Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin - page 12. (Read 89814 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Someone will make an online version soon. But it will probably have to be paid cuz of spam.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
If this service had an android app, I would use it a lot daily

i think it would take your phone a very long time to do the proof of work
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
If this service had an android app, I would use it a lot daily
legendary
Hey a couple years of water boarding is better than execution
Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
Just realize, if you use encryption, you must think in terms of life in prison or why use encryption in the first place

Or you could spend life in prison for failing to turn over your keys.

Or perhaps you just don't want your identity stolen. 

oh you mean the keys i accidentally lost?
You think the for-profit prison system cares that you 'accidentally' lost them?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
Just realize, if you use encryption, you must think in terms of life in prison or why use encryption in the first place

oh you mean the keys i accidentally lost?
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161
After what happened with first bits, I'm not relying on something like that again.

But there must be a way to do it right without serious issues involved...

Take a look: https://bitmessage.org/forum/index.php/topic,2563.0.html Wink  (Sorry for advertising my own work here, though.  But I think this can be really useful.)
legendary
Yeah a local address book that can't be compromised or close
Activity: 632
Merit: 768
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
After what happened with first bits, I'm not relying on something like that again.

But there must be a way to do it right without serious issues involved...
fractally

legendary
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
what are you some sort of russian spy or something?  Tongue

what are you going to get life in prison over should your security become compromised?

C'mon, this is the interwebs, do not take everything that is being said that seriously Smiley

Mr. bitpop is probably just having some fun here.
legendary
Let's just say I have a special pen pal
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Redundant vs life in prison...

what are you some sort of russian spy or something?  Tongue

what are you going to get life in prison over should your security become compromised?
legendary
Redundant vs life in prison...
fractally
The encryption behind BitMessage is solid and adding PGP is entirely redundant.   

The problem with OTR is exchanging the initial public key.  DH does not prevent man in the middle attacks.   The problem with Certificate Authorities is they are only as secure as the weakest link.  Other forms of key exchange are not 'easy to use' and ultimately result in BM style 'address exchange' over an out-of-band channel. 

BitMessage has some weaknesses and the whole address structure, signing key vs encrypting key is ultimately based upon a poor understanding of the possibilities with ECC DH.   I am working on a C++ / Qt based enhanced version of BitMessage that solves many of the problems of BM including the addresses and use of ECC that is lower bandwidth and yet more secure.

This will be released as part of beta-testing the P2P network / broadcast code behind BitShares.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
I would still use pgp.. for certain messages. Bm hasn't been fully audited yet, a vulernability could exist.
Plus your keys could be stolen like a wallet.
Its motivating that Im not the only paranoid person here Wink I believe that paranoia is an evolutionary benefit in the society we got today.

How much would an audit cost?  Which entities could perform a trusted audit?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
I managed to create a .app/dmg of Bitmessage after I got it to successfully install on my Mac. So far I've had a couple of people report that it works, but feel free to test it out.

Credit: medoix for technical assistance

Ok, here's the link: https://mega.co.nz/#!PJFB3bjQ!N_4SGGxo5gcr65ubabowd1dZPTpIOdf_Pb2j7hBO9js
legendary
Hmm whatever keeps me out of jail ;-)
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161
I don't see how it's better and there's no client.

The point with OTR is (as also written in the article linked from the previous poster) is that, as far as I understand it, it creates a "temporary secret" used only for one session and discarded afterwards.  This makes it impossible for an attacker in the middle to store the communication and decrypt it later if the private key of one of the users involved is disclosed after the communication.  It also gives deniability unlike PGP where, if a key is compromised, your messages give for instance perfect proof (in court or for whatever reason else) that you actually wrote them (because of your signature).

I'm not sure about an "official client", but there's a library released by the project and it is actively used for instance in Pidgin or Jitsi (also mobile clients are available).  I use Pidgin with OTR for encrypted XMPP chats regularly and it works very, very well.

Note however that I think OTR is much better suited to "instant message like" communication than emails (because it requires a handshake to establish a secure connection, AFAIK), thus I'm not sure how well it would fit to Bitmessage, where sending a message is also quite expensive and takes time because of PoW.
Pages:
Jump to: