Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][Datacoin] Datacoin blockchain start announcement (Minor code upd + logo) - page 4. (Read 171808 times)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
PROPOSAL TO CREATE A DATACOIN GATEWAY ON RIPPLE

A Ripple Gateway is like an exchange, and we need NO PERMISSION, but does need some IT skills which should be available in the Datacoin community.  We can set up trading pairs for XRP/DTC, DTC/BTC, DTC/ETH etc.

Ripple seems to help you.  They have something like a support centre for gateways.

This would expose Datacoin to the thousands of users of the Ripple GateHub wallet.

I think this should be doable.  Dash recently did the same thing:  https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-create-the-first-dash-gateway-on-ripple.14721/

It is very easy to create a GateHub wallet - go to www.gatehub.net.

I have a fixed IP address (154.66.207.206).  I understand I have to set up a rippled server.  Anybody else have experience with this?

Make a topic on xrpchat.com. Some Ripple staff read it.
Activity: 481
Merit: 252
Thank you Chicago.  My bad.  Nobody has ever sent me Datacoin so I assumed that 3000 confirmations were needed for ordinary transactions.  So it turns out that normal transactions can already be spent after 6 confirmations.  Then no change in the coin is needed.
Activity: 592
Merit: 259
Is the network working at all? how many nodes are available? Was not there a dangerous blockchain fork?
We've been tracking 20 or better nodes for the last several months.
The coinbase maturity is 3000 and I haven't witnessed any wipeouts due to reorganization.
I say we need to drastically reduce the number of confirmations needed.  All the coins are trying to increase transaction capacity and Datacoin is chugging along at 3000 confirmations.  I understand that it was probably to stop censorship via 51% attacks, but that is not our immediate concern.  We need adoption, and that means network speed.

So I am seriously proposing that we drop the number of confirmations needed to 6. 

We all think that the disappearance of the developer killed the coin.  But if there had been wider adoption other developers would have stepped forward sooner.

Hi Extro,

The two types of transactions to be concerned with here do not affect transaction capacity or network speed by any large measure.
    We're basically speaking to the properties of transaction inputs.
    One case is where the input to the transaction was an unspent output from a mining reward and the other case is an input which happens to be an unspent output from a user signing over some datacoins to another address.

The first type of transaction is just like what you find in the Genesis block.
    These are emissions from the blockchain in the form of miner rewards and are referred to as coinbase transactions.
    Coinbase outputs are created out of thin air due to consensus protocol and proof-of-work; as an incentive to miners for securing the network.

These outputs must be 3,000 blocks deep and considered "matured", before they may be used as an input in another transaction.

The second most common type of transaction is the ordinary transaction where an unspent output held by one address happens to be signed over to another address as an input within a transaction.
    The owner of the matured datacoins may spend them and use them as inputs in a new transaction.
    The new owner will have unspent outputs which can be used in a subsequent transaction.
    The new owner will not need to wait 3,000 blocks.
    These types of transactions are the common transactions you are referring to which typically have 6 confirmations before they may be used as an input in another transaction.

In other words, if you buy some datacoins on an exchange you do not have to wait 3,000 confirmations before the coins are yours or to be free to spend them.

COINBASE_MATURITY has nothing to do with transaction capacity whatsoever.  It is a consensus rule which helps people from losing coins.
    If you want to decrease it substantially, first we must grow the network such that the proof-of-work hashrate is orders of magnitude greater and sustain it for a very long time and only then *maybe* consider reducing COINBASE_MATURITY.

Here's how it works.  Let's suppose there is a fork.
    Now, let's suppose the fork isn't reconciled for 500 blocks.

Now let's suppose merchants are concerned they will lose datacoin as a result of the 500 block deep reorganization.
    Since the transactions are going to be reconciled on both sides of the fork, none of those merchants will lose any datacoin.
    The above statement precludes any malicious intent or attempts to double-spend.

... also, since the COINBASE_MATURITY is 3,000 there will be no chance for "new" coins from the losing fork to have ever been spent because the fork was small ( 500 < 3000 ).
    Therefore, only valid coins would ever be spent on a 500 block re-organization and the transactions will reconcile on both sides of the fork.

The only loser in a 500 block re-organization when there is a 3,000 confirmations deep network confirmation protocol would be the pool or miner who happens to have been on the losing fork.

Hopefully this helps to clarify how COINBASE_MATURITY is a relatively insignificant feature of the protocol when it comes to evaluating network speed.

Network speed is governed by target spacing, hash rate and peer connectivity.
    The target spacing determines how many seconds / minutes there are supposed to be between each block.
    The hash rate being regular and sustained keeps the network hitting its target (difficulty) at the prescribed time repeatedly.
    The peer connectivity helps to relay new blocks and transactions in a timely manner.
    These properties are within our control by influencing an outcome where we achieve an ever increasing hash rate and continue to add new well-connected nodes to the peer swarm.

Best Regards,
-Chicago
Is the network working at all? how many nodes are available? Was not there a dangerous blockchain fork?

Hi WGD,

The coinbase maturity is 3000 and I haven't witnessed any wipeouts due to reorganization.

Best Regards,
-Chicago

I say we need to drastically reduce the number of confirmations needed.  All the coins are trying to increase transaction capacity and Datacoin is chugging along at 3000 confirmations.  I understand that it was probably to stop censorship via 51% attacks, but that is not our immediate concern.  We need adoption, and that means network speed.

So I am seriously proposing that we drop the number of confirmations needed to 6. 

We all think that the disappearance of the developer killed the coin.  But if there had been wider adoption other developers would have stepped forward sooner.
I was going to write and post a short progress report but “partner support mode” has been engaged, so ... later.

Not unreasonably, I've been asked if I would care to elaborate on the meaning of “partner support mode” ... Ngaio has a LTMC, fibromyalgia. In direct consequence my primary role is now to support her, engaged at the drop of a hat (literally). Which is why I insistently style myself as a “contributor” and not a “dev”. My own LTMC is CAD, l survived an infarct over a decade ago. You know the old Queen track, “Waiting for the hammer to fall”? A favourite of mine.

Cheers

Graham

Sorry to hear that.  You need to drink regular glasses of red wine.  The Mediterranean diet and all that....  My uncle had a heart attack a few years ago, and he is basically being kept alive by raw garlic and liberal amounts of red wine.  Cleans out the arteries.

Hi WGD,

Best Regards,
-Chicago
wgd
legendary
Activity: 1815
Merit: 1005
OK, really WTF? WE have http://www.bytestamp.net/blocks/index block explorer, right?

Look at those 2 images:
 http://graymines.net/upload/dtc-be_494986a.png before
http://graymines.net/upload/dtc-be_494986b.png after
 some time, when good blocks on pool changed on bad blocks.
Even in block explorer blocks change.

1st I've checked when I saw info there is block explorer, left page opened few hours when I was busy in work,
now I checked same blocks again.... hashes differ. Even in block explorer hashes changed. Really? LOL.

How my pool can trust ANY blockchain source?Huh
How any miner can mine if ANY time blockchain can change without any known reason?

Roll Eyes
PROPOSAL TO CREATE A DATACOIN GATEWAY ON RIPPLE

A Ripple Gateway is like an exchange, and we need NO PERMISSION, but does need some IT skills which should be available in the Datacoin community.  We can set up trading pairs for XRP/DTC, DTC/BTC, DTC/ETH etc.

Ripple seems to help you.  They have something like a support centre for gateways.

This would expose Datacoin to the thousands of users of the Ripple GateHub wallet.

I think this should be doable.  Dash recently did the same thing:  https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-create-the-first-dash-gateway-on-ripple.14721/

It is very easy to create a GateHub wallet - go to www.gatehub.net.

I have a fixed IP address (154.66.207.206).  I understand I have to set up a rippled server.  Anybody else have experience with this?

Activity: 796
Merit: 505
Okay, some plans for dtc.graymines.net for near future (this weekend, unless I'll drink too much :-p):
1) change target from 10 to 9; current diff. is far away even from 9
2) long hard work to change reward calculation; now for safety shave values are calculated from fully confirmed blocks which should become such after 4-5 days
so before that you get those shitty 0.01, 0.1 and for 10- hardcoded 9.6 coins which was quite fair for target 10, but not now. I plan to change it to be calculated from real block value from network.
3) algo is different from all those 'normal' coins, miner can't get same reward for "7" share as for "8" etc. etc.
4) It was about 3 years when I started this pool and knew what was the idea, so please have patience!

With 1 miner now it's safe to give that nice testing person some extra precious coins mined by him as reward for testing (expect this in next week) :-D

M.

1) done.
when I mined with computer with one nvdia card. the pool works well when I mine with two amd card , it stops at connecting to frontend dtc.graymines.net:4444, maybe there is something wrong?

I suppose it happened when I was making update.
In direct consequence my primary role is now to support her, engaged at the drop of a hat (literally). Which is why I insistently style myself as a “contributor” and not a “dev”.

Hi Graham,

I am certain you will be an invaluable partner.
    Best wishes of health to the both of you now and in the future.

Best Regards,
-Chicago
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
I was going to write and post a short progress report but “partner support mode” has been engaged, so ... later.

Not unreasonably, I've been asked if I would care to elaborate on the meaning of “partner support mode” ... Ngaio has a LTMC, fibromyalgia. In direct consequence my primary role is now to support her, engaged at the drop of a hat (literally). Which is why I insistently style myself as a “contributor” and not a “dev”. My own LTMC is CAD, l survived an infarct over a decade ago. You know the old Queen track, “Waiting for the hammer to fall”? A favourite of mine.

Cheers

Graham
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

Cheers

Graham
Datacoin (DTCN) is now listed on C-CEX voting page.  C-CEX says they will change the symbol to DTC.  Go cast your vote with your Bitcoin.

https://c-cex.com/?id=vote
Activity: 47
when I mined with computer with one nvdia card. the pool works well when I mine with two amd card , it stops at connecting to frontend dtc.graymines.net:4444, maybe there is something wrong?
Activity: 47
it seems the pool dtc.graymines.net works. I am the second miner Smiley
Okay, some plans for dtc.graymines.net for near future (this weekend, unless I'll drink too much :-p):
1) change target from 10 to 9; current diff. is far away even from 9
2) long hard work to change reward calculation; now for safety shave values are calculated from fully confirmed blocks which should become such after 4-5 days
so before that you get those shitty 0.01, 0.1 and for 10- hardcoded 9.6 coins which was quite fair for target 10, but not now. I plan to change it to be calculated from real block value from network.
3) algo is different from all those 'normal' coins, miner can't get same reward for "7" share as for "8" etc. etc.
4) It was about 3 years when I started this pool and knew what was the idea, so please have patience!

With 1 miner now it's safe to give that nice testing person some extra precious coins mined by him as reward for testing (expect this in next week) :-D

M.
Ok, I'll try thanks (even tho I have GTX 780 hope it will work).
Yeah now when we are again on the 'wave of crypto' (just like 2013/14), we see that exchanges are more and more greedy, but it also true that they have more and more volume. Even nova has now over 1 milion unique hits a month. That's huge, for such a small exchange. And they are having now over 1 milion $ of BTC daily vol (mostly on scam coins like ATCC or BCC), but still that's huge.

I'm even glad that we at Slimcoin at least have nova (also angry, that we didnt hurry up on listing on other exchanges, like cryptopia or even try bittrex), because now it's almost closed door, for a community driven coins.
Exchanges charge large fees, and they know we don't have choice, because other exchanges arent well known or have 0 vol. Nova is low-vol exchange, but it has increasingly have more and more userbase, same with cryptopia. Bittrex or polo won't take normally coins like ours, even if we provide that we have unique features and other exchanges working, have 0 vol to trade with (even if they have nice interface and security options).
Chinese and indian exchanges are some way to go around, but they also have listing fees (high fees), abd they will likely to take more ICOs now, because it's "popular", than old coins. Also, I don't trust so much these exchanges - we were delisted from chinese one of them, even tho we still had network working, and they took up all coins with them and buried it down lol.
So for now you dont have much option than to trade through forum? Make exchange for yourself (it's managable to create one) or wait dor DEX and decentralized exchanges?

Nova seems to be the cheapest, with just 1BTC for a listing.  If we could get just one listing then we could convert some DTC, as Marcus says.  Some of the people on this thread have hundreds of thousands of Datacoin.  There is even a wallet with 11 MILLION DTC.

I did enhanced verification for Bittrex (passport, photos, the whole works).  Same with Bter.  Then I asked Bittrex, Bter and C-CEX to restore our listing.  Lets hold thumbs for them and BTCPOP.
Activity: 882
Merit: 310
Ok, I'll try thanks (even tho I have GTX 780 hope it will work).
Yeah now when we are again on the 'wave of crypto' (just like 2013/14), we see that exchanges are more and more greedy, but it also true that they have more and more volume. Even nova has now over 1 milion unique hits a month. That's huge, for such a small exchange. And they are having now over 1 milion $ of BTC daily vol (mostly on scam coins like ATCC or BCC), but still that's huge.

I'm even glad that we at Slimcoin at least have nova (also angry, that we didnt hurry up on listing on other exchanges, like cryptopia or even try bittrex), because now it's almost closed door, for a community driven coins.
Exchanges charge large fees, and they know we don't have choice, because other exchanges arent well known or have 0 vol. Nova is low-vol exchange, but it has increasingly have more and more userbase, same with cryptopia. Bittrex or polo won't take normally coins like ours, even if we provide that we have unique features and other exchanges working, have 0 vol to trade with (even if they have nice interface and security options).
Chinese and indian exchanges are some way to go around, but they also have listing fees (high fees), abd they will likely to take more ICOs now, because it's "popular", than old coins. Also, I don't trust so much these exchanges - we were delisted from chinese one of them, even tho we still had network working, and they took up all coins with them and buried it down lol.
So for now you dont have much option than to trade through forum? Make exchange for yourself (it's managable to create one) or wait dor DEX and decentralized exchanges?
OK, finally C-CEX accepted Datacoin for voting but it is not yet appearing on the voting list.  I suppose it will follow in a day or two.  The initial problem was that another coin (DivotyCoin) created in 2017 had chosen the same symbol (DTC).  So I submitted Datacoin as DTCN.  I don't think this DivotyCoin will get anywhere, so hopefully if we get into C-CEX first we can reclaim the symbol.  If I remember correctly, we were listed on C-CEX in the early days but we lost the listing when our developer disappeared.  I will follow up to see if it is possible to reclaim the old listing.

I did register on Nova, and there are no other coins with the same name or symbol.  But they demand 0.16BTC just for getting onto the voting list.  The community will have to cough up that money.  For now I think we have to watch what happens on BTCPOP.  If we are successful there we can swop the Datacoins we mined to pay for the listings on other exchanges.  The first to target would be C-CEX, Nova and Cryptopia.  All you need with these exchanges is money.

Thank you very much for the suggestions so far.  Please keep them coming - I am especially interested in Chinese and Indian exchanges.

Well, I don't have free BTC to give some greedy exchanges, but I can donate some sum of DTC itself ;-)
Pages:
Jump to: