Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][MRO] Monero - an anonymous coin based on CryptoNote technology - page 2. (Read 23515 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
We have added a poll in the freenode IRC room

"Poll #2: "Emission future of Monero, please vote!!" started by stickh3ad. Options: #1: "Keep emission like now"; #2: "Keep emission but change blocktime and final reward"; #3: "Keep emission but change blocktime"; #4: "Keep emission but change final reward"; #5: "Change emission"; #6: "Change emission and block time"; #7: "Change emission and block time and final reward"

To vote type
Code:
vote 2 #

Where # is what you vote for.

Right now everyone is voting for #4, including me.

So what you are saying is this coin will have a reward curve that is in fact nothing at all like bitcoin (which has neither such fast emission nor a  fixed final reward)? Fair enough, but not as advertised.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

"Poll #2: "Emission future of Monero, please vote!!" started by stickh3ad. Options: #1: "Keep emission like now"; #2: "Keep emission but change blocktime and final reward"; #3: "Keep emission but change blocktime"; #4: "Keep emission but change final reward"; #5: "Change emission"; #6: "Change emission and block time"; #7: "Change emission and block time and final reward"

To vote type
Code:
vote 2 #

Please summarise below the pros and cons of each solution.

Edit with the answers:
change emission: need to bitshift old values on the network or double values after a certain block.  controversial.  not sure if necessary.  can be difficult to implement.
keep emission: straightforward, we don't keep change emission or block time.
change final reward is simple.  if (blockSubsidy < finalSubsidy) return finalSubsidy; else return blockSubsidy;
Activity: 910
Merit: 250
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
blockchain.bin will not be written unless "save" is used in bitmonerod.  Save after synching and before exit.
"exit" should suffice, since exit automatically starts a "save" before it exists.
At least this is the way it works with BCN.

Yes that.  Not meaning to spread confusion.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

To vote type
Code:
vote 2 #

Monero Core Team
blockchain.bin will not be written unless "save" is used in bitmonerod.  Save after synching and before exit.
"exit" should suffice, since exit automatically starts a "save" before it exists.
At least this is the way it works with BCN.
Unfortunately there's no blockchain.bin (searched the complete drive), but maybe I have to wait here also.
Hidden folder Smiley
Windows?

Hidden folders are visible...for now I'll just wait.

If nothing happens till tomorrow I'll build the Linux wallet.

user/appdata/bitmonero

~/.bitmonero/ on Linux. Probably %APPDATA/bitmonero on Windows? Name is blockchain.bin

Thanks for the sync-info.

Unfortunately there's no blockchain.bin (searched the complete drive), but maybe I have to wait here also.

You have to type save then enter in bitmonerod before it is written to hard drive

Edit:

must use "save" in bitmonerod before exit or synch from last save will not be written to har drive
Monero Core Team
Hidden folder Smiley
Windows?

If you're on Linux, did you try
Code:
locate .bitmonero
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Activity: -42
Hidden folder Smiley
Windows?

Monero Core Team
Hidden folder Smiley
Windows?
~/.bitmonero/ on Linux. Probably %APPDATA/bitmonero on Windows? Name is blockchain.bin

Thanks for the sync-info.

Monero Core Team
Do I have to wait until the daemon has fully synced?
Yes.

Oh, and where is the blockchain persisted?
"Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon (http://localhost:18081). Daemon either is not started or passed wrong port.
Please, make sure that daemon is running or restart the wallet with correct daemon address."

The daemon is running, started syncing with the network, and is according to its own log listening on its default port (log:  "Core rpc server initialized OK on port: 18081").

There's no local firewall, and I also started daemon and wallet with a different port number.

A telnet to localhost on port 18081 works, so someone is listening.

Do I have to wait until the daemon has fully synced?

Oh, and where is the blockchain persisted?

Monero Core Team
Is this really anonymous?

Can anyone make a clearcut argument as to how it would not be?
I can't find the exact location at the moment, but I read on the white paper that it is not fully anonymous because full anonymity could not prevent double-spending. According to the author, still Cryptonote is easier to handle than Zerocoin (they do not talk about Darkcoin, which did not exist at the time they wrote the white paper. The white paper is I believe the best document to read.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008
Forget-about-it
been mining for hrs with 4h and on other comp at 2h.... nothing found. yet 150k coins out out already. well that was yesterday. more now that more blocks are found...

whats the point to keep mining this. if i will find 15 coins in 24 hrs while others have in tens of thousands. This was suppose to be a fork of bytecoin to fix their problems...

but if i cant mine this. few days from lunch , how will this be appealing later?

also there must be an enhances miner or a private mining pool mining this. there no way 150k coin are mined in 5 days but i can't mine any with 2-4 H

Theres a lot of miners. its not like there are only a handful of miners.. I went all weekend and didn't find a block on hashrate 11.xx.  You people are going nuts over some of this stuff.  Its like a scrypt release if your GPU mining solo and there is high demand guess what, you don't get blocks!  Happens to me all the time.  Luckily with this it can be mined in the background and even a low hashrate should net a few blocks by the end of the week

its not about me not mining a block. its about being 5 days late and not mining anything. its about me having a normal computer chip with 6 threads and not being able to mine anything 5 day later. while few people own 150k+ coins already.

this coin was forket because it was too late to mine Byte coin and %80 already were mined in bytecoin. this coin was forket to give people a new chance to use cryptonotes. it was suppose to be fair.

Well guess what, it is not.

disclaimer: i currently own 0 bytecoin, have not tried to mine byte coin due to all the coins being mined already.

you need more time.  Try showing up to HVC 5 days after launch with a desktop and seeif you solve a block.  Point your rigs at it Monero for 2 days and see what happens.  You can still gpu mine if you do that, and the computer is still usable, but claiming anyone who got here first is on the richlist is madness, theres 30k coins a day Doge puts out that number in a milisecond.  I would be interested to see the wealth distribution.  I mined since day1 and i have ~200 heck i feel cheated Wink
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
Is this really anonymous?

Can anyone make a clearcut argument as to how it would not be?

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
its not about me not mining a block. its about being 5 days late and not mining anything. its about me having a normal computer chip with 6 threads and not being able to mine anything 5 day later. while few people own 150k+ coins already.

You should get a block a day or so. There may be something wrong with your setup, but then again it could be luck. I mine bitcoin on p2pool and sometimes when we had a hash rate for one block per day we've gotten no block for 4-5 days. It happens.

Activity: 238
Stand on the shoulders of giants
For the record I approve of the voting process.

I do not approve of merged mining. It hurts this coin more than it helps it. With what we have done here we can easily build the largest and most secure network using the cryptonote design. We're well on our way to doing that already.

We should just go our own way, and leave bytecoin and its ninja-preminers to do the same.

That is my view.  

You can always make your own fork if you do not agree with developer's position Wink

did you just tell him to go fork himself?  Grin

lol, classic ..

you going to like that video ...
The Wolf of Wall Street: Just the 'F' Words - Supercut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn49DiI9Gag
If mod not move then new thread in ANN with link to this thread and explain why
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
why in gods name are you posting ANN topics in main ?

there is no conceivable way in hell you didn't know better.

if you do this ? i'm out .
The moderator was contacted (theymos, I think) to move the thread but did not act. Deleting it was the first option but someone have reply before it was possible

Yeah, we've been trying to get the thread moved but it looks like Alt Currencies has no moderator (formerly it was Salty Spitoon).
Pages:
Jump to: