Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin - page 14. (Read 89814 times)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0
I made some test and it looks like the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list must be online in order messages send to this address to be received by subscribers.

Why this is needed? Why messages cannot be received if the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list is offline?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Yeah, I'm still getting the (admittedly non-important) issue where my systray icon displays a red circle and the context menu says "Not Connected" even though the client gives green circle and is connected.

And yes, although it makes sense to have all that stuff in the same file (subs, address book, white/black list, messages, etc) I wonder if corrupt messages become an issue. Someone mentioned losing the file because of a corrupt message.... also, smaller backup footprint.

I could imagine that having your saved contacts, subs, blacklist, etc in one file would make that a very tiny file compared to the messages.dat.

But then again, flash drives usually have many gigabytes so this isn't really that important I guess...
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
After what happened with first bits, I'm not relying on something like that again.
Activity: 632
Merit: 768
BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC
I'd like to suggest something:

I guess that Firstbits stuff for Bitcoin addresses that were developed months ago would be a great implementation to Bitmessage as well.

Short bits are easier to remember as an "email address".

Don't you think so?

Here goes the original BTC idea: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/firstbitscom-remember-and-share-bitcoin-addresses-16217
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
this might be bigger than bitcoin.

Um, This is bitcoin. Just without the blockchain. Credit where credit is due  Wink
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
order in numbers
This is such an awesome piece of software. There's so many applications you could develop that integrate it. Can't wait to sink my teeth in.

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

Amazing is putting it lightly. This is almost as revolutionary as Bitcoin itself (maybe I'm going a little overboard?)

no i dont think you are. this could be the backbone for a new internet if the government ever tried to kill switch the exiting infrastructure. it solves the problem of routing across disparate adhock networks. at first it could be used to transfer the relevant information directly, but later it could be used to allow networks to come to agreements on how to structure meshnets. this might be bigger than bitcoin.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm having trouble going to sleep because I can't step away from the protocol. It's so incredibly air tight, and the possibilities are truly amazing. I'm working on a project that's going to be using it extensively.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
This is such an awesome piece of software. There's so many applications you could develop that integrate it. Can't wait to sink my teeth in.

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

Amazing is putting it lightly. This is almost as revolutionary as Bitcoin itself (maybe I'm going a little overboard?)

no i dont think you are. this could be the backbone for a new internet if the government ever tried to kill switch the exiting infrastructure. it solves the problem of routing across disparate adhock networks. at first it could be used to transfer the relevant information directly, but later it could be used to allow networks to come to agreements on how to structure meshnets. this might be bigger than bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I wonder if there would be a way to make a 'super client' of Bitmessage/Namecoin/Bitcoin all rolled into one. Maybe use Namecoin as a bridge between the two. So you could do both secure communications, and payments all in one.

Perhaps it would be interesting to build a browser plugin that pulls all these things together.
order in numbers

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin
order in numbers
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
It also holds other people's public keys, the network object inventory, your subscriptions, and your whitelist and blacklist. So it is reasonably logical that it would also hold your address book.
I think this is flawed: the green stuff is user settings and the red comes from the network. Those should be separated.

I agree that that is the most logical way to separate them. But that isn't what people are asking for.
Yes it is. If you separate them that way, you won't have to worry about corrupt messages causing a loss of settings. Also, this way settings can be backed up easily with minimal storage footprint.
Activity: 249
Merit: 251
It also holds other people's public keys, the network object inventory, your subscriptions, and your whitelist and blacklist. So it is reasonably logical that it would also hold your address book.
I think this is flawed: the green stuff is user settings and the red comes from the network. Those should be separated.

I agree that that is the most logical way to separate them. But that isn't what people are asking for.
0xFB0D8D1534241423
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Oh, that's a GREAT place to put the address book.  Grin

Can you, maybe, put some of those things into user.dat? It kinda sucks losing that file when you receive a corrupt message, and would make backing up much simpler. Plus you maybe would be able to encrypt and password protect that file to keep it from being stolen and someone else using your identity or listening in, which I guess would be simpler than encrypting the entire message db.
Activity: 249
Merit: 251
Another question - backing up the address book. How do I do that. Couldn't find an obvious address book file.
The address book is, uh... in messages.dat. Don't ask me why.

As for upgrading with git, you can "pull" or you can "fetch" and "merge."

And possibly a way to access and import addresses directly from the address book in the "Send" dialogue? This way I don't have to switch tabs and copy+paste manually.

Right click on one or more addresses in your address book and "Send message to this address".

OperationalError: database is locked

A quick google search suggests that you should restart your computer because some process besides Bitmessage might have a lock on the database.
Another question - backing up the address book. How do I do that. Couldn't find an obvious address book file.

BM is so convenient, I just received this message:
Hello, I'm not a member to bitcointalk but BM give a way to help you fast  Smiley just use git pull command for update and the addess of the source only

git pull https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage

Edit: Dev if I ask nicely can I get the Address book put into its own addressbook.dat?
And possibly a way to access and import addresses directly from the address book in the "Send" dialogue? This way I don't have to switch tabs and copy+paste manually.

Sorry I am so needy. Grin

EDIT #2: I broke something. After trying 'git pull https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage $HOME/PyBitmessage/' and variations of that with no success (kept giving me an error about how what I entered was not a git repository) I just downloaded the zip and copied the contents of the "src" folder into the contents of the src folder on my comp. Now when I open it does this:

Code:
reloading keys from keys.dat file
Database file already exists.
reloading subscriptions...
Exception in thread Thread-3:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "bitmessagemain.py", line 2428, in run
    self.conn.commit()
OperationalError: database is locked

Huh

EDIT #3: Another thing I noticed: While I am connected and have a "green light" in the client window, on the system tray, the icon is the little can with the red circle (the disconnected circle?). And when I click on it, the context menu says "Not connected." When I click that, the menu goes away and nothing happens.
(I'm using Linux Mint) 
0xFB0D8D1534241423

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Just download the binary from the site in op
Hey I have a super-noob question about git...
I'm using BM 3.3 and want to upgrade to 3.3-2. Don't know how. Tried "git clone ....." again but wouldn't let me use that command with a destination directory that was full.

Is it something simple, like with bitcoin-qt, where I just replace the main file? Or is there a different command I should use with git? Also want to make sure it doesn't overwrite my keys.dat but I have that backed up anyways.

Pages:
Jump to: