Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][Datacoin] Datacoin blockchain start announcement (Minor code upd + logo) - page 9. (Read 171808 times)

Activity: 481
Merit: 252
We need:

A few people to be publicly identified as the "Datacoin developers".  Some C++ coding skills plus your own Datacoin repository on Github would be needed.  Or maybe we just take the most active people on this tread.

Full integration with Apertus.io.

An exchange.

Something like a "Datacoin Magazine" or "Datacoin News"

We then need to announce all of this with a new OP that is referenced from this thread.

I'll go first.  Anybody else interested?

Activity: 592
Merit: 259
Hello,

Someone is burning a lot of cycles mining Datacoin.
    In the past 24 hours, we have jumped to a difficulty of 7.3 and blocks are being found several times per minute.

Code:
2017-08-15 03:30:54 SetBestChain: new best=7594a59e1211311b99169187f8363cd89d2e1e1307819d408aa2b65bb481b2bd  height=1959345  difficulty=7.3047667 log2Work=13.504695  log2ChainWork=44.258749  tx=2245104  date=2017-08-15 03:30:51 progress=0.999999

One day earlier, on 8-14, difficulty was 6.99.

Code:
2017-08-14 03:30:52 SetBestChain: new best=fc935e650560f39fcca3ff4171211a8993dd68ad2adf04be5dc617485bf567df  height=1954949  difficulty=6.995058 log2Work=12.794213  log2ChainWork=44.258746  tx=2240706  date=2017-08-14 03:30:50 progress=0.999999

Two days earlier, on 8-13, difficulty was 6.99.

Code:
2017-08-13 03:30:46 SetBestChain: new best=28090ab3548cba4cf231b54fb61f0fd714125454014b87f4eae7759f8b424c1c  height=1952510  difficulty=6.9938966 log2Work=12.749869  log2ChainWork=44.258745  tx=2238267  date=2017-08-13 03:30:50 progress=1.000001

Three days earlier, on 8-12, difficulty was 6.99.

Code:
2017-08-12 03:30:46 SetBestChain: new best=dadbaa7a6fe26302567e08cc6bcf6bcc9c559fa9b0b728ece6479b35e0ae1f20  height=1949902  difficulty=6.9922183 log2Work=12.688032  log2ChainWork=44.258744  tx=2235659  date=2017-08-12 03:30:49 progress=1.000001

Four days earlier, on 8-11, difficulty was 6.98.

Code:
2017-08-11 03:30:18 SetBestChain: new best=76cc4738718c01e3b8828495fe0769abb9e03347ead635a362f768d421a6ec2b  height=1946915  difficulty=6.98932 log2Work=12.587309  log2ChainWork=44.258742  tx=2232672  date=2017-08-11 03:30:20 progress=1.000001

Five days earlier, on 8-10, difficulty was 6.98.

Code:
2017-08-10 03:30:49 SetBestChain: new best=d69040ec4119b134e470ab23b4d67cba09e4ec1237d269c352191304d3382e6a  height=1944039  difficulty=6.9856988 log2Work=12.470405  log2ChainWork=44.258741  tx=2229795  date=2017-08-10 03:30:51 progress=1.000001

We can see between 8/10 - 8/11, 2876 blocks had been minted.
    We can see between 8/11 - 8/12, 2987 blocks had been minted.
    We can see between 8/12 - 8/13, 2608 blocks had been minted.
    We can see between 8/13 - 8/14, 2439 blocks had been minted.

In the last 24 hours, 4396 blocks have been minted.

Best Regards,
-Chicago
Activity: 89
Merit: 3
oocook5u was the developer, but he disappeared very early on.  Since then the coin has been limping along, and I suppose we would welcome a new developer.

If there is no any development team, may be there are some experienced people that want to form new dev team.

I want to help with development, ideas or promotion. But I don't have sufficient programming experience.

Please, anyone who want to form new dev team write out here.

I still think the DTC idea is great. It is perfect tool for free speach, censorship-free or hidden messaging.

It can be tool for fighting against corruption. People can publish in DTC blockchain evidences against corruption.

It can be tool for evidence of priority of science discoveries and so on.

Information in DTC blockchain can be opened in browser with URL like dtc:HASH. And no state can forbid the access.

(Sorry for my English)
Does anybody develop DTC seriously at present time?

Where is the original developer?

oocook5u was the developer, but he disappeared very early on.  Since then the coin has been limping along, and I suppose we would welcome a new developer.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1005
think you guys do great work to revive DTC to DATA, will follow your work , if i remember where i held my old wallet.dat i come back for more and hopefully mining

this was great coin years ago and a lot of members hold DCT so o guess that support will follow
cryptrol wrote:
Data is stored *unencrypted* inside the blockchain, unless you encrypt it by your own means. Data can be posted RAW or using the envelope protocol (defined by OP).
I wrote a tool some time ago to read both types of data from a running datacoind using RPC calls .

I tried to install the "Aliens" HTML 5 game onto the Datacoin blockchain, as shown in the very interesting Apertus.io tutorial:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCyxrtbD4lI

To my surprise, the cost was 159DTC.  Embii then informed me that this was because Apertus.io could only store data in 20 byte chunks, not 128kB chunks, so the cost was prohibitive.  If they used the 128kB chunks of the getdata/senddata methods other wallets could not execute the programs from the blockchain.

To quote:  
" FYI: Apertus.io also supports Datacoin's variable field storage. it is a lot cheaper method of storing data. one big problem with it... The datacoin wallet does not allow external wallets to access the variable coin data via RPC calls so any DTC-V etchings can only be rebuilt from the wallet that created it. Sad (fee free to experiment with it by enabling the DTC-V coin within your wallet settings...

We hope that the datacoin development team will fix this someday as it would be a great additional storage mechanism.

DTC standard etching behave the same as all other etchings...They are accessible in wallets that did not archive them."  
End quote.

I believe that it is extremely important to be able to execute Javascript programs cheaply from the Datacoin blockchain, and I ask everyone on this forum to please go through the tutorial and try to etch that alien game into the Datacoin blockchain.  Try to see where the problem is and how we can make this work.  I am not in any way connected with the Apertus.io team, but I believe this would be the "killer app" for Datacoin.  I will even send you some Datacoins, but it is actually very easy to mine them yourself with a cheap or old computer because the difficulty is very very low. If Datacoin can execute Javascript programs it would be "Turing complete", like Ethereum.  

Activity: 89
Merit: 3
Does anybody develop DTC seriously at present time?

Where is the original developer?
Activity: 637
Merit: 500
They can write the data, but no other client can read it.

In rpcwallet.cpp I saw

senddata(const Array& params, bool fHelp)

Yes, this does baffle me.  I thought data was stored without encryption, and that any other client could read it.  We will have to redo the steps that the Apertus.io team went through to understand what went on.  This seems to imply that the block explorer or DTCbrowser (or Apertus.io) must do some sort of decryption.  I also wonder of they were using a client that could not do RPC for getdata.  If I remember correctly the earliest datacoin-hp client could not do RPC.  It was mostly for mining.

Data is stored *unencrypted* inside the blockchain, unless you encrypt it by your own means. Data can be posted RAW or using the envelope protocol (defined by OP).
I wrote a tool some time ago to read both types of data from a running datacoind using RPC calls .

In rpcwallet.cpp I saw

I'm not sure why your correspondent would think that. Certainly senddata must allow the user to provide a password for unlocking an encrypted wallet but there isn't any such requirement for getdata:

https://github.com/foo1inge/datacoin-hp/commit/791125b901767b9dec40e04f6865181a3276395b#diff-e75eff0ce0dde388eddbe3173db85bd4R320

Code:
Value getdata(const Array& params, bool fHelp)
{
    if (fHelp || params.size() != 1)
        throw runtime_error(
            "getdata \n"
            "Returns base64 data from a given tx-hash.");

std::string strHash = params[0].get_str();
    uint256 hash(strHash);

CTransaction tx;
    uint256 hashBlock = 0;
    if (!GetTransaction(hash, tx, hashBlock, true))
        throw JSONRPCError(RPC_INVALID_ADDRESS_OR_KEY, "No information available about transaction");

string data = tx.GetBase64Data();

return data;
}

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Cheers

Graham

Yes, this does baffle me.  I thought data was stored without encryption, and that any other client could read it.  We will have to redo the steps that the Apertus.io team went through to understand what went on.  This seems to imply that the block explorer or DTCbrowser (or Apertus.io) must do some sort of decryption.  I also wonder of they were using a client that could not do RPC for getdata.  If I remember correctly the earliest datacoin-hp client could not do RPC.  It was mostly for mining.
Mr Higgins I work on old Celeron laptops and I have mined tens of thousands of Datacoin.  The difficulty is currently 6.98, so you get about 500 DTC every day from an ordinary computer.

To be honest, I would respectfully differ on changing the Datacoin abbreviation.  I like the idea of saying 100 DTC instead of 100 DATA.

The Apertus.io project tried very hard to get Datacoin to work with their project.  The Storj founder super3 did the same thing with Metadisk, but he wanted to create his own coin.  The Apertus.io people want to work with existing coins, and Datacoin and Apertus seem handmade for each other.  Javascript programs on the Datacoin blockchain that execute when it is browsed is a mouth watering idea.  It would finally unlock the unique promise of Datacoin, which lies in those 128kB.  They did not change the client, and it seems as if they do not have a C++ programmer amongst them.  I may be wrong, but it would have been easier if such a person had produced his own version of the client.  

So we have to figure this out somehow and produce an updated client.

This is a problem in senddata, not getdata.  The Apertus.io people insist they cannot read Javascript programs etched on the Datacoin blockchain with senddata.  It could only be read by the client that etched it.  So we have to drop the encryption in senddata.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
I wish there had been a change to the CLIENT_NAME in src/version.cpp or an incremental update to the CLIENT_VERSION_REVISION in src/clientversion.h because when I look at the peers today, I see 3x as many nodes running /Satoshi:0.8.3/ (datacoin-hp) as I see running /Satoshi:0.8.5/ (datacoin) and I can't tell which are running from the datacoin-project repository and which are running from foo1inge's repository.

The additional seven commits to the datacoin-project are mostly updates to IP addresses. Once synced, there's no functional difference between apps compiled from either repos.

I will try the datacoin-project repository fork of datacoin-hp (named datacoin) once more and figure out why I had stopped using it.  If I am remembering correctly, there was something I didn't find working quite as well as on the foo1inge datacoin-hp repo.

Any difference is sharply limited to the post-fork changes to the datacoin-project repos. Was it the IP address settings perhaps?

Since there seems to be some more interest here in Datacoin overall, I share this information in goodwill.

I find the data storage component to be an interesting variant.

Running the DatacoinMiner with setsievepercentage 40 and setsieveextensions 4 has yielded me a significant improvement in chains per day with the level of difficulty we have been seeing over the past few months.

Are those sieve values very different from your own optimizations?

I work on a cheapo 5-year old Acer i3 laptop (got 8Gb tho') so not in a position to mine DTC. Have you tried g1g0's hp14 version? https://github.com/g1g0/datacoin-hp

Cheers

Graham

There is also a fork of the foo1inge “high-performance” codebase - https://github.com/datacoin-project/datacoin which carries some later commits.

Hi Graham,

I wish there had been a change to the CLIENT_NAME in src/version.cpp or an incremental update to the CLIENT_VERSION_REVISION in src/clientversion.h because when I look at the peers today, I see 3x as many nodes running /Satoshi:0.8.3/ (datacoin-hp) as I see running /Satoshi:0.8.5/ (datacoin) and I can't tell which are running from the datacoin-project repository and which are running from foo1inge's repository.

I will try the datacoin-project repository fork of datacoin-hp (named datacoin) once more and figure out why I had stopped using it.  If I am remembering correctly, there was something I didn't find working quite as well as on the foo1inge datacoin-hp repo.

Since there seems to be some more interest here in Datacoin overall, I share this information in goodwill.
    Running the DatacoinMiner with setsievepercentage 40 and setsieveextensions 4 has yielded me a significant improvement in chains per day with the level of difficulty we have been seeing over the past few months.

Are those sieve values very different from your own optimizations?

Best Regards,
-Chicago
legendary
I'm okay with embracing DATA as the new symbol and I think the community could easily review a simple PR...

Making the proposed changes is straightforward, github offers through-the-web editing. It would be preferable to have the tests passing and a Travis CI .yaml file to run the tests automatically after every commit.

There is also a fork of the foo1inge “high-performance” codebase - https://github.com/datacoin-project/datacoin which carries some later commits.

Cheers

Graham
legendary

In rpcwallet.cpp I saw

I'm not sure why your correspondent would think that. Certainly senddata must allow the user to provide a password for unlocking an encrypted wallet but there isn't any such requirement for getdata:

https://github.com/foo1inge/datacoin-hp/commit/791125b901767b9dec40e04f6865181a3276395b#diff-e75eff0ce0dde388eddbe3173db85bd4R320

Code:
Value getdata(const Array& params, bool fHelp)
{
    if (fHelp || params.size() != 1)
        throw runtime_error(
            "getdata \n"
            "Returns base64 data from a given tx-hash.");

std::string strHash = params[0].get_str();
    uint256 hash(strHash);

CTransaction tx;
    uint256 hashBlock = 0;
    if (!GetTransaction(hash, tx, hashBlock, true))
        throw JSONRPCError(RPC_INVALID_ADDRESS_OR_KEY, "No information available about transaction");

string data = tx.GetBase64Data();

return data;
}

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Cheers

Graham
There's an opportunity to acknowledge the conflict and generously switch Datacoin (DTC) to the unoccupied and definitely safer from future trading symbol clashes Datacoin (DATA).

Hi Graham,

Thanks for suggesting this!

I'm okay with embracing DATA as the new symbol and I think the community could easily review a simple PR which only changes the symbols in the repository code.

At present, DTC only appears in src/qt/bitcoinunits.cpp.

Although, it would be hard to make that one change without also taking the time to update the various locale translations which still use BTC.

Going stepwise through a change from DTC to DATA, we may as well add an updated PnSeed array in src/net.cpp so new peers will easily be able to find the Main swarm as well as uncommenting the block for DNS Seeds and implementing it.

https://github.com/foo1inge/datacoin-hp/blob/master/src/net.cpp#L1194
    https://github.com/foo1inge/datacoin-hp/blob/master/src/net.cpp#L1251

Without too much scope creep; a symbol change can be had along with the homing beacon (DNS Seeds/PnSeed array) and a checkpoint.

https://github.com/foo1inge/datacoin-hp/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp#L37

Our last checkpoint was 1869413 block ago and we're probably due.

Anybody have time or looking for a new project?

Best Regards,
-Chicago
Hello,

Code:
std::string HelpRequiringPassphrase()
{
    return pwalletMain->IsCrypted()
        ? "\nrequires wallet passphrase to be set with walletpassphrase first"
        : "";
}

I see this in src/rpcwallet.cpp.

Are you telling me the ~128KiB data blob is only accessible with the private key of the spender and that the wallet.dat must be encrypted too?

If so... couldn't there be some work-arounds where an M-of-N Datacoin address could be employed to make the ~128KiB blobs available to anybody at the time of publication whereby the publisher says, "BTW, here's the WIF for those so you can decode them."

Best Regards,
-Chicago
legendary
Activity: 2452
Merit: 1025
Energy coin master
Woops!

Sorry.

coinmarketcap don't seem to notice:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/daytradercoin/ “DayTraderCoin (DTC)”

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/datacoin/ “Datacoin (DTC)”

There's an opportunity to acknowledge the conflict and generously switch Datacoin (DTC) to the unoccupied and definitely safer from future trading symbol clashes Datacoin (DATA).

Cheers

Graham

That is a good idea and together with javascript implementation.
Then there can be future for datacoin!
Maybe somebody can help.

I was chatting to Embii on the Facebook page of Apertus.io.  He mentioned that they are able to get Javascript programs to run on Datacoin but only with the 20byte payload, not the full 128kB payload.  They can write the data, but no other client can read it.  With the 20byte payload it is very expensive to write Javascript programs into the Datacoin blockchain (you need to pay 0.05DTC for every chunk of code that gets written and with 20bytes you need a lot of chunks).

From embii:
"we implemented encoding and deciding base 64 for DataCoin...we did get this to work...except what is saved in this manner is only accessible via RPC to the wallet that saved it... this is the real problem and is the main reason we abandoned it. It does have personal applications but does not let you share anything saved with others."

I tried to see if I could find the problem in the Datacoin wallet.  In rpcwallet.cpp I saw

{
if (fHelp || 1 != params.size())
throw runtime_error(
"senddata [data]\n"
" is a base64 encoded data chunk"
+ HelpRequiringPassphrase());

CWalletTx wtx;

// Transaction data
std::string txdata;
if (params.size() > 0 && params[0].type() != null_type && !params[0].get_str().empty()) {
txdata = params[0].get_str();
if (txdata.length() > MAX_TX_DATA_SIZE)
throw JSONRPCError(RPC_INVALID_PARAMETER, "data chunk is too long. split it the payload to several transactions.");
}

string strError = pwalletMain->SendData(wtx, false, txdata);
if (strError != "")
throw JSONRPCError(RPC_WALLET_ERROR, strError);

return wtx.GetHash().GetHex();
}

I suspect HelpRequiringPassphrase() is the suspect. Anybody else have an idea?  We will have to remove this so that other wallets can see the 128kB data in the blockchain.
If this can be done the Datacoin blockchain will contain Javascript programs that will be visible to other clients and executable in the Apertus.io browser.  And maybe other browsers as well.  Datacoin could then use Javascript as a programming language.
legendary
Woops!

Sorry.

coinmarketcap don't seem to notice:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/daytradercoin/ “DayTraderCoin (DTC)”

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/datacoin/ “Datacoin (DTC)”

Cheers

Graham
Pages:
Jump to: