cause?

Please keep dumping miners!  The longer we have low prices the more people who can make a real difference in the long run we can get invested!

I thought miners were just any computer with hard drive space and you don't need a super computer just storage space to spare?

I have 10TB of unused space that I will slowly fill, but just have an average computer at best?  Is it worth it for me to do this?  Any calculator?

If you have to buy the storage space.. at this point probably not worth it, just directly use that money to buy Burst.  But if you have already existing storage, then why not?  It's basically free money!!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Hi

Nope, not yet

HDD mining is a business where the first-mover coin has a giant advantage, as plotting is power and time expensive, so for a miner to move to some other coin, it would take a much higher ROI on the other coin than on burst.

So i think developers are having second thoughts launching new HDD mining coins cause they know burst have this very big first mover advantage. Much more profitable just to buy a pile of burst, then spend time improving it.

Good point, at this stage, Burst has never been cheaper, so why would you create a competing coin instead of just buying in and helping out the cause?

Please keep dumping miners!  The longer we have low prices the more people who can make a real difference in the long run we can get invested!

Main reason i think BURST is going to survive and become real alternative to bitcoin is because this is only Eco friendly coin. Look over global industry. Everything is build to consume less electro. Only BURST is cheap in terms for electro use and not loud for home users. Community is small now but imagine if this become real value coin. Every one is going to run in home on his spared HDD space plots and mine. No other cripto can get so many users for support it.

I thought miners were just any computer with hard drive space and you don't need a super computer just storage space to spare?

I have 10TB of unused space that I will slowly fill, but just have an average computer at best?  Is it worth it for me to do this?  Any calculator?

I use very old PC for mine and its work fine. Spec: AMD Phenom II X4 940, 4GB ram, Win 8.1 20950GB total plot size, Blago miner 1.150401.
My CPU is main limit factor and still its work. With 10TB space i think you need to go pool mine.

http://burstcoin.eu/calculator
You are going to get less from what calc say but still its give ~~ idea what to expect.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
Hi

Nope, not yet

Please keep dumping miners!  The longer we have low prices the more people who can make a real difference in the long run we can get invested!

I have 10TB of unused space that I will slowly fill, but just have an average computer at best?  Is it worth it for me to do this?  Any calculator?
Activity: 527
Merit: 503
Hi

Nope, not yet

Activity: 539
.....You wont need 64GB ram for mining but for plotting going to be good.  ....
that depends on the OS and number of simultaneous threads doing the reads.  on win7 for ex, 64GB can handle 10 concurrent threads that handle 20 drives.

I thought on win 7 the the ram usage is ZERO now like in win 8.1?

When you mine, you also need RAM. On my setup, each miner needs 700 to 1000 MB, depending on stagger size (higher stagger seems to need more RAM). On my setup, each miner can do one harddisk, so basically i need to have 1GB * number of disks RAM free when the system is running, before mining is started. Plus some RAM for the wallet. I'm on Windows 7 on one of my pc's and its 24GB ram seems to work okay with 4 * 4TB disks. With Windows 10 the need for extra RAM on top of the 1GB per miner is a lot smaller, windows 7 has a problem with lots of concurrent file reading, it fills up its RAM and page file with file cache data, and starts eating system and process RAM and crashes itself eventually.  If you are building something, consider using windows 10. I have two windows 10 boxes mining away, and they run pretty smooth for now, but I have had a few weird issues not related to burst - Windows 10 is stil beta after all.  Much less issues with Windows 10, than Windows 7 though - Windows 10 manages its file read cache a lot more effectively.

Windows 10 when released will be free if you have an existing windows licence (as far as i understand it) but the current test versions seems not to concern themselves a lot about older licenses, ive installed windows 10 on a totally wiped SSD and that worked out fine.

There is also a well functioning burst stack for linux, but i have not had the opportunity to test it, so can't really comment on that.

Or you could use Blago's miner - I'm mining 29 disks/directories from one miner instance,  using < 100MB total.

H.

I haven't looked into it, but do Blago's miner support solo mining on windows?

Yes.
Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Wow, there is no single BURST in exchanger at all?  Huh

And look at last added wallet, a big burst holder with 100mil  Shocked

It confirmed by mistake, there is no confirmation tx from its own address in tx history, so how could it be in confirmed list?
Look at 1burst tx from BURST-X7GR-GMAD-V3LP-3WNMX (russian miner).
Reported to burstbank, hope they will fix it soon.

Address BURST-SCM6-ARG7-4E6B-F6BPZ
17293592525873211409    4,583.00 Burst   BURST-BV3X-SPJN-DQMN-BZKZE   2015-04-06 23:00:32
13746187994510816113    1.00 Burst   BURST-X7GR-GMAD-V3LP-3WNMX   2015-03-23 12:20:38
7224558533841151423    100,000,000.00 Burst   BURST-R8SQ-TUEM-DTHQ-7ATA3   2015-03-01 02:28:31
2865280889748785161    9.00 Burst   BURST-R8SQ-TUEM-DTHQ-7ATA3   2015-03-01 01:36:14
4870733057230845476    10.00 Burst   BURST-R8SQ-TUEM-DTHQ-7ATA3   2015-02-28 23:53:28
that depends on the OS and number of simultaneous threads doing the reads.  on win7 for ex, 64GB can handle 10 concurrent threads that handle 20 drives.

When you mine, you also need RAM. On my setup, each miner needs 700 to 1000 MB, depending on stagger size (higher stagger seems to need more RAM). On my setup, each miner can do one harddisk, so basically i need to have 1GB * number of disks RAM free when the system is running, before mining is started. Plus some RAM for the wallet. I'm on Windows 7 on one of my pc's and its 24GB ram seems to work okay with 4 * 4TB disks. With Windows 10 the need for extra RAM on top of the 1GB per miner is a lot smaller, windows 7 has a problem with lots of concurrent file reading, it fills up its RAM and page file with file cache data, and starts eating system and process RAM and crashes itself eventually.  If you are building something, consider using windows 10. I have two windows 10 boxes mining away, and they run pretty smooth for now, but I have had a few weird issues not related to burst - Windows 10 is stil beta after all.  Much less issues with Windows 10, than Windows 7 though - Windows 10 manages its file read cache a lot more effectively.

Windows 10 when released will be free if you have an existing windows licence (as far as i understand it) but the current test versions seems not to concern themselves a lot about older licenses, ive installed windows 10 on a totally wiped SSD and that worked out fine.

There is also a well functioning burst stack for linux, but i have not had the opportunity to test it, so can't really comment on that.

Or you could use Blago's miner - I'm mining 29 disks/directories from one miner instance,  using < 100MB total.

H.

@ haitch
are you using windows 7 ? cuz that is what all this talk is about?

all I wanna know is IF win 7 uses with the latest blago miner as much ram as any other OS eg. win 8.1 / 10

I've miners on Win 7 and Server 2012 - memory use with Blagos latest is the same: Threads * cache_size * 64 + overhead. My cache size is 8KB, and overhead looks like about 8MB. so for 30 threads, about 15MB for cache and 8MB for overhead.

Earlier builds used significantly more memory, along with a much larger cache size, but on this build, memory is negligible.

H.
Activity: 506
Merit: 252

H.

@ haitch
are you using windows 7 ? cuz that is what all this talk is about?

all I wanna know is IF win 7 uses with the latest blago miner as much ram as any other OS eg. win 8.1 / 10

Activity: 714

Wow, there is no single BURST in exchanger at all?  Huh

And look at last added wallet, a big burst holder with 100mil  Shocked
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
So basically, the set up I'm looking at will do the job?

H.
Activity: 286

Hi

Nope, not yet

Holy cow, BURST was voted second in this competition, https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vote-doneann-the-altcoins-foundation-platform-version-10beta-released-1000833 voted ahead of really big coins like ripple. Burst is poular and has widespread acceptance, we'll mob the floor with most other much higher marketcap altcoins.

With this kind of end user support, burst marketing department might consider doing a campaign for voting burst into some more exchanges - that might allow more traders to be able to trade burst.  
Activity: 588
Hi

Nope, not yet
Activity: 251
Hi
Activity: 207
Merit: 100
for plotting if you dont have a good cpu better buy a 750 ti, plot, then sell it!  Smiley

PS: and...  Sony PetaSite it's for big backup purposes guys!  That only have like 15-30MB/s transfer rate, it's like video tapes, very low speed for Burst mining.
Activity: 506
Merit: 252

Activity: 248
Merit: 100
I'm not real
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Ok guys,

I learned how to do all of this on a very underpowered PC, now I'm going to need to purchase some serious hardware. How does this sound:

64GB DDR4 RAM
58TB storage space
Intel I-7 8 core 3.0 Ghz

I'd be using the CPU miner.

What type of rate should I expect with those specs?

Actually, BURST is very different~~ There is no such CPU or GPU miner...

I think he meant the CPU plotter.

Right, sorry. Plotter is what I meant.

Hah, I should just drain all my money and purchase a Sony PetaSite  Cheesy

But yeah, I'm still a little curious as to what is better.  Do I go for a monster CPU or a monster GPU (or both)?  The only thing this setup would be used for is Burstcoin.  

Also, off topic, but is it more worthwhile to get into Burstcoin mining or Bitcoin mining?  I have seen hardware out there for Bitcoin mining that seems to be equivalent in price to a Burstcoin setup.  

After you end with plotting you don't need GPU for mine so faster CPU is better for sure. You wont need 64GB ram for mining but for plotting going to be good.  With Core i7-5960X i think your limiting on plotting speed is going to be HDD speed for write not CPU vs GPU so maybe you can group HDD in few raids 0 for better overall transfer speed.

TBH pc you plan to buy for burst is way to good Smiley
Jump to: